Ronyx69

NOTICE: Assets saved on PRE 1.8 fail to load when published/updated on POST 1.8

17 posts in this topic Last Reply

Think twice before uploading an asset that was saved before the 1.8 update, it seems that it fails to load. Also be careful when updating an older prop pack, you will likely need to resave all the assets in the pack.

Speculation - the game considers a newly published/updated asset as the new file format, while the actual files are the old format, so they fail to load completely.

This requires loading the asset and resaving it. (Not reimporting, just resaving)

I updated the theme decals mod yesterday, and all the decals failed to load, I had to resave all of them, thankfully I could update the mod.
BUT this happened to Jerenable and Armesto - they published assets that were saved before 1.8, so they failed to load, but what's even worse the asset was so broken it showed the incorrect picture in the content manager, and the asset couldn't be updated either, as the content folder couldn't be opened. So they had to republish it as a new item.

I kinda got the same issue: wrong pic in the content manager and it didn't redirect to the Workshop item but fortunately I had added a new asset in the pack, which was also in the content manager. That one was fine and I could fix the pack.

14 minutes ago, Lost_Gecko said:

I kinda got the same issue: wrong pic in the content manager and it didn't redirect to the Workshop item but fortunately I had added a new asset in the pack, which was also in the content manager. That one was fine and I could fix the pack.

the 'new' file I updated the pack with was saved before the update :-( 

21 hours ago, kingleno said:

I resaved all of them, but in the content manager, all thumbnails are wrong and I can't click on the folder to update the pack for any of the items.

I noticed that these failed to load. That sucks for content creators.

21 hours ago, Lost_Gecko said:

I still see the issue with your 12 Place Vendome update.

3 hours ago, Turjan said:

I still see the issue with your 12 Place Vendome update.

Thanks for letting me know, so apparently only resaving the assets wouldn't work... I guess I'll have to create them again...

• Original Poster
  • A little update from thale, creator of the loading screen mod:

thale5

I just confirmed the game bug we discussed below. Just like assumed, it is a bug in asset uploading that leads to a version mismatch between the asset header and its body.
    It is a nasty bug. Even looking at the asset in Content Manager was toxic for the game.

GG CO and GL to anybody who tries to get this info to CO to get it fixed.

The issue has been brought to our attention and is being fixed. Meanwhile make sure to re-save any old assets before uploading/updating them in Workshop, even if only updating the icon. If your Workshop asset contains multiple files remember to re-save them all. There currently doesn't seem to be any easy way to fix a Workshop item if a pre-Concerts asset has already been uploaded. We're very sorry for the inconvenience.

We heard back from CO and a fix is in the works.

A quote from co_visa

If you have already uploaded/updated an asset that was saved before Concerts and wish to fix it immediately, here is one way to do it manually:
    1. Find the .crp file of your Workshop asset in Steam/steamapps/workshop/content/255710/[your workshop id]/. The id can be found in the Workshop page of your asset, in the URL (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=[your workshop id]])
    2. open the .crp file in a hex editor (for example HxD)
    3. Change the 5th byte from 6 to 5 (in HxD that's on the first line, column 04). After this you can open the file in Cities: Skylines again.
    4. Launch Cities: Skylines, load the Workshop asset in asset editor and save.
    5. Find the saved asset in content manager and update to workshop.

Note: doing the 3rd step to an uncorrupted asset will corrupt it

Wow this is a nasty one and many content creators are getting hit by it and they have NO IDEA what is happening.

It's a bit comforting to know that CO is aware of it, but TBH they should make some kind of effort to make the community of modders more aware that something is amiss!

Do you guys think this issue will be fixed with Green Cities?