PaulJChris

PJC Cities XXL to Cities: Skylines asset conversions

119 posts in this topic Last Reply

RICO assets don't grow to any other level, so RICO buildings will have same wealth citizens all the time even if land value skyrockets. However there are cases when highly educated residents live in L1 or L2 houses.

• Original Poster
  • Can't please all of the people all of the time. I chose L3 because of the land value considerations of the game mechanics as mentioned above , but at the end of the day the beauty of RICO is that you can change them to whatever you desire on your local copy by saving  local settings from within the RICO settings panel.

My next project is going to be a large high span concrete arched  highway bridge  which I made for Cities XL and which and am going to attempt to convert to a procedural asset for Cities Skylines using the newly released procedural assets  mod so that its width and height can be adjusted dynamically in game ( default  width will be highway but you will be able to adjust the width to  match any type of road and also change its height).   I already obviously have the textured max file for the asset.   Careful consideration is needed to use procedural generic textures at the stretching points but other than that I think this  is very doable since bridges are inherently symmetrical in 2 axis.  When I return from a short holiday tomorrow  , I shall try and make this idea come to life and release this bridge using this approach to gauge reaction. The Procedural assets mod will really change the modding scene forever and open up many new possibilities, but it will be particularly useful for custom bridges which the game badly lacks enough variety in.  I organised a bridge making  workshop for Cities XL by releasing a template which resulted in  large collaborative  effort between the active modders at the time which yielded a high number of quality custom bridges  in a relatively short space of time.   I hope  that something similar will happen for Cities Skylines to increase the custom bridge variety.

• Original Poster
  • Here is the early prototype of my high arched  highway bridge which works as anticipated in game.   Ignore the placeholder textures and the fact that I have not yet deleted the pillars of the vanila bridge ( I forgot to install that mod).   As you can probably see I have control points on both sides of the bridge and also on the base of the feet so I can change the height  of the base and  also the width of the bridge while in game  to accommodate any size of road.

INOwzVW.png

There are some draw backs though.  This model is fairly modest at  5900 tris and I will need to slim it down much more because the response rate from the mod while in game is sluggish  with a model of this size.  It still works but is probably too slow for most users.   Also there is no lod facility  for procedural objects , the work around is to set the draw distance to around 4K in the procedural object menu with your object selected if your machine can handle this ( I am fortunate in this regard running a modern up to date PC) to avoid  the object disappearing at distance.  So you will need to consider using such assets very sparingly to avoid too much of a performance hit.

If you want to do some thing like this, I used one of the dummy AI enabled airport pieces as the template. That way the model only shows up in the procedural  objects menu when opened.

Great use of the Procedural Assets mod! I downloaded a heap of concrete textures yesterday - looks like I'll need to get some metal textures in anticipation of this bridge. ;)

• Original Poster
  • This asset is supposed to be concrete and will be full textured for release. There is nothing preventing an asset maker from texturing a procedural object as normal , you just have to be careful when designing the textures of the parts that will be stretched to be a generic as possible without too many details which will too obviously break when stretched.  There is also nothing preventing an end user from overwriting my textures with one of their own choosing.   I am having fun doing the texturing now...

Oh cool - I didn't realise they could be made with textures attached. And now you mention it, it would look better as concrete. Doh! Anyhow, I look forward to seeing it. :)

• Original Poster
  • Bridge now working ok  but I wish there was a way to get rid of the cable stays on the highway bridge pieces. Anyone know how to do this or if it is possible?  

RNGrZRV.jpg

3Tf8RlT.jpg

UhT0mFi.jpg

Nice bridge. You deleted the original pillars with "Move It" instead of using the "No Pillars" mod, right? Or use "Network Skins" to turn off pillars, if you have that mod.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for the replies.   I removed the pillars with the NO pillar mod but that does not remove the cables just the pillars.  How do you set the highway pieces to elevated road exactly? .  What I want is to lay a 4 lane highway in each direction over the bridge without those terrible looking cables from the suspension bridge.

• Original Poster
  • Thank you so much for this .  Does exactly what I need in conjunction with the no pillars mod.   With this my bridge is so much easier to use such that it becomes viable to release.  Will need to list this mod as a requirement  (or at the very least a strong recommendation)  I think.

• Original Poster
  • 2 hours ago, barcasam7 said:

That is fantastic use of the procedural object. Can I make request from your buildings in CXL? I love your building 781 5th Avenue NYC. 

OK I will take a look at this one next.   It has already been modelled in skylines though by another modder  so this will be a duplicate.  Is this ok or considered bad form?

Ohh has it? I've never seen that...can I please have the link?  But if you think your model is better feel free to do so as it's okay to upload a different version of a building. There is a few on the workshop already. 

Feindbild's was one of the earlier days of C:S I think and it's fit to make it growable. I can't really compare the two out of your screenshots - they are so oversaturated + the yellowish tint.  It's obviously better to work on something else if there is a proper version on the workshop, but that doesn't apply here. 

Your version does look a lot bigger which makes it look a lot more imposing. If you could upload this building at some point with the changes Darf suggested that would be great!

• Original Poster
  • Time for some low level procedural european bridges I think courtesy of Cities XL senior modder Monty who kindly given permission for me to convert some of his CXL bridge models for skylines

9vzyca7.jpg

XTFuVvr.jpg

The game is sadly lacking in the bridge dept- certainly a number of superb modern suspension/cantilever bridges but not nearly enough traditional stone built bridges. These will add greater variety to the game and increase options. Thanks!

• Original Poster
  • Another one that  is still in progress - going have to increase the thickness of the deck on this one in order to successfully hide the modern structure that comes with all the elevated road pieces.

rJjfvjW.jpg

LP2Mq2K.jpg

• Original Poster
  • yep I agree , I am going to try again with the texture editing in PS to see if I cant get a lighter stone effect without it going bright yellow which I think looks  worse than the deep red effect IMHO but still doesn't look quite right to me.   Here is the starting diffuse from the CXL model that I have to work with:

0jyidFo.png

any tips on where to go in PS to get a better skylines result would be appreciated.   I tried  turning down the saturation and conrtast but that turned into the "red mud" result above which is ok but not as good as it could be I think.