8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Even after playing this game for a few years, i still don't know many important tips or tricks to help make things easier or more enjoyable. I'd like to know if any of you have any useful and informative tips for someone like me, who still manages to muck things up. *:D

A Great One

Hate garbage ? So do I

STEP 1: Plop Waste To Energy (Utilities>Garbage)

STEP 2:Select that plant after clicking building query button (Question mark button on left-bottom)

STEP 3:Set funding to the ZERO

This will net you an garbage blackhole that wont need any cash and wont do pollution

"Cheating" feels intense ?

Select an small city tile and plop some WTE plants and make road connections needed in order to make "garbage" trade routes

Then dump all your garbage to that place by neighbor deals

Then try to get every single business deal

And place an fire station if you wish

Reason

Pollution doesn't travel through cities

So simply fill that place with coal power plants and make some power line trade routes

• Original Poster
  • Thanks man, they sound like pretty good tips that I'll have to use next time i get chance to play, I didn't actually know about the little WTE loophole, that one will come in handy. *:yes:

The best advice I can give can be stated in one word: Balance.

By this I mean as you are zoning and building and plopping, keep the number of Sims you have from fluctuating by vast numbers. This occurs when there is high demand for Residential and zones available for them, but once they move in they find there just isn't enough jobs for all of them. Some of my earliest cities had the population going up and down by like 10k Sims every 3 months.

If you are providing health and educational coverage this simply borks those numbers as they get partially reset each time a batch of Sims with zero health and 20 EQ move into town. So, you can zone Industrial and Commercial based on the demand. Zone your Residential slowly, let it grow, wait while the game runs for a few years, and then add more to see how those go. You don't actually want to satisfy all the Residential demand shown.

• Original Poster
  • 12 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

The best advice I can give can be stated in one word: Balance.

By this I mean as you are zoning and building and plopping, keep the number of Sims you have from fluctuating by vast numbers. This occurs when there is high demand for Residential and zones available for them, but once they move in they find there just isn't enough jobs for all of them. Some of my earliest cities had the population going up and down by like 10k Sims every 3 months.

If you are providing health and educational coverage this simply borks those numbers as they get partially reset each time a batch of Sims with zero health and 20 EQ move into town. So, you can zone Industrial and Commercial based on the demand. Zone your Residential slowly, let it grow, wait while the game runs for a few years, and then add more to see how those go. You don't actually want to satisfy all the Residential demand shown.

Thanks a lot, I never really thought of doing this either, this should help out quite a lot i imagine.

My latest (probably known to everyone else years ago): My schools and medicals seem to get their new attendance numbers on or near the 15th of each month. If growing a new city with tight funding, I check all my funding sliders on the 15th.

20 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

once they move in they find there just isn't enough jobs for all of them.

I've seen that even when I did have tons of jobs. What my advisors weren't telling me is that half of my R$ workers are without cars! They rely entirely on public transit, so every city needs at least buses (probably the cheapest mass transit short of some make-believe mod), and that system needs to have stops within walking distance of most residences and enough jobs (or neighbor connections to jobs) to employ at least half of your R$ workers (a quarter of your R$ population). Without that mass transit, only those with cars or within walking distance of R$ jobs will find work.

Note that I mentioned neighbor connections. You're not required to provide jobs in the same city where your sims live. However, be aware that residents who can't find jobs locally will (if they have transport) head to the nearest (in vanilla) or quickest (in NAM) exit. When they appear on the other side (when you run that city), they only remember the city they just came from. They'll again seek the nearest  / quickest job or exit. After a couple connections, they are liable to loop back to where they started (search on the dreaded "Eternal Commuter Problem"). Plan accordingly.

Also: A city needs to have at least some jobs before neighbors will commute into it. If you build an industrial city and a residence city with an empty city in between, the residents will not find the industry. They need at least a tease in the intervening city to get them to cross the border to where they might smell the jobs in the city beyond. Even so, they can't see how many there are, so they'll opt for near and quick. Let's face it, sims is stupid (uninformed actually). They need to be herded and/or penned like cattle.

• Original Poster
  • 26 minutes ago, jeffryfisher said:

My latest (probably known to everyone else years ago): My schools and medicals seem to get their new attendance numbers on or near the 15th of each month. If growing a new city with tight funding, I check all my funding sliders on the 15th.

I've seen that even when I did have tons of jobs. What my advisors weren't telling me is that half of my R$ workers are without cars! They rely entirely on public transit, so every city needs at least buses (probably the cheapest mass transit short of some make-believe mod), and that system needs to have stops within walking distance of most residences and enough jobs (or neighbor connections to jobs) to employ at least half of your R$ workers (a quarter of your R$ population). Without that mass transit, only those with cars or within walking distance of R$ jobs will find work.

Note that I mentioned neighbor connections. You're not required to provide jobs in the same city where your sims live. However, be aware that residents who can't find jobs locally will (if they have transport) head to the nearest (in vanilla) or quickest (in NAM) exit. When they appear on the other side (when you run that city), they only remember the city they just came from. They'll again seek the nearest  / quickest job or exit. After a couple connections, they are liable to loop back to where they started (search on the dreaded "Eternal Commuter Problem"). Plan accordingly.

Also: A city needs to have at least some jobs before neighbors will commute into it. If you build an industrial city and a residence city with an empty city in between, the residents will not find the industry. They need at least a tease in the intervening city to get them to cross the border to where they might smell the jobs in the city beyond. Even so, they can't see how many there are, so they'll opt for near and quick. Let's face it, sims is stupid (uninformed actually). They need to be herded and/or penned like cattle.

Thanks for this, I think that personally I've always been confused with how commuting and cross-city travel for jobs worked, this makes things clearer. Unfortunately this'll probably mean redesigning parts of my own cities haha.

NO POLLUTION travels acroos cities

Also, Dont underestimate power of the subways ("cheap" and a good way to connect two cities RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER)

Plop 3 Bus stations for every 2 subway stations you build

And build an parking lot next to them

Use normal railroad ONLY for freight trips

It will look nice if you do this (You will need hole digger lots that comes with NAM (I Strongly suggest you to patch the game to the latest version and fully install NAM36))

g.png

jj.png