3 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

Do you stuck when installing SimCity 4? Or, do you want a fast game? Here are updated questions and answers that hopefully help you.

1. Q: What's the ideal computer for running SimCity 4?
    A: In theory, all modern computers (running Windows XP and above) should run it smoothly, provided Pentium III CPUs,  32 MB GPU, 1 GB of RAM and around 10 GB of space or higher. But, for ideal gaming experience with mods, you need a high-end Core 2 Duo/Quad or equivalent and above CPU (Core i-series and m-series included) with minimum 4 GB of RAM and modern GPUs supporting DirectX 9. Even if the GPU is supporting DX 9, recent drivers may dropped it so be picky when choosing the right GPU for SC4. Also, use of SSD (SATA or M.2) is recommended, especially if you're want to install a tons of mods.
  2. Q: Can SimCity 4 runs on non-Windows OS?
    A: Yes, you can run it using Wine. However, for some reasons, some apps like Network Addon Mod (the most popular mod) installer doesn't work properly on latest Wine, so you need to install previous version(s) of Wine using PlayOnLinux or PlayOnMac.
  3. Q: Can the CD version works with the latest version of Windows or other platforms?
    A: No, it can't. Since Windows 10, Microsoft has been removed SafeDisc, a digital right management software used by the game for validating copies. Also, Wine doesn't include SafeDisc at all. So, it's recommended to buy the digital version (remember, don't buy on Origin. We'll get into in seconds) or redeem your key.
  4. Q: Is the digital versions patched?
    A: Yes (patched to 1.1.641), with exception of Origin. EA has been made the game sold from Origin to be unpatched and most importantly, unpatchable. The best place to buy SimCity 2000, 3000 and 4 is GoG.com or Steam because it's hassle-less and DRM-free. Note that if you purchase the game from the given link, Simtropolis will be get commissions. This keeping the community alive.
  5. Q: I've installed SimCity 4. Now, what should I do?
    A: Assuming you are using digital version, then you should add basic mods to your game according to this guide. After installing mods, you should read the manual available with the game or download here on the Maxis Files section. Also, this Lifewire article is going to help you too. (I was trying to find the rsc204 article but no results were got)
  6. Q: I want to customize my terrain. What should I pick: SD or HD terrain mods?
    A: If your game runs with the DirectX renderer (it should be default renderer, except if your hardware isn't compatible), then you are recommended to install the HD variant. You will get a high detail yet quality terrain. But, if your game runs with the software renderer, you can't use the HD variant. You can only use the SD variant. The disadvantage is lower detail and quality but with advantages of faster loading and light on system resources.
  7. Q: My computer shows "Can't load DirectX" message! What should I do?
    A: This can occur from incompatible GPU or its driver, or missing DLLs (especially for Wine). Be sure to check your GPU compatibility against DX 9 and check the driver too if the support for DX 9 isn't dropped. If still not succeed, you might try to install ddraw.dll available at https://www.dll-files.com/ddraw.dll.html. Don't forget to backup the original if already exists.
  8. Q: My game doesn't run at all. I need your help!
    A: Simply add -d:software parameter to the game's shortcut(s) available in Start Menu and (if you choose to place it) Desktop so the shortcut's command becomes your game path/Apps/SimCity 4.exe -d:software. It sets your renderer to software renderer so your HD terrain mods will not work. Also, if the problem persists, you can turn off the audio by adding -audio:off to the game's shortcuts. If the game works, the sound and/or graphics driver may not support the game. Try to update the driver and remove the stated parameters and add -audio:on to turn on the audio. You may remove it from the shortcuts if the game runs.
  9. Q: My game is often crashed. How do I do to fix it?
    A: This most probably occur on the non-GoG version since the flag doesn't exist. You can simply add -CPUCount:1 to the game's shortcuts.
  10. Q: The game doesn't expand to all areas of my screen. Am I missing something?
    A: Yes, you are. You need to add -CustomResolution:enabled to enable non-4:3 aspect ratio (ratio between width and height) monitor and -rwidthxheightxcolor depth. For instance, my laptop has 1366 by 768 screen (so, it's 16:9 ratio) and 32-bit color depth (actually, it's 24-bit because 32-bit is the color depth of an HDR monitor if I correct) so the startup parameter need to added is -CustomResolution:enabled -r1366x768x32.
  11. Q: I want to make the game less CPU-intensive and game pausing while the game is inactive!
    A: Add the needed startup parameters available at http://www.wiki.sc4devotion.com/index.php?title=Tutorial:Shortcut_Parameters.
  12. Q: Are there another communities other than this & SC4Devotion?
    A: Absolutely yes! There are City Builders (global), ToutSimCities (French), SimCityPolska (Poland), SimCity.cn (China) and more. In fact, Japanese SC4 community made quality mods same as Simtropolis & SC4Devotion.
  13. Q: What are meaning of BAT, terraforming, BSC etc that making myself confused?
    A: Indonesian community SimCity 4 Kaskus has been made the glossary available for anyone in Indonesian. Here's the translation of the original glossary:

