leotychidas

[ASK] realrailways mod on road

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

I'm confuzzled. Your topic title refers to circles at the end of a road which would be the cul-de-sacs option of a custom install in NAM. Your picture shows a non-matching texture for the rail crossing. The cul-de-sacs can be added by re-running the NAM installer, selecting Custom, and then clicking the radio button to select them. For the texture matching part we'll have to wait for a NAM expert.

1 minute ago, leotychidas said:

i am sorry for the title, what a shame lol

No worries. I see you fixed it. *:thumb:

1 minute ago, leotychidas said:

so, there's no option to fix that rrw?

I imagine there is, but I'm not a guru with NAM. We'll just have to wait until one of them pops in with an official answer. *;)

• Original Poster
  • Just now, CorinaMarie said:

No worries. I see you fixed it. *:thumb:

I imagine there is, but I'm not a guru with NAM. We'll just have to wait until one of them pops in with an official answer. *;)

well, thanks for the answer. i'll be waiting for that :)

Hello Leotychidas

It looks like you have the base level crossings installed for the RealRailway. That is the only one for the RRW in you installation. I can give you the texture number so you can make a Level crossing piece that is too you liking if your in a hurry but NAM 36 should have a few more options.

However there are some new variants coming out with the Automated Re-textureing Project That I am a co contributor too.

This project will change the base texture of the whole network and has a special section for level crossings.

The ones you have where made when the main  maker Willy was in charge. I have taken over the project and will continue to work on it for some time.

So I guess the message here is wait and watch this space.

-eggman121 (NAM Team member)

Actually, the crossing texture you show was almost certainly made by @rivit. Having made the initial RRW release with NAM32, @Swordmaster (Willy), who created RRW went MIA. Unbeknownst to a number of us, he had made many crossing textures, but until around NAM33/34 those that did exist were "lost".

In the interim, there was a pressing need for RRW-compatible crossings and as part of his Rum for RRW mod, Rivit was instrumental in making sure they existed. I also was involved with patching RRW support during that period. These textures made their way into the main NAM mod, but they are not mismatching in any way. The rails, gauge and even the concrete bed was all new and designed specifically for RRW.

Unlike when working with the Maxis and/or other rail styles, texture makers had problems with RRW. Because the rails are too close in colour to the blacks used for many transit networks in the NAM. So the old way of simply layering the rails over the network texture simply didn't give good results. This is why the concrete was added, so the rails don't get completely lost in the texture. Subsequently a complete set of textures based on Willy's intended style have been put together. Once more they include a concrete section, but this is the original vision he had for how such crossings would look:

32602904804_a928496d0c_o.jpg

I am hopeful these will make it into NAM36. The ones shown are part of a upcoming refresh of TGN. These also form the basis for the RRW Reskin crossing textures too.

If you ask me, concrete blocks is the standard method to do level crossings I know, so those of the first image look very realistic to me, maybe even more than the newer ones.

In any case, other options exist: to use wood sleepers, or even more rails, but those are less common and somewhat outdated...

Depends really, I've seen a lot with Rubber used between the rails here in Germany. Although frankly I barely ever come across a level crossing in my travels.

However, in the case of the RRW Crossings, I thought what you see in the screenshot (no offense to Rivit) simply was of higher quality and more visually pleasing in-game. So I ran with it and spent a lot of time ensure all LHD/RHD US/EU variants are covered. As usual, people will all have their preferences no doubt. But these will be the new default set.

Yes, the "rubber" as you put it, between the rails, is more common here in CA (well, San Diego, at least), though of course numerous variations exist, and old right of way for abandoned rails will sometimes still have the old wooden sleepers for the crossing. In fact, although most of the old rail in SD was simply paved over, or had asphalt laid in between the rails, there is still an area right next to the International Airport that remains untouched (leading into the air freight area) and still has wooden sleepers as the crossing material (as well as other rails that were poorly paved over).

Unfortunately we have a great deal of level crossings, but then again So Cal is hardly a flat, rail friendly place, so it's understandable that avoiding level crossings wouldn't be the highest priority (drivers dealing with train traffic are hardly a concern despite the politicking).

As MGB says, the crossings in RUM were a fill-in because otherwise RRW would have launched without. Concrete slabs embedding rail and separating rail from roadway (often asphalt) was the method around here (OZ) as it allows completely stabilising the rail and the roadway - heavy rain tends to gouge out the road (potholes) gap between concrete strips.  Ultimately I found these ones (as in first image above) too bright and a bit wrong to look at and had in fact made a new set that were grubbier and would have made it into the next RUM if it were not for the decision to take the @swordmaster style above in MGBs shot.

The compromise we have struck is that street crossings - low traffic zones - will be bare rail in street and the rest stabilised with one concrete strip per rail. We think we've got 'em all and they look sufficiently weathered. Being consistent in style, colour and brightness is probably more important than the style in itself.

And, as they say, if someone is keen on making an alt set - gird your loins - there are hundreds of them...  and they are fiddly to make without mistakes.