220 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • 3 minutes ago, R3V0 said:

I use Network skins to change them. For vanilla segments (segments that are in the base game), you can use Network Skins and change trees with workshop ones. NS doesnt work with custom roads nor pillars so it's not possible to modify anything (trees, lights, pillars) that come with workshop roads. 

I had a discussion with Ronyx today to make 1 road with specific style of bridge/pillar and recycle these on other segments, but he confirmed that NS doesn't recognize workshop roads, thus using it is no longer possible. 

hmmmm i think boformer was thinking about updating it somehow - or maybe someone will come out with a mod that removes all props from roads

• Original Poster
  • Query: would it bother people having jaywalkers? because of the way i need to set up nodes it enables cims to cross at any node not just the junctions. this would mean you would get cims crossing in front of traffic. I personally am not bothered by it as i know lots of people jaywalk, but I'm hesitant because i can predict all the subscribers being like "bug: cims are walking in front of traffic in the middle of the road"

you can see in this screenshot the green is cims crossing at both the junction and the node next along.

DYPGrrb.jpg

IMHO:

1. Your prediction is correct

2. If i use boulevards, I'd use for main and high density zones where high amount traffic will occur, so jaywalking will cause congestion, important amount. This would reduce the efficiency of the road ergo people wont prefer to use the boulevard and go with other networks instead. 

• Original Poster
  • Just now, R3V0 said:

IMHO:

1. Your prediction is correct

2. If i use boulevards, I'd use for main and high density zones where high amount traffic will occur, so jaywalking will cause congestion, important amount. This would reduce the efficiency of the road ergo people wont prefer to use the boulevard and go with other networks instead. 

funnily enough from what i've observed the cars haven't been slowing at all like they normally would at the junction

Just now, Bad Peanut said:

funnily enough from what i've observed the cars haven't been slowing at all like they normally would at the junction

They... run over pedestrians ? Well then ignore my remark lol

I wonder if placing pedestrian overpasses at or around these points will eliminate jaywalking like in real life

• Original Poster
  • 7 minutes ago, R3V0 said:

They... run over pedestrians ? Well then ignore my remark lol

I wonder if placing pedestrian overpasses at or around these points will eliminate jaywalking like in real life

the cars just clip through them, so i can predict the "it breaks my immersion" comment

I've never seen a road like this before, so I don't really have much feedback. :P I would suggest going for the same texture of the median and the smaller dividers - grass or woodchips works either way for me, it just strikes me a little odd they're not the same. Otherwise a very interesting road :D

16m one-way road with lightrail (tram) on the left side, 2 car lanes, one bike lane and trees on both sides. Would be so amazing if anybody would do something like this! :D

one-way-tram--2-lanes--bike.thumb.png.8194321cabca0e39fe8bfb26ab92053d.png

Im not sure how wide the bus bays have to be, so I just made them 2.8m wide. The trams could just stop wherever they like, because they got their own lane - no need for a "traffic shelter"

one-way-tram--2-lanes--bike-busstop.thumb.png.34163f023e5233431a603c94bbf827a4.png

• Original Poster
  • 33 minutes ago, Nicolas B said:

16m one-way road with lightrail (tram) on the left side, 2 car lanes, one bike lane and trees on both sides. Would be so amazing if anybody would do something like this! :D

one-way-tram--2-lanes--bike.thumb.png.8194321cabca0e39fe8bfb26ab92053d.png

Im not sure how wide the bus bays have to be, so I just made them 2.8m wide. The trams could just stop wherever they like, because they got their own lane - no need for a "traffic shelter"

one-way-tram--2-lanes--bike-busstop.thumb.png.34163f023e5233431a603c94bbf827a4.png

I don't think i'll be making something that doesn't use the vanilla track positions as it means it won't be fully visually compatible with any other road that decides to have different positions.

21 minutes ago, Bad Peanut said:

I don't think i'll be making something that doesn't use the vanilla track positions as it means it won't be fully visually compatible with any other road that decides to have different positions.

Oh okay, what if the tram would be on the right side, would that be the vanilla track position? I could just swap out the tram with the bike lane. But this creates problems for buses 🤔

• Original Poster
  • 25 minutes ago, Nicolas B said:

Oh okay, what if the tram would be on the right side, would that be the vanilla track position? I could just swap out the tram with the bike lane. But this creates problems for buses 🤔

well it needs to be the exact position, so there are 1 way tracks, 1 way on road, 2 way and 2 way wide

1 hour ago, Bad Peanut said:

well it needs to be the exact position, so there are 1 way tracks, 1 way on road, 2 way and 2 way wide

Then I would already be very happy if you could make versions of the vanilla 16m tram roads (two way + one way) where parking is replaced with trees :) (and bike lanes if possible) 

2 hours ago, Bad Peanut said:

some screens of the new asymmetric road I'm working on
    7Qv3QnH.jpg

IU13Jih.jpg

NmQIRA3.jpg

let me know what you think!

