TekindusT

Lufthansa's New Livery

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

The rumors we were hearing since a couple of weeks ago, seem to have become a reality. One week before the official livery launch, pictures and renders have been leaked, and all point to a modern twist on a classic livery, other than a full redesign.

Lufthansa-New-Livery-2.png

A lot of specialized outlets have already given their take on it [link], [link]. If you ask to me, I'm remarkably sad of losing the touches of yellow. That specific shade of yellow screamed "LUFTHANSA" at you every time you come across with it in Frankfurt, Munich or Berlin. Even the Apple Wallet boarding pass is nowadays yellow, and really stands out among all the generic dark blue shared by Ryanair and United to name a few. A new all blue/silver tailfin extending down to the fuselage is just one more bland, generic airline amidst them all. Same as Qantas. Same as Joon. Same as so many others. It could be Oceanic Airlines for that matter.

I dislike the new typeface. I like Helvetica. It is reliable. It is solid. It represents everything we want to associate to an airline. I don't like strange and sad rounded approximations to Helvetica which aren't Helvetica.

Not in love with it, probably I'll get used to see it around during the next years.

What do you think of it? Like? Dislike?

Dislike.

As I understand from a financial perspective it is more cost efficient to cut corners where you're able to do so. People want to pay less and less, and in order to pass the savings they wish an airline will have to do without things. It's partly why we don't see the comfort and class of the 70's airlines anymore.

But this livery.. Is less of a service to the airline than it's current one. AA has been introducing former airlines it bought out as heritage aircraft and they do well as a heritage fleet because people recognize them. Their mainline aircraft blend in with every other eurowhite paint scheme, or would if they didn't go with a muted silver. Especially from a distance it's harder to tell from the ground or under a glideslope which airline is which. CNN can't even name certain twinjets correctly most of the time, i'm surprised they don't show photos of the wrong airline more. It's original post-war livery or the 60's livery would look great today. Granted they too were mostly white and grey  but it isn't like they're copying a formula that's getting tired.

White with tail flash and name (through the windows which bothers me the most) is being done everywhere. Unless you're a plane spotter or frequent traveler they all look the same to an average customer. Southwest aircraft went through a change several years ago and while i'm not a fan but at least they can stand out in an endless sea of white jets at any airfield. They stand out from a distance in flight as well, which helps leagues more in air travel as sometimes ATC will call a plane by airline through their IATA codes.

/rant

I like it. It's eurowhite, yes, but that claim implies the old livery wasn't. It's a small change overall, but I like how the tailfin decor continues down, and the new metallic blue looks awesome. Had they kept the logo golden, it would be perfect.

I wouldn't necessarily say the old livery was in line with the Eurowhite design. The grey underbelly breaks the formula in the way where if you were on the ground it's noticeable as not being another all-white jet. The airline once tried a yellow tail, engines, and belly which is unique.

I do agree the metallic blue is a great shade.

• Original Poster
  • Several days have passed and, I don't know if you all have that impression, but I feel I like the new livery a little bit more now. Still not liking the concept of Eurowhite itself, everything being a copy of everything, but it is understandable in this razor-thin margins industry. 

On 9.2.2018 at 11:01 PM, airman15 said:

White with tail flash and name (through the windows which bothers me the most) is being done everywhere. Unless you're a plane spotter or frequent traveler they all look the same to an average customer.

Average customers have already trouble knowing the airline they fly with, especially in an era where codeshares are always written in a teeny tiny size when you're around booking flights. In my experience, very few people actually realize we are doing codeshares at the time of booking. Only frequent flyers and geeks in general tend to put a thought on that. Making all designs even more uniform isn't helping airlines precisely to stand out either.

Back to LH, all electronic-based branding has changed already, as expected. Dark blue and a weird, flimsy-looking interpretation of Helvetica dominate the sights, same as 100 other airlines. Heck, it looks even worse than I imagined at first just seeing the leaked images. It looks like they didn't even align the letters properly, it's a typographic trainwreck.

Tomorrow I'm flying long-haul with LH's 747-400, very probably still sporting with the old livery. The Apple Wallet boarding pass keeps (rather surprisingly) all yellow, which I do like, but the airline's name is written white. Yellow on white, they couldn't even get that right.

