220 posts in this topic Last Reply

I would really like to see more bikelanes
They're all exactly used like this in reallife in atleast The Netherlands.
Bicycle friendliness  and protection of vulnerable road users (bicyclists and pedestrians) is key in these configurations. Kinda fits the whole Green Cities theme.

image.thumb.png.a4f3dd99986239c5495d4187d1dead93.png1. /\ Wide street with parking, bicycle lanes and side decoration (aka protection)
The first one has walking space and bicycle space, protected by both a treeline and parking spaces. This is how bicyclist are the safest from cars and is fairly common in the netherlands. If the space is avaiable, this one is preferred. 

image.png.7c8c38ae3a55433866f46c07a10ff620.png

1.5 /\ Wide street with parking, , bicycle lanes and side + middle decoration (aka protection)
This one is the same as one, but with a middle decorative and protective lane. 

image.png.042aaab376170adadb117ce67abd23cb.png

2. /\ Wide street with parking and bicycle lanes.
The second one is the same, except for trees. When space is scarce.

image.png.96a66389c8b3aae621935064e41d5fb6.png

3. /\ Wide street with parking and 2-directional bicyclepath on one side.
Third one has a bicyclepath that goes both way on one side. Also common if the destination for bicyclist is most of the time on this side of the road, with nothing (forest, farmland) on the other side. https://www.verkeer-oefenen.nl/assets/images/verkeer_oefenen/groep_7/Fietsers_fietspad_tweerichtingen.jpg

image.png.83b1442e133e406729704bd584c52a6f.png

4. /\ Small city street with side decoration 
Fourth one has no parking spots, but cyclists and people are protected by either trees or a bush. This one is 16m, so this one would be reaaaally perfect.

image.png.58b094f7feef6d11057ef4f7c2d10b6c.png

5. /\ Small city street with side decoration and 2-directional bicycle path on on side.
Fifth one is the same as above, also 16m, but with the bike paths on one side.

image.png.29e022022d633e67dbd013989b23ad58.png

6. /\ Bicycle Boulevard
Sixth one is used on quiet roads and when space is scarce. Its basically a wide bike path with 'guest' cars for people living next to these streets. Low maximum speed (<30) and bicyclists are basically the boss on these roads. 
http://www.anteagroup.be/sites/default/files/fietsstraat_0.jpg
Notice how the car has to stay behind the bicyclists and do not have the right to honk to take over or anything. Its important that the road is actually different from a regular carlane, either a red/green color, smaller or many bumps/markings.

I know not all of them either either 16 or 32 wide but these would be great.
Bush or treelines between parking or carlanes are preferred, so cars won't accidently hit bikes and drivers won't smash their door open into bicyclists, if space is scarce they can do without however.
Roads under 50 km/h, bikes go on street, roads above 50 km/h bikes have a seperated bikelane. Cycling on sidewalks is baaaad. (except for the deep countryside maybe)

I would love to make them myself, I don't have any clue how to so I hope modders like you can make roads like these. If you could use assistence I would also happily help you. I feels kinda stupid that I need to ask others to make what I want.
If you want I could post more variations of these roads that are used in reallife, but I felt like this should give the right idea.
Every sidewalk that is 2.1 wide, is supposed to be 2 wide.

Nr. 1 and 4 are great and I would really like to see them in my city.

• Original Poster
  • 5 hours ago, reasonably1 said:

Hi! Amazing work! Do you think it's possible to make a super simple tiny (8m) road like the one shown here? It's a low-traffic local road that pedestrians can walk on and cars drive in both directions. I'd imagine it needs lanes for Ped / Drive Forward / Drive Backward / Ped, but without any actual curb, just all put next to each other on asphalt, with the asphalt texture reaching to the edge. These kind of roads are super common in Asia (here, South Korea, but I've also seen them in Japan). With or without parking, I don't mind. If it's easier, one-way works too.

Sorry that I couldn't make this in StreetMix, but the point is that it has no curb (but zoneable and pedestrians can walk on them). Link to this street view.

