adventurerneil

NAM TSCT Setup Question: Can't open to edit on Mac

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

Hi All,

New Mac SC4 player here (and somewhat new Mac user in general).

I just downloaded and installed SC4 from Steam and also successfully installed NAM mod. I'm wanting to make a "road diet" city where people rarely choose to drive, but I can't seem to open TSCT to edit it.

After installing NAM, I see 2 desktop links that are labeled for TSCT, but I can't open either of them. When I click on the files (one file is "Transportation Simulation Configuration Tool.lnk" and the other is ""Transportation Simulation Configuration Tool.desktop") it says it doesn't know how to open those. I can post a pic later if requested. I'm guessing I'm missing a pre-req of some sort, though I did just update Java on the Mac. 

Any thoughts? I know it's silly but I've been searching for hours and can't find any answer. I've also looked through my files to try to find a "TSCT.bat" or .jar, but can't seem to find anything.

Thank you in advance for any help! :ohyes:

The lnk file is simply a shortcut, but it's a Windows thing, so real unlikely it'll work on a Mac. Although all it does is link to TSCT.BAT, which itself simply runs TSCT.jar from a command line.

Do a search on your machine to find the installed location of TSCT.jar, you should then be able to open it directly using Java. This was all designed to be multi-platform stuff, it's just a little less intuitive on non-Windows systems.

• Original Poster
  • Thank you, rsc204 for your response!

OK, so I located the file, but it appears to be wrapped in the wineskin that I downloaded...  does that it mean it didn't install correctly? I clicked the .jar from there and it opened and showed me the settings page, but said it couldn't find the NAM folder and wanted me to point it to it. If I do so, am I doing this right? Seems weird to run the thing from the installer. Here's a pic of the file in the wineskin thing:

Cheers,

Neil

Screen Shot 2017-04-15 at 9.12.10 PM.png

I can't see a problem with running the application from the installer, since it's simply a front end that reads your existing controller file and modifies it. It doesn't really matter where it's run from, it should work, but it's probably looking for the NAM files in the wrong location. Perhaps because there is no registry entries?, but you should check the NAM is installed/working before proceeding if you haven't already. Then simply pointing it to the relevant folder should be sufficient to read the current settings/modify them.

Perhaps this is a quirk of the Mac install process, which is literally the Windows installer made so that it will get the mod onto your Mac. Semi-recent changes in Mac OS, coupled with the fact that nobody left on the team is really using a Mac (although a few of us have access to one), have made native Mac support problematic.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks again! I appreciate the contextual info about developers and Mac OS, too.

I'll try pointing to the installed folder, which does seem to be installed and working correctly (NAM addons + SC4 native complexity = quite the learning curve). 

Just out of curiosity, once I do make changes in TSCT, is there an "easy" way to see that they're saved / working in-game?

Edit to add: Adding 2 pics showing my setup / folder usage to see if it might look right:

Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 12.49.28 PM.png

58f3bdc2e0602_ScreenShot2017-04-16at12_53_04PM.thumb.png.b37af5a5596cee3310c5ebdc799fb6bc.png

2 hours ago, adventurerneil said:

Just out of curiosity, once I do make changes in TSCT, is there an "easy" way to see that they're saved / working in-game?

A very easy change you can make in the TSCT is to toggle the "Use new Zones View". It's in your first pic in the lower right of the TSCT window. Check and uncheck that and going into a game between tests. Load a a city tile in mayor mode which has trees. With that option checked in TSCT you will still see trees in the New Zones view. Exit, toggle it off and test again. It should be back to default Maxis Zones View and you will not see trees in that view in the game. Also, if you have drawn a subway you will or won't see those in Zone View depending on which options you've selected. Disclaimer: Last time I tested was NAM 35. I'm guessing they haven't changed the show-the-trees-part in the new release.

Additionally toggling this on and off will create or remove a file somewhere in your Plugins called NetworkAddonMod_Zone_Data_View.dat.

My idea here is if this one particular test causes the expected changes then likely all things from the TSCT will be working as well.

That's one solution that will visually show you in game something has changed.

