jzeltman

jz's creations | [Asset Release] Corrugated Roofs

43 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hey all, first I wanted to say thank you for all the time and effort you've put into making this game amazing. I've enjoyed many hours with your creations and wanted to start giving back to the community. I began making assets a month or two ago when my workload got slower than normal, and now I can't get enough of it :)

I've mostly been working on smaller assets because I just started modeling in 3D two months ago, so everything is still pretty new. Thank you so much @Ronyx69 for making your videos available. I learned a lot from watching them :)

Today I have a questions about illumination maps, my Rusty Warehouse 2 seems to have the windows illuminated all the time, and I don't know how to fix it:

0ACCC1F8F7E2C5536310A4966AA7C94722AE540F

This is my illumination map: 

5u1E3ml.png

My other question for today, which I'm thinking I know the answer to, is: Can a single asset be both growable and rico? And if not, is the preferred method of differentiation to have 2 separate assets in the workshop? Or two .crp files in the same asset?

13 minutes ago, jzeltman said:

Hey all, first I wanted to say thank you for all the time and effort you've put into making this game amazing. I've enjoyed many hours with your creations and wanted to start giving back to the community. I began making assets a month or two ago when my workload got slower than normal, and now I can't get enough of it :)

I've mostly been working on smaller assets because I just started modeling in 3D two months ago, so everything is still pretty new. Thank you so much @Ronyx69 for making your videos available. I learned a lot from watching them :)

Today I have a questions about illumination maps, my Rusty Warehouse 2 seems to have the windows illuminated all the time, and I don't know how to fix it:

0ACCC1F8F7E2C5536310A4966AA7C94722AE540F

This is my illumination map: 

5u1E3ml.png

My other question for today, which I'm thinking I know the answer to, is: Can a single asset be both growable and rico? And if not, is the preferred method of differentiation to have 2 separate assets in the workshop? Or two .crp files in the same asset?

Welcome! So far it looks great.

As for your questions, the windows of your illum map seem to be in 0-128 range, where they should be in the 128-256 range.

As for RICO, you can add a RICO xml to growables. The only downside is that once that assets grows, it won't grow to the next lvl. The best option is to let users choose if they want RICO or not, they can always convert a growable to RICO via the options menu.

• Original Poster
  • 12 minutes ago, Darf said:

Welcome! So far it looks great.

As for your questions, the windows of your illum map seem to be in 0-128 range, where they should be in the 128-256 range.

As for RICO, you can add a RICO xml to growables. The only downside is that once that assets grows, it won't grow to the next lvl. The best option is to let users choose if they want RICO or not, they can always convert a growable to RICO via the options menu.

@Darf thanks for the reply. I thought that the 0-128 range would use the diffuse texture and illuminate 'through' that? 

I've got the xml definition alongside the rico file for the asset, but when I test the file locally, I can't find it in the growable assets in the theme editor. Is there documentation on all the rico properties someplace? I've looked but was unable to find what I needed.

I'll add this guide to the mix - it explains the different values for illuminating buildings. For buildings you basicly almost always want to use colors at or above 128 and use 192 as your neutral color (for areas that won't be lit). Those are the ones that give the random illumination (so it isn't on during the day).

1 hour ago, Avanya said:

I'll add this guide to the mix - it explains the different values for illuminating buildings. For buildings you basicly almost always want to use colors at or above 128 and use 192 as your neutral color (for areas that won't be lit). Those are the ones that give the random illumination (so it isn't on during the day).

I join this discussion as a noob as well, as I have another question about illumination maps.

In the range 128-255 will I get illumination according to the diffuse texture or always white?
    If the second option is correct, there is no way to have illumination according to the diffuse texture which is only on at night, is it?

1 hour ago, vitusweb said:

In the range 128-255 will I get illumination according to the diffuse texture or always white?

Each building randomly samples a color from the light palette of the current map theme.

1 hour ago, vitusweb said:

If the second option is correct, there is no way to have illumination according to the diffuse texture which is only on at night, is it?

No.

4 hours ago, Ronyx69 said:

Each building randomly samples a color from the light palette of the current map theme.

Thanks, now I also understand what that light palette is for.

Did someone mention nightlight ??? :)

Also... 

4 hours ago, Ronyx69 said:

Hmmm ? A map theme has a color palette for nightlights ? Didn't know that, I'm tired of seeing buildings with bright blue or green ligths.

• Original Poster
  • I'm currently working on a multi-track train station station to take advantage of the new DLC:

RIyF038.png

It's far from done, but I had a question about size. The model is bigger than the 8x16 max size available, and this model doesn't include the front facade of the building that is another 10x6. It seems to me that using sub-buildings can allow for larger footprints than the default, does that allow for a single building to be bigger than the default maximum? I think I read that if a single building is bigger than the max-footprint, than the part of the model outside the max-footprint is culled?

Unrelated, but another question would it would be possible to use the cable-cars as a base to make something like a funicular:

6939930111_b6213f2817_b.jpg

16 hours ago, jzeltman said:

It's far from done, but I had a question about size. The model is bigger than the 8x16 max size available, and this model doesn't include the front facade of the building that is another 10x6. It seems to me that using sub-buildings can allow for larger footprints than the default, does that allow for a single building to be bigger than the default maximum? I think I read that if a single building is bigger than the max-footprint, than the part of the model outside the max-footprint is culled?

