Tarkus

Apple Phasing Out Support for 32-bit Applications in 2018; SC4, SC2013 Likely Affected

40 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

• Original Poster
  • 2 hours ago, skyjuice said:

Hmm i bought SC 4 deluxe at steam today. Have a macbook pro from 2011. No problem yet. Should it be?

Havent played Sc4 since 2009 or so.

First off, welcome back!  In any case, it shouldn't be a problem just yet.  High Sierra remains the latest macOS, which still has the 32-bit support in place.  It's with the next macOS (10.14 or whatever they end up calling it) that it becomes an issue.

-Tarkus

9 hours ago, Tarkus said:

First off, welcome back!  In any case, it shouldn't be a problem just yet.  High Sierra remains the latest macOS, which still has the 32-bit support in place.  It's with the next macOS (10.14 or whatever they end up calling it) that it becomes an issue.

-Tarkus

Thanks. Anyone knows why Apple do this? I understand 32bit is old but some applications are old such as SimCity for example. 

Im on high sierra. Sour apples... as most often dis days. Thanks for the heads up. 

Edited by skyjuice  

On 10/02/2018 at 6:59 AM, skyjuice said:

Thanks. Anyone knows why Apple do this?

There could be many reasons, the obvious one is simply so they don't have to support (in terms of code in the O/S) both 32 and 64 bit. This will make the O/S lighter, faster and potentially more secure too. The timing is not terrible, 64-bit processors have existed since the Pentium D's first got introduced in the consumer segment. Support only ever lasts for so long and whilst there are some 32-bit apps that won't see a 64-bit update, I'm inclined to believe SC4 will be in this category, the impact for most users won't be a big deal.

On 10/02/2018 at 6:59 AM, skyjuice said:

I understand 32bit is old but some applications are old such as SimCity for example.

Based on that logic, your O/S would still support 8-bit and 16-bit apps too. This has never been a reality, but in all likelihood an emulator of some kind will probably allow you to run 32-bit apps. Well, assuming Apple allow it in the app store in the first place. 

In fact, using WINE and the Windows version of SC4 should work just fine, even if it's a pain to setup. Since the application being ran is 64-bit and emulates Windows, I can't foresee a problem here.

On 2018-02-12 at 9:06 PM, rsc204 said:

There could be many reasons, the obvious one is simply so they don't have to support (in terms of code in the O/S) both 32 and 64 bit. This will make the O/S lighter, faster and potentially more secure too. The timing is not terrible, 64-bit processors have existed since the Pentium D's first got introduced in the consumer segment. Support only ever lasts for so long and whilst there are some 32-bit apps that won't see a 64-bit update, I'm inclined to believe SC4 will be in this category, the impact for most users won't be a big deal.

Based on that logic, your O/S would still support 8-bit and 16-bit apps too. This has never been a reality, but in all likelihood an emulator of some kind will probably allow you to run 32-bit apps. Well, assuming Apple allow it in the app store in the first place. 

In fact, using WINE and the Windows version of SC4 should work just fine, even if it's a pain to setup. Since the application being ran is 64-bit and emulates Windows, I can't foresee a problem here.

Wine on Mac OS, yeah forgot bout that, thanks.

• Original Poster
  • Aspyr has now commented on the situation, as Apple has now added "warnings" whenever one opens up a 32-bit app.  Apparently, Aspyr is looking at bringing at least some of their 32-bit games over to 64-bit, but they also caution that they don't know yet just what those will be, or when that will happen.

-Tarkus

On 12/18/2017 at 8:14 PM, rsc204 said:

Let's face it, if you can afford a Mac, you probably don't qualify for food stamps.

Just wanting to set the record straight: I have a Mac & I am, indeed, on food stamps. (I have been given hand-me-down Macs from friends in the past, and my current one, I bought the most current tech I could with my backpayments when I got on Disability, because I knew that this computer would have to last me as long as possible.)

Stick to talking tech, folks, and stop with the stereotypes. It's rude & doesn't build a culture of friendliness & welcome in the community.

(This also goes for those who think that Macs are for stupid people. One of the most high-end techies I know (guy does TLD work, works with ARIN, etc.) runs a Mac. If you want to not have to fiddle with stuff, it works. If you want to fiddle with stuff, congrats, you've got Unix in the background and you can fiddle 'till your heart's content. And even pre-OSX, I know people who have been Mac users from the original Macintosh and knew every little bit of how the System OS worked.)

TL;DR? If you're going to be in the Mac forums, talking about Macs, don't insult the Mac users. Srlsy. This should go without saying.

Well it seems I've struck a nerve there, which was never the intent behind my innocuous comment. It was an attempt a jokingly stating that Macs were an expensive or premium product, there was no deeper meaning intended. Nevertheless, I offer an unreserved apology if you took it to mean something more.

On 3/27/2018 at 9:09 AM, c4bl3fl4m3 said:

Just wanting to set the record straight: I have a Mac & I am, indeed, on food stamps. (I have been given hand-me-down Macs from friends in the past, and my current one, I bought the most current tech I could with my backpayments when I got on Disability, because I knew that this computer would have to last me as long as possible.)

Stick to talking tech, folks, and stop with the stereotypes. It's rude & doesn't build a culture of friendliness & welcome in the community.

(This also goes for those who think that Macs are for stupid people. One of the most high-end techies I know (guy does TLD work, works with ARIN, etc.) runs a Mac. If you want to not have to fiddle with stuff, it works. If you want to fiddle with stuff, congrats, you've got Unix in the background and you can fiddle 'till your heart's content. And even pre-OSX, I know people who have been Mac users from the original Macintosh and knew every little bit of how the System OS worked.)

TL;DR? If you're going to be in the Mac forums, talking about Macs, don't insult the Mac users. Srlsy. This should go without saying.

100% agree.  I've never understood the condescending attitude towards Mac users, not only on this site (as I was a longtime SC4 Mac user myself) but plenty of others as well.  I eventually started running bootcamp with Windows since I started bumping up against the plugin limit on the Mac version.  But before that anytime I asked for help with my Mac version of SC4 it was basically met with "just buy a windows computer" or some other ridiculous variation of that statement.  While I certainly don't have the knowledge a lot of the other users of this site do, I have over 10 years of experience using various Mac versions of the game.  So if you have any issues or questions either about the game or running bootcamp or Wine, feel free to PM me, I'd be happy to try and help out.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/04/apple-is-exploring-macs-running-its-own-cpus-but-that-dream-is-a-long-way-off/

Not only is Apple going to drop support for Intel 32-bit programs, it looks like they're going to try to replace Intel chips outright with an in-house solution. If this ends up happening, it'll probably be an ARM-based chip like their A11 chip for iPhones, and if that's the case then those machines will have no support for even the rebuilt 64-bit applications that developers are putting out.

I don't see this working out for anything more powerful than their entry-level Macbook line. ARM chips have lower power consumption but are far slower, and trying to push this onto their pro models is completely unviable. I also wonder if this'll just fracture their Mac ecosystem.