But another way is simply to check the date of the Traffic Plugin, since the file is modified when saving. Actually all this shouldn't be necessary, since if for some reason the application can't update the NAM files, you'll see an error message. So it's pretty safe to assume if no errors are encountered that the alterations have been made. Similarly, having altered the files, if you re-open the TSCT tool and load the current settings, it should also reflect the changes you made previously.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By denzo
        Hi,
        I am just discovering NAM's powerful features, and in the phase of learning to use these amazing expansions.
        What about those tiles, where a Curve road has been placed; is it possible to "connect" it to the other elements? I mean cosmetically.
        See the picture.
        At sign 1, there are no bench between the road and the houses. (At here, two 90 curve connected to each other)
        At sign 2, almost similar. 
        Is there any trick to make these tiles more "elegant", or just try to avoid to create this kind of parts?
        Cheers,
        Z

• By RandyE
        I re-worked the Traffic Control Center and added 6 more 2x2 Park Menu lots that can be used in the the NAM avenue roundabout.  There are 3 more 'Control Tower' themed lots, and 3 different park lots, one is an amusement type using the Maxis Tilt-a-Whirl ride, one a forested rest-place with a gazebo, and the other a decorative grassy park.  All the lots use Maxis props and lighting, and have unique Park Menu icons.
        All lots have the same stats:
        Park Effect: 10 over 10, Landmark Effect: 20 over 10.
        Power Consumed: 20 MWh, Water: 10 gph.
        Monthly Cost: 50§
        Minimal water and air pollution.
        The landmark effect is a bit higher as they are feature parks, the 'Control Tower' lots having an imaginary civic function in controlling city traffic.  The roundabouts are part of the Network Addon Mod (NAM) which is specialized for transit and traffic networks, but the lots are stand-alone and can be used separately as park lots.  If using the NAM bulldoze the default lot in the center of the avenue roundabout and plop one of the 2x2 lots.  Any 2x2 lot can be used.
        Dependencies:
         bldgprop_vol1.dat
        The dependency file is located on SimCity 4 Devotion (SC4D) on the following linked page:
        Maxis Lot Editor (LE) Tool and Addons
        The Maxis Files for SimCity 4 are also now hosted here on Simtropolis on the page linked below: 
        https://community.simtropolis.com/sc4-maxis-files/
        Alternatively, the file below may be used instead of bldgprop_vol1.dat.  It is a better option as it combines access to all the Maxis buildings as props and adds a better hover query showing the lot name. 
        The above dependencies must be installed in your game application Plugin folder.  
        To Install this package:
        Place the 'Roundabout Variety Pack Lots' folder in the zipfile to the 'SimCity 4\Pulgins' folder in user 'Documents'.
      • By jeffryfisher
        I've requested that region-view ferry route color be customizable in the NAM. I think it would be cool for the TSCT to display and offer customization of the RGB and pattern for each transit network. However, while I am waiting, I am wondering what I can do to mod my own plugins to help my problem:
        I installed a water mod. I like it except... The new darker color in the region view renders NAM's purple ferry routes virtually invisible. I wish I could flip the ferry-route color to white (or some other bright, high-contrast RGB). Does anyone here know how to find and mod the colors and patterns of region-view network displays?
      • By kschmidt
        GLR & Tramway´s are getting back to old dual direction operation. Loops at the end of the line are fewer. GLR & Trams in SC4 now are architect on two track dual direction. Double track one way, aswell Double track one way or single one way stations would be nice. Some extra pieces one way and T switch or X cross over like pieces would be nice. Cosmeticly showing a one way direction loop or a tailback end point would be nice. Sory for the rough schema I produced I hope it will make things much more clear !
        Above you see a normal loop where all trams enter one way and depart the other way. Below is a tailback track end point where trams switch driver heads and reverse back. First a switch to go into the loop single track and another swithc making it again double required aswell reversing it back. Second there can be cosmitic pieces maybe as the crossover may reverse the direction. Little inspiration of the rail crossover by strangiatotheme 
        Dual way trams are know quit common in my area, mostly GLR, but recently aswell as normal tramline, so I would be interested or this is posible in SC4 or this maybe utopia for ever !
        Sincerely yours,
        kschmidt
      • By Fantozzi
        NAM makes Sims travel much further for work than ever before. But what if they run out of gas?
        Don't worry any longer, take Fantozzi's truck stops instead.
        This download offers two slightly different plopable lots, each 4x10 tiles in size, you find in the misc. transportation menu to place them left and right of your avenue or RHW or road or whatever.
        They offer 28/29 CS$$ jobs and have a slight positive effect over 35 tiles on commercial growth and cost 3600 simeoleons to plop.
        The lots are transit enabled and can be connected with OWR. It's stongly recommended to use SC4fix together with the truck stops .

This lotwork requires 6 dependencies:
        SFBT ARAL Gas Station
        Ceafus 88 Burger King v2.0
        SHK Parking Pack 1.2
        KOSC SuperSHK MEGA Parking Textures
        Was NL Props (Dutch Prop Pack)
        SCF_European Truck Pack

In case you like what you see consider to rate/vote for the original content creators.
        Bon voyage.