Jump to content
Bad Peanut

BadPeanut: Road Modding [WIP] New Asymmetric Road - give me your thoughts

192 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

I would really like to see more bikelanes
They're all exactly used like this in reallife in atleast The Netherlands.
Bicycle friendliness  and protection of vulnerable road users (bicyclists and pedestrians) is key in these configurations. Kinda fits the whole Green Cities theme.

image.thumb.png.a4f3dd99986239c5495d4187d1dead93.png1. /\ Wide street with parking, bicycle lanes and side decoration (aka protection)
The first one has walking space and bicycle space, protected by both a treeline and parking spaces. This is how bicyclist are the safest from cars and is fairly common in the netherlands. If the space is avaiable, this one is preferred. 

image.png.7c8c38ae3a55433866f46c07a10ff620.png

1.5 /\ Wide street with parking, , bicycle lanes and side + middle decoration (aka protection)
This one is the same as one, but with a middle decorative and protective lane. 

image.png.042aaab376170adadb117ce67abd23cb.png

2. /\ Wide street with parking and bicycle lanes.
The second one is the same, except for trees. When space is scarce.

image.png.96a66389c8b3aae621935064e41d5fb6.png

3. /\ Wide street with parking and 2-directional bicyclepath on one side.
Third one has a bicyclepath that goes both way on one side. Also common if the destination for bicyclist is most of the time on this side of the road, with nothing (forest, farmland) on the other side. https://www.verkeer-oefenen.nl/assets/images/verkeer_oefenen/groep_7/Fietsers_fietspad_tweerichtingen.jpg

image.png.83b1442e133e406729704bd584c52a6f.png

4. /\ Small city street with side decoration 
Fourth one has no parking spots, but cyclists and people are protected by either trees or a bush. This one is 16m, so this one would be reaaaally perfect.

image.png.58b094f7feef6d11057ef4f7c2d10b6c.png

5. /\ Small city street with side decoration and 2-directional bicycle path on on side.
Fifth one is the same as above, also 16m, but with the bike paths on one side.

image.png.29e022022d633e67dbd013989b23ad58.png

6. /\ Bicycle Boulevard
Sixth one is used on quiet roads and when space is scarce. Its basically a wide bike path with 'guest' cars for people living next to these streets. Low maximum speed (<30) and bicyclists are basically the boss on these roads. 
http://www.anteagroup.be/sites/default/files/fietsstraat_0.jpg
Notice how the car has to stay behind the bicyclists and do not have the right to honk to take over or anything. Its important that the road is actually different from a regular carlane, either a red/green color, smaller or many bumps/markings.

 

I know not all of them either either 16 or 32 wide but these would be great.
Bush or treelines between parking or carlanes are preferred, so cars won't accidently hit bikes and drivers won't smash their door open into bicyclists, if space is scarce they can do without however.
Roads under 50 km/h, bikes go on street, roads above 50 km/h bikes have a seperated bikelane. Cycling on sidewalks is baaaad. (except for the deep countryside maybe)


I would love to make them myself, I don't have any clue how to so I hope modders like you can make roads like these. If you could use assistence I would also happily help you. I feels kinda stupid that I need to ask others to make what I want.
If you want I could post more variations of these roads that are used in reallife, but I felt like this should give the right idea.
Every sidewalk that is 2.1 wide, is supposed to be 2 wide.

Nr. 1 and 4 are great and I would really like to see them in my city.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • 5 hours ago, reasonably1 said:

    Hi! Amazing work! Do you think it's possible to make a super simple tiny (8m) road like the one shown here? It's a low-traffic local road that pedestrians can walk on and cars drive in both directions. I'd imagine it needs lanes for Ped / Drive Forward / Drive Backward / Ped, but without any actual curb, just all put next to each other on asphalt, with the asphalt texture reaching to the edge. These kind of roads are super common in Asia (here, South Korea, but I've also seen them in Japan). With or without parking, I don't mind. If it's easier, one-way works too.

