PaulJChris

PJC Cities XXL to Cities: Skylines asset conversions

119 posts in this topic Last Reply

I usually turn saturation and lightness down by 50% in photoshop, but you might have to try some different things to get the right result in game. The red could also be color variations on whatever building or prop you used as template. If you set all color variations to white that will go away in game (props don't update in the editor).

• Original Poster
  • good result there and very nice picture , I see what you mean about being too dark, perhaps I went a bit too far on that model , I will bear this in mind for future although I think that is just a touch light but its personal taste at the end of the day.

On 30/08/2017 at 11:23 PM, Darf said:

Here's some screenshots of colorcorrections I did on the diffuse of your Sherry Netherlands model:

Before

R5ThEEr.jpg

After

qG3kFZc.jpg

I think I upped gamma to 1.5, than did some sharpening and desaturated by -40. Also darkened windows diffuse by quite a bit.

Any chance you can release this version if that's okay with you @PaulJChris as I prefer the light one?

As for the bridge, that looks stunning and the colour is on point!

• Original Poster
  • I wont release another version  to the workshop with just a slightly lighter texture but I am happy to upload my original source diffuse map from the CXL model  here and you can then adjust it to your hearts content in PS or similar.   Then unpack the asset, replace the diffuse map remembering to keep the file name the same as the original , then resave a local copy of the asset for your personal use just as Darf has done.  Alternatively I am  ok with Darf sharing his adapted diffuse version with you if he is happy to do so.

The two traditional stone  bridges featured look fantastic- exactly what the game has been crying out for since launch. These will add so much character to European cities- awesome work! Narrower 2 lane stone bridges would also be welcomed. Such impressive work

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for your  positive comment. With regard to the width of the bridges  , the whole point  is that they are all made as procedural objects so the width can be adjusted by the player dynamically  while in game to take any type of road or rail  road  in the game from a pedestrian path up to a highway.  This adds a lot of versatility to the models at the expense of being a little bit more fiddly to place as the procedural objects mod interface takes a little bit of practise to get used to.

11 hours ago, PaulJChris said:

Thanks for your  positive comment. With regard to the width of the bridges  , the whole point  is that they are all made as procedural objects so the width can be adjusted by the player dynamically  while in game to take any type of road or rail  road  in the game from a pedestrian path up to a highway.  This adds a lot of versatility to the models at the expense of being a little bit more fiddly to place as the procedural objects mod interface takes a little bit of practise to get used to.

With the upcoming network modding that was announced, you might be able to convert your bridge into a real network.

On 9/1/2017 at 9:06 AM, PaulJChris said:

I wont release another version  to the workshop with just a slightly lighter texture but I am happy to upload my original source diffuse map from the CXL model  here and you can then adjust it to your hearts content in PS or similar.   Then unpack the asset, replace the diffuse map remembering to keep the file name the same as the original , then resave a local copy of the asset for your personal use just as Darf has done.  Alternatively I am  ok with Darf sharing his adapted diffuse version with you if he is happy to do so.

Maybe just update the building instead of uploading a new asset? Some of us are not really good at modding, and what sounds easy for the experts.. well for us mortals is horrible :???:

Now, the bridges.. wow! Those look fantastic, specially when you can have the different models next to each other. Would be really cool to actually build a city using all of them and creating somewhat of a back story for each one.. random thought :D

• Original Poster
  • Original Poster
  • On 7/20/2017 at 11:34 PM, BoraBora said:

Your XXL models are beautiful, indeed. I'm into french provincial cities/towns/villages so I'd love to see your Castle Wall/Esplanade Road pack converted for CS.

Next up the medieval city walls loosely  based on those at Avignon in France  as requested earlier in the thread. First import turned out not so bad.  4 procedural props in this set , wall section, gate house, square tower, round tower all  designed to be placed together for maximum flexibility of layout.  It actually looks better than it does in Cities XL due to the better lighting system in Skylines.

fUukBK0.jpg

sxBoyyz.jpg

7jN3TEg.jpg

WOW WOW & WOW! The stone railway viaduct is a common sight here in the UK. I didn't notice the bridges were "procedural" when I posted my original message- another new trick to master! Again thanks for this series they really are awesome

• Original Poster
  • The old city walls  set are now  uploaded to the workshop ( 6 asset pack ) .  The procedural asset mod really allows these to work, they didn't really take off in CXL because of problems with placement, I hope they fare better in Skylines world.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1128258543

XCixhlJ.png

• Original Poster
  • Decided to take a break from CXL importing and make something  new for a change . I wanted a golf course so I downloaded the existing one from the workshop which is very good indeed but weighs in at 45MB.   This prototype procedural golf hole can be made in to any shape , lengthened , shortened , curved , whatever shape hole you want basically and comes in a 600k. Still need to refine the textures but this is a working prototype so good progress so far.

3YlUKaQ.jpg

XoAFvKF.jpg

• Original Poster
  • Pack I think is done. In the end I made a par 3 , par 4 and par 5 straight hole template and 2 procedural bunkers (5 models in all but still very light at 4MB total download.  This is my first attempt at a realistic par (long  hole) 460m par 5 and it turned out ok I think.  The best part of this set apart from it lightness of resource is the fact that it can handle changes in elevation which makes for more realistic layouts iMHO having played a bit of golf in my younger days.  This hole took about 20 mins to make starting from a dead straight procedural asset template.  Things like green shape and tee box size and position can also be adjusted while in the game.  The bunkers are dropped in over the top , they can also have their shape and size altered.

vJsKE0X.jpg

QLxHl7D.jpg

hQ2fqjX.jpg

• Original Poster
  • I am having fun trying to build a full golf course with my newly published creator but I missed my driving range from CXL because it was modelled at 1-1 scale as opposed to the scaled back vanilla range  so with  some fiddling about with sub buildings I managed to bring  it into skylines.  Can be useful as part of a golf course complex as in these screen shots but I also thought it might be useful  as a standalone leisure facility in a more urban setting.

rJBdh2O.jpg

iieF2Gn.jpg

sG6UmEL.jpg

h6QDfI2.jpg

• Original Poster
  • Was trying to detail my golf course with hole number boards but did not want to make 18 copies of the same thing just with a different number so I quickly made this pack of procedural numbers and letters to enable  procedural numeric or alphabetic detailing.  Uploaded to the workshop just in case anyone else can make some use of them.  They can  potentially be used in  a wide variety of situations (custom road and runway markings, platform numbers,  helicopter pads , Hollywood type hillside signs etc, etc) if you are into adding extra details and have a bit of patience.  The linear letters can also be stretched out infinitely as an alternative to the Prop Line tool where for example one stretched out letter "I" could replace numerous individual line decal assets to save performance.   Procedural objects are ignored by the game engine in terms of counting towards the total count which is quite handy if you are close to the limit.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1139717359

WvjkVfV.png