citycowboy

Is Our Profile History Gone Forever?

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi. I recently wanted to go through my old posts to double-check which processors don't work with the HD terrain mods, and noticed that all of my old posts and history was gone. Is this a new thing, or can this all be recovered somehow?

Thank you. 

Hiya.

I checked your content page, selected Posts and I see it goes back to a comment you made posted December 18, 2013 on Metra F40PH. Does it show that far back for you? And was that the first time you posted? There's a gap of 226 days between joining and that post. I checked my own content and it goes back to my very first post (which I recognize as being the first thing I ever said on ST.) So, if parts are missing then I'm guessing it's a random thing or that we've had other times when the board was re-indexing stuff and things would disappear temporarily. Like for a few days even.

Also, I'm going to move this to the Simtropolis Related forum. We do have a Bug Reporting thread there, but a separate topic is fine too.

Can't say I've ever needed to go back thru my profile history, but I just did and it only goes back to Feb 2008, as I finally joined the site after much lurking back in Apr 2007 and I'm pretty certain I must have been posting during that year it does look like stuff has gone, but given the site upgrades over the years its probably not surprising.

2 hours ago, citycowboy said:

I recently wanted to go through my old posts to double-check which processors don't work with the HD terrain mods

Long and short, if you can use DirectX Hardware rendering, you can use HD mods. If you use OpenGL, it's unlikely HD mods will work, Software Rendering means no HD textures for you.

Of course, if you should try such a mod, you'll quickly know if it's OK, since the game will CTD upon opening a tile if your system doesn't support them.

8 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

As a side test I went to @A Nonny Moose's activity and on page 1828 found things he posted December 31, 1969. Now that shows true dedication to post on a site before it even existed. *:golly:

23:59:59 12-31-1969 is considered date 0 (zero) in any Unix system....called the epoch date.

Time is counted from the number of seconds since that date.  In other words, 1 is 00:00:00 01-01-1970.  Our current date is a very large number.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time

Note the Year 2038 problem is very real.  It is the time at which 32-bit Unix systems will no longer be able to track dates as the number of seconds sine Jan 1 1970 will exceed what a float can hold.  This is similar to the Y2K issue was and will happen long before then.  It's actually already becoming an issue as 30 year mortgages are currently impacted by the 2038 problem.  If you work somewhere with 32-Bit Unix still in production, you should be dealing with this now (by getting rid of the dinosaur).

When this shows up in a modern system, it usually means somebody didn't put a date into a table that requires it.  Unix uses the epoch date for this situation (where it should put a NULL but the data structure requires data).

ST probably has some bad data there.

Something to consider is the site's database was compromised in mid-2008 in what was known as the "hack attack". Since I wasn't around, I'm not familiar with the exact happenings, though I believe it was due to malicious code which propagated and caused all sorts of havoc at the time. As a result, it caused large quantities of site content to be truncated or malformed beyond repair, and any attempt of restoration must've failed. It was more a basis for damage limitation.

Although it's long been resolved, this explains why some users' post history (like Nonny's) doesn't date back as far as you'd expect. Or if there are any irregularities for older posts (like with the timestamps).

Then combined with the various site upgrades, there would've been potential for corruption in other areas. Conversion scripts are meant to take care of the data transition process from one framework to another. However, they only work without flaws when data is in the expected form. With the issues previously, such conversions may well have been disrupted, leading to further potential losses.

@citycowboy

As you've registered long after the known cases of data loss, this is highly unlikely to have affected your account (or anyone else's since).

Could it be either of these by chance?

(From your list of posted threads)

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:25 AM, rsc204 said:

If you use OpenGL, it's unlikely HD mods will work, Software Rendering means no HD textures for you.

I used OpenGL rendering for several years after I got my laptop back in 2014 and never had any issue with the HD mods I used.  I have integrated Intel graphics and DirectX rendering produced horrible graphics issues with the HD mods, and I never liked software rendering.  OpenGL worked for me perfectly.  Only recently was a new driver released by Intel were I could use DirectX rendering.

On 4/20/2017 at 8:09 PM, Cyclone Boom said:

Something to consider is the site's database was compromised in mid-2008 in what was known as the "hack attack". Since I wasn't around, I'm not familiar with the exact happenings, though I believe it was due to malicious code which propagated and caused all sorts of havoc at the time. As a result, it caused large quantities of site content to be truncated or malformed beyond repair, and any attempt of restoration must've failed. It was more a basis for damage limitation.

I knew something like that must have happened, since some pages have ST links which are completely broken... or perhaps one of the upgrades @catty-cb mentioned changed link formats.   Either way, a lot of dead links out there to the STEX.