    Sorry that I couldn't make this in StreetMix, but the point is that it has no curb (but zoneable and pedestrians can walk on them). Link to this street view.

    59e8cb8010817_ScreenShot2017-10-20at00_55_48.thumb.png.2693fa430973a742bf53b767018491cb.png

    There is a minimum width for zoneable roads of 2 cells. Use NExt roads if you need less than that

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I have my own proposals based on road designs in Europe and North America. 

    First of all the 4 lane one way + bus lane road. I based this on an actual road design from Athens, Greece, but it has 4 lanes instead of 5. I believe this would be very versatile for people who want to keep their one way roads but want to have bus stops on both sides, or people who want express buses. 

    4-lane-onway--busway.thumb.png.32d51af9e34dd6a7cbd113e918cc4145.png

     

    Next we have a 5 lane one way road. Even though it is not very common even in very large cities it does exist in some places like in New York. This one will have the most capacity other than a highway. 

    5-lane-oneway.thumb.png.e9471a397022f16a9bd51c30a4b17a6c.png

    Now we have a six lane road with two additional internal turn lanes. This is actually quite common in places where large avenues intersect. 

    6-lane-road-with-2-turn-lanes.thumb.png.a2e3f5ca1d992ad05aad05e0d14f34ca.png

    This is a six road with a central turn lane for both directions. Again, this is relatively common, especially in North America.

    6-lane-road-with-central-turn-lane.thumb.png.ae50810a130089e75448cf4ccca8cda4.png

    Finally, we have a 4 lane road with a bicycle lane in each direction. This is also relatively common.

    4-lane-road-with-bike-lanes.thumb.png.37a20f12a74b9108650bcffeb8888393.png

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • 3 hours ago, Giveaway412 said:

    Do you think it'd be possible for you to recreate the 16-lane monster road created in the Road Modding dev diary? I'd like to have it just for novelty purposes.

    (also the sooner somebody figures out how to create toll booths, the better)

    I don't believe in hell so I won't build a road to it ;)

    52 minutes ago, Remcodd said:

    I would really like to see more bikelanes
    They're all exactly used like this in reallife in atleast The Netherlands.
    Bicycle friendliness  and protection of vulnerable road users (bicyclists and pedestrians) is key in these configurations. Kinda fits the whole Green Cities theme.

    image.thumb.png.a4f3dd99986239c5495d4187d1dead93.png1. /\ Wide street with parking, bicycle lanes and side decoration (aka protection)
    The first one has walking space and bicycle space, protected by both a treeline and parking spaces. This is how bicyclist are the safest from cars and is fairly common in the netherlands. If the space is avaiable, this one is preferred. 

    image.png.7c8c38ae3a55433866f46c07a10ff620.png

    1.5 /\ Wide street with parking, , bicycle lanes and side + middle decoration (aka protection)
    This one is the same as one, but with a middle decorative and protective lane. 

    image.png.042aaab376170adadb117ce67abd23cb.png

    2. /\ Wide street with parking and bicycle lanes.
    The second one is the same, except for trees. When space is scarce.

    image.png.96a66389c8b3aae621935064e41d5fb6.png

    3. /\ Wide street with parking and 2-directional bicyclepath on one side.
    Third one has a bicyclepath that goes both way on one side. Also common if the destination for bicyclist is most of the time on this side of the road, with nothing (forest, farmland) on the other side. https://www.verkeer-oefenen.nl/assets/images/verkeer_oefenen/groep_7/Fietsers_fietspad_tweerichtingen.jpg

    image.png.83b1442e133e406729704bd584c52a6f.png

    4. /\ Small city street with side decoration 
    Fourth one has no parking spots, but cyclists and people are protected by either trees or a bush. This one is 16m, so this one would be reaaaally perfect.

    image.png.58b094f7feef6d11057ef4f7c2d10b6c.png

    5. /\ Small city street with side decoration and 2-directional bicycle path on on side.
    Fifth one is the same as above, also 16m, but with the bike paths on one side.

    image.png.29e022022d633e67dbd013989b23ad58.png

    6. /\ Bicycle Boulevard
    Sixth one is used on quiet roads and when space is scarce. Its basically a wide bike path with 'guest' cars for people living next to these streets. Low maximum speed (<30) and bicyclists are basically the boss on these roads. 
    http://www.anteagroup.be/sites/default/files/fietsstraat_0.jpg
    Notice how the car has to stay behind the bicyclists and do not have the right to honk to take over or anything. Its important that the road is actually different from a regular carlane, either a red/green color, smaller or many bumps/markings.

