3 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

Do you stuck when installing SimCity 4? Or, do you want a fast game? Here are updated questions and answers that hopefully help you.

1. Q: What's the ideal computer for running SimCity 4?
    A: In theory, all modern computers (running Windows XP and above) should run it smoothly, provided Pentium III CPUs,  32 MB GPU, 1 GB of RAM and around 10 GB of space or higher. But, for ideal gaming experience with mods, you need a high-end Core 2 Duo/Quad or equivalent and above CPU (Core i-series and m-series included) with minimum 4 GB of RAM and modern GPUs supporting DirectX 9. Even if the GPU is supporting DX 9, recent drivers may dropped it so be picky when choosing the right GPU for SC4. Also, use of SSD (SATA or M.2) is recommended, especially if you're want to install a tons of mods.
  2. Q: Can SimCity 4 runs on non-Windows OS?
    A: Yes, you can run it using Wine. However, for some reasons, some apps like Network Addon Mod (the most popular mod) installer doesn't work properly on latest Wine, so you need to install previous version(s) of Wine using PlayOnLinux or PlayOnMac.
  3. Q: Can the CD version works with the latest version of Windows or other platforms?
    A: No, it can't. Since Windows 10, Microsoft has been removed SafeDisc, a digital right management software used by the game for validating copies. Also, Wine doesn't include SafeDisc at all. So, it's recommended to buy the digital version (remember, don't buy on Origin. We'll get into in seconds) or redeem your key.
  4. Q: Is the digital versions patched?
    A: Yes (patched to 1.1.641), with exception of Origin. EA has been made the game sold from Origin to be unpatched and most importantly, unpatchable. The best place to buy SimCity 2000, 3000 and 4 is GoG.com or Steam because it's hassle-less and DRM-free. Note that if you purchase the game from the given link, Simtropolis will be get commissions. This keeping the community alive.
  5. Q: I've installed SimCity 4. Now, what should I do?
    A: Assuming you are using digital version, then you should add basic mods to your game according to this guide. After installing mods, you should read the manual available with the game or download here on the Maxis Files section. Also, this Lifewire article is going to help you too. (I was trying to find the rsc204 article but no results were got)
  6. Q: I want to customize my terrain. What should I pick: SD or HD terrain mods?
    A: If your game runs with the DirectX renderer (it should be default renderer, except if your hardware isn't compatible), then you are recommended to install the HD variant. You will get a high detail yet quality terrain. But, if your game runs with the software renderer, you can't use the HD variant. You can only use the SD variant. The disadvantage is lower detail and quality but with advantages of faster loading and light on system resources.
  7. Q: My computer shows "Can't load DirectX" message! What should I do?
    A: This can occur from incompatible GPU or its driver, or missing DLLs (especially for Wine). Be sure to check your GPU compatibility against DX 9 and check the driver too if the support for DX 9 isn't dropped. If still not succeed, you might try to install ddraw.dll available at https://www.dll-files.com/ddraw.dll.html. Don't forget to backup the original if already exists.
  8. Q: My game doesn't run at all. I need your help!
    A: Simply add -d:software parameter to the game's shortcut(s) available in Start Menu and (if you choose to place it) Desktop so the shortcut's command becomes your game path/Apps/SimCity 4.exe -d:software. It sets your renderer to software renderer so your HD terrain mods will not work. Also, if the problem persists, you can turn off the audio by adding -audio:off to the game's shortcuts. If the game works, the sound and/or graphics driver may not support the game. Try to update the driver and remove the stated parameters and add -audio:on to turn on the audio. You may remove it from the shortcuts if the game runs.
  9. Q: My game is often crashed. How do I do to fix it?
    A: This most probably occur on the non-GoG version since the flag doesn't exist. You can simply add -CPUCount:1 to the game's shortcuts.
  10. Q: The game doesn't expand to all areas of my screen. Am I missing something?
    A: Yes, you are. You need to add -CustomResolution:enabled to enable non-4:3 aspect ratio (ratio between width and height) monitor and -rwidthxheightxcolor depth. For instance, my laptop has 1366 by 768 screen (so, it's 16:9 ratio) and 32-bit color depth (actually, it's 24-bit because 32-bit is the color depth of an HDR monitor if I correct) so the startup parameter need to added is -CustomResolution:enabled -r1366x768x32.
  11. Q: I want to make the game less CPU-intensive and game pausing while the game is inactive!
    A: Add the needed startup parameters available at http://www.wiki.sc4devotion.com/index.php?title=Tutorial:Shortcut_Parameters.
  12. Q: Are there another communities other than this & SC4Devotion?
    A: Absolutely yes! There are City Builders (global), ToutSimCities (French), SimCityPolska (Poland), SimCity.cn (China) and more. In fact, Japanese SC4 community made quality mods same as Simtropolis & SC4Devotion.
  13. Q: What are meaning of BAT, terraforming, BSC etc that making myself confused?
    A: Indonesian community SimCity 4 Kaskus has been made the glossary available for anyone in Indonesian. Here's the translation of the original glossary:

I hope this FAQ helps you. Critics and suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Hiya. Just a few things I noticed.

• In # 4 you might want to say SimCity 4 rather than SimCity 2000 to 4. Then, perhaps, add that 2000 and 3000 are also available from Gog in a separate sentence. I believe it would be more straightforward that way. *;)
  • Also for #4,  the underlying linky for the Gog version of SC4 (which will grant ST a tiny portion of the purchase price) can be:
  • In # 8 another workaround one can test if the game is crashing very quickly after loading is to try the -audio:off switch. In some rare cases there is an incompatibility with the game sounds even tho the music portion does work.
  • In # 9 it is implied the -CPUCount:1 is predominately a fix needed for the CD version. It is needed for all of the digital versions too anytime one has a comp with more than one core in the CPU.
  • For other game parameters you could also add a linky to the Devotion's Wiki article: Tutorial:Shortcut Parameters

*:)

@chfzdn

Nicely done with putting the FAQ together and I'm sure it will be useful, especially for newcomers to SC4.

With the -audio:off command, it might be worth adding how this works as a toggle. Where to enable again, it requires the use of the -audio:on switch. Once starting the game thereafter, this option can be removed since SC4 remembers the last known choice for the startup config. So once it knows to be on, the audio remains enabled.

Also a quick formatting suggestion with your post:

Maybe it's worth spacing out each point with a line break and giving them bold headings. The former can be done by navigating to the end of a sentence and then pressing the Shift+Enter keys one time (at least on Windows systems). Then for the larger headings a simple case of selecting them, clicking the "Bold" option in the editor and increasing the font size (and/or appropriate colour) to make them more distinct from other bolded terms.

Here's a sample preview of the first 3 points I've made to show what it could look like:

Spoiler
  1. Q: What's the ideal computer for running SimCity 4?
    A: In theory, all modern computers (running Windows XP and above) should run it smoothly, provided Pentium III CPUs,  32 MB GPU, 1 GB of RAM and around 10 GB of space or higher. But, for ideal gaming experience with mods, you need a high-end Core 2 Duo/Quad or equivalent and above CPU (Core i-series and m-series included) with minimum 4 GB of RAM and modern GPUs supporting DirectX 9. Even if the GPU is supporting DX 9, recent drivers may dropped it so be picky when choosing the right GPU for SC4. Also, use of SSD (SATA or M.2) is recommended, especially if you're want to install a tons of mods.

2. Q: Can SimCity 4 runs on non-Windows OS?
    A: Yes, you can run it using Wine. However, for some reasons, some apps like Network Addon Mod (the most popular mod) installer doesn't work properly on latest Wine, so you need to install previous version(s) of Wine using PlayOnLinux or PlayOnMac.

3. Q: Can the CD version works with the latest version of Windows or other platforms?
    A: No, it can't. Since Windows 10, Microsoft has been removed SafeDisc, a digital right management software used by the game for validating copies. Also, Wine doesn't include SafeDisc at all. So, it's recommended to buy the digital version (remember, don't buy on Origin. We'll get into in seconds) or redeem your key.

This may help even more with readability of the info. *;)