220 posts in this topic Last Reply

1 hour ago, Bad Peanut said:

meanwhile: when roads require a tonne of meshes and textures, and this is only for the ground elevation of 1 asymmetric road :'(
qhLVFp6.png

Oh my god, and to think I was considering learning how to texture and make roads myself over the winter break! Geez D:

• Original Poster
  • 11 hours ago, alborzka said:

Oh my god, and to think I was considering learning how to texture and make roads myself over the winter break! Geez D:

it's still doable! the texturing and modelling is easy but it's just making the right amount of meshes for the roads, you need a new one if you have a bus stop or tram stop that requires a different platform. and then you need it going for each direction and both hence the "bus both" "bus both invert" (for LHD) "bus forward right" etc haha just time consuming but not overly difficult!

• Original Poster
  • 1 hour ago, velrox said:

"4+1"? i only see 3 lanes on one direction and 2 lanes on other. also, i'm still waiting for 4+2 asymmetric roads. and 4+1 asymmertic roads without median.

Yes you've already made that demand.  Keep waiting...

As for without median these roads already perform the same function so I'm not going to entertain the thought of basically doing a massive amount of work for exactly the same thing... 

I'm sure you'll have a little cry about it though

• Original Poster
  • Just now, Bad Peanut said:

Yes you've already made that demand.  Keep waiting...

As for without median these roads already perform the same function so I'm not going to entertain the thought of basically doing a massive amount of work for exactly the same thing... 

I'm sure you'll have a little cry about it though

Also - what's your idea of 4+2? I bet you're not going to like my idea of it... Hahaha

On 19/11/2017 at 12:47 AM, alborzka said:

Or you could just be lazy like me and get started using a single segment and node :D

23 hours ago, Bad Peanut said:

Also - what's your idea of 4+2? I bet you're not going to like my idea of it... Hahaha

4+2 would be like 4+1, except there are 2 turning lanes.

• Original Poster
  • 10 minutes ago, velrox said:

4+2 would be like 4+1, except there are 2 turning lanes.

As in two lanes turning across traffic? Nah it won't be like that for 2 reasons: 

1: the asymmetry gets out of hand with two lanes off center (messes up the alignment of the backward lanes)

2: the game doesn't really split lanes like that so I'd be forcing people to use a mod which i like to avoid. 

My 4+2 will be a normal 4 lane road with 1 lane you turn across traffic and another to turn off onto

• Original Poster
  • 41 minutes ago, Fistandantillus7 said:

2-lane-one-way--parking--bidirectional-bike-lane.png

this sort of style of road with the bike lanes off to one side is often requested however I do not see the appeal to put these in game because when this bike road connects to another AD bike road the bikes will have to cross across the stream of traffic to get to the next bike lane which will ultimately result in havoc with your traffic. they're a cool concept but I just don't think they're very game friendly

• Original Poster
  • 1 hour ago, wasmic said:

I'm pretty sure that is already available in NExt 2... although it might be lacking the parking spaces.

yeah but i actually think it's a reasonable request because i would rather NExt just became a smaller mod for 8 cell roads (as they're the only ones that can't be made in the road editor)

Great job on the roads! I would really like if you added tree lanes to the MT roads with monorail tracks (and of course reduce noise pollution accordingly; I don’t think I need to visualise them with that tool you linked in the first post, it’s the same as the original MT roads, just with trees), as I never use non-tree roads after I reach the milestone to unlock them.

• Original Poster
  • PSA reminder: guys don't use my meshes and textures because I will get the content removed from steam. I work too hard and spend a lot of free time producing free stuff for everyone and it's a bit of a slap in the face when people think they can use my work without asking and without even acknowledging where it came from. This person actually claimed it was vanilla on one upload, and the other two didn't even bother writing that. I personally hope they lose access to their 6 yr old steam account, and serve them right.

My two cents regarding the duplicate prefabs error: Have you tried replacing the relevant .crp files in the temporary 'Workshop Staging Area' folder with the ones from the local 'Assets' folder? As in, delete the former and copy/paste the latter? This probably sounds like a dumb suggestion, but the game's workshop upload function seems to mess up many things in the files when just uploading it straight. I honestly haven't tried it with road assets, but I remember I fixed a pedestrian connection problem in one of my assets with that method.