     

    I know not all of them either either 16 or 32 wide but these would be great.
    Bush or treelines between parking or carlanes are preferred, so cars won't accidently hit bikes and drivers won't smash their door open into bicyclists, if space is scarce they can do without however.
    Roads under 50 km/h, bikes go on street, roads above 50 km/h bikes have a seperated bikelane. Cycling on sidewalks is baaaad. (except for the deep countryside maybe)


    I would love to make them myself, I don't have any clue how to so I hope modders like you can make roads like these. If you could use assistence I would also happily help you. I feels kinda stupid that I need to ask others to make what I want.
    If you want I could post more variations of these roads that are used in reallife, but I felt like this should give the right idea.
    Every sidewalk that is 2.1 wide, is supposed to be 2 wide.

    Nr. 1 and 4 are great and I would really like to see them in my city.

     

     

     

    Good concepts but PLEASE if you want me to bother you need to make sure they fit properly and have the correct lane widths - check out the first post in this thread for instructions. If you can't show me them as working viable concepts then i won't waste my time trying to figure it out when I can just make someone's road who has put that effort into it. Make an effort please, because it's such a small simple thing to do.

    10 minutes ago, FilipposRoads said:

    I have my own proposals based on road designs in Europe and North America. 

    First of all the 4 lane one way + bus lane road. I based this on an actual road design from Athens, Greece, but it has 4 lanes instead of 5. I believe this would be very versatile for people who want to keep their one way roads but want to have bus stops on both sides, or people who want express buses. 

    4-lane-onway--busway.thumb.png.32d51af9e34dd6a7cbd113e918cc4145.png

     

    Next we have a 5 lane one way road. Even though it is not very common even in very large cities it does exist in some places like in New York. This one will have the most capacity other than a highway. 

    5-lane-oneway.thumb.png.e9471a397022f16a9bd51c30a4b17a6c.png

    Now we have a six lane road with two additional internal turn lanes. This is actually quite common in places where large avenues intersect. 

    6-lane-road-with-2-turn-lanes.thumb.png.a2e3f5ca1d992ad05aad05e0d14f34ca.png

    This is a six road with a central turn lane for both directions. Again, this is relatively common, especially in North America.

    6-lane-road-with-central-turn-lane.thumb.png.ae50810a130089e75448cf4ccca8cda4.png

    Finally, we have a 4 lane road with a bicycle lane in each direction. This is also relatively common.

    4-lane-road-with-bike-lanes.thumb.png.37a20f12a74b9108650bcffeb8888393.png

    Again interesting concepts but you MUST submit any suggestions as outlined in the first post of this thread otherwise you will post things that just won't work in game and be a waste of time, space and internet data..

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I did follow the suggestions. The only thing that perhaps I did not follow is the pavement thingy or else the lanes would not fit or there was too much empty space. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    4 minutes ago, Bad Peanut said:

    I don't believe in hell so I won't build a road to it ;)

    Good concepts but PLEASE if you want me to bother you need to make sure they fit properly and have the correct lane widths - check out the first post in this thread for instructions. If you can't show me them as working viable concepts then i won't waste my time trying to figure it out when I can just make someone's road who has put that effort into it. Make an effort please, because it's such a small simple thing to do.

    Again interesting concepts but you MUST submit any suggestions as outlined in the first post of this thread otherwise you will post things that just won't work in game and be a waste of time, space and internet data..

    I thought the 16 or 32 width was optional, Ill try and see wich ones ar epossible in that shape. 16 is often too small and 32 too large.

