kotcity

KotCity 0.49.3 (last updated 4/13/2018): an open source city simulator

272 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

On 4/9/2018 at 4:16 PM, chfzdn said:

How about using rolling release as the game's development model? By Wikipedia definition, rolling is the concept of delivering updates frequently to the app. Unlike standard or point release, it doesn't use software version but major version maybe added for convenience. For instance, Solus 3 linux distro only provide the GNOME Settings app in that era, but if you update it using the package manager, the Settings app updated to the new version as possible which the app view is splited into 2 parts, settings and its content (like Settings on Android tablet). Wikipedia said it can be used in the development of any pieces or collections of software (assets, codes, OS' apps etc). We may try to this model to see this model is working for applications like games.

Also, I also curious if this model is applied to apps like 7-Zip and Bitcoin Core. If succeed, this will change our view on software development. Thanks.

In addition to that, https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/The_Rolling_Release_Development_Model is going to help you to implement the rolling release model. Thanks.

First, I said sometime before that I would further illustrate CuRB, but unfortunately the video card I had in my computer (which I used to replace a dying video card) died, so I’ve resorted to using my laptop. I still want to explain CuRB later on, but showing those customised setups may already give you a general idea how CuRB can go. By the way, that last setup I showed was for an angled parking lot; that one was optimised to have as much parking as possible; a more basic version would be exactly like how the NAM’s SAM-1 works except it’s functional and not eyecandy. Now on to the rest of the comment.

I recently pitched the idea about unlocking a steam locomotive by restoring it and getting a historical boost to your city as a result. Well, based off of feedback (IE, what other boost having a steam loco could have), I’ve refined the idea:

A nearby city has offered you one of its last remaining steam locomotives to your city. You can choose to:

• Scrap it - You get a large chunk of cash for doing so but at the expense of historical value.
  • Put it on outside display - You get a small boost in historical value but a small vandalism risk. There is a small fee for building the park, which has an upkeep cost.
  • Build a railway museum - You get a large boost in historical value and a small boost in education. There is a large fee for building the museum, which has an upkeep cost.
  • Restore the locomotive to its former glory. You get a large boost in historical value and tourism. There is a very large fee for restoring the locomotive and constructing a new shed for it, both of which have upkeep costs.

I do have a simpler example, which could look like this:

One of your city’s oldest school buildings is now recognized as a historical building and your local historical society wants to convert it into a museum. Completing this task will grant a permanent historical and education boost to your city. You can choose to:

• Convert the building.
  • Leave building as is.

Note: Only one school in your city will ever be made into a museum, or an advanced version of this task can pick a random building, like a fire station (which would give a fire safety bonus instead of an education bonus).

These special tasks aren't actually the topic I wanna discuss; it's the fact that we have vehicles and buildings that serve more than one purpose, or rather, have a primary and one or more secondary purposes. This gets into my next topic, which I'll show like this:

• Residential + Commercial = RC Mix
  • Industry + Education = Trade school?
  • University + Health = Disease research
  • Industry + Health = KC's equivalent to OSHA
  • Residential + College + Other stuff...? = University
  • Education + Law enforcement = Police academy?
  • University + Transportation = Traffic engineering (Unlocks road micromanagement?)
  • University + City administration = Civil engineering (Unlocks more micromanagement?)

Instead of features being unlocked that have multiple purposes, I propose something like this for unlocking progressively more advanced city features: having a certain amount of whatever you needed unlocks the building or feature. (Fun fact: I commented in my notes that this presentation of combinations was basically a city-builder based off of Doodle God, Little Alchemy, and Elemental 3; if you know what the last one is, half of the game is combining elements with themselves and suddenly realising you have 9223372036854775808 ceramic vessels. The concept is tempting, I will say.)

Obviously, this method of unlocking things is self-explanatory; In SC4, I believe you needed a certain population threshold to be able to use medium and high-density zoning effectively; ideally, those zone levels would be locked behind a population threshold, but they're never locked so you can just zone using whatever and potentially make a costly mistake. C:S locks most things behind population thresholds, but some other things are locked behind having X amount of something. I just want to elaborate on a few examples.

