Jump to content

73 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

  • Original Poster
  • 1 minute ago, CorinaMarie said:

    A good place to start is learning the basics of how the game works. There's a really good tutorial here for getting started.

    yes i know the Basics but i never built a big city with millions if inhabutants.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I've never built a city that large 'naturally'.

    I'm not sure how long it would take, but I'd certainly recommend this mod:

     

    This is fully customisable, and will max out demand and allow for building such a large city much easier.

    :D

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • 1 minute ago, _Michael said:

    I've never built a city that large 'naturally'.

    I'm not sure how long it would take, but I'd certainly recommend this mod:

     

    This is fully customisable, and will max out demand and allow for building such a large city much easier.

    :D

     

    but it should be possible to build without mods a large City..

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    @Stellaris88

    It is possible, but would entail a lot of patience, fine control of the game to keep demand high and if you after a metropolis this would make it a lot easier.

    If you are new the the custom-content world of SC4 (I see you are new to Simtropolis -welcome :P ), then I really would recommend investigating a few 'must-haves', such as the NAM:

    Also see this guide to welcome you to Simtropolis.

     

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • Just now, _Michael said:

    @Stellaris88

    It is possible, but would entail a lot of patience, fine control of the game to keep demand high and if you after a metropolis this would make it a lot easier.

    If you are new the the custom-content world of SC4 (I see you are new to Simtropolis -welcome :P ), then I really would recommend investigating a few 'must-haves', such as the NAM:

    Also see this guide to welcome you to Simtropolis.

     

     

    no i don't want use mods

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    @Stellaris88

    Fair enough, but after 14 years, SC4 has a wide-ranging and diverse range of mods and custom content, so should you ever change your mind, you're likely to find what you want. :) 

    I would personally say, though, I didn't play with mods for over a year with SC4, but once I discovered the custom-content environment, the game was changed completely for me. Mods add such a variety of, in my opinion, very desirable features and I couldn't imagine playing the game without them. Each to their own, however. :)

    I wish you well in building your city!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • Just now, _Michael said:

    @Stellaris88

    Fair enough, but after 14 years, SC4 has a wide-ranging and diverse range of mods and custom content, so should you ever change your mind, you're likely to find what you want. :) 

    I would personally say, though, I didn't play with mods for over a year with SC4, but once I discovered the custom-content environment, the game was changed completely for me. Mods add such a variety of, in my opinion, very desirable features and I couldn't imagine playing the game without them. Each to their own, however. :)

    I wish you well in building your city!

    how logn does it take to build a big City?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    @Stellaris88

    I've always answered your question:

    13 minutes ago, _Michael said:

    I've never built a city that large 'naturally'.

    7 minutes ago, _Michael said:

    It is possible, but would entail a lot of patience, fine control of the game to keep demand high

    And the time it takes to build any city will vary greatly.

    Some players will spend months building a very small, but detailed city, other will take a long time to cover an entire tile. The time it will take cannot be estimated, the only thing you need is perseverance and patience. :) 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • Just now, _Michael said:

    @Stellaris88

    I've always answered your question:

    And the time it takes to build any city will vary greatly.

    Some players will spend months building a very small, but detailed city, other will take a long time to cover an entire tile. The time it will take cannot be estimated, the only thing you need is perseverance and patience. :) 

    i  aam not very patient....

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    11 minutes ago, Stellaris88 said:

    i  aam not very patient....

    ^ That could be a wee bit of a disadvantage for playing SC4. *;)

    My largest natural city without any mods was 100k-ish so I don't have any answer for you. (And that took me a couple of months of re-starting every few weeks as I learned more about the game interactions.) So, let's just wait and see what other peeps have to say.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • 3 minutes ago, Abrams124 said:

    It takes patience to develop a large city.Mods speed up that.However if you refrain from using mods,then you will need a lot,many lot patience.You need to choose either option

    but how Long? Months? or Years?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • Just now, Abrams124 said:

    Depends on how long you play a day,the terrain of the city,and your luck

    a flat Terrain of course.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    The problem is that there is no answer, simple or other wise, to your question.  There is no formula to determine how long it will take to reach a certain population.

    The factors are many:  how long you play each day, the level of your expertise with game mechanics, your playing style, your ability to avoid the many minefields the game will throw at you.  Growing a city with a large population gees way beyond just knowing the "Basics".  There are people that play for years without reaching a million inhabitants.