    How large do the bicycle paths have to be? Also 3m wide? Theyre not specified in the description and since they are not as large...

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Just now, Remcodd said:

    How large do the bicycle paths have to be? Also 3m wide? Theyre not specified in the description and since they are not as large..

    No less than 2m at a minimum

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Try number 2 with either 16 or 32 width. Since 16 is often too small and 32 waaay too wide for normal 2 carlane roads with some extras, these are the 4 (5) i could think of, used in reallife.

     

    1. \/ Protected bike paths, no parking, 16m
    Bicyclists are protected by a piece of concrete between road and bikepath. It isn't an actual sidewalk (so no 2m), just concrete/grass with bushes or trees.
    image.png.9b7084e8e8a40d134cd5f1e0b5dbc215.png

     

    1.5 \/ City street, 2-directional bike path on one side. 

    Same as the one above, except for the two bike paths merged into one, if no space is avaiable on the left side or all destinations are on the right side. In reallife the one above is prefered (safer).  Again, sidewalk with tree is not an actual sidewalk but more a protection and decoraton layer, (so <2m)

    image.png.4ac41c1ee498ec6784293dddfb15b436.png

     

    2. \/ Bicycle boulevard 16m

    Basically wide bike path that allows cars for surrounding houses. Again, sidewalk with tree is not an actual sidewalk but more a protection and decoraton layer, (so <2m)

    image.png.e0e3b8100c1b8c4bcbf55ddff6d58030.png

     

    3. \/ Wide street with 2-directional bikelanes on both sides, parking. 32m
    This road is for a large amount of traffic, both bikes and cars. The trees protect against ramming into each other head on and parked cars opening their doors into upcoming bicyclists.
    Again, sidewalk with tree is not an actual sidewalk but more a protection and decoraton layer, (so <2m)

    image.thumb.png.3051ca373e8d7924aebb5d499f36ea9f.png

     

    4. \/ Wide street with seperated tram 32m

    Same as nr. 3 but with trams instead of a double carlane. Tram lanes could also be used by busses (and in some cases taxis, other mod) if wanted)
    Again, sidewalk with tree is not an actual sidewalk but more a protection and decoraton layer, (so <2m)

    image.thumb.png.0fbe9c2ab7899b7574d036a313365d7e.png

     

     

    I think the 'sidewalk with tree' give a better a visual idea of what i mean, they are NOT ment as a sidewalk however but just a piece of concrete or grass. So thats why they are not 2m atleast. You could keep those patches empty or just grass, and then trees can be placed manually or by people themselves in the editor, whatever you think works best.

    I hope these work for you and I would really like to see them or atleast something like it ingame.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • 24 minutes ago, FilipposRoads said:

    I did follow the suggestions. The only thing that perhaps I did not follow is the pavement thingy or else the lanes would not fit or there was too much empty space. 

    sooooo you did follow the suggestions but you didn't follow them?
    also suggestions sounds like you have a choice, think of them more as instructions because If you don't follow them then the end result won't be what you desired :P

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I found out later that these exist image.png.78b55461d4c45c488392e70a954f15a3.png

    So i ment these instead of the "sidewalk with trees" you see in my config. Its exactly the same but now its clear it isnt a sidewalk

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Sorry about my tiny road idea, I must have missed that part of the instructions.

    I made one road similar to something posted here before, but hopefully with proper widths.

    https://streetmix.net/-/588591

    medium-road-with-segregated-sidewalks-and-bike-lan.thumb.png.433115bfe886ec6e221d1936891c747c.png

     

    And how about some more tram-only roads? The vanilla ones are pretty ugly imo. Put the trams on green, add some trees and proper sidewalks. You get the idea.

    https://streetmix.net/-/588598

    small-tram-only-road-with-median-trees.thumb.png.d91073e4fa2eca226b2a21bc9e2453ec.png

    Thank you again for doing this, much appreciated!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I don‘t know if this is the right place to ask, but anyway… I tried the road editor yesterday, but for some reason I only got a tab for the "Basic" variant. I tried several vanilla roads like the highway ramp, always with the same result. The tabs for "Elevated", "Bridge" etc. were missing.

