andisart

SimCity 3000 Birthday BAT project

121 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

• Original Poster
  • @Scarton thanks :) it's not too late! It's open until Sunday and I will make another news item to vote on the weekend

• Original Poster
  • There are more references that I extracted from the game now, if you want to nominate one of them. 

They can be found here:

@T Wrecks There is also the Bradbury Building, if you would like to nominate it here post the image

Also to the BATers in the team: you can also nominate three buildings if you like!

8 hours ago, Scarton said:

@andisart & @T Wrecks: The Bradbury Building was already nominated. Here is the initial post it was nominated in. The picture is small, however. Perhaps a larger picture could be uploaded, and/or a Moderator could replace the small image with a larger image?

Whoops, you are right! Thank you for making me aware of that; somehow I totally missed several posts on the first page, including @Krasner's one about those low-wealth residentials, which I also like a lot. Maybe it was because of thoser server hiccups that the pictures didn' t show up? Or maybe I'm just blind.

In any case, I have upvoted the Bradbury Building post. I have looked around a bit myself, but haven't manage to find a better image yet.

• Original Poster
  • @T Wrecks I uploaded a better image in the SC3K reference thread, see two posts above. Are you a moderator and can you update the nomination? 

30 minutes ago, andisart said:

@T Wrecks I uploaded a better image in the SC3K reference thread, see two posts above. Are you a moderator and can you update the nomination? 

I am, and I've just done that. Thanks a bunch! Once I'm posting anyway, thank you for this awesome idea, too! I love it. No matter which building makes it, the idea is just great. *:)

• Original Poster
  • 28 minutes ago, T Wrecks said:

I am, and I've just done that. Thanks a bunch! Once I'm posting anyway, thank you for this awesome idea, too! I love it. No matter which building makes it, the idea is just great. *:)

Hehe cool to see you excited too :D and I agree, no matter which buildings end up being made it will be a delight. The combination of good design and nostalgia makes the SC3K buildings sweet

I'm only seeing this post now !! Since I am a complete SimCity 3000 nerd, I have some proposals. But I do not have acces to my computer with SimCity 3000 right now, so I cannot post any pictures :-(

But the proposals so far looks great. The Wilkinson tower is great as a medium/low wealth commercial building.

Other than that, I have some weird love-feelings for the high land value residential buildings with low density in SC3000. It's like the lawns are greener wit these :-)

I will post pictures of these as soon as possible.

On 2/9/2018 at 7:59 PM, catty-cb said:
    On 2/9/2018 at 6:07 AM, coolsim1 said:

Madrid-Feb. 2, 2092-12306.jpg

If I hadn't already done my three suggestions I would have included the domed building (bottom right-hand side) :yes:

That's the museum.

The prominent skyscraper to the left of Jadyn's Tower in the picture is also a favorite of mine. It's simply called Huge Enterprise.

Jadyn's Tower was heavily inspired by the Maybank Tower in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

768px-Maybank_Tower_Kuala_Lumpur.jpg

Huge Enterprise was heavily based on a real building as well: the Umeda Sky Building in Osaka, Japan. (@coolsim1 helped me remember in the second post below this one.)

JAP_Osaka_Sky_Building.jpg

2 hours ago, Scarton said:

That's the museum.

The prominent skyscraper to the left of Jadyn's Tower in the picture is also a favorite of mine. It's simply called Huge Enterprise.

Jadyn's Tower was heavily inspired by the Maybank Tower in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

768px-Maybank_Tower_Kuala_Lumpur.jpg

Huge Enterprise was heavily based on a real building as well, but I forget at the moment. I'll edit this post once I find out.

Umeda Sky Tower in Osaka but overscaled in this game :)

• Original Poster
  • @SimCityHawk Did you check the reference thread link in the first post? There is at least one of those low dense high residential buildings. I will add more later too. 

On 2018/2/2 at 9:55 AM, catty-cb said:

Can I make suggestion three something that I would really have loved to have seen in SC3000 as it was in SC2000 but for some reason was never added and that's the Arcologies which were futuristic self-contained cities where a huge population is all contained in one building ... obviously you couldn't have that many people in a single building as it would really cause issues in SC4 but it would still be nice to have them back

arcology.jpg

Launch_Arcology.gif

long time ago , japanese created arco mod for simcity4 (just LandMark without function)

website dead...but i still keep arco mod in my pc.

ARCO.jpg

Prepo made the Plymouth Arcology as well ( the boxy/pyramid slanted one) you can find it in the sim mars download. 

