olegario39

How do you build a perpendicular onramp on a sunken highway?

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

In fact it's not really easy to make those ramps work as intented. If I remember well (because I haven't used them in more than a year), you need to widen the trench by one tile in each side, and 6 tiles length. Also, the depth of the trench has to be 15 metres

In addition to what matias93 said, you could solve this situation by using the RealHighway mod. I know, nobody likes dealing with the RHW or with any mods in general, but it is easy to use in this case.

Without changing anything in your Maxis standard highway, you can look for the Maxis-compatible highway exit ramps included with the latest RHW release (their type is known as Project Symphony in case you stumble with that name in the literature). These are exit ramps that blend in with the Maxis standard highways. Once you have them installed, then you can use the RHW on-/off-ramps puzzle pieces plus the elevated road puzzle pieces to create a highway overpass that works seamlessly with the 15 meters trench.

This is one of the kind of things that is easier to explain with images than words, I'll try to post a couple of examples from my cities when I get back home.

That method of "Plop and done" simply won't work, the Maxis pre-fabs will always level the terrain.

What you need to do is use NAM puzzle pieces (assuming you have NAM installed), which will allow for the terrain to remain. This requires you have the Elevated Road Viaducts and Maxis Highway additional interchanges installed:

MHY-Sunken-Interchange.jpg.d166fbed35d9b098a314560f2fe738ed.jpg

Start from the Road Menu, find the 15m Elevated Avenue Viaducts button. Use two "T" Avenue OnSlope Pieces to cross the trench with the Avenue network, then find the Ave over MHY pieces to complete the overpass.

Now in the Highway Menu, find the button for Single Sided Parallel Ramps, select either the Ground Highway Parallel Ramp Road or One Way Road pieces, to connect the highway with on/off ramps to the overpass. You should place these from a 15m high embankment, not from the highway level, that will ensure they conform to the terrain.

Here I've also used a set of filler pieces by BuddyBud which add walls and other details to the highway. Of course those are optional.

• Original Poster
  • 21 hours ago, rsc204 said:

That method of "Plop and done" simply won't work, the Maxis pre-fabs will always level the terrain.

What you need to do is use NAM puzzle pieces (assuming you have NAM installed), which will allow for the terrain to remain. This requires you have the Elevated Road Viaducts and Maxis Highway additional interchanges installed:

MHY-Sunken-Interchange.jpg.d166fbed35d9b098a314560f2fe738ed.jpg

Start from the Road Menu, find the 15m Elevated Avenue Viaducts button. Use two "T" Avenue OnSlope Pieces to cross the trench with the Avenue network, then find the Ave over MHY pieces to complete the overpass.

Now in the Highway Menu, find the button for Single Sided Parallel Ramps, select either the Ground Highway Parallel Ramp Road or One Way Road pieces, to connect the highway with on/off ramps to the overpass. You should place these from a 15m high embankment, not from the highway level, that will ensure they conform to the terrain.

Here I've also used a set of filler pieces by BuddyBud which add walls and other details to the highway. Of course those are optional.

i noticed that avenue viaduct has fences. is that a texture mod?

Yes/No... whilst I am using the BuddyBud bridge skins here, I also have another mod that adjusts all Puzzle-Based Viaduct pieces, part of this:

So depending on which part you are looking for, you may want to check out both.

• Original Poster
  • ok I now know how to build sunken onramps. thanks! 

now i have another problem....i can't seem to get the diagonal onslope pieces properly! they look, well....too sloped. unfortunately i cant provide a photo. my internet is acting up again....

Make a test slope and try plopping them on different ways, it's basically trial and error until you get the idea (I still fail half of the time with the old diagonal on slope ramps, and haven't even tried the new ones :haha: )

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Moses Zal
        Hey guys,
        I always noticed this happening. When I lower the funding of the maxis jail because I have much less than 1,000 inmates inside the prison, I start to see prisoners running and cops trying to catch them on foot. Of course when I am lowering the funding, I am always keeping the capacity more that the number of inmates. Does this mean that prisoners are escaping or is it just an annoying eye candy? 
        Edit: I got the answer, It didn't came to my mind to look for the answer in Prima's official e-guide before posting. Decreasing funding of jails increases the chances of a prison break.
      • By Supernia
        SimCity 4 was released for PC on January 14, 2003.