    While deciding to play without any mods is of course up to you (does this include other custom content as well?), there are several mods that either fix some of the things Maxis broke (and there are many), or implement several things that Maxis tried to do but failed or didn't finish.  Getting to a high population level could be difficult without them.

    If you're not a patient person, you're likely to get frustrated enough to drop the game.  The game is not a contest; there is no time limit; there are no deep, dark secrets to success; it's about the journey!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • 28 minutes ago, twalsh102 said:

    The problem is that there is no answer, simple or other wise, to your question.  There is no formula to determine how long it will take to reach a certain population.

    The factors are many:  how long you play each day, the level of your expertise with game mechanics, your playing style, your ability to avoid the many minefields the game will throw at you.  Growing a city with a large population gees way beyond just knowing the "Basics".  There are people that play for years without reaching a million inhabitants.

    While deciding to play without any mods is of course up to you (does this include other custom content as well?), there are several mods that either fix some of the things Maxis broke (and there are many), or implement several things that Maxis tried to do but failed or didn't finish.  Getting to a high population level could be difficult without them.

    If you're not a patient person, you're likely to get frustrated enough to drop the game.  The game is not a contest; there is no time limit; there are no deep, dark secrets to success; it's about the journey!

    But it should be possible? Or not?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Of course it's possible to do this. The best way to go about it would be to have an entire region with a large central city. Without other cities to feed into the large one it will be very difficult to achieve.

    Here is a great tutorial on region play. If you only look at the basic plan for how the cities are linked, it should help you a lot with your goal. Also, I know you've said you don't want to use mods, but did you know SC4 has a number of bugs left in it, without some mods, you are vastly more likely to fail?

    You should install the NAM (everyone should), even if you only install the absolute basics which includes the custom simulator. Without it, sims just don't find jobs very well, i.e. lots of No Job Zots, which mess with demand.

    The I-HT fix is not a mod, it's a patch, without it R$$$ will not be employed at I-HT buildings. Again making it problematic to reach higher populations.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • Just now, rsc204 said:

    Of course it's possible to do this. The best way to go about it would be to have an entire region with a large central city. Without other cities to feed into the large one it will be very difficult to achieve.

    Here is a great tutorial on region play. If you only look at the basic plan for how the cities are linked, it should help you a lot with your goal. Also, I know you've said you don't want to use mods, but did you know SC4 has a number of bugs left in it, without some mods, you are vastly more likely to fail?

    You should install the NAM (everyone should), even if you only install the absolute basics which includes the custom simulator. Without it, sims just don't find jobs very well, i.e. lots of No Job Zots, which mess with demand.

    The I-HT fix is not a mod, it's a patch, without it R$$$ will not be employed at I-HT buildings. Again making it problematic to reach higher populations.

     But i tought SimCity 4 is a good game, but it seems SimCity 4 is without mosd unplayable?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    SC4 without mods is far from unplayable, but you just may find it more frustrating.

    So take the problems with the traffic simulator, without going into an inordinate amount of technical detail, the basic problem is this. Maxis knew how to make the simulator that handles finding jobs for sims and routing them there work perfectly. The problem was at the time of release, PC's were not all that powerful, so in order to ensure the game would be playable on more machines, not just expensive new high end ones, they messed up the path finding. Years later, the community was able to fix this, because few people would still be using processors that couldn't handle it. Hence the suggestion to install the Traffic Simulator of the NAM, it's just better.

    Yes the I-HT problem is a bug, a nasty one really. But is the fix a mod? No, it's not, it's a patch, just not an official one. So rather than sweating over what things are called, isn't it easier to simply install what you need to avoid the problem?

    There are plenty of mods, enhancements and custom content options from over 13 years of modding. But all of them are optional, no one can force you to use them. But many of them make the game better. If you are concerned somehow installing a mod or fix is some sort of cheat, don't be. Some clearly are, like the Demand mod noted above, I wouldn't use such a thing personally either. But something which enhances the game, that's not a cheat, just an add on. SC4 gets a lot of negativity from some, who think the game has many problems, but the fact is that the game is brilliant, if you just spend a little time setting things up properly. Frankly, for something released in 2003, it runs remarkably well today on new PCs, which isn't always the case for many PC games.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • 1 minute ago, rsc204 said:

    SC4 without mods is far from unplayable, but you just may find it more frustrating.

