Arnold J. Rimmer

Arnold J. Rimmer - asset creation (RELEASED: Brick wall 01, Concrete wall 02, Concrete barrier, Cone TRV-7)

57 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

Hey,

after week of learning again and again same simple things i am finally able to make own thing from zero to final stage,

so i decided create own topic to gather all created stuff..

I am big newbie, so i appreciate every help!

• Original Poster
  • Here is my first serious thing. I called it Angel Quay

(assymetrical quay)

20171207072707_1.jpg

What do you think?

P.S. Have problem change position of one one stair (texture) in Y axe. In 3DS max i see it changes, but in game it is still same.. Now it looks so bad when both stairs have identically positioned texture..

Texture size: 1024x1024 (I think i should use 512x512 because its smaller than for example buildings..but dont know)

• Original Poster
  • 1 minute ago, Avanya said:

Try mirroring the UVs of one of the steps. If moving them on the UV map doesn't work, mirroring might. Also great start! It looks really nice :D

Thanks much!

Actually I tried both. Move UV to different position and mirror them.. I can mirror only in x axe..(In 3DS i can mirror both - x and y axe of texture, but in game i am able to see only x axe change)... Sooooo weird, maybe it isnt working for networks? Or maybe seamless edges? Thats thing i absolutely dont handle..:X

But if its true, its real shame :(

I haven't really played around much with networks, but I think they do behave a little different than normal models when it comes to textures. Ofc another option could be to make the texture more uniform so you don't have those lighter areas that show clearly it's being repeated. :)

For networks, textures tile automatically in the Y direction, you can only control the UV mapping in the X direction.
    You can disable this by vertex painting 255,0,255 which will disable automatic tiling and allow you to fully control UV mapping in the Y direction, which means the texture will stretch together with the segment.

There's a texture scale parameter which would allow us to control the Y tiling amount precisely how we want, but it doesn't save.
    I asked on the modding forums, but that will probably be ignored as usual.

I might make a mod that saves it, if there's enough demand for it, because it's pretty easy to do.
    Currently we either have to make sacrifices in quality by stretching the texture or using weird resolutions and uv mapping, or sacrifice in terms of optimization by using a higher resolution texture...

• Original Poster
  • 16 hours ago, Ronyx69 said:

For networks, textures tile automatically in the Y direction, you can only control the UV mapping in the X direction.
    You can disable this by vertex painting 255,0,255 which will disable automatic tiling and allow you to fully control UV mapping in the Y direction, which means the texture will stretch together with the segment.

There's a texture scale parameter which would allow us to control the Y tiling amount precisely how we want, but it doesn't save.

I might make a mod that saves it, if there's enough demand for it, because it's pretty easy to do.
    Currently we either have to make sacrifices in quality by stretching the texture or using weird resolutions and uv mapping, or sacrifice in terms of optimization by using a higher resolution texture...

Thanks much for this answer, now i understand it! Anyway it seems a bit more complicated.. Sometimes i am watching your streams, but i think u didnt do this in stream, right? 

And I hope there gonna be demand for that mod, because it give a bit more interesting visuals..

On 12/8/2017 at 7:03 AM, Ronyx69 said:

I saw you posted in the general modding forum -  maybe you'd have more luck sending a direct message to them. they might not reply but they often don't reply to my questions but they get acted on... they might also find it hard to reply to someone who continues to act weird about "probably being ignored as usual"... it's not like they can answer every single one of the 1465 threads in that forum... yours probably just get lost amongst the rest... and tbh if I want help from someone i usually don't endlessly call them low quality, whine about them ignoring me and then still demand their attention.. But hey that's coming from a fanboy of common sense (and the devs too they're pretty good!) #meme #fanboy #lovesthedevs #exasperatedpeanut

• Original Poster
  • 5425572F08EC5A3E30F2E480F7215070EAD41543

C0D9652C48F12FF6A20418E4636DB933075CF24A

Really good work, love the spawning bins. can I ask a question? Did you amend the script (values) for the rotor shader? Whenever I try to use it the ground shows through the glass but not the props? Just asking

• Original Poster
  • 21 hours ago, mntoes said:

Really good work, love the spawning bins. can I ask a question? Did you amend the script (values) for the rotor shader? Whenever I try to use it the ground shows through the glass but not the props? Just asking

Thanks much!

Well I really dont understand what rotor shader is and never needed to use (only for paris asset). I used prop variation as color variation (4 colored diffuse textures and 4 models) and color variation as shade variation (used white/black color only) - because i didnt want every green color to be exactly same color, etc... . Maybe its i a bit consfusing :X 

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I should explain myself better. When I re-read my question was not very clear (sorry). I'm interested in how you did the glass on Le Mur pour la paix  it looks so good.

• Original Poster
  • 2 hours ago, mntoes said:

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I should explain myself better. When I re-read my question was not very clear (sorry). I'm interested in how you did the glass on Le Mur pour la paix  it looks so good.

Oh...If i remember correctly, those glass parts were part of sub-building. Glass had diffuse and alpha map, then i used this script by Ronyx69

I dont remember reason why i used building instead of prop for the glass part, but i did

//building rotors (cube)
    var shader = Shader.Find("Custom/Vehicles/Vehicle/Rotors");
    var asset = ToolsModifierControl.toolController.m_editPrefabInfo as BuildingInfo;
    if(asset.m_material != null) asset.m_material.shader = shader;
    if(asset.m_lodMaterial != null) asset.m_lodMaterial.shader = shader;
    var w = new Color(255f / 255, 255f / 255, 255f / 255, 1f);
    asset.m_material.SetColor("_ColorV0", w);
    asset.m_material.SetColor("_ColorV1", w);
    asset.m_material.SetColor("_ColorV2", w);
    asset.m_material.SetColor("_ColorV3", w);

then I added as sub-building and saved (glass dont need to be uploaded on workshop).

Hope it helped.

48 minutes ago, Arnold J. Rimmer said:

I dont remember reason why i used building instead of prop for the glass part, but i did

There are 2 reasons to use a sub building instead of a prop:

1. Don't need to publish it before adding.
    2. Type-in precision positioning in asset editor

2 hours ago, mntoes said:

I'm interested in how you did the glass

This video explains everything you need to know about the rotors shader: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELoMC1rWOSc

And you can also download example asset source files of my Apple Store, Bauhaus, and Pools (all using rotors shader for something) on my help thread: https://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/73460--/