They look really awesome, and was one of the sad things about the roads, there were none of those turning lane style roads that you see.. Really cool to see them coming.. :)

Uhhh! I love that road! :D

Btw I was playing around with your tram/bike roads (love it!) and I could swap out the trees with Network Skins fine. So you prob don't have to worry much about what trees you pick for the roads. It didn't like me changing the spacing of the trees though, anything above 0 (with Network Skins) had trees placed on the crossings in intersections. I have no idea if you can do anything about it (and if it's worth the time), but I figured I'd mention it. :)

It would be nice to have a version of the vanilla 4 lane avenue that connects seamlessly with these to create turning lanes without using props, I don't know if that's possible though.

• Original Poster
  • 4 hours ago, Dexter said:

It would be nice to have a version of the vanilla 4 lane avenue that connects seamlessly with these to create turning lanes without using props, I don't know if that's possible though.

I've been trying and although it's kind of possible, visually it's not a nice curve, it just makes a rectangle cut out like the NExt roads do

1 minute ago, Bad Peanut said:

I've been trying and although it's kind of possible, visually it's not a nice curve, it just makes a rectangle cut out like the NExt roads do

I was afraid that would be the case, it's a shame nodes are so rigid as it would be nice to be able to have "through nodes" for transitions and half-junctions, but we just have to make do with props and decals for now.

You've done a brilliant job of creating these roads and I hope you continue to, a lot of people (especially on Steam) seem to keep demanding you make "x type of road with x lanes", so it must be difficult trying to decide which ones to make, but at the end of the day you are the one doing the work so it's down to whatever you feel is a priority.

• Original Poster
  • 17 minutes ago, Dexter said:

I was afraid that would be the case, it's a shame nodes are so rigid as it would be nice to be able to have "through nodes" for transitions and half-junctions, but we just have to make do with props and decals for now.

You've done a brilliant job of creating these roads and I hope you continue to, a lot of people (especially on Steam) seem to keep demanding you make "x type of road with x lanes", so it must be difficult trying to decide which ones to make, but at the end of the day you are the one doing the work so it's down to whatever you feel is a priority.

hahahah it get's a little overbearing sometimes, and then you have the literal dickheads who think they can dictate to me about how I manage requests hahaha so now I just copy and paste the same answer to requests. I do try and take into account what people generally want but i don't think i should choose any one design over another, better to have a road that fulfills most people's needs but still choose the design myself

• Original Poster
  • another screenshot of the WIP - it may not look like I've done much but I've sorted out a lot of gameplay finicky bits (ie meshes for bus stops showing up in the right circumstances and getting props to appear properly in both RHD and LHD which usually is easy as it's just mirrored but with asymmetric nothing is symmetrical) 

also added extra turning lane arrows :)
    El6gC6K.jpg

40 minutes ago, Bad Peanut said:

cool! let me know when you upload it to the steam workshop!

No offense Bad Peanut, but maybe you should edit the first post of the thread to clarify you're no longer taking suggestions? It still says you are so that might be confusing some people.

• Original Poster
  • 1 minute ago, Giveaway412 said:

No offense Bad Peanut, but maybe you should edit the first post of the thread to clarify you're no longer taking suggestions? It still says you are so that might be confusing some people.

you're right! I swear i had but it mustn't have saved ;)

• Original Poster
  • 3 minutes ago, Giveaway412 said:

Although I think this poster didn't bother reading that post anyway because they didn't bother with any of the instructions so I guess I'll keep it and people can still post their ideas, I just won't answer them individually (but will still see them and observe) BUT they really need to show they understand the widths etc of the game

• Original Poster
  • 3 hours ago, pniedzwiedzinski19 said:

This is my idea of pedestrian path with one-way tram track https://streetmix.net/-/604696pedastrian-path-with-bicycle-track-and-one-way-tra.thumb.png.0f47b529d9b168254e0c85eca9ba4350.png

so in response: read the first post, although I am not  taking actual requests I am still interested in ideas, just make sure you use the right widths for lanes and the overall road first :) thanks xx