I hope this FAQ helps you. Critics and suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Hiya. Just a few things I noticed.

• In # 4 you might want to say SimCity 4 rather than SimCity 2000 to 4. Then, perhaps, add that 2000 and 3000 are also available from Gog in a separate sentence. I believe it would be more straightforward that way. *;)
  • Also for #4,  the underlying linky for the Gog version of SC4 (which will grant ST a tiny portion of the purchase price) can be:
  • In # 8 another workaround one can test if the game is crashing very quickly after loading is to try the -audio:off switch. In some rare cases there is an incompatibility with the game sounds even tho the music portion does work.
  • In # 9 it is implied the -CPUCount:1 is predominately a fix needed for the CD version. It is needed for all of the digital versions too anytime one has a comp with more than one core in the CPU.
  • For other game parameters you could also add a linky to the Devotion's Wiki article: Tutorial:Shortcut Parameters

*:)

@chfzdn

Nicely done with putting the FAQ together and I'm sure it will be useful, especially for newcomers to SC4.

With the -audio:off command, it might be worth adding how this works as a toggle. Where to enable again, it requires the use of the -audio:on switch. Once starting the game thereafter, this option can be removed since SC4 remembers the last known choice for the startup config. So once it knows to be on, the audio remains enabled.

Also a quick formatting suggestion with your post:

Maybe it's worth spacing out each point with a line break and giving them bold headings. The former can be done by navigating to the end of a sentence and then pressing the Shift+Enter keys one time (at least on Windows systems). Then for the larger headings a simple case of selecting them, clicking the "Bold" option in the editor and increasing the font size (and/or appropriate colour) to make them more distinct from other bolded terms.

Here's a sample preview of the first 3 points I've made to show what it could look like:

Spoiler
  1. Q: What's the ideal computer for running SimCity 4?
    A: In theory, all modern computers (running Windows XP and above) should run it smoothly, provided Pentium III CPUs,  32 MB GPU, 1 GB of RAM and around 10 GB of space or higher. But, for ideal gaming experience with mods, you need a high-end Core 2 Duo/Quad or equivalent and above CPU (Core i-series and m-series included) with minimum 4 GB of RAM and modern GPUs supporting DirectX 9. Even if the GPU is supporting DX 9, recent drivers may dropped it so be picky when choosing the right GPU for SC4. Also, use of SSD (SATA or M.2) is recommended, especially if you're want to install a tons of mods.

2. Q: Can SimCity 4 runs on non-Windows OS?
    A: Yes, you can run it using Wine. However, for some reasons, some apps like Network Addon Mod (the most popular mod) installer doesn't work properly on latest Wine, so you need to install previous version(s) of Wine using PlayOnLinux or PlayOnMac.