• Original Poster
  • Voting has now ended and results will be updated in this post shortly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:  The Results

TOP 10:

1. SimMars Research and Testing Facility    19  points

urghh.PNG

2. Gold Tower    17 points

N5W6ewH.jpg

3. Quigley Insurance    17 points

cqFeMtt.jpg

4. Kong Tower    16 points

PTg2umI.jpg

5. SimCity 3000 Science Center    15 points

Simcity_3000_Science_Center.png.bd402e69

6. Triangle Terrace    14 points

ulyQzEH.png

7. Bluerise Plaza    13 points

42Zhuj.jpg

8. Bradbury Building    12 points

bradbury_bdg.jpg

9. Corporate Ground Zero Plaza    12 points

HHOjglx.png

10. Tameki Tower    12 points

7dgqnfyn.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remaining results:

University Campus    11

Silver Tower    10

Furnaces (I-d)    10

Fusion Power Plant    10

Sketchy Towers    10

Federal Building    10

Jadyn's Tower    10

Super Spur    9

Software Studio    7

Svelte Towers    7

Buff's Athletic Club    7

Double Stogie Enterprise    7

Mullet Hi-Rise    7

The Haunted House    5

Gray Matter Place    5

Bueller's Haus    5

Wilconsin Tower    4

KSIM Headquarters    4

Community Garden    3

Fountain    2

Kochavatr Foundation    2

So, like SC2K and SC4, the buildings in SC3K are based on buildings from real life.

What we are recreating are the SC3K buildings, and not the real life buildings they were based on. But seeing the original buildings should be helpful for interpreting the low resolution SC3K buildings.

I don't know, but it's likely in either San Fransisco or Seattle, because this type of building is not likely going to be found in architecture coffee table books, so they would have had to find other reference resources, and it'd be easiest to look in places they were near.

urghh.PNG

2. Gold Tower    17 points

This is either a building that I've seen that I can't quite put my finger on, or they did a good job of making a fictional skyscraper.

N5W6ewH.jpg

3. Quigley Insurance    17 points

Unbuilt Chicago Tribune competition entry by Eliel Saarinen. Because it was not built, the specific details of this building are vague even in the original. https://cdnassets.hw.net/dims4/GG/0952fec/2147483647/resize/876x>/quality/90/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdnassets.hw.net%2F4a%2F44%2Fe9a3248c454aa7fa9bae32b15544%2Fchicagotribune-saarinen-rendering.jpg

cqFeMtt.jpg

4. Kong Tower    16 points

A mix of different NYC skyscrapers. The red part of the entrance might be based on https://www.emporis.com/buildings/115266/fashion-tower-north-tower-new-york-city-ny-usa

PTg2umI.jpg

5. SimCity 3000 Science Center    15 points

I think this one might be fictional... *:P

Simcity_3000_Science_Center.png.bd402e69

6. Triangle Terrace    14 points

Northwest Tower/Coyote Building in Chicago. Google maps: https://goo.gl/maps/F7xw1ZtUAXv

ulyQzEH.png

If anybody recognized this, please post!! I looked around asia today and couldn't find it!

42Zhuj.jpg

8. Bradbury Building    12 points

The Bradbury Building is literally the Bradbury Building in LA. It's most famously known as the building in Bladerunner, and dozens of other movies. https://goo.gl/maps/1WNPMFnm2Hx

bradbury_bdg.jpg

9. Corporate Ground Zero Plaza    12 points

500 5th Avenue in NYC https://goo.gl/maps/DK2LfJUmbAx

HHOjglx.png

10. Tameki Tower    12 points

This has elements of Central Plaza in Hong Kong. But it's also quite different and the elements that are shared are shared with other buildings as well, so idk.

7dgqnfyn.jpg

30 minutes ago, Jasoncw said:

If anybody recognized this, please post!! I looked around asia today and couldn't find it!

42Zhuj.jpg

I'm pretty sure Bluerise Plaza is based on the Crystal Tower (クリスタルタワー) in Osaka, Japan.  It is one of the landmarks of Osaka Business Park (the OBP), a tight cluster of skyscrapers near Osaka Castle that dramatically rose up in the late 1980s and early 1990s--just in time to inspire Maxis.

512494.jpg

obp-ct-b11.JPG

SimCity 3000 obviously tweaked and exaggerated many of the buildings used as inspiration, with the Crystal Tower here getting taller, narrower, and even intersecting itself.  Still, the angled folds at the top and the thin columns at the base are a match.  Actually, even the entrance is close to correct.

