Miccrosshill

mic´s assets: Release Jacked-up Boat & SailingShip "Simtropolis"

188 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • Yo Gangsta´s,

had the afternoon searching and modding - primary decal´s. then i did a test how they look ingame.

In my opinion - the Walls with Graffiti on them looks the best - decals are Pain in the .... when it comes to the positioning ... also the correct size is kind of a problem. Before i continue a wanted to ask you for your opinion .. wallordecal.jpg.4f4061569e467e5c5ef936e6537f3ece.jpg

I'm guessing you've already seen my graffiti assets on the workshop, looks like you've made some good progress here. I don't understand the positioning problem you have, if its a simple prop, you should be able to move it anywhere in space?

I would suggest adding a concrete stains texture on top of your diffuse texture and reduce the opacity of it, giving the graffiti a more worn in look. Rather than if it has just been sprayed on. Cant wait to see what you come out with. Try not to scroll through endless graffiti forever. XD

20170428205409_1.jpg

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for your suggestions Sparks :) your decals looks awsome - i will update my also with a "worn" look.

the positioning problem is that the props disaprear into the building - sometimes justthe half of the decal.

can it be a problem with the fbx-model? i use a simple rectangular face and then a diffuse and a alpha map - thats all. How is your 3d - model  looking?

.. i just put my first tries online .. but as i already wrote - i prefer more the walls with graffiti than the "decals".

Anyway - got kind of deya-vue when editing those grafics *g* remembering the old times and searched motivating music on youtube - the 90ies were a fine time ;)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=915042935

Holy crap these are awesome.

@Sparks44's decals are of course the ones I was referring to, but I'm greedy, I always want more! I use them a lot, but I try to avoid too much repetition.

The decals look great. I'm surprised you knocked those out so fast. Thank you!

I love the decals, but that wall looks great too. In my opinion though, the decals are more versatile. I really like being able to put them on any building. I wouldn't say no to more walls, but the decals have more utility overall I think.

Thanks again for these and I look forward to more if you decide to do any others.

I'll have to post some pics with these.

The issue with the graffiti sticking into the building is rotation - it isn't always possible to rotate a prop 100% the same as a building. I haven't tested it yet, but I imagine two faces overlapping with like 1cm between them might fix it. They'd share the same texture space ofc, but it might help when one bit is sticking into the building, the other slightly in front would still show. 1cm might be enough or perhaps more like 5cm is needed.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks Avanya .. the second plane did the trick ! :)

Now i have to update all Decals with the new model .. it becomes rally easy to position your Decal.

I also got a Character imported - i did not know that CS also accepts obj file - even with the texture and normals (convert to jpg or png) - but most model have a to high tris count - but anyway - for some scenes to get a nice screenshot perfectly usable :

check my O.G. just before he is arrested *hehe*

@ Matthias - more Graffitis are coming ;)scene.thumb.jpg.96d75797ae594b35599f73678e14d9c9.jpg

10 hours ago, Miccrosshill said:

Thanks Avanya .. the second plane did the trick ! :)

Now i have to update all Decals with the new model .. it becomes rally easy to position your Decal.

I also got a Character imported - i did not know that CS also accepts obj file - even with the texture and normals (convert to jpg or png) - but most model have a to high tris count - but anyway - for some scenes to get a nice screenshot perfectly usable :

check my O.G. just before he is arrested *hehe*

@ Matthias - more Graffitis are coming ;)scene.thumb.jpg.96d75797ae594b35599f73678e14d9c9.jpg

:D I can't wait.

And a question: Where would one of these junction towers typically be found? I'm trying to decide if I should sub it based on whether it would logically exist in my city.

• Original Poster
  • He Matthias ..

i would suggest a kind abbandoned Railyard/Station in the city - most cities have them .. overgrown with plants .. risk of collapse .. it seems to me the right place with someother old abandoned buildings. I know such a place from berlin .. until they start to build on this place new appartments .. this was in the middle of Berlin - and i know at least 3 of this kind.

img_20141126_115327.jpg

i have also added 7 new Graffitis to my Collection :

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=915042935

preview.thumb.jpg.4df95e51f326b6f544b0fc4fbbb9345c.jpg

Excellent Work!!! That grafffiti version looks awesome!!  I can already see you will be one of my instant subscribe modders. I look forward to seeing your workshop grow with interest. *:thumb:

Looks good. What's the file size like? Small I hope.

I wouldn't mind that plain version of your graffiti wall if you wanted to put it on the workshop. I can always use more walls.