3. Q: Can the CD version works with the latest version of Windows or other platforms?
    A: No, it can't. Since Windows 10, Microsoft has been removed SafeDisc, a digital right management software used by the game for validating copies. Also, Wine doesn't include SafeDisc at all. So, it's recommended to buy the digital version (remember, don't buy on Origin. We'll get into in seconds) or redeem your key.

This may help even more with readability of the info. *;)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By kingofsimcity
      KOSC presents: SuperSHK Parking Textures Vol. 1
      Introduction
      THIS PACKAGE IS NOW OBSOLETE. GO HERE:

After weeks of experimentation, I am proud to bring you my first texture set as part of my Superparking project. Originally conceived as a simple modular parking set, it evolved into an extension of the base SHK Parking Pack, and quickly turned into its own beast. Now this agglomeration of random parking lot ideas is finally a reality.
      Overview

This set contains 352 new overlay textures for building and customizing your parking lots to your heart’s content. Many of these ideas were from parking lot layouts utilized by many business parks around North America, such as Denver's Tech Center and Silicon Valley. Note that this set avoids the full-parking-block-on-one-tile option – I’m referring to the single tile textures with back-to-back parking spaces, which has long been a part of SC4 (it shipped with the game!). Unfortunately, most of these are completely unrealistic, since vehicles have either one car length or less to back out on, not to mention the one-car width paths. Ultimately this set is geared for lotting more realistic style of parking, which are largely influenced by our resident nos.17.
      These textures are broken into 4 components, each with separate DATs. The contents are as follows:
      Pack 1: SHK+ Plus Orthogonals
      An extension of the original parking textures (quite literally). Spaces are approximately 20% longer so that the car props now stay within the spaces rather than jut out past – credit goes to MushyMushy for this one. Unfortunately with this change, these overlays aren’t quite compatible with the original SHK end island props, but that’s actually remedied somewhat here as well. This pack also introduces brand new transition pieces which are offered in all 3 standard wealth options with both pavement as well as grass choices.
      Pack 2: Islands, Curbs & Paths
      A set of parking “islands” and curb pieces meant for general pathing. Curb pieces contain all 3 standard wealth grass and pavement options. Also introduces diagonal parking block “bisectors”, which is just a diagonal path that cuts through an orthogonal parking block.
      Pack 3: Junctions and Road Markings
      Contains basic junctions and road markings. Markings include solid median lines in yellow and white, as well as stop signs and zebra crossings. LHD is supported.
      Pack 4: Diagonals
      Contains a basic set of diagonal parking textures and necessary pieces to make fully standalone diagonal parking lots. Includes orthogonal transitions, end islands, and some pathing related pieces. This is the main highlight of this set, as diagonal parking has been a rather neglected component of SC4. Well, not anymore I say!
      Bonus: Lotting Examples
      There’s a small folder included called “Lotting Examples” that contains a few images of layout combinations that are now possible with this set. Hopefully lotters will find this useful .
      This set contains no actual lots -- those will come at a later time!
      Install Instructions
      Drop the files in your My Documents/SimCity 4/Plugins folder. These should show up under the overlay texture section in the lot editor and PIM-X.
      Dependencies
      None. This set will serve as a future dependency for my lots. While it is technically a standalone texture pack, SHK Parking Pack is a requirement to take full advantage.
      Credit to shokthrpy for the original set, which served as the template for me. It wouldn’t have been possible to create this without it! 
    • By ACMDogfight1997
      Hello!
      This is my first post on this website and I'm making this because I have a problem. A few days ago, I've been getting back into SimCity 4 as I feel less and less interested in Cities: Skylines at the moment. My goal, as it is in any city-building game, is to start off with a small town and develop it into a sprawling city. In SimCity 2000 and Cities: Skylines, this is no problem as long as I know the basics and some tips and tricks for improvement but as for SimCity 4, it's a bit more complicated than that. Considering this is the most feature packed title of the whole SimCity franchise from what I know, I would assume this game is not as easy as Cities: Skylines in terms of trying to build a small town with whatever money you have and later develop into a large city. That's fine, but with complicated things are and not as easy to find out, I can never create a city in SC4 that would even come close to what I made in SC2000 or CS.
      At the moment, my biggest issue is that my low-density residential zones have trouble getting to develop despite my low-wealth residential demand at almost 100% at all times. Now I don't know if this is because I haven't developed any neighboring cities for outside connections or there's too much services or there's not enough jobs for everyone or there's not enough parks or a combination of any of these factors but it takes zones a long time to develop. We're talking months of in-game time wasted before anything happens and sometimes it's just one or a few houses that develop and I have to wait more for the rest of the area to develop and even then there maybe a few little areas that still haven't developed.