    Any idea? I‘m playing on macOS by the way, and my game is heavily modded.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    40 minutes ago, Stanil said:

    Any idea? I‘m playing on macOS by the way, and my game is heavily modded.

    When I do something in the editor, I always use the -noWorkshop startup parameter. Like you say, mods not only influence the game, but also the editor. If you ever need some mods that help with asset creation, put them in the Local folder of the game (in AppData).

    Other than that I have no idea how MaxOS works, this is just what I do on Windows.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I'd like to see a Medium Road with 4 lanes going in the same direction (somewhere in the middle between the original 2 and 6 lanes one-way), with some trees or grass on the broad sidewalks. That way you can keep the 32m space and easily upgrade to the 6 lanes one-way when traffic increases :)

    medium-road-4-lanes-one-way--trees.thumb.png.c74579448488bb12060fdd7e2523237e.png

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    19 minutes ago, Leo_Chan said:

    Could you make a copy of your 6 Lane Road with Dedicated Tram but replace Tram with Bus?

    That doesn't really work. The buses will drive through the curbs unless you restrict them from doing that by using TM:PE.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    14 minutes ago, wasmic said:

    That doesn't really work. The buses will drive through the curbs unless you restrict them from doing that by using TM:PE.

    Oh, that's too bad.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 19.10.2017 at 11:23 PM, Bad Peanut said:

    There is a minimum width for zoneable roads of 2 cells. Use NExt roads if you need less than that

    I'm sure we can mod this quite easily.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Not 100% sure on the widths. It looks like when you add bike lanes to a road it straight replaces parking so went with 2m. The center median on the vanilla tram road was my goal, but it's just a guess. If it's 6 instead of 4 space could be poached from the sidewalks.

     

    unnamed-st.png

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • 12 hours ago, boformer said:

    I'm sure we can mod this quite easily.

    I would only use it if it was packaged with the road - meaning you wouldn't need a mod to load the road, only to create it

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • 14 hours ago, Leo_Chan said:

    Could you make a copy of your 6 Lane Road with Dedicated Tram but replace Tram with Bus?

    well cars still technically use bus lanes if they need to turn off with that lane - so they would go through the median strip..

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • 7 hours ago, 2centhammer said:

    Not 100% sure on the widths. It looks like when you add bike lanes to a road it straight replaces parking so went with 2m. The center median on the vanilla tram road was my goal, but it's just a guess. If it's 6 instead of 4 space could be poached from the sidewalks.

     

    unnamed-st.png

    median strip between tram lanes on the snowfall medium tram road is 3.2m wide FYI

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, Bad Peanut said:

    I would only use it if it was packaged with the road - meaning you wouldn't need a mod to load the road, only to create it

    Not sure if that would work. Maybe the road could be used without the mod, but the zone blocks would be 4m away from the road.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Have one type of street here in Australia  in some housing estates there are roads where only one side has a sidewalk and streetlights on that side I think.. :)   The interesting thing about this road type is the sidewalk and lights will change sides depending where it is oriented but usually after a roundabout..  The other thing is that the properties on the non sidewalk side will butt up against the road gutter the pic gives a rough idea..

     

     

    Onesided Sidewalk.png

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • 9 minutes ago, ghosty20 said:

    Have one type of street here in Australia  in some housing estates there are roads where only one side has a sidewalk and streetlights on that side I think.. :)   The interesting thing about this road type is the sidewalk and lights will change sides depending where it is oriented but usually after a roundabout..  The other thing is that the properties on the non sidewalk side will butt up against the road gutter the pic gives a rough idea..

     

     

    Onesided Sidewalk.png

    where in australia is that terrible road existing. It makes legit no sense hahaha

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    9 hours ago, Bad Peanut said:

    where in australia is that terrible road existing. It makes legit no sense hahaha

    Quite a few of the housing estates have them, they put the sidewalk on only one side, and the side that does not have sidewalk the property goes right to the road, heck even where I live the road has no sidewalk at all but does have housing.. Think of the dirt roads in game but the size of the two lane roads and asphalt, in Australia not all of our residential roads have sidewalk..

