13 posts in this topic Last Reply

there are several blocks in my city that I want to be row houses/apartments. but the buildings growing as of now look too repetitive. 

of course I can just plop the Maxis houses over the existing lots, but they would have no jobs, or worse, become abandoned. instead of doing that, what can I do?

You have some options:

-use the bulldozer tool and patience (only works up to a point)

-download more plugins

-zone away from that area, let the buildings you don't want grow on some other tracts, then return to the area in question and zone again. often the simulator wants to build some particular buildings i.e. for stage balancing so you have to let the game put them somewhere before it will give you different buildings

• Original Poster
  • 5a0a6cfe38c13_repetitivebuildings.jpg.4e6ce88684cc3cec3ab188d3471c8cb7.jpg

this is the part of my city that I find too repetitive (grey blocky buildings). i want these to be different modern-styled row houses/apartments, but they look too repetitive.

are there also any great modern style apartments or row houses that I can find in the LEX or STEX?

That particular lot has the issue of being too much competitive for that growth stage, wealth level and density. What you could do is to edit the lot on the Reader and to reduce a bit the number of sims that can live in it, or to directly re-lot it on the PIM-X (it's very easy because is a W2W building)

Ah, that building; apart from the competitiveness problem that matias93 noted, it seems to suffer from a really annoying bug: When you have a lot modded to grow in a corner, the game will sometimes grow it in all other adjacent zones at once.

Personally, I got tired of it's weediness and just deleted the R$$$ version. That would be one solution, but a more general advice would be to develop your city blocks by parts, first the corners and then the inner parts or viceversa, this is especially useful if you are developing wall to wall blocks.

• Original Poster
  • 14 hours ago, Edvarz said:

Ah, that building; apart from the competitiveness problem that matias93 noted, it seems to suffer from a really annoying bug: When you have a lot modded to grow in a corner, the game will sometimes grow it in all other adjacent zones at once.

Personally, I got tired of it's weediness and just deleted the R$$$ version. That would be one solution, but a more general advice would be to develop your city blocks by parts, first the corners and then the inner parts or viceversa, this is especially useful if you are developing wall to wall blocks.

oh shoot...I have several of those buildings in my city right now. If I delete the R$$$ version from my plugins folder and open the city, will it cause issues in my game? 

1 hour ago, olegario39 said:

oh shoot...I have several of those buildings in my city right now. If I delete the R$$$ version from my plugins folder and open the city, will it cause issues in my game? 

It causes file corruption and you don't want that (I've lost nice cities to it), first bulldoze the lots, then delete the file. If you find them after having deleted the lot, don't save that city tile, load the lot again on your

• Original Poster
  • 2 minutes ago, matias93 said:

It causes file corruption and you don't want that (I've lost nice cities to it), first bulldoze the lots, then delete the file. If you find them after having deleted the lot, don't save that city tile, load the lot again on your

load the lot again on my what? 

6 hours ago, matias93 said:

load the lot again on your

Yeah, you ate the rest of the phrase? Then:

"first bulldoze the lots," I get that.
    "then delete the file." Hnh? I don't get that.
    "If you find them after having deleted the lot," lot? You said "file".
    "don't save that city tile," OK, I get that too.
    "load the lot again on your ..." lot again?

I'm not harping or criticizing anybody, I'm just trying to understand this since I have the same problem.

6 hours ago, matias93 said:

It causes file corruption and you don't want that (I've lost nice cities to it), first bulldoze the lots, then delete the file. If you find them after having deleted the lot file, don't save that city tile, load the lot file again on your plugins folder, open the city tile to demolish the lots and then delete the file again.

Sorry, internet issues. There is.

Basically, you have to be sure to only demolish lots that are on your plugins folder at the moment.

One possibility to make sure you delete all the unwanted buildings from your cities before getting rid of it from your plugin folder is use the following steps:

1) Delete the model file of the undesirable building, but leave the lot file.

2) Open every city in your region.  If the undesirable building is in the city, you should see a brown box (because of the missing model).

3) Delete all the brown boxes from every city in the region.  Make sure you pause the city when you open it so that the undesirable building doesn't regrow and you possibly miss one.

4) Once that is complete, delete the rest of the files for the undesirable building from your plugin folder.

You should now be able to play your region safely without worry of corrupting any cities due to the deleted building.  If the building is bundled in a .dat file you will have to open the Reader and delete the model exampler from the .dat file to use this method.

As always, I would highly recommend making a backup of your plugin/region folder before attempting any change such as deleting buildings from your plugin file.