Education, for example, would unlock buildings of progressively higher education levels; elementary school unlocks high school, which unlocks community college, which unlocks university, which unlocks even more options such as disease research (though this requires health buildings). University, in particular, is an insanely complex piece of machinery, and I say this being a university student already. You need apartment complexes for students to live in if they don't go for on-campus housing, you need stores for them to buy groceries from, restaurants for them to eat from, sufficiently large roads to handle all the traffic, some form of transportation system for those who don't have cars, and so on, and that's on top of having all the other levels of education already. I know there's nothing that would simulate individual citizens coming and going (and yes, I know that education systems are different all over the world), but a simplified requirement list could go something like this:

• X amount of high-density residential
  • X amount of stores
  • A bus line
  • All previous levels of education

Power generation would start off with simple methods, such as coal and natural gas. Green energy such as wind and solar doesn't come in until later; green energy should also be weak at first but can be made better with progressively better generations and energy storage; these methods will require high-tech manufacturing (which, of course, requires higher education) and solar panels in particular can also be installed on top of almost anything (so that's electricity plus everything that's a building or house). Here's a case where you don't upgrade almost anything at all: if you luck out with having a really big river, you can power your city with hydroelectricity and have no need to upgrade your power gen beyond unlocking hydroelectricity, and if your generators are that good or you're really energy efficient, you can even sell the excess electricity to the rest of the universe (or Kotiverse in this case).

The biggest takeaway is that any one building type is not isolated from all the other building types. I hope I've explained enough.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Xephren
      New Zealand is a country in the southwestern Pacific Ocean consisting of 2 main islands, both marked by volcanoes and glaciation. Capital Wellington, on the North Island, is home to Te Papa Tongarewa, the expansive national museum. Wellington’s dramatic Mt. Victoria, along with the South Island’s Fiordland and Southern Lakes, stood in for mythical Middle Earth in Peter Jackson’s "Lord of the Rings" films.
    • By DogOfMan
      Hi guys,
      There's just so much I like about this game, that instead of the annoying bits making me go over to Cities: Skylines, I wanted to see if I can enhance the game and mod the annoying bits away. I have actually bought Cities: Skylines but it just seems to lack personality in comparison. If I can't shape SimCity 2013 to my desires then Cities: Skylines is always there as a back-up I guess.
      I'm currently fumbling my way through, my main aim is to change the roads to UK roads. I appreciate there is a EU road pack out there, but it's just not the same! Here are some ideas, I was wondering if any experienced modders out there could point me in the right direction on these, perhaps let me know if some of them just simply aren't possible? That'd save me a bit of time!
      1. Change road textures/painted lines to realistic UK streets (will see how far I get with https://gamebanana.com/tuts/11515).
      2. Change road intersections/painted lines to realistic UK intersections, perhaps remove some crossings - we don't have crossings at every intersection on every road, this is generally for the busier areas/roads. Maybe I'll remove all the crossings from all the roads and add plop-able crossings. Note that right now I'm a total noob at this!
      3. Might add a new dirt road or increase the width of the existing one, perhaps also increase depth of the lot on the dirt road - dirt roads in real life can have large houses and farms on them so why not in the game?
      4. The holy grail for me would be to make traffic drive on the left.
      5. Add a plop-able guard house for luxury estates - perhaps it's possible to modify a police patrol car lot into a guard house that only patrols a designated luxury estate, arresting criminals within that estate and dropping them off at the police station - but this might be too ambitious.
      6. Add or change a park to a farm or field with stable and horses.