The mesh should not be bigger than the maximum footprint. Split your mesh into 2 parts and put one part into a sub-building.

• Original Poster
  • WDnid5U.jpg

I've got the advanced building editor mod, and see the button for making paths editable, but not quite sure how to use it. Am I using the wrong template here? This train station is only 3 tracks instead of the template's 6 tracks. Is there a way to remove the 'extra' paths? and how do I change their position to be more aligned with the platforms? Also, is there a good place with documentation on all this so I don't have to spam questions? haha

• Original Poster
  • A bit of a bump for my previous pedestrian path on the multi-track station question. Is there a way to edit those? 

eMZMZM6.pngXgGBoE7.png

I need some advice or suggestions on the best way to handle these girders/supports. I have the 'hollow' spaces of the girders set to 100% invisible on my alpha mask. But as you can see in the screenshots, that means that they look like empty boxes, and you can't see the girder on the other side. Is there a good way to handle this other than just copying the shape, making it a bit smaller, and then flipping the faces? Thanks in advance as always :)

• Original Poster
  • @boformer thanks :D I also spent a while with modtools to get more familiar and found some other ways of using the existing paths and modifying their positions

On 2017-5-25 at 0:54 AM, jzeltman said:

WDnid5U.jpg

I've got the advanced building editor mod, and see the button for making paths editable, but not quite sure how to use it. Am I using the wrong template here? This train station is only 3 tracks instead of the template's 6 tracks. Is there a way to remove the 'extra' paths? and how do I change their position to be more aligned with the platforms? Also, is there a good place with documentation on all this so I don't have to spam questions? haha

just use the bulldoze pedestrian ped. connections button on ABE

• Original Poster
  • Had to take a break from the station, and work on some housing inspired by the architecture in Buenos Aires. Most of the lot sizes here are crazy deep, but only ~8m wide. I think I will create a few dozen buildings, but then 'assemble' them together in 4x4 growable buildings using sub buildings. My question is: is there a way to randomize sub-buildings?

On 9/7/2017 at 11:16 PM, jzeltman said:

Had to take a break from the station, and work on some housing inspired by the architecture in Buenos Aires. Most of the lot sizes here are crazy deep, but only ~8m wide. I think I will create a few dozen buildings, but then 'assemble' them together in 4x4 growable buildings using sub buildings. My question is: is there a way to randomize sub-buildings?

Oh? Buenos Aires? are you by any chance from Argentina or just interested on the architecture?

• Original Poster
  • 1 hour ago, wasaki said:

Oh? Buenos Aires? are you by any chance from Argentina or just interested on the architecture?

I have been living in Buenos Aires for 1.5 years now, and wanted to do a project on the city, and share the eclectic mix of architecture with others :) Are you from Argentina or visited or interested as well?

• Original Poster
  • 3 hours ago, boformer said:

No. Not without mods

OK, thanks @boformer :) any other suggestions for 'modular' building combinations? Most of the buildings I'm making are 1 tile wide, so I figured I could 'combine' them together to make a bigger building for building limit purposes.

You might not be able to randomise sub-buildings but you can randomise sub-building colour at least (well, from 4 selected colours). You probably knew that already but just an idea

15 hours ago, jzeltman said:

I have been living in Buenos Aires for 1.5 years now, and wanted to do a project on the city, and share the eclectic mix of architecture with others :) Are you from Argentina or visited or interested as well?

Yes! i am from Argentina, not Buenos Aires tho, but i have been modelling houses and such from my town too, i just suck at uv mapping so im just happy with modelling them haha

Another one from Argentina! Nice! I am from Buenos Aires, but not living there anymore.. I moved back when I was 12 but I usually visit the city once every 2 or 3 years.. a building set from Buenos Aires would be really really cool!

On 07/11/2017 at 5:10 PM, jzeltman said:

Most of the buildings I'm making are 1 tile wide, so I figured I could 'combine' them together to make a bigger building for building limit purposes.

Sub-buildings also increase the building count. Also, you can not add sub-buildings to growable buildings.

6 hours ago, wasaki said:

what if you make those buildings props, and add them to the houses, randomly? that can be made?

Yeah, using prop variations you can put multiple props inside the same prop, each having a probability of spawning.

I even have a prop variation script for setting how many variations you want.
    https://gist.github.com/ronyx69/8071d41a135cdb5d1f1f0627b5806b6d

• Original Poster
  • On 7/14/2017 at 9:38 PM, wasaki said:

what if you make those buildings props, and add them to the houses, randomly? that can be made?

On 7/15/2017 at 3:43 AM, Ronyx69 said:

Yeah, using prop variations you can put multiple props inside the same prop, each having a probability of spawning.

I even have a prop variation script for setting how many variations you want.
    https://gist.github.com/ronyx69/8071d41a135cdb5d1f1f0627b5806b6d

Wouldn't this run into LOD issues though? if the building model was a prop, wouldn't it have a very limited LOD? or is that something that could be overriden?