I just logged in to post a picture of Osaka's Crystal Tower and I see @Odainsaker beat me to it. The post is more informative than mine would have been anyway. Good job Odainsaker! *:thumb:

EDIT with UPDATES:

@coolsim1 is correct that the Umeda Sky Tower appears to be the main inspiration for Huge Enterprise. Thank you for the assist! I will update my earlier post with a picture.

@Glenni: You are correct that the Yokohama Landmark Tower is the inspiration for the skyscraper to the right of Jadyn's Tower in the picture. However, I was referring to the skyscraper to the left of Jadyn's Tower in the picture. It's a silly little directional confusion that I've had before also. *:P  The tower you indicated is called Pan Pacific Insurance in the game.

Edited by Scarton  

@OdainsakerI almost tagged you, thinking you might know. And you're right it looks like they literally copy and pasted the building on top of itself, lol. You should duplicate your post in the Maxis Reference thread too. And thank you @Scarton as well.

For this type of building it really is informative to see what Maxis was looking at, because the glass in their building could be interpreted as a lot of different types of glass, and it's good to see that it is blue tinted mirror glass, and not clear glass, or blue tinted clear glass, or neutral colored mirror glass.

Here's a dump of other references:

Spoiler

^This one is really interesting because it has the actual SC3K models rendered. This is a previsualization video, so this is being rendered in a 3d program and no in SC4, but at first glance it uses the same angles and everything as SC4, so it should be possible to paste a screenshot into photoshop to compare your own BATs against.

For the images below, right click and copy the links to the images and paste them in new pages to get the full sized images.

SimCity3000.jpg

SimCity-3000-Free-Download-14.jpg

18951-simcity-3000-windows-front-cover.j

sc3k_bat_patch.jpg

sc3ku_french_patch.jpg

And some posters for which the urls aren't allowing me to insert as images here (click on the links):

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kwzYBTXYR4Q/Sd7xdTQ_NgI/AAAAAAAAAKY/wS6fIP34aI4/s1600-h/simcity3k.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kwzYBTXYR4Q/Sd7xOlpLBpI/AAAAAAAAAKQ/4oAlT-0ES-w/s1600-h/simcity3k+ufo.jpg

The two posters and the previsualization video are from Ocean Quigley's blog. There's tons of other great SimCity stuff there too so check it out if you've never seen it before. http://oceanquigley.blogspot.com/search?q=simcity&view=classic

On 2/11/2018 at 9:35 PM, Jasoncw said:

@OdainsakerI almost tagged you, thinking you might know. And you're right it looks like they literally copy and pasted the building on top of itself, lol. You should duplicate your post in the Maxis Reference thread too. And thank you @Scarton as well.

For this type of building it really is informative to see what Maxis was looking at, because the glass in their building could be interpreted as a lot of different types of glass, and it's good to see that it is blue tinted mirror glass, and not clear glass, or blue tinted clear glass, or neutral colored mirror glass.

Here's a dump of other references:

SC3K References (Hide contents)

^This one is really interesting because it has the actual SC3K models rendered. This is a previsualization video, so this is being rendered in a 3d program and no in SC4, but at first glance it uses the same angles and everything as SC4, so it should be possible to paste a screenshot into photoshop to compare your own BATs against.

For the images below, right click and copy the links to the images and paste them in new pages to get the full sized images.

SimCity3000.jpg

SimCity-3000-Free-Download-14.jpg

18951-simcity-3000-windows-front-cover.j

sc3k_bat_patch.jpg

sc3ku_french_patch.jpg

And some posters for which the urls aren't allowing me to insert as images here (click on the links):

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kwzYBTXYR4Q/Sd7xdTQ_NgI/AAAAAAAAAKY/wS6fIP34aI4/s1600-h/simcity3k.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kwzYBTXYR4Q/Sd7xOlpLBpI/AAAAAAAAAKQ/4oAlT-0ES-w/s1600-h/simcity3k+ufo.jpg

The two posters and the previsualization video are from Ocean Quigley's blog. There's tons of other great SimCity stuff there too so check it out if you've never seen it before. http://oceanquigley.blogspot.com/search?q=SimCity&view=classic

Wow that one video makes me want to see so many other buildings built for SimCity 4 or even skylines!

1 minute ago, coolsim1 said:

Wow that one video makes me want to see so many other buildings built for SimCity 4 or even skylines!

maybe need admin open new thread : what kind of buildings do you want

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:00 AM, andisart said:

Voting has now ended and results will be updated in this post shortly

UPDATE:  The Results

TOP 10:

urghh.PNG

My guess is that this building is based off of Boeing's first manufacturing plant, also known as the Big Red Barn.  But that's just my guess.

That would make sense as a target, because it's more of a landmark than some other random industrial building, but they don't really look alike except for being red.