Do you think any of these are impossible?
      thanks guys
    • By 1081p
      Notes and stuff: One day, I was looking at the forums (before I registered.) I say a section marked 'City Journals'. I thought 'Hey, that section looks nice, maybe I'll find a nice city timeline in there.' 
      *click*
      Immediately, I saw a thread marked 'Skylines of Cathnoquey.' I thought 'That looks interesting, I should read it.'
      *click*
      I spent the next 3 hours reading it.
      (Good job Linoa, your journal is one of the best I've seen)
      After I was done, I wanted more. Much more. I waited for updates.
      *One week passes*
      Nope.
      *One month passes* 
      Nope.
      *One year passes*
      Still nope.
      There finally was an update in November 2017. I was excited! I thought the series would be revived.
      That was the last update before now.
      (If the author has real-life problems, I understand.) There seemed to be a big hole where the 'Organic City Timeline Journals' category was.
      At this point, my interest in C:S began to rise again. I thought 'Why not make a city journal?' So I did. I tried to make one and lost the save file. 
      (I just remade it.)
      The town that I remade I wanted to be the first town to have the city journal focused on. I hope to update this one until I lose interest within a month for at least a few years until my SSD has no more room for my save files. That town's name was Lynnfield (Named for a reason that you maybe will see once I stop being lazy and make a state map for Lynnfield.)
      So here it is! (Notes are done.) 
      __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
             In northeastern Kabylake province (named for the giant lake in the middle of the province and another hint to where the name Lynnfield came from), at the intersection of Freeway I-670 and A-87 (The major highways in the province) lies a sleepy village by the name of Lynnfield.
      It's an unassuming little town, situated at the tributary of two rivers. This quiet little town of 2.950 hasn't seen much development since its founding a mere 35 years ago.

The city lies just off Freeway A-87. The city is linked to a freeway, connected by a roundabout named Maxwell Circle, aptly named for the giant statue of a GTX 980 in the center. On the other side of the freeway lies the city's farming industry, which has largely driven the local economy and provided the majority of employment in the city.

Freeway A-87, which provides highway access to Lynnfield.

Cosine Co., a major engineering company in Kabylake, recently opened another of its many headquarters, providing Lynnfield citizens an alternative to farm work and a break from the sun and the heat.

Atlantic Salmon Apartments, named for how the colors of the complex resemble the skin and meat of a salmon, is the latest addition to a downtown that otherwise hasn't changed in the past 15 years.

Bob the motorcyclist takes a right turn to the farm he's employed at. He's contemplating leaving the city or applying for a job at Cosine Co., as the city has provided little jobs for college graduates like him.

Lynnfield high school. Built 20 years ago, the school is starting to have an overflow problem and the city, governed by Mayor McFatbags, seems to spend all its budget at improving the Mayor's mansion, so the problem remains. However, elections are coming up, and there's a disruptive candidate that gives the previously uncontesed (for reasons that the city absolutely does not want to disclose) mayor McFatbags a run for his money.

The intersection of Blemont and 7th street, the main East-West and North-South axes of the town. Plans to upgrade the roads and potentially accommodate more new citizens have been stalled by the mayor's monopolistic council, but as mentioned before, there a a wave of young Lynnfielders who are tired of stagnation and corruption in the city and running for a spot in city council and even mayor.

The city hall.
      The 2 main highways near the city provide the city a huge opportunity as a transportation hub, which many of the young Lynnfielders running for city council or Mayor are hoping to take advantage of. Being the largest town within a few tens of miles with low tax rates and easy accessibility, maybe the city will grow some day...
      That's it for today! There probably will be more tomorrow, considering how excited I am at continuing this. This is my first CJ, so feedback is strongly appreciated.
      Edit: Ideas for future updates and mods/assets are also appreciated. The map is Copper Creek, if anyone's curious.

• By Xephren
      Bougainville Island is the main island of the Autonomous Region of Bougainville of Papua New Guinea. This region is also known as Bougainville Province or the North Solomons. Its land area is 9,300 km² and has a population around 243,000
      There was a multi-layered armed conflict fought from 1988 to 1998 between Papua New Guinea and the secessionist forces of the Bougainville Revolutionary Army (BRA), because the locals of the island didn't approve of mining operations operated by Rio Tinto from Australia
      Here's a video i made for this map:

• By Xephren
      Papua New Guinea, in the southwestern Pacific, encompasses the eastern half of New Guinea and its offshore islands. A country of immense cultural and biological diversity, it’s known for its beaches and coral reefs. Inland are active volcanoes, granite Mt. Wilhelm, dense rainforest and hiking routes like the Kokoda Trail. There are also traditional tribal villages, many with their own languages.
      This is part of a 2 piece series of either halves of New Guinea
      This map is at a scale of 1:10, and its still pretty big, infact, this is the biggest map i've made, and probably will make
      Disclaimer: The eastern part of New Britain cant be seen (on my PC atleast) so no Rabaul However i will make up to this with a possible map of the Bismarck Archipelago