59e8cb8010817_ScreenShot2017-10-20at00_55_48.thumb.png.2693fa430973a742bf53b767018491cb.png

There is a minimum width for zoneable roads of 2 cells. Use NExt roads if you need less than that

I have my own proposals based on road designs in Europe and North America. 

First of all the 4 lane one way + bus lane road. I based this on an actual road design from Athens, Greece, but it has 4 lanes instead of 5. I believe this would be very versatile for people who want to keep their one way roads but want to have bus stops on both sides, or people who want express buses. 

4-lane-onway--busway.thumb.png.32d51af9e34dd6a7cbd113e918cc4145.png

Next we have a 5 lane one way road. Even though it is not very common even in very large cities it does exist in some places like in New York. This one will have the most capacity other than a highway. 

5-lane-oneway.thumb.png.e9471a397022f16a9bd51c30a4b17a6c.png

Now we have a six lane road with two additional internal turn lanes. This is actually quite common in places where large avenues intersect. 

6-lane-road-with-2-turn-lanes.thumb.png.a2e3f5ca1d992ad05aad05e0d14f34ca.png

This is a six road with a central turn lane for both directions. Again, this is relatively common, especially in North America.

6-lane-road-with-central-turn-lane.thumb.png.ae50810a130089e75448cf4ccca8cda4.png

Finally, we have a 4 lane road with a bicycle lane in each direction. This is also relatively common.

4-lane-road-with-bike-lanes.thumb.png.37a20f12a74b9108650bcffeb8888393.png

• Original Poster
  • 3 hours ago, Giveaway412 said:

Do you think it'd be possible for you to recreate the 16-lane monster road created in the Road Modding dev diary? I'd like to have it just for novelty purposes.

(also the sooner somebody figures out how to create toll booths, the better)

I don't believe in hell so I won't build a road to it ;)

52 minutes ago, Remcodd said:

I would really like to see more bikelanes
    They're all exactly used like this in reallife in atleast The Netherlands.
    Bicycle friendliness  and protection of vulnerable road users (bicyclists and pedestrians) is key in these configurations. Kinda fits the whole Green Cities theme.

image.thumb.png.a4f3dd99986239c5495d4187d1dead93.png1. /\ Wide street with parking, bicycle lanes and side decoration (aka protection)
    The first one has walking space and bicycle space, protected by both a treeline and parking spaces. This is how bicyclist are the safest from cars and is fairly common in the netherlands. If the space is avaiable, this one is preferred. 

image.png.7c8c38ae3a55433866f46c07a10ff620.png

1.5 /\ Wide street with parking, , bicycle lanes and side + middle decoration (aka protection)
    This one is the same as one, but with a middle decorative and protective lane. 

image.png.042aaab376170adadb117ce67abd23cb.png

2. /\ Wide street with parking and bicycle lanes.
    The second one is the same, except for trees. When space is scarce.

image.png.96a66389c8b3aae621935064e41d5fb6.png

3. /\ Wide street with parking and 2-directional bicyclepath on one side.
    Third one has a bicyclepath that goes both way on one side. Also common if the destination for bicyclist is most of the time on this side of the road, with nothing (forest, farmland) on the other side. https://www.verkeer-oefenen.nl/assets/images/verkeer_oefenen/groep_7/Fietsers_fietspad_tweerichtingen.jpg

image.png.83b1442e133e406729704bd584c52a6f.png

4. /\ Small city street with side decoration 
    Fourth one has no parking spots, but cyclists and people are protected by either trees or a bush. This one is 16m, so this one would be reaaaally perfect.

image.png.58b094f7feef6d11057ef4f7c2d10b6c.png

5. /\ Small city street with side decoration and 2-directional bicycle path on on side.
    Fifth one is the same as above, also 16m, but with the bike paths on one side.

image.png.29e022022d633e67dbd013989b23ad58.png

6. /\ Bicycle Boulevard
    Sixth one is used on quiet roads and when space is scarce. Its basically a wide bike path with 'guest' cars for people living next to these streets. Low maximum speed (<30) and bicyclists are basically the boss on these roads. 
    http://www.anteagroup.be/sites/default/files/fietsstraat_0.jpg
    Notice how the car has to stay behind the bicyclists and do not have the right to honk to take over or anything. Its important that the road is actually different from a regular carlane, either a red/green color, smaller or many bumps/markings.