• Original Poster
  • 5 hours ago, Manuel-ito said:

My two cents regarding the duplicate prefabs error: Have you tried replacing the relevant .crp files in the temporary 'Workshop Staging Area' folder with the ones from the local 'Assets' folder? As in, delete the former and copy/paste the latter? This probably sounds like a dumb suggestion, but the game's workshop upload function seems to mess up many things in the files when just uploading it straight. I honestly haven't tried it with road assets, but I remember I fixed a pedestrian connection problem in one of my assets with that method.

i don't think that would help because the steam IDs are what is affecting the naming conventions producing the duplicates, but i might investigate this

• Original Poster
  • 11 hours ago, velrox said:

4-Lane Road with Median

i'm pretty sure it violates the rules because the lanes are too narrow.

unfortunately yes :( i could actually make it with those measurements but i just don't think some of the wider vehicles would be happy and it would cause stand offs between lanes.

11 hours ago, Bad Peanut said:

unfortunately yes :( i could actually make it with those measurements but i just don't think some of the wider vehicles would be happy and it would cause stand offs between lanes.

If it helps, I've been toying around with 2.5m lanes recently and have had good luck. No standoffs or problems so far, even with industrial vehicles.

• Original Poster
  • A new simple tram+bike 4 lane road! coming soon!

OKKysHj.jpg

OiZBDJi.jpg

Jd53jRA.jpg

lvyyNyn.jpg

kUdWlAD.jpg

(still got to realign the trees at the bus stop)

as you can see they have a island platform for trams (which will only appear with a stop), bike lanes with a little dividing kerb from the rest of the road, a designated bus stop (takes over the bike lane) and trees! these are all the new vanilla trees that arrived in the free update alongside green cities (apparently - because I turned off all my DLC and they were still in the menu - can anyone confirm it's the same) Plantbox 06 is repeated 100% of the time and the tree is repeated 75% of the time (just to get a bit of irregularity). Also comes with my new tram stop props embedded just like my other tram interchange network.

give me some thoughts but generally I'm happy with the overall design/textures :)

Glad someone is doing more tram and bike roads! Although, bikes and buses really shouldn't share the same space or interact with each other as it's dangerous. Considering the layout you have now, it may be best to swap the curbs (bike path / road barrier) and the bushes (bike path / sidewalk barrier) with each other as this gives better protection for cyclists anyway, and then have a bus stop design similar to the one below (just replace parking with bushes lol) so it'd be a constant barrier (no shape changing needed) like bushes/trees/grass__pavement for bus stop__bushes/trees/grass. This is best practise globally as well as in the Netherlands which has a lot of bike use. Either way, happy to see more of these roads! :)

06_V2-37-a.jpg

• Original Poster
  • 3 hours ago, alborzka said:

Glad someone is doing more tram and bike roads! Although, bikes and buses really shouldn't share the same space or interact with each other as it's dangerous. Considering the layout you have now, it may be best to swap the curbs (bike path / road barrier) and the bushes (bike path / sidewalk barrier) with each other as this gives better protection for cyclists anyway, and then have a bus stop design similar to the one below (just replace parking with bushes lol) so it'd be a constant barrier (no shape changing needed) like bushes/trees/grass__pavement for bus stop__bushes/trees/grass. This is best practise globally as well as in the Netherlands which has a lot of bike use. Either way, happy to see more of these roads! :)

06_V2-37-a.jpg

interesting point to make. And i agree it would be ideal but they're are plenty of roads as globally used that do have buses share bikes.  In reality the bios just give way to buses if a bus pulls into the stop. 

I think i will keep it how it is purely because if i did your suggestion you'd lose a car lane to fit it in the 32m width.  Maybe when i feel comfortable breaking out of the vanilla grid i might make these sorts of roads. 

1 hour ago, Bad Peanut said:

interesting point to make. And i agree it would be ideal but they're are plenty of roads as globally used that do have buses share bikes.  In reality the bios just give way to buses if a bus pulls into the stop. 

I think i will keep it how it is purely because if i did your suggestion you'd lose a car lane to fit it in the 32m width.  Maybe when i feel comfortable breaking out of the vanilla grid i might make these sorts of roads. 

Just to clarify, the idea I was suggesting wouldn't necessarily need to lose a car lane or require anything to be refitted, it's simply swapping the two curbs (grass outside instead of in), and bus stops would then be on the "grass" (converted to pavement at the stop itself) without changing the shape or etc. The bus would stay in-lane and not pull in/out of a stop. Still, excited to see what you make next :D