    This image is a good example of what we have here, second image has no sidewalk at all..

     

    EstateAustralia.jpg

    OIC_carine_monyash_road_residential.jpg

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    17 minutes ago, Turjan said:

    Would a pure fast tram track in a gravel bed technically also be a road in game terms?

    According to the Wiki, yes:

    "All nets will be referred to as roads here."

    Technically they are networks, of which Elevated and Tunnel etc. are Prefabs.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an Account  

    Sign up to join our friendly community. It's easy!  

    Register a New Account

    Sign In  

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now


    • Similar Content

      • By RandyE
        This lot uses the maximum number of props allowed on a lot. The props are listed as: LotConfigPropertyLotObjectData, starting with 0x88EDC900 and ending with 0x88EDCDFF for a total of 1,280 props.  Source: SC4 Devotion Forum
        The included road and parking overlay textures are the same as in my recently updated Quantum Dish download which has another version of the 3x3 Roundabout. If both are used then delete one or the other file named 'OverlayTexturesCivics_Network.dat'. The overlays may be used freely as long as a message to delete multiples of the same .dat file is included.
        EDIT NOTE:  All the network connections are for 'streets' (in gray) so you have to drag a street from the lot edge.   If you surround the lot with 'roads' (in black) they won't automatically connect and you can't drag roads out from the edge. 
        The Llama Reserve and Nature Park
        An 11x13 lot with Maxis animal animations of llamas, cows, horses, giraffes, bucks and pigeons (which rarely appear, if at all). High park effect in local area. Minimal pollution. Network and transit enabled. Uses 200 mwh of power.
        The Llama Statue Roundabout
        A 3x3 lot with a llama statue built from the Maxis rock props. This lot uses my road overlay textures to create a roundabout connected on each side to the network. High landmark effect. Minimal pollution. 
        The domestic llama statue was modelled from a picture by Kim Foster and is included under the Creative Commons Attribution 2 Generic License. Source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Domestic_llama_(2009-05-19).jpg
        Install:
        To install delete Previews and text files, place the 'Llama Reserve Nature Park V1' folder in your 'user documents/ SimCity 4/ plugins' folder.
        NO DEPENDENCIES
      • By Fistandantillus7
        New, here, new to modding Cities Skylines.
        I tried to create a new type of avenue but it did not work. I wanted a centre median for tram stops, a dedicated tram lane, two traffic lanes, a dedicated bicycle lane, and a sidewalk with trees. I definitely did not get the bike lanes but the bike lane text shows up on the sidewalk
        I uploaded what I did to Steam. I'm not sure how else to show what I did/did not do…
        Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
        Yell at me if I forgot to remove the props I was playing around with.
         
      • By Voeille
        This thread will include everything I create and share for CS, either in progress or already finished. I’m slow so I won’t add much often, but every now and then I’m tempted to enhance the game and add a little to the community
         
        Now I’m making an enhanced temperate theme that is supposed to look lush, designed for maps full of forests and eco cities with lots of nature beauty instead of dirty factories. It’s basically finished, but it’s never bad to ask for some feedback before releasing. I changed all textures and normals except for moon, gravel, and pavement, and tried to make them as little repetitive as possible, and balance a nice look between zoomed in and zoomed out views.
        Ruined is supposed to look like dirt, not like sand or dry ground. I changed alpha of ruined in a way that stops it from appearing under cliff (I never liked it). Field is fine, so I left it very noticeable, just changed the colour. I hope my alphas make a natural and smooth transitions between textures. Oil and ore areas are basically unnoticeable when zoomed out. It’s on purpose, because the vanilla “stains” don’t look good in my opinion, and there is the resource view that lets us see the exact resource placement. When zoomed in, there’s a little difference in the grass look. The textures are mash-ups, edits, and blends of The Sims 2 (and 3 with respect to grass) textures (I create content for TS2 and I often use original textures from that game to make mine), and a few free ones found online. I’ll post necessary credits in the description in the workshop. They either were seamless originally or I made them seamless, so there isn’t any tiling noticeable. The scale of tiling (adjustable in the theme editor) was the hardest to balance for the cliff texture. Large tiles look pretty good from distance, but very blurred when zoomed in. Small tiles look good when zoomed in, but make the texture very repetitive when zoomed out. I went for something in between, so it looks alright in both views, but I’m not perfectly content with it. It’d be best with a huge texture, but that’s not reasonable (and I don’t have any), so it’ll probably have to stay like that. It’s just my opinion, but the default temperate sand is terrible – not only does it glow orange/yellow, but has strange and repetitive alpha.  
        I know the previews aren’t very good, but I’ll make nicer and more descriptive ones for the actual release 
         