• Original Poster
  • For this building the Texture takes most. I have to test the difference betwen png and jpg textures ingame .. then i can calculate the ap. filesize ..

btw. 120 Layers of graphics later :

Frontside/right

preview1.thumb.jpg.caeb48227e865289e7594ef006178ea2.jpg

Backsite/left

preview2.thumb.jpg.571f77f21d3f5b75ed38b3d770c9ac32.jpg

i am curious how many details stays after importing to CS. This building is 40m*20m - in CS it would be (8m block) 5x3 - this seems a little to much - but we will see ;)

Holy wow dude, that looks stunning!!!
    I'm not really in the know when it comes to scaling, but with my laymen's eye I'd say that building looks about 4x2 in size (which would allow you to make it a growable). However, my ballpark guesstimation is without any reference - if it's an airplane hangar, I'd be way off the mark *:D

Oh, and before I forget: I love your graffiti props!!! My filthy back alleys have never looked so pretty (and things have gotten even 'worse' since this screenshot)!
    qtXO0NG.jpg

• Original Poster
  • Thank you Judazz :) also for the screenshot of your filthy alley ! *nice looking*

Abou the size - i was also thinking about 4x2 - with some sourounding space for arranging the props .. like a courtyard. I want all to be props & building -so you can use each of them also @ another places - and one "scene" building where i put all together.

So its time for some status update - i worked the past 2 days on my scene .. finished almost the texturing of the mainbuilding - but i got a little bit bored looking for the right graffities and tags .. i have now passed 200 layers - never had so much in one picture. So for my distraction i started with some smaller props that comes along with the building .. did the first texturing - need some more grafics and some finetuning .. piece for piece - the scene is building up :)

Main building @ 90% texturing:

preview9.thumb.jpg.98aedc265082a82941d05eec457f883d.jpgpreview8.thumb.jpg.6a5b1d88bb169d1a33fa6423202e4889.jpg

A wall for this scene (front & back):

preview3.jpg.f33880a70fec82829b24a21deb290b22.jpgpreview4.jpg.39c0a06c33eae7233bfe48e2de4e22e8.jpg

and finally the first 2 props:
    preview5.jpg.610b9ae051711fcd9e51041ff4439858.jpgpreview6.jpg.3f7ed19efe30ce52d675329b505857b8.jpgpreview7.jpg.90f94c9be849deaccff1b9a7df94ae6c.jpg

8 minutes ago, Miccrosshill said:

Thank you Judazz :) also for the screenshot of your filthy alley ! *nice looking*

Abou the size - i was also thinking about 4x2 - with some sourounding space for arranging the props .. like a courtyard. I want all to be props & building -so you can use each of them also @ another places - and one "scene" building where i put all together.

So its time for some status update - i worked the past 2 days on my scene .. finished almost the texturing of the mainbuilding - but i got a little bit bored looking for the right graffities and tags .. i have now passed 200 layers - never had so much in one picture. So for my distraction i started with some smaller props that comes along with the building .. did the first texturing - need some more grafics and some finetuning .. piece for piece - the scene is building up :)

Main building @ 90% texturing:

preview9.thumb.jpg.98aedc265082a82941d05eec457f883d.jpgpreview8.thumb.jpg.6a5b1d88bb169d1a33fa6423202e4889.jpg

A wall for this scene (front & back):

preview3.jpg.f33880a70fec82829b24a21deb290b22.jpgpreview4.jpg.39c0a06c33eae7233bfe48e2de4e22e8.jpg

and finally the first 2 props:
    preview5.jpg.610b9ae051711fcd9e51041ff4439858.jpgpreview6.jpg.3f7ed19efe30ce52d675329b505857b8.jpgpreview7.jpg.90f94c9be849deaccff1b9a7df94ae6c.jpg

Keep up the good work mate.I would love to see more.I need these for my ghetto areas.

• Original Poster
  • All assets are now modeled and have basic texturing .. i need to make the lods and the final touch - hoping i can release this weekend ..

got the idea to bring in a halfpipe as asset - those graffiti building seems to crying for some kind of streetsports ;)

preview10.thumb.jpg.a77c4aad911e661378333d6462ec2e2e.jpg

The vanilla asset editor looks even worse than the vanilla game it feels like, so don't, worry, it should look better if you use a mod or two in-game :) Also superb texturing work.

• Original Poster

• Original Poster
  • yeah - i have to make some tests about the size of the textures - i was assuming that when you are using smal details on your assets - a higher resolution is better - i will test it on the Silo prop - jpg 512/jpg1024/jpg2048/png512/png1024/png2048. If i find a better (re) solution i will update the my assets.

I choosed already a jpg texture that is much smaller then the png one - but i saw that silo and building have booth 6,5 MB ... so not really a success ;)

It could certainly be worse. I've seen plenty of buildings on the workshop with hugely overblown file sizes for no reason. These have a lot of detail on them, and 6megs isn't that bad. 3 or 4 would be better, but someone like @Avanyaor @Darfwill have to weigh in.

18 hours ago, Miccrosshill said:

yeah - i have to make some tests about the size of the textures - i was assuming that when you are using smal details on your assets - a higher resolution is better - i will test it on the Silo prop - jpg 512/jpg1024/jpg2048/png512/png1024/png2048. If i find a better (re) solution i will update the my assets.

I choosed already a jpg texture that is much smaller then the png one - but i saw that silo and building have booth 6,5 MB ... so not really a success ;)

It makes no difference to the asset file size if you use png or jpg, the textures are compressed and converted to dxt by the asset editor.

Always use png, you're just messing up the quality even more by using jpg.