5 posts in this topic Last Reply

I've started trying out using some different canals and having a few glitches with some of the pieces.

Particularly problematic is the PEG locks (

)

I can add this no problem but sometimes there is a large brown parcel sitting on top of the lock. I've seen this appear before in the past with a few other downloaded components (transit lots if I remember rightly) but never managed to resolve. I'm assuming this is due to one of the animation views not working - I can see the full lock with and without a ship in it and I'm guessing the parcel is appearing when a lock is supposed to be empty / water level down? If I place several locks they all do this.

I'm running Rush Hour exp with NAM version 30 (2011)

Also an issue with the Oppie's canal set I can't seem to get the boats, locks and curve sections demonstrated in this Youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8akfn2sMNcs) - all I have are the straight sections, corners and bridges.

Been hunting all the SC4 websites to no avail to find a solution to both these problems.

First off: Hiya, IainScot74. Welcome to Simtropolis. *:)

Any time you get a brown box it's telling us that the game cannot find a model thinger it is expecting.  This can be caused by one of two things.

1. There's a dependency it needs that isn't installed.
  2. The path to the dependency is too long and it's getting confuzzled by that.

So, the first thing to check is that you have all the required dependencies. If so, then try moving them up to a higher level folder in your plugins.

For the missing curves and such, I'll just be taking a guess, but a lot of other items use what are called Tab-Rings. This means you select a piece from the menu and then press the Tab Key to see other pieces. Shift+Tab lets you cycle thru the ring in reverse order. Now, I can't say that's the case with the canals cause I've never used them, but give it a whirl and see what happens.

And, ofc, our smarter gurus will be along soon and correct anything I've stated incorrectly. *;)

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for that CorinaMarie  I checked the download and there was a dependency required right enough. Have installed just now so will see next time I run the game. Hopefully checking the DL pages again will solve this with my other dodgy lots as well. :D

I'm sure I tried tab rings but will double check again but I'm sure the items I'm missing were showing in the lots menu in the Youtube clip

3 minutes ago, IainScot74 said:

Hopefully checking the DL pages again will solve this with my other dodgy lots as well.

Every now and then the DL page will be missing that information. :O It could be because the author forgot or that during one of our site's many upgrades the text or linky got trampled. So, be sure to also check the ReadMe file that's usually included in the download. And if it's still acting up, let us know here and someone will have the answer.

6 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

For the missing curves and such, I'll just be taking a guess, but a lot of other items use what are called Tab-Rings. This means you select a piece from the menu and then press the Tab Key to see other pieces. Shift+Tab lets you cycle thru the ring in reverse order. Now, I can't say that's the case with the canals cause I've never used them, but give it a whirl and see what happens.

One thing to remember is that Tab-Rings are exclusively used for transit networks and related content, which is a game limitation. So whilst the base game and many NAM features use them, lots and buildings never will, it's simply not possible to utilise this feature for use with your average download.

The issue is simply that there are many add-ons that are needed for these additional pieces, they don't necessarily come with the base set. Oppie's canals have been around a long time, but were never fully released on the STEX or LEX to my knowledge. Sadly that means as some of the smaller SC4 exchanges have closed, some of this content may have been lost forever. You could ask in this thread, perhaps someone knows a place they are still available:

But if not, there may not be a lot you can do about it.