I know not all of them either either 16 or 32 wide but these would be great.
    Bush or treelines between parking or carlanes are preferred, so cars won't accidently hit bikes and drivers won't smash their door open into bicyclists, if space is scarce they can do without however.
    Roads under 50 km/h, bikes go on street, roads above 50 km/h bikes have a seperated bikelane. Cycling on sidewalks is baaaad. (except for the deep countryside maybe)

I would love to make them myself, I don't have any clue how to so I hope modders like you can make roads like these. If you could use assistence I would also happily help you. I feels kinda stupid that I need to ask others to make what I want.
    If you want I could post more variations of these roads that are used in reallife, but I felt like this should give the right idea.
    Every sidewalk that is 2.1 wide, is supposed to be 2 wide.

Nr. 1 and 4 are great and I would really like to see them in my city.

Good concepts but PLEASE if you want me to bother you need to make sure they fit properly and have the correct lane widths - check out the first post in this thread for instructions. If you can't show me them as working viable concepts then i won't waste my time trying to figure it out when I can just make someone's road who has put that effort into it. Make an effort please, because it's such a small simple thing to do.

10 minutes ago, FilipposRoads said:

I have my own proposals based on road designs in Europe and North America. 

First of all the 4 lane one way + bus lane road. I based this on an actual road design from Athens, Greece, but it has 4 lanes instead of 5. I believe this would be very versatile for people who want to keep their one way roads but want to have bus stops on both sides, or people who want express buses. 

4-lane-onway--busway.thumb.png.32d51af9e34dd6a7cbd113e918cc4145.png

Next we have a 5 lane one way road. Even though it is not very common even in very large cities it does exist in some places like in New York. This one will have the most capacity other than a highway. 

5-lane-oneway.thumb.png.e9471a397022f16a9bd51c30a4b17a6c.png

Now we have a six lane road with two additional internal turn lanes. This is actually quite common in places where large avenues intersect. 

6-lane-road-with-2-turn-lanes.thumb.png.a2e3f5ca1d992ad05aad05e0d14f34ca.png

This is a six road with a central turn lane for both directions. Again, this is relatively common, especially in North America.

6-lane-road-with-central-turn-lane.thumb.png.ae50810a130089e75448cf4ccca8cda4.png

Finally, we have a 4 lane road with a bicycle lane in each direction. This is also relatively common.

4-lane-road-with-bike-lanes.thumb.png.37a20f12a74b9108650bcffeb8888393.png

Again interesting concepts but you MUST submit any suggestions as outlined in the first post of this thread otherwise you will post things that just won't work in game and be a waste of time, space and internet data..

I did follow the suggestions. The only thing that perhaps I did not follow is the pavement thingy or else the lanes would not fit or there was too much empty space. 

4 minutes ago, Bad Peanut said:

I don't believe in hell so I won't build a road to it ;)

Good concepts but PLEASE if you want me to bother you need to make sure they fit properly and have the correct lane widths - check out the first post in this thread for instructions. If you can't show me them as working viable concepts then i won't waste my time trying to figure it out when I can just make someone's road who has put that effort into it. Make an effort please, because it's such a small simple thing to do.

Again interesting concepts but you MUST submit any suggestions as outlined in the first post of this thread otherwise you will post things that just won't work in game and be a waste of time, space and internet data..

I thought the 16 or 32 width was optional, Ill try and see wich ones ar epossible in that shape. 16 is often too small and 32 too large.

How large do the bicycle paths have to be? Also 3m wide? Theyre not specified in the description and since they are not as large...

Just now, Remcodd said:

How large do the bicycle paths have to be? Also 3m wide? Theyre not specified in the description and since they are not as large..

No less than 2m at a minimum

Try number 2 with either 16 or 32 width. Since 16 is often too small and 32 waaay too wide for normal 2 carlane roads with some extras, these are the 4 (5) i could think of, used in reallife.