• Similar Content

• By TekindusT
        Morning approach to Frankfurt airport. Weather wasn't too great.
      • By TekindusT
        If you keep an eye on the commercial aviation world, probably you've heard about Air Berlin bankruptcy. If you're not familiar with that, in the spoiler there's a quick recap:

(EDIT: Note the livery displaying with advertisement of BER Berlin-Brandenburg Airport. People are still laughing about that.)
        Myself living in Berlin, the demise of this company meant more than one more airline going bust. It is one more hit to a city that can't really get it straight with its transport infrastructures. Air Berlin put Tegel airport in the map and was the only airline that used it as a hub (with reduced operativity as TXL isn't ready to function as a real hub). It carried the name of the city around and, so far what I have read, many saw it as a flag carrier for the city, in "substitution" of a Lufthansa uninterested in Tegel. 
        Not everything was romantic though. In my very own opinion, Air Berlin earned its demise. I've flown with them a couple of times and basically they offered the same as low-cost airlines for a more expensive price in their European destinations (although the crew gave every passenger a chocolate in the shape of a heart after landing). Not a good way of operating these days in Europe. The airline expanded too far, too quickly, opening far-flung, short-lived routes to Las Vegas and Dallas/Fort Worth from their Düsseldorf hub (its long distance hub, a real one) in direct competition with flag carriers first and with long range LCCs later. They especially targeted many North American destinations that simply offered not enough demand. Probably this is not the only cause of their losses, but poor planning is.
        All in all, the demise of Air Berlin means a huge shake for air travel in Berlin and all around Germany and, truth be said, a shakedown on Berlin travelers. EasyJet and Lufthansa are tearing down the airline as we speak, and beneffiting of the left out aircraft and valuable landing slots at Tegel. These are especially coveted, as TXL is quite a congested airport.
        Lufthansa needed to act fast to fill in the gaps Air Berlin left all over Germany, but sure they are wildly profiting from that. In a desperate measure, Lufthansa is deploying a B747-400 on the Frankfurt-Berlin route to cope with the increased demand, which will bring TXL to a strain, as this Cold War relic airport is clearly unprepared to host large jumbos and to make them turnaround in only 50 minutes. Passengers will need to board by walk on an apron area. Residents around Tegel runways ain't too happy about that.

And all around Germany, Lufthansa and its subsidiaries have become a monopoly controlling all inner German air traffic, and fares are already skyrocketing due to the increased demand and the aim of earning easy money. Germany is a country where right now; coach, rail and air travel belong to only three monopolies: Flixbus, Deutsche Bahn and Lufthansa Group. It feels like if you're in a budget, you're forced to go by bus. A slow, dirty, crowded and with malfunctioning Wi-Fi bus. If you're middle class, you go by train. And if you're a business traveler, you go by plane. Citizens of first, second and third division in today's egalitarian Germany. And there's nothing you can do about that besides BlaBlaCar.

EasyJet has struck the Deal of the Century with Air Berlin's empty landing slots and aircraft. Lufthansa wasn't really interested in them and EasyJet was seeing how Ryanair has consistently grown larger and larger at Schönefeld airport, flying an impressive 42 destinations from there. This could be easily felt at some point in mid-2016, I simply stopped flying EasyJet as fares were consistently more expensive than those from Ryanair. EasyJet is stationing in the next months a bunch of ex-Air Berlin A320 family aircraft, which are already compatible with the all A320 family EasyJet fleet, and opening a second operating base in Tegel. EasyJet will become in the next months the leading airline in Berlin, present at both airports and challenging the monolithic Ryanair position at SXF.
        For travelers, soon we will start hearing stories about "I booked a flight with EasyJet and I missed it because I automatically headed without my morning coffee to Schönefeld airport (as it's been done for years) and this specific one was departing from Tegel". I hope you never hear it from me, though.
        What are your thoughts on all this situation, and especially, on the new monopoly rising in Germany? What could have Air Berlin done better?
      • By michiyl
        michiyls Bus Color Pack
        (yeah, I recently got fed up with the standard blue design of the busses, too!)
        30 files make up this incredible colorful pack for your default Maxis Bus model - each color is visually 100% compatible with the corresponding color in my Monorail Color Packs (#1 and #2a)!
        Variations:
        - single color
        - white roof
        The colors are (not following any official naming convention here):
           - Banana Day
           - Blue Ocean
           - Flashy Green
           - Fresh Green
           - Grass Green
           - Hot Pink
           - Intense Orange
           - Lazy Orange
           - Monorail Red (the default red of the default Maxis monorail)
           - Spring Green
           - Turquoise (tortoise is the animal, this is the color mix of green and blue)
           - Tropic Blue
           - Violet Blue
           - Warm Yellow
           - White Grey
        What's in the box?
        Aside from the 30 DAT files there is 1 preview pic to help you choose the right color, and the readme. I hope to encourage others to include similar information in their projects to give the user the chance to remember what the file includes even when you open it after several months or so.
        Any dependencies?
        Nope, this is just a texture replacement for the default Maxis bus/coach model texture. The DAT files only includes the single FSH file.
        You should know what that means - if you don't see the color, check that you have installed it in one of the Plugins folders (choose one!) and you are starting with the default Maxis bus model.
      • By michiyl
        After some 12-13 years of research, SimScientists unveiled their newest technological breakthrough - different colors for the default Maxis monorail - which they called:

