Trishaa

Number of residents (medium density)

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Is there a mod that reduce the number of residents in medium density buildings? I haven't played SC4 for a long time, but I remember that earlier these 5-floor buildings in my game had fewer residents than now (about 200 as for now). Or it depends just on lots itself, like certain residental lots has less number of occupants?

53 minutes ago, Trishaa said:

Is there a mod that reduce the number of residents in medium density buildings?

I'm going to guess no on this, but the experts will correct me when they get here if I'm wrong. One thing we should clarify: Are you asking in reference to only the original Maxis content or do you also have Custom Content you've gotten from our STEX, Devotion's LEX, or other places?

The occupancy numbers are calculated by some kind of fill percentage based on the width, height, and depth of something or other in one of the creation tools. As I understand it this wasn't well understood in the early days of batting and lotting and so some custom content might be way out of whack. There is some magic way to run each of those thru PIM-X and it'll recalculate that part.

If you are wondering why I'm a bit vague on the how and why part it's cause I only have a cursory understanding of that. Our gurus will give you a more useful reply.

59 minutes ago, Trishaa said:

Or it depends just on lots itself, like certain residental lots has less number of occupants?

Yeah, I'm fairly certain it is per lot as in there isn't one single magic number that would reduce the occupant density for all medium residential in one fell swoop.

No,

- imho -

you can't implement an algorithm that reads the actual density and then reduces a certain percentage from the capacity satisfied propery (amount of residents). Most lots can grow on more than one density. They can grow on low and medium dense zones or medium and high - some on all three.  Changing capacity would always affect all densities the lot is specified for. Or in other words - there is no direct relationship between zone densitiy and capacity (amount of residentials) you could mod - these are independend properties. When creating a lot you can say its for this or that density indipendend from its size or filling degree (population density). Instead this would determine grow level. A higher capacity on the same density would give a higher grow level, less capacity would give a lower grow level.

So only solution is to mod each lot separately. Which still should be done in a balanced way otherwise some buildings/lots will grow much more often than others or they won't grow anymore at all.   Or you simply change density from medum to high on the lots you don't want on medium density.

Or one could say:  density is a category of space and visual appearance - you zone the suburbs low, the city center high - meanwhile capacity is a category of time and development and will increase during time on all three zone densities. Imagine them like two different axis of the game. One going in width to texture the area one goes up (skyscraping) through time. You can zone all three densities at any time but still not all buildings won't grow at any time. No matter - on all densities the same - first smaller buildings with less capacity, later bigger buildings with higher capacities will grow. So density and capacity aren't related - and where's no relationship it's not possible to mod/change it.

[EDIT]

If I understood well this independence of density and capacity is what the IRM is taking advantage of.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks. Looks like i had have the "special" houses before, with a reasonable number of occupants (in relation to houses' appearance) (sadly I lost DVD which was contain my old Plugin folder).

2 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

The occupancy numbers are calculated by some kind of fill percentage based on the width, height, and depth of something or other in one of the creation tools. As I understand it this wasn't well understood in the early days of batting and lotting and so some custom content might be way out of whack. There is some magic way to run each of those thru PIM-X and it'll recalculate that part.

This part can be a big problem, in essence there can be huge disparities with custom content between it and the original Maxis content and also between various modders. PIM-X a modding tool where one of it's main aims was at resolving this issue, by using an algorithm that was constant based on the true size of the area for living/working of a building. It's a great idea and if everyone used it, we'd have a single consistent set of values today. However, many modders still use other tools, there is also the option to manually adjust these figures, but much content was simply made before this was available.

Realistically there are two ways to solve such issues:

1. Mod the content yourself to correct for the problem, not actually as difficult as you might think. In essence you'd need a copy of the PIM-X application from here installed.
      • Open each of the "buildings" used to make lots
      • Right click and select "Recompute Properties as xxx" (where xxx = the type of building).
      • It will ask you for something called a filling degree, and will then re-calculate everything for you.
        This value represents the area inside a 3D box which could be considered as a part where people could live/work. It's much simpler in practise than it might sound, once you've clicked to how this works.
      • Save the file, rinse and repeat for the next.
    2. Try to only selectively download/use content that has similar properties or where you know PIM-X was used to create it. This is much harder, because sometimes this information isn't clearly stated and it's not like there is a magic number for each building/lot you can use as reference.

If you do decide to go with solution 1, be sure to check the support page for important information to get up and running. Also note a separate download is available with a comprehensive step by step user guide. Although anyone around here will be happy to help you if you run into problems/questions along the way :).