1. \/ Protected bike paths, no parking, 16m
    Bicyclists are protected by a piece of concrete between road and bikepath. It isn't an actual sidewalk (so no 2m), just concrete/grass with bushes or trees.
    image.png.9b7084e8e8a40d134cd5f1e0b5dbc215.png

1.5 \/ City street, 2-directional bike path on one side. 

Same as the one above, except for the two bike paths merged into one, if no space is avaiable on the left side or all destinations are on the right side. In reallife the one above is prefered (safer).  Again, sidewalk with tree is not an actual sidewalk but more a protection and decoraton layer, (so <2m)

image.png.4ac41c1ee498ec6784293dddfb15b436.png

2. \/ Bicycle boulevard 16m

Basically wide bike path that allows cars for surrounding houses. Again, sidewalk with tree is not an actual sidewalk but more a protection and decoraton layer, (so <2m)

image.png.e0e3b8100c1b8c4bcbf55ddff6d58030.png

3. \/ Wide street with 2-directional bikelanes on both sides, parking. 32m
    This road is for a large amount of traffic, both bikes and cars. The trees protect against ramming into each other head on and parked cars opening their doors into upcoming bicyclists.
    Again, sidewalk with tree is not an actual sidewalk but more a protection and decoraton layer, (so <2m)

image.thumb.png.3051ca373e8d7924aebb5d499f36ea9f.png

4. \/ Wide street with seperated tram 32m

Same as nr. 3 but with trams instead of a double carlane. Tram lanes could also be used by busses (and in some cases taxis, other mod) if wanted)
    Again, sidewalk with tree is not an actual sidewalk but more a protection and decoraton layer, (so <2m)

image.thumb.png.0fbe9c2ab7899b7574d036a313365d7e.png

I think the 'sidewalk with tree' give a better a visual idea of what i mean, they are NOT ment as a sidewalk however but just a piece of concrete or grass. So thats why they are not 2m atleast. You could keep those patches empty or just grass, and then trees can be placed manually or by people themselves in the editor, whatever you think works best.

I hope these work for you and I would really like to see them or atleast something like it ingame.

• Original Poster
  • 24 minutes ago, FilipposRoads said:

I did follow the suggestions. The only thing that perhaps I did not follow is the pavement thingy or else the lanes would not fit or there was too much empty space. 

sooooo you did follow the suggestions but you didn't follow them?
    also suggestions sounds like you have a choice, think of them more as instructions because If you don't follow them then the end result won't be what you desired :P

I found out later that these exist image.png.78b55461d4c45c488392e70a954f15a3.png

So i ment these instead of the "sidewalk with trees" you see in my config. Its exactly the same but now its clear it isnt a sidewalk

Sorry about my tiny road idea, I must have missed that part of the instructions.

I made one road similar to something posted here before, but hopefully with proper widths.

https://streetmix.net/-/588591

medium-road-with-segregated-sidewalks-and-bike-lan.thumb.png.433115bfe886ec6e221d1936891c747c.png

And how about some more tram-only roads? The vanilla ones are pretty ugly imo. Put the trams on green, add some trees and proper sidewalks. You get the idea.

https://streetmix.net/-/588598

small-tram-only-road-with-median-trees.thumb.png.d91073e4fa2eca226b2a21bc9e2453ec.png

Thank you again for doing this, much appreciated!

I don‘t know if this is the right place to ask, but anyway… I tried the road editor yesterday, but for some reason I only got a tab for the "Basic" variant. I tried several vanilla roads like the highway ramp, always with the same result. The tabs for "Elevated", "Bridge" etc. were missing.

Any idea? I‘m playing on macOS by the way, and my game is heavily modded.

40 minutes ago, Stanil said:

Any idea? I‘m playing on macOS by the way, and my game is heavily modded.

When I do something in the editor, I always use the -noWorkshop startup parameter. Like you say, mods not only influence the game, but also the editor. If you ever need some mods that help with asset creation, put them in the Local folder of the game (in AppData).