      • By Bad Peanut
        Hey guys, new Poll!
        Please choose out of the following options for a 32m wide network which will have 4 tram tracks.
        The idea is that this is still a station track prefab so it will only be able to be placed inside an asset (so similar to monorail station tracks). This is due to the fact it will be using a unique track configuration which I will make compatible with the CO vanilla groups (they will connect visually with any tram network using the same connect groups as snowfall tracks)
        The trams will be able to stop on each set of track so you can have 4 separate parallel stops on the same road.

        Please keep in mind the following:
        - DLC required for lanes,
        - platform widths (some of them are very skinny so maybe they're not as good)
        - overall usability as a medium road.
        - vehicle flow compatibility with vanilla/DLC roads







         
        FYI red tram lanes are tram only (not bus as well)

        IF you think of a better layout still vote on the above, but also POST a streetmix pic illustrating exactly how it can work within 32m and with the correct widths for lanes/platforms
      • By Cyclone Boom
        Cities: Skylines
        Index of Modding Tutorials & Information

        In an attempt to consolidate various tutorials & info on C:S modding, this topic will serve as an index.
        Basically, please post below links to anything aspiring modders may find useful!

        For example:
        Links to custom content related tutorials you've created in another topic (e.g. in this forum). Videos on YouTube, or similar video sites. Helpful links to online information / guides (e.g. Wiki articles, making best use of certain software features).  
        Note: If you wish to post a tutorial / share some personal advice, it's preferred to do so inside a new topic here in the modding forum. This way it keeps discussion contained inside individual topics, making each subject easier to follow, and allows the author to respond to comments.

        I'll update links accordingly in the list below:
         

        Modding General Info   (9 resources)

        (Info)  Modding API – Paradox Interactive
        (Info)  Unity Scripting API – Unity Technologies
        (Info)  Unity Manual – Unity Technologies
        (Info)  Location of User Data stored for the game – Paradox Interactive
        (Info)  Modding Properties Info Compendium – TPB / Skylines Info Squad
        (Video)  How to Install Cities: Skylines Mods – CapTon
        (Video)  How to Download Cities Skylines Mods on MAC – YouTube
        (Video)  Developer Stream: Mod Masterclass – HenkkaArt
        (Tutorial)  Unity Tutorials – Unity Technologies

        Modding   (7 resources)
        (Tutorial) Modding Tutorial 0: Your first mod - boformer
        (Tutorial) Modding Tutorial 1: Prop remover - boformer
        (Tutorial) Modding Tutorial 2: Road Tree replacer - boformer
        (Tutorial) Modding Tutorial 3: Show Limits - boformer
        (Tutorial) Modding Tutorial 4: Make historical - boformer
        (Tutorial)  How to create a Building Theme Mod – Donnerwurm
        (Tutorial)  Manipulating networks with a Hex Editor – Sims firehouse

        3D Modelling   (14 resources)