If you want to see what I created, I have uploaded the folder of the region (which is the vanilla New York region) here (the city is America City in case you didn't know): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hdbPZuxsOnhO921VK732X4S5wg5lIWkD
      No mods were used while making this city and I would like to keep it that way just so I don't have to deal with the hassle of installing, uninstalling, and reinstalling mods for whatever reason. I would like to keep it vanilla as possible but if for whatever reason, I would need to install a mod if I absolutely cannot proceed without them, I will if needed. Thank you and have a nice day!
    • By johnvosh
      Well, I finally decided to start getting back into SimCity 4 after years of not playing it. Took and installed it on an old System I've had for quite a while. Specs are;
      Athlon XP 2500+ Barton, 1.5gb dual channel DDR400 ram, Gigabyte ga-7n400 pro2 motherboard, 20gb Maxtor hard drive, Windows XP SP3, Radeon 9600pro advantage 256mb, Sound blaster audigy, 1280x1024 resolution on a 17" Dell LCD monitor.
      installed SimCity 4 and the Rush Hour expansion plus the latest patch and the latest network mod. Going to start with the tutorials and then then see if I can get my old save games to load.
      Going to be upgrading to an Athlon 64 X2 4400+ in the next month or so and staying with Windows XP. Then need to get the fastest AGP video card I can find at a decent price.
    • By coolant1
      Hello, I'm new to this community, but I did play SC4 before.
      It's been quite some time, but this time I want to make a city in a colder climate, which the default settings just won't do.

So I searched for some climate mods and tree mods, controllers but I'm a bit confused.
      BTW, I don't go for super realism or something like that, unlike some other people dedicated to the community..... honestly too tedious for me lol.
      so maybe tree controllers and the hassle might be over my head,

but honestly I can't stand the oak trees when it's supposed to be -25C in winter and 20C in the summer.

In a nutshell, I'm trying to find

- A good enough climate mod that demonstrates the continental climate (I think -25 ~ 20 C is a bit colder than the average Europe), or one that I can easily change the settings (I only know a little from Ilives Reader, nothing else)
      (Preferrably with snow in the colder seasons)
      - And a tree mod or some tree addition, stuff like pines and other evergreens (I don't honestly think I could bother with the complexity of tree controllers, but maybe I could give it a try...?)

Well, I tried a search but it's harder to find what I want than I thought...... help is much appreciated.
    • By tails2489
      What are your favourite real world cities to recreate?
      What cities have a sufficient number of BATs on the Exchange to make a realistic recreation?
      I have made a NYC, Chicago, Hong Kong, LA and currently working on a London UK recreation. I have also made cities that aren't actual recreations but I use landmarks from 1 or 2 cities only to come up with a familiar look. I have done this with Shanghai, Singapore, Melbourne and a Taipei/Tokyo mash up. I think my next city will be Denver, as thee 3 or 4 largest downtown skyscrapers are on the Exchange as well as the really cool Denver Art Museum. Shenzhen also on the list, with a few cool civic buildings to go along with skyscrapers.