(for some reason)
        In all seriousness, I couldn't find a mod or file that just changes the color of the white-striped red monorail. So here are the files I created for my own use to share them with you!
        (Update: the additional MonoRail Color Pack 2A is available!)
        What's in the box?
        The total amount of DAT files is 59 here which split into 2x2xN color choices of some prominent colors (yeah, I'm going to use that word A LOT now).
        Why 2x2?
        It occured to me that the original white stripe on the default monorail texture is still quite nice but not necessarily necessary (ha!). So, that's your first choice: Do you want your monorail trains with that stripe or not?
        The second choice is: default windows or NewWindows. There are actually two kinds of windows on the monorail if you look closely enough - one set for the passengers and a different one for the train driver/front section ... Yeah, I did have a bit too much time at hand, so you have the choice of unified windows, too!
        In short:
           - 13 colors with Original White Stripe (OWS), default windows
           - 15 colors without OWS (= a single color), default windows
           - 15 colors with OWS and NewWindows (+1 experimental)
           - 15 colors without OWS and with NewWindows

The colors are (not following any official naming convention here):
           - Banana Day
           - Blue Ocean
           - Complete Red (the default red but without OWS)
           - Flashy Green
           - Fresh Green
           - Grass Green
           - Hot Pink
           - Intense Orange
           - Lazy Orange
           - Original Red (the default red again)
           - Spring Green (yeah, another one!)
           - Turquoise (turtle is the animal, this is the color mix of green and blue)
           - Tropic Blue
           - Violet Blue
           - Warm Yellow
           - White Grey (which doesn't have an OWS DAT - duh!)
        Also included is a fancy readme and an overview image (1920x1920 px) of the whole package in pure JPG glory ... sort of. Well, you know, JPG is not that nice to the colors but it keeps the filesize down.
        Any dependencies?
        Nope. You only need the default Maxis monorail. Maybe make sure that you don't have another DAT changing the color of the monorail part or a model that replaces it. But you should know better - it's your Plugins folder, you know!
        Anything else I need to know about this pack?
        Well, don't feed it after midnight, I guess. It's a color/texture replacement for the default Maxis monorail, so what more is there to know? Oh, the filesize is almost 2 MB for the ZIP file, the single DATs are some 11-20kb.
        I hope you enjoy some variations of the monorail colors - if there's enough interest or if I have energy for other color schemes I might add them in another pack. 59 DATs are quite a lot for the first release, I think, even if you only end up using one of them!

Hint:
        Use the UV map fix for the default Maxis monorail models as well to get rid of the annoying texture positioning bugs!
      • By michiyl
        Short version: Yep, did it again.
        This time you can choose between 71 DATs which are different monorail train styles for the same 15 colors as in the Color Pack #1.
        However, the "A" in "Pack 2A" stands for the fact that it has only (!) my NewWindows version which I find visually more pleasing than the different window concepts of the default monotrain.
        Hint:
        For full enjoyment, I recommend the UV map fix for the default monorail. It fixes some graphical issues you might notice when zooming in closer on the monorail trains.

Long version: In case you want more information.
        SimScientists still haven't exhausted all possible options in this new academic field - color packs - so the monorails they love to ride so much are getting another choice of colored liveries!
        The main surprise of the public were two things:
        - the exclusion of the old blue-ish roofs/tops of the monorails which are now either colored or in a nice clean white
        - the exclusion of the default small passenger windows in favor of the new bigger windows ... Sims like the view!
        71 possible choices for the default Maxis monorail train model:
           - 14 colors with CS (Colored Stripe), WB (White Bottom) and CT (Colored Top)
           - 14 colors with InvertedOWS (OWS = Original White Stripe) ... it's not inverted like color inverted, it's inverted in that the stripe is now colored and the rest is white-ish
           - 14 colors with OWS and CT
           - 14 colors with OWS and WT (White Top)
           - 15 colors with a single color (= single) and CT ... yeah, this naming here is really messy.
        The 15 colors are (not following any official naming convention here):
           - Banana Day
           - Blue Ocean
           - Flashy Green
           - Fresh Green
           - Grass Green
           - Hot Pink
           - Intense Orange
           - Lazy Orange
           - Original Red (the default red)
           - Spring Green (yeah, another one!)
           - Turquoise (tortoise is the animal, this is the tricky color mix of green and blue)
           - Tropic Blue
           - Violet Blue
           - Warm Yellow (it's more like standard yellow in comparison to Banana Day)
           - White Grey (which only occurs in single color variations)
        What's in the box?
        Aside from the 71 DAT files there are 3 preview pics to help you choose the right livery and the readme. I hope to encourage others to include similar information in their projects to give the user the chance to remember what the file includes even when you open it after several months or so.
        Any dependencies?
        Nope, this is still a texture replacement for the default Maxis monorail train model. The DAT files only include the two FSH items for the engine and passenger part.
        You should know what that means - if you don't see the color, check that you have installed it in one of the Plugins folders (choose one!) and you are starting with the default Maxis monorail (or only slight modifications of it).