Happy birthday SC4! 
      • By Chief ZDN
        Hello,
        My idea on mod listing is failed because it has a fatal flaw: it's not hassle-less. So, I'll redefine the existing Modpacc. The new Modpacc uses a LEX Deptracker-like system, but it's completely decentralized (even at the specification except for approving team but it's elected by the community). It's more reliable than the mod listing system and less expensive than the package management system. And, it's legal both for creators and site owners since site owner can opt-in to be integrated (meaning opt-out site behaves like an external site on LEX) and no ads circumvention involved.
        The spec is coming soon but suggestions are welcome. There are 2 versions of spec offered, HTML and PDF. And, it's open source, meaning you can suggest changes on the spec easily and approved by the rolling approving team elected based on trust and contributions but still democratic.
        Thanks.
      • By jmak
        Hello,
        Over the last few weeks I have been developing a multiplayer region system for SimCity 4, which I have named Poppy Multiplayer Regions (PMR). Now that it has reached the Release Candidacy stage, I would like to share it all with you.
        You can register for an account and download the second release candidate of the PMR Launcher at http://getpmr.com/
        Of course, you probably do not trust programs from unknown developers. So, I have also provided the Python source code at https://github.com/cizmic/pmr-client for you to review and run.
        What makes PMR different from Dropbox regions?
        Primitive multiplayer regions have been explored in SimCity 4 for quite some time in the form of shared Dropbox directories. While they worked most of the time, these regions had three major flaws:
        No city permissions. There was no real way of protecting one's saves from others, since Dropbox regions were typically configured to handle permissions only at the directory level. As a result, most regions were strictly private. Adjacent save overwriting. In every save operation, SimCity 4 doesn't just modify the current tile, but also the adjacent tiles. Because of this, it was previously impossible for two players to play in adjacent cities at the same time. Complicated setup. This isn't such an issue for powerusers, but configuring SimCity 4 to run from the Dropbox path was tricky for many newer players. PMR overcomes all of these issues by having a server and launcher that are specifically designed for SimCity 4 regions. I have attached a diagram that shows how the saving system allows for city permissions and adjacent playing.
        How to try PMR out
        If you want to try out Poppy Multiplayer Regions, just follow these steps:
        Register for an account at http://getpmr.com/join Download the launcher from the PMR website, or download from the STEX Install and launch the client. Then, connect to a region and log in with your PMR account. The PMR Launcher does all of the synchronization and launching for you. You can view the Readme file that installs with the launcher for more information.
        How permissions work in PMR
        PMR uses what is known as a claims system. In this system, you can only edit cities that you have claimed. All other saves will be ignored by the server. To claim an unoccupied tile, just save it; you can find unoccupied tiles in the Launcher Map that pops up whenever you connect to a region.
        Choose wisely -- you can only claim one tile per region, and you can't abandon a claim.
        What's next?
        PMR is still a work in progress -- the launcher is still a Release Candidate. I've ironed out most of the kinks, but there still might be some small bugs and errors. I'd greatly appreciate it if you could try out the launcher and give me feedback to improve it.
        So far, there is only one region ("Anise") that consists of 36 large tiles. I'm not sure how quickly this will fill up, but when it does I will expand it or add another region.
        A note on plugins
        PMR synchronizes plugins, and I've included my Underwater Ferry Connectors in the Anise plugins set to demonstrate this. Since redistributing others' plugins requires explicit permission, I am wondering if anybody is interested in having their plugins added to the Anise region.
        Thanks, and have fun!

• By jmak
        In order to use this launcher, you will need to register for a PMR account at http://getpmr.com/join
        Poppy Multiplayer Regions (PMR) is a new multiplayer solution for SimCity 4 that allows for save protection and adjacent tile editing. The PMR launcher automatically synchronizes regions and launches SimCity 4 for you -- all you have to do is choose a region and log in.
        To learn more about PMR, please see my post on the forums. There is also a Readme that is installed along with the launcher.