    So take the problems with the traffic simulator, without going into an inordinate amount of technical detail, the basic problem is this. Maxis knew how to make the simulator that handles finding jobs for sims and routing them there work perfectly. The problem was at the time of release, PC's were not all that powerful, so in order to ensure the game would be playable on more machines, not just expensive new high end ones, they messed up the path finding. Years later, the community was able to fix this, because few people would still be using processors that couldn't handle it. Hence the suggestion to install the Traffic Simulator of the NAM, it's just better.

    Yes the I-HT problem is a bug, a nasty one really. But is the fix a mod? No, it's not, it's a patch, just not an official one. So rather than sweating over what things are called, isn't it easier to simply install what you need to avoid the problem?

    There are plenty of mods, enhancements and custom content options from over 13 years of modding. But all of them are optional, no one can force you to use them. But many of them make the game better. If you are concerned somehow installing a mod or fix is some sort of cheat, don't be. Some clearly are, like the Demand mod noted above, I wouldn't use such a thing personally either. But something which enhances the game, that's not a cheat, just an add on. SC4 gets a lot of negativity from some, who think the game has many problems, but the fact is that the game is brilliant, if you just spend a little time setting things up properly. Frankly, for something released in 2003, it runs remarkably well today on new PCs, which isn't always the case for many PC games.

    Can you build a City with 1 Million inhabitants in cities skylines?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • Just now, Abrams124 said:

    That's the population limit for skylines

    why does cities Skylines have a Population Limit? Thats stupid.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 minute ago, Stellaris88 said:

    Can you build a City with 1 Million inhabitants in cities skylines?

    Not without a stupidly expensive high end PC or terrible lag.

    1 minute ago, Stellaris88 said:

    why does cities Skylines have a Population Limit? Thats stupid.

    Because it needs to simulate each sim or at least a percentage of them. Since most users don't have a super-computer (needed to handle all the CPU-Runtime to make it work), a hard limit prevents the game from being unplayable.

    I'm sorry, what on earth is it you want here? Because if your only goal is to make a city with 1,000,000 sims, I think you've fundamentally missed the point of playing such games.

    Are you really saying because you need to patch 2 issues with mods, you'd not consider playing the game? That's so ridiculous, I simply can not understand your rationale there? If that's your attitude, trying to advise you is probably a waste of everyone's time. You don't want our advise, you want us to tell you what you want to hear.

    Also what is so special about 1,000,000 sims? If your city is boring and generic, no one will care much about it. But make an interesting and unique city, no one will care if anyone even lives there.

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • 2 minutes ago, rsc204 said:

    Not without a stupidly expensive high end PC or terrible lag.

    Because it needs to simulate each sim or at least a percentage of them. Since most users don't have a super-computer (needed to handle all the CPU-Runtime to make it work), a hard limit prevents the game from being unplayable.

    I'm sorry, what on earth is it you want here? Because if your only goal is to make a city with 1,000,000 sims, I think you've fundamentally missed the point of playing such games.

    Are you really saying because you need to patch 2 issues with mods, you'd not consider playing the game? That's so ridiculous, I simply can not understand your rationale there? If that's your attitude, trying to advise you is probably a waste of everyone's time. You don't want our advise, you want us to tell you what you want to hear.

    Also what is so special about 1,000,000 sims? If your city is boring and generic, no one will care much about it. But make an interesting and unique city, no one will care if anyone even lives there.

     

    All cities look boring in simCity 4,.....

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an Account  

    Sign up to join our friendly community. It's easy!  

    Register a New Account

    Sign In  

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now


    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×

    Help Keep Simtropolis Online, Open & Free!

    stexcollection-header.png

    Would you be able to help us catch up after a bit of a shortfall?

    We had a small shortfall last month. Your donation today would help us catch up for this month.

    Make a Donation, Get a Gift!

    We need to continue to raise enough money each month to pay for expenses which includes hardware, bandwidth, software licenses, support licenses and other necessary 3rd party costs.

    By way of a "Thank You" gift, we'd like to send you our STEX Collector's DVD. It's some of the best buildings, lots, maps and mods collected for you over the years. Check out the STEX Collections for more info.

    Each donation helps keep Simtropolis online, open and free!

    Thank you for reading and enjoy the site!

    More About STEX Collections