5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

I replaced some low density zones for medium density and only one building has developed. I have high demand for residential but not enough space to zone more. They all have water, and pipes under them. What I'm doing wrong?

Simcity.png

SImcity2.png

Is this the first city of your region? If so, at only 6k population, you won't have sufficient sims to support much in the way of mid-high rise residential buildings. That's because the growth stages used to build bigger/taller domiciles conform to a set ratio. I.e., to have demand for higher stages, there are minimum requirements for the number of lower stage buildings that must exist first. As such you may find you need a few thousand more sims before Med Wealth grows. Similarly, it's hard to get High-wealth before a 12-15k region population is present.

So if space is such an issue that you can't accommodate more low-wealth buildings, you might want to consider expanding to a neighbouring tile. Otherwise with patience, the growth stages will increase, provided the demands are there, which will slowly expand your residential population by upgrading to higher occupancy housing. But the later option could take a very long time waiting, it would be much better to add new zones instead.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks man, its been working well for me so far, but I have seen videos of people who start a new city in an empty region with medium density zones and it builds them almost right away. How do they do that? I assume it works better when there is already low density zones in the city, but I'm not sure.

Here's a video where I saw this happen. You can see them developing around 6:25 with only 1,000 population. Is he using mods or is there something I am missing.

Absolutely there is something going on that allows what you see to happen. Note how just before the game unpaused, the user creates neighbour connections and the demand bars immediately change? That's because all the demand needed to sustain this city is in a neighbouring one already built. This is simply not a realistic way of getting the game started from scratch, not to mention following such a strategy is beset with the potential for problems.

At it's core SC4 likes to be played slowly, with small changes at a time, which you can then react to and evolve your city. When huge changes take place in one go, it can place strain on all sorts of parts of the simulator and lead to a non-functioning city. You can speed things up if you really understand what you are doing, but I don't really get where the fun is in that personally. My advice, start with the official tutorial which is part of the game. A couple hours with those will really get you going and is well worth your time. Thereafter, take a look here for a great tutorial on region play that expands on the in-game ones. Follow those and not only should you be able to get a successful region going, but you'll understand a lot more about how the game works in the process.

Medium density also requires proximity to parks (even R$), so after you've followed rsc204's advice you should also place some parks around the areas where you want midrise apartments. I can see you don't have any in the neighborhood you've shown in this thread.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By AmiPolizeiFunk
        If there isn't, we need one!

• By simmaster07
        This mod may not be compatible with the "All 3 CityHalls Modd Reward fix". This plugin is intended to supersede that file's behavior.
        This is a DLL for SimCity 4 that makes the City Hall reward upgradeable. Instead of implementing the three City Hall stages as separate reward lots, this mod implements Maxis' originally intended behavior of actually replacing the City Hall lot as new stages are unlocked. It also prompts the user with advisor messages asking if they want to upgrade the reward, just like the airport upgrade behavior.
        This mod is part of my effort to deconstruct the internal game interfaces. The development thread can be found at this link. Source code is over here.
        Behavior
        The user is prompted monthly to upgrade to stage 2 when the city's population reaches 45,000, and to upgrade to stage 3 at 95,000. The mod also adds a cheat code, "UpgradeCityHall," that forces the upgrade prompt to appear regardless of population.
        Installation
        Unzip to your plugins folder.
        On Windows and Mac versions other than the App Store, this is in Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins. On the Mac App Store version, this is in ~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.simcity4.appstore/Data/Documents/SimCity 4/Plugins. Create these directories if they do not exist yet.
        Mac users
        You must install SC4MacInjector before using this mod or else nothing will happen.
        Compatibility
        Tested and working on 1.1.641.0 (Steam/GOG/Origin) on Windows and the Steam version of SC4 for Mac. Also works in combination with SC4Fix and the Extra Cheats DLL. Untested but should work with any version of SimCity 4 Deluxe or SimCity 4 w/ Rush Hour.
      • By NAM Team
        The NAM Team is pleased to announce the official release of the 36th edition of the Network Addon Mod, NAM 36.  This release was ten months in the making, and marks the debut of a few long-awaited features.

New features in NAM Version 36 - 13 September 2017
        New FLEX Turn Lanes (FTL) feature added, providing a more intuitive and flexible alternative to the old Turn Lane Extension Pieces (TuLEPs, now deprecated). Draggable Elevated RealRailway (RRW) viaducts added at L1 (7.5 meter) and L2 (15 meter) heights. One-Way Road Signalized Intersection and Turn Arrow Project (SITAP) expanded to cover intersections with FLEX Turn Lanes and Road-based multi-tile NWM networks. Street Addon Mod (SAM) Set 11 - IndustrieSAM by mgb204 added, providing a new, industrial-style Street texture. Draggable Wide-Radius Curve functionality added to all applicable Street Addon Mod (SAM) override networks. RealRailway (RRW) FlexTrack functionality expanded to cover additional setups. R5 radius Multi-Radius Curves (MRCs) added to the Road network. Diagonal FLEX On-Slope Transitions added to the RHW, supporting 1 and 2-level transitions for the RHW-2, RHW-4, and MIS networks. R4 and R5 radii Multi-Radius Curves (MRCs) added to the RealHighway (RHW) system, with support for the L0 RHW-2, L0 RHW-4, and L0 RHW-6S netwoks.  Overlap
        ability also added to the ground-level R2 curves for the RHW, allowing for smoother loop ramps. Diagonal MIS Connection support added to the One-Way Road Roundabouts. Texture glitch fixed with the Euro version of the L1-L4 RHW-6S Type A2 FLEXRamps/DRIs. Minor pathing fix to improve zone access on the TLA-7 network in the Network Widening Mod (NWM). The compression scheme on the NAM Installer has been changed, making it such that the external 7-Zip SFX layer surrounding it is no longer needed. New edition of the NAM documentation started, marking a return to the HTML format used prior to the NAM 31.x releases of 2013.  Please note that due to the incredible scope of the mod, and the amount of time to adequately document features, that some sections may remain in an incomplete state.
        The Windows version of the mod is available here on the STEX (and is hosted directly on the site once again, thanks to the benevolent @Dirktator):
        NAM 36 for Windows [STEX]

The Windows version will be mirrored at SC4 Devotion and ModDB.

The Mac version will only be available at ModDB, due to its filesize (686MB).

For more details on the release, including information on compatibility and installation, see the Read First document included in the package, which is also attached below.

Hope you enjoy the latest update to this long running mod (over 13 years and counting!) and thank you for your continued support.

-The NAM Team
        read-first-nam36.zip
      • By MisterBlueStar4
        Hello,so I've been looking for assets to start up a old city journal I've abandoned months ago.I need some help figuring out what assets could fit well with a Californian city.
      • By Prity83
        Hey Guys,
        can someone help me,  just installed everything fresh and added these plugins, now its showing some coloured fields..

thats the plugins installed:

Any help is beign thanked very much.
        Also my 2nd problem. if someone can give me with hints or links.
        I am looking for lots of Japan related plugins or even perhaps an batch or an collection of it.
        Also an savegame would help me, would like to built an sector of Tokyo.
        Cheers, Prity