Other than that I have no idea how MaxOS works, this is just what I do on Windows.

I'd like to see a Medium Road with 4 lanes going in the same direction (somewhere in the middle between the original 2 and 6 lanes one-way), with some trees or grass on the broad sidewalks. That way you can keep the 32m space and easily upgrade to the 6 lanes one-way when traffic increases :)

medium-road-4-lanes-one-way--trees.thumb.png.c74579448488bb12060fdd7e2523237e.png

19 minutes ago, Leo_Chan said:

Could you make a copy of your 6 Lane Road with Dedicated Tram but replace Tram with Bus?

That doesn't really work. The buses will drive through the curbs unless you restrict them from doing that by using TM:PE.

14 minutes ago, wasmic said:

That doesn't really work. The buses will drive through the curbs unless you restrict them from doing that by using TM:PE.

Oh, that's too bad.

On 19.10.2017 at 11:23 PM, Bad Peanut said:

There is a minimum width for zoneable roads of 2 cells. Use NExt roads if you need less than that

I'm sure we can mod this quite easily.

Not 100% sure on the widths. It looks like when you add bike lanes to a road it straight replaces parking so went with 2m. The center median on the vanilla tram road was my goal, but it's just a guess. If it's 6 instead of 4 space could be poached from the sidewalks.

unnamed-st.png

• Original Poster
  • 12 hours ago, boformer said:

I'm sure we can mod this quite easily.

I would only use it if it was packaged with the road - meaning you wouldn't need a mod to load the road, only to create it

• Original Poster
  • 14 hours ago, Leo_Chan said:

Could you make a copy of your 6 Lane Road with Dedicated Tram but replace Tram with Bus?

well cars still technically use bus lanes if they need to turn off with that lane - so they would go through the median strip..

• Original Poster
  • 7 hours ago, 2centhammer said:

Not 100% sure on the widths. It looks like when you add bike lanes to a road it straight replaces parking so went with 2m. The center median on the vanilla tram road was my goal, but it's just a guess. If it's 6 instead of 4 space could be poached from the sidewalks.

unnamed-st.png

median strip between tram lanes on the snowfall medium tram road is 3.2m wide FYI

1 hour ago, Bad Peanut said:

I would only use it if it was packaged with the road - meaning you wouldn't need a mod to load the road, only to create it

Not sure if that would work. Maybe the road could be used without the mod, but the zone blocks would be 4m away from the road.

Have one type of street here in Australia  in some housing estates there are roads where only one side has a sidewalk and streetlights on that side I think.. :)   The interesting thing about this road type is the sidewalk and lights will change sides depending where it is oriented but usually after a roundabout..  The other thing is that the properties on the non sidewalk side will butt up against the road gutter the pic gives a rough idea..

Onesided Sidewalk.png

• Original Poster
  • 9 minutes ago, ghosty20 said:

Have one type of street here in Australia  in some housing estates there are roads where only one side has a sidewalk and streetlights on that side I think.. :)   The interesting thing about this road type is the sidewalk and lights will change sides depending where it is oriented but usually after a roundabout..  The other thing is that the properties on the non sidewalk side will butt up against the road gutter the pic gives a rough idea..

Onesided Sidewalk.png

where in australia is that terrible road existing. It makes legit no sense hahaha

9 hours ago, Bad Peanut said:

where in australia is that terrible road existing. It makes legit no sense hahaha

Quite a few of the housing estates have them, they put the sidewalk on only one side, and the side that does not have sidewalk the property goes right to the road, heck even where I live the road has no sidewalk at all but does have housing.. Think of the dirt roads in game but the size of the two lane roads and asphalt, in Australia not all of our residential roads have sidewalk..

This image is a good example of what we have here, second image has no sidewalk at all..

EstateAustralia.jpg

OIC_carine_monyash_road_residential.jpg

17 minutes ago, Turjan said:

Would a pure fast tram track in a gravel bed technically also be a road in game terms?

According to the Wiki, yes:

"All nets will be referred to as roads here."

Technically they are networks, of which Elevated and Tunnel etc. are Prefabs.