        (Info)  Polygon Count (Wiki article) – polycount
        (Info)  Free 3D Software and Resources for your Modelling Needs – Mr_Maison
        (Info)  An important reminder about Normal Maps – Cool_Z
        (Video)  Create an Asset for Cities: Skylines from Scratch – BigMasterBig
        (Video)  Making a Custom Model for Cities Skylines – YouTube
        (Video)  Import Model from Blender to Cities: Skylines – YouTube
        (Video)  Blender: Creating low poly Stones and Rocks – YouTube
        (Video)  Importing Sketchup Models – YouTube
        (Video)  Basic Building UV Mapping with 3ds Max 2008 – YouTube
        (Video)  3ds Max 2010 Tutorials (22 video playlist) – YouTube
        (Video)  Creation of a LOD model in 3ds Max – Shroomblaze
        (Video) Introduction to Blender - YouTube
        (Tutorial)  How to turn a Model into Game Ready Asset (3ds Max) – Shroomblaze
        (Tutorial)  Custom LOD creation in Blender – Exurbanite

        Asset Texturing   (13 resources)
        (Info)  NVIDIA Texture Tools for Adobe Photoshop – NVIDIA Corporation
        (Info)  How NOT to make normal maps from photos or images – KatsBits
        (Video) LOD Texture Baking (3DS Max) - Ronyx
        (Video) LOD Texture Baking (Blender) - Jerenable
        (Tutorial)  Bake Normal Maps for realistic, low-poly rocks, bushes and trees (and anything else) – boformer
        (Tutorial)  Illumination Map Texturing Overview – GC_Vos
        (Tutorial)  Detailed Nightlights – Cool_Z
        (Tutorial)  Common Nightlight mistakes you should avoid – Cool_Z
        (Tutorial)  Train Illumination.....a Different Animal – Mr_Maison
        (Tutorial)  How to use Alphas for grilles or balconies – Cool_Z
        (Tutorial)  Floors for Reflective Buildings... and others too – Cool_Z
        (Tutorial)  Speculars without artefacts – Cool_Z
        (Tutorial)  Map Editor: How to recreate roads from the real world – Krozjin

        Assets   (13 resources)
        (Tutorial)  Asset Creation 101 – Shroomblaze & various collaborators
        (Tutorial)  Creating & Applying Custom Props – TallgeeseIV
        (Tutorial)  How to add Custom Menu Icons to (almost) any Asset - The easier way – TPB
        (Tutorial)  How to add custom Content Manager Thumbnails to assets – TPB
        (Tutorial)  How to Place Assets Anywhere – TPB
        (Tutorial)  Remove Dirt from Tree and Prop Assets – TPB
        (Tutorial)  How to Change an Assets Category Tab while still retaining service info of another Category – Shroomblaze
        (Tutorial)  How to make a Blinking Neon Sign – boformer
        (Tutorial)  How to add lights to a prop – boformer
        (Tutorial)  How to create your own (complete) Building Style – boformer
        (Tutorial) Tutorial for Decal Creators - boformer
        (Tutorial) Making Custom Sitting Assets - hadece
        (Video) Big Decals - Ronyx

        Custom Content / Workshop   (4 resources)
        (Info)  Steam Workshop "Who to follow?" Suggestions – TPB / Skylines Info Squad
        (Info)  Content creator rights and how to enforce them - Avanya
        (Tutorial)  Sub Buildings Enabler Documentation for Asset Creators – boformer
        (Tutorial)  How to update your Workshop Assets - The easy way – TPB
         
        (60 total resources)
         
        Note:
        See this page for a list of Workshop modding guides / info, which may not already be listed above.
         
    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×

    Help Keep Simtropolis Online, Open & Free!

    stexcollection-header.png

    Get the best of the best from the STEX!

    Expand your city with the best from the Simtropolis Echange. Make a donation and get one or all three discs today!

    Make a Donation, Get a Gift!

    We need to continue to raise enough money each month to pay for expenses which includes hardware, bandwidth, software licenses, support licenses and other necessary 3rd party costs.

    By way of a "Thank You" gift, we'd like to send you our STEX Collector's DVD. It's some of the best buildings, lots, maps and mods collected for you over the years. Check out the STEX Collections for more info.

    Each donation helps keep Simtropolis online, open and free!

    Thank you for reading and enjoy the site!

    More About STEX Collections