221 posts in this topic Last Reply

39 minutes ago, Jasoncw said:

building pack that contains it and a bunch of other building models (why on earth this was ever done I don't understand)

It was done as a pre-cursor to datpacking. Even back then it was still understood that a single .dat file (as opposed to many .sc4model and .sc4desc files) helped load times, it's just that the datpacking program hadn't been invented at that point.

I do have to say that as a creator/moderator it is over-reach to advocate having other creator's files (in this case non-maxis game fixes) included in the essentials pack, but disabuse the notion of your own files being included.

However, that is getting off point, and I really 100% agree with trying to get at least the essentials pack made so that as a community our content can remain relevant for newer players

1 hour ago, mattb325 said:

It was done as a pre-cursor to datpacking. Even back then it was still understood that a single .dat file (as opposed to many .sc4model and .sc4desc files) helped load times, it's just that the datpacking program hadn't been invented at that point.

I suppose that makes sense but I think I'd rather deal with the longer load times. But hey, now the lots can be added in and they can become starter packs. *:P

I do have to say that as a creator/moderator it is over-reach to advocate having other creator's files (in this case non-maxis game fixes) included in the essentials pack, but disabuse the notion of your own files being included.

However, that is getting off point, and I really 100% agree with trying to get at least the essentials pack made so that as a community our content can remain relevant for newer players

I miscommunicated that. I still think permission should be gotten for a bugfix pack. What I meant is that putting all of the bugfixes in one download is something that pretty much everyone would agree is a good idea, and it only involves a handful of mods and people so it's not complicated to organize. Plus some of the bugfixes are things like the opera house fix which is just increasing the capacity of the opera house which someone could remake if needed. 

But other content packs involve way more people, a bunch of debates about standardization, how much standardization/remastering should take place, how big the packs should be, which content should go in which packs, what the themes of the packs should be, and a million different issues. 

4 hours ago, jeffryfisher said:

model shortcut file with command-line switches such as -CPUCount:1

by the way, I did a little script to do this from a batch file (so you can use a desktop launcher instead of the original one), but has some extra elements that maybe not everybody would want to use. Tell me what is useful:

@ECHO OFF
::Script for running SC4 and saving a backup of an specifical region 0.2 beta::
::(cc)2017. matias93. CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 international.
::please post improvements on http://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/70802-matias93-unexpected-mod-workshop/

::Creates a backup of the unmodified region on a safe place
7z a -t7z "D:\docs\Documentos\SC4 Stuff\Backups\Ciudad del Lago-current.7z" "D:\docs\Documentos\SimCity 4\Regions\Ciudad del Lago\*"

::activates the Secure Drive driver
sc start secdrv

::starts the game
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -f -CustomResolution:enabled -r1366x768x32 -Intro:off -gp -CPUCount:1 -sound:off

::game is running

::when game is closed, stops Secure Drive
sc stop secdrv

Obviously, the first thing to change would be the backup process, which needs seven zip to run, and points to my region currently

On 8/16/2017 at 1:33 PM, matias93 said:

the only problem would be with the dll dependencies, as they are proprietary software we aren't allowed to redistribute.

I thought those particular DLL dependencies (e.g. msvcp71.dll) were standard libraries from the programming tools used to create the apps. I thought they could be distributed with any apps built on them. Otherwise nobody would be able to share or sell the programs they write (except to other developers who happen to own the same developer tool kit).

2 hours ago, jeffryfisher said:

I thought those particular DLL dependencies (e.g. msvcp71.dll) were standard libraries from the programming tools used to create the apps. I thought they could be distributed with any apps built on them. Otherwise nobody would be able to share or sell the programs they write (except to other developers who happen to own the same developer tool kit).

Well, maybe we have been overprotective as a community, and there's an easy way to do this, but I'm not clearly informed. Maybe the redistribution imply some royalty to the library rightsholder? I'm really deeply ignorant on this

I know that at least some of the Microsoft DLLs that are used by wouanagaine's tools are part of the .NET Framework.  Here is Microsoft's policy on redistributing the .NET Framework 1.0 Redistributable:

Note   If you choose to use Dotnetfx.exe for distribution with an application created by you, you must have a validly licensed copy of the Microsoft .NET Framework SDK and you agree that any use or distribution of Dotnetfx.exe associated with your Licensed Product as "Licensed Product" is defined in the Microsoft .NET Framework SDK end user license agreement (the "EULA"), is subject to the terms of the EULA. If you do not have a validly licensed copy of the Microsoft .NET Framework SDK or you do not agree to these terms and conditions, you are not authorized to distribute Dotnetfx.exe.

The policy for .NET Framework 1.1 adds Visual Studio .NET to the list along with the Microsoft .NET Framework SDK.

-Tarkus

I'll create a whitepaper about Simpacc soon.

On 8/18/2017 at 7:41 AM, Tarkus said:

Your author signature (-Tarkus) was accidentally included in the quote. :D

Posted (edited)

Hello,

This is my follow-up reply of my latest reply above:

OK, as we know, there are many replies about Modpacc (Meticulously, Organized, Distribution, Package (of), Accumulated, Custom, Content) idea. However, people end up in 'apt'/'npm' concept. But, as an unique thinker, I think the concept isn't right. The concept takes much effort since the communities aren't prepared early with this idea, unlike apt or npm community. Also, the app should be cross-platform, making some inconsistencies if not implemented right. However, there's a simple & practical solution, making the Modpacc a team. The Modpacc will be an open source legal plugin packer. Legal in context means with authorization from the authors. There are two parts, executives as representatives and will be helping with regulations and members as working part. By this way, executives'll be focused more on plugin packing, not just instructing. The additional privileges of execs will be like a Simtrop's 'moderator button'. The software used is unknown, between GitHub or self-hosted open source Git-based web repo management interface. The execs is unknown, and will be discussed in next reply.

If you have any questions, critics or suggestions, please reply this thread. Thanks.

Edited by Cyclone Boom  

Moved to the main discussion.

Discustion now going beyond the orginal subject ! Individual  choice wich bat´s or lot´s to use may need to be kept to the user; incompatible large dat files with older bat´s lot´s to avoid.. Member bat, lot makers to decide what to add to there personal specialized  bat, lot´s collection or collaborate on subjects like airports, harbours, commercials, industries, or! Special airports are so complex lot of bat´s, lot´s wich halftimes crash the game or misbehave all  together if all parts aren´t up to date, so a all parts working base set would be quit welcome ! SC4 devotion featured Mega prop files as they are should have for all mayor mega props groups like basic mega CP01-02, Dae 01-2, D66, LBT01-02, Misc1-2, RT 1-2, SW21 12 SG01,. most basic specialized AC, CSX, JRJ, JES, BAT Props, ALN seperate installed in a new all combining super mega dat file fully compatible ! Sharing wouldn´t be such a big point any more as most instalation hasle of running numerous seperate instalation programs is taken away, yet if downloading can be avoided or a file is really not at all available or simple sc4 regon plugin exchange as it is sharing shouuld be allowed at own risk !

Thanks :-) I played SimCity as a kid, but with Modem SimCity got a second life :-)
ehh ... I would like SC to be updated as often as the Rocket League. A new season of RL will start and many new RL Items and the crate rocket league accelerator will arrive. Sam buys crates and RL items (buy rl items) at the most trusted online store, Odealo
https://odealo.com/games/rocket-league