olegario39

How do you build a perpendicular onramp on a sunken highway?

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

In fact it's not really easy to make those ramps work as intented. If I remember well (because I haven't used them in more than a year), you need to widen the trench by one tile in each side, and 6 tiles length. Also, the depth of the trench has to be 15 metres

In addition to what matias93 said, you could solve this situation by using the RealHighway mod. I know, nobody likes dealing with the RHW or with any mods in general, but it is easy to use in this case.

Without changing anything in your Maxis standard highway, you can look for the Maxis-compatible highway exit ramps included with the latest RHW release (their type is known as Project Symphony in case you stumble with that name in the literature). These are exit ramps that blend in with the Maxis standard highways. Once you have them installed, then you can use the RHW on-/off-ramps puzzle pieces plus the elevated road puzzle pieces to create a highway overpass that works seamlessly with the 15 meters trench.

This is one of the kind of things that is easier to explain with images than words, I'll try to post a couple of examples from my cities when I get back home.

That method of "Plop and done" simply won't work, the Maxis pre-fabs will always level the terrain.

What you need to do is use NAM puzzle pieces (assuming you have NAM installed), which will allow for the terrain to remain. This requires you have the Elevated Road Viaducts and Maxis Highway additional interchanges installed:

MHY-Sunken-Interchange.jpg.d166fbed35d9b098a314560f2fe738ed.jpg

Start from the Road Menu, find the 15m Elevated Avenue Viaducts button. Use two "T" Avenue OnSlope Pieces to cross the trench with the Avenue network, then find the Ave over MHY pieces to complete the overpass.

Now in the Highway Menu, find the button for Single Sided Parallel Ramps, select either the Ground Highway Parallel Ramp Road or One Way Road pieces, to connect the highway with on/off ramps to the overpass. You should place these from a 15m high embankment, not from the highway level, that will ensure they conform to the terrain.

Here I've also used a set of filler pieces by BuddyBud which add walls and other details to the highway. Of course those are optional.

• Original Poster
  • 21 hours ago, rsc204 said:

That method of "Plop and done" simply won't work, the Maxis pre-fabs will always level the terrain.

What you need to do is use NAM puzzle pieces (assuming you have NAM installed), which will allow for the terrain to remain. This requires you have the Elevated Road Viaducts and Maxis Highway additional interchanges installed:

MHY-Sunken-Interchange.jpg.d166fbed35d9b098a314560f2fe738ed.jpg

Start from the Road Menu, find the 15m Elevated Avenue Viaducts button. Use two "T" Avenue OnSlope Pieces to cross the trench with the Avenue network, then find the Ave over MHY pieces to complete the overpass.

Now in the Highway Menu, find the button for Single Sided Parallel Ramps, select either the Ground Highway Parallel Ramp Road or One Way Road pieces, to connect the highway with on/off ramps to the overpass. You should place these from a 15m high embankment, not from the highway level, that will ensure they conform to the terrain.

Here I've also used a set of filler pieces by BuddyBud which add walls and other details to the highway. Of course those are optional.

i noticed that avenue viaduct has fences. is that a texture mod?

Yes/No... whilst I am using the BuddyBud bridge skins here, I also have another mod that adjusts all Puzzle-Based Viaduct pieces, part of this:

So depending on which part you are looking for, you may want to check out both.

• Original Poster
  • ok I now know how to build sunken onramps. thanks! 

now i have another problem....i can't seem to get the diagonal onslope pieces properly! they look, well....too sloped. unfortunately i cant provide a photo. my internet is acting up again....

Make a test slope and try plopping them on different ways, it's basically trial and error until you get the idea (I still fail half of the time with the old diagonal on slope ramps, and haven't even tried the new ones :haha: )