147 posts in this topic Last Reply

I wish there were wealth levels. That‘s a whole dimension of gameplay that‘s missing. I used to love this feature in Sim City 4. It was quite challenging to stop neighbourhoods from descending into poverty and crime. And to push neighbourhoods to a higher level.

Also I liked the individual Sims that you could set up in Sim City 4 in order to follow their lives‘ events in the course of the game. Their problems in commuting, their economic troubles, whatever.

CO word of the week #6 - 10/2017

Cities: Skylines Mass Transit expansion was announced last week! Emmi and I were in San Francisco showing a demo of it to the press. The reception was very positive from them and, more importantly, it seems the announcement was well received by the community! That always makes me happy since this expansion especially was very much inspired by the feedback we have gotten from you guys :)

There will be again a paid expansion part with new content and a free update that, for example allows you to name roads. I know, finally! Yes, there's also other (less important) things, but we'll get to all of that later. 

But why did we decide to work on a mass transit expansion now? We implemented the trams with Snowfall as it was widely requested feature, however later the feedback was that some people would have wanted only the trams and bunch of other methods of transportation. Ferries, especially after the addition of canals, was among the most requested ones. The internal working title for Mass Transit was "Boats and Roads" since the original idea was to focus solely on the ferries and addition of different road types, bridges and tweaks to the road building. However together with Paradox we decided to expand the scope due to the popular demand of the monorail and came up with two more transportation types that would fit the expansion. 

Therefore the expansion really became a mini-Cities in Motion - back to the roots almost. There won't be as much micromanagement as there is in our previous games, but all in all the idea is to deepen the mass transit options in the expansion and the road enhancement tools will bring more control to building the road network in the free update. In all it's nerdiness this is really why we make games to begin with :) 

This week, jetlagged and most of the team sick, we have continued to work on the smaller features which are not yet implemented for Mass Transit. The main features are there and we'll be writing bi-weekly development diaries to give you more information starting next week!

Cheers,
Mariina

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/co-word-of-the-week-6-10-2017.1004063/

22 minutes ago, hitzu said:

It seems odd that this so much anticipated expansion got so little discussion about it...

Probably because there's so little info about it. We only know of the basics. Most of the juicy information comes from the dev diaries, which are very spaced apart, but I think we should get one on Tuesday.

Gosh, I can't wait. This is the first expansion to make me feel really excited.

"Mass Transit"?  niche methods of transportation! Blimps and cable cars? Maybe we can dangle Boris Johnson from the cable and re-enact the Hindenburg disaster? How about JFK's Dallas Motorcade? Modders can get to work on the School Book Repository and a grassy knoll!

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads%2Fcities-skylines-mass-transit-dev-diary-1-more-than-just-new-public-transport-types.1005446%2F

We at Colossal have a long history of doing games with public transport. Cities in Motion and its sequel are all about building and managing a public transportation system in existing real world cities. Naturally we are very excited to get to expand the transport systems in Skylines too.

Mass Transit is not just about new transportation methods. There are numerous improvements to traffic and public transport. Train stations can be set to accept or not accept intercity traffic, so you can decide if trains coming from outside the city stop at all stations or maybe use just one where passengers can then transfer to other transportation modes. Selecting a line now shows a list of stops and the amount of passengers waiting on each stop. A new slider allows for more detailed adjusting of how many vehicles each line gets from the shared budget. One-way train tracks can be used to better define where you want trains to go without any extra tracks taking up space. A whole new info view has been added to help you find out where citizens are going to and from.

devdiary-trainsation.png

A passenger train station which can receive intercity trains

Traffic routes info view

Open Traffic Routes info view and click on a citizen, vehicle, building or road segment to see a visualization of trips. If you have chosen a citizen or a vehicle, you can see where they are coming from and what is the destination as usual, but now this information is visual and you can also see the route they are using. Buildings and road segments highlight trips made to and from them, so it is easy to see where the traffic is coming from. Visualization allows you to quickly swap between selections and instantly see where the traffic is coming from. This information is very useful when for example you are looking a a segment of road that is prone to traffic congestion. Finding out where traffic originates can help you plan alternative routes or separate trips from different areas to different roads, so there is more capacity available.

devdiary-trafficroutes.png

The piece of road showing in green in the middle of the screen has been selected while the info view is open. Trips made through it recently are painted on the map. Pedestrians and vehicles are in different colours and can be filtered in the info view legend panel.

Visual aids to road building

Building roads is a big part of the game, so it should be even more intuitive and easy. While the road tool is very flexible and allows for all kinds of interesting intersections, there are now improvements to the basic use. New line guides and dots help you place roads just where you want them to be. The lines show distances between roads and how existing roads would continue. Dots mark places where you can start building a road at a 90 degree angle and get the zoning grids to meet perfectly with no gaps. There are many exceptions to these basic rules, but the main point is that when building roads, there is a lot more visual information available, so the dream road grids will be easier to build. These visual aids are something I’m personally very excited for. The team has played the game so much that naturally we almost always get the zoning spacing right, but it does still feel frustrating when its one square too much to the side and you have to cancel the road and try again. We will have much less of that when Mass Transit comes out!

devdiary-visualaids1.png

When building a road connected to an existing road, you can now see its angle compared to the existing road, as well as guide dots on where to place roads for zoning to have no gaps.

devdiary-visualaids2.png

The road tool now has a circle around the cursor circle to signify where zoning will will be marked. Blue dashed lines mark how existing roads would continue.

Public Transport improvements

As mentioned, passenger train stations now have a new setting. When you have outside connection train tracks coming to your city, you can now choose where the train will stop. Previously trains stopped at all encountered stations, which could end up in very slow train connections. Having more control over where trains stop helps a lot with this.

devdiary-modifyline.png

Passengers view shows the amount an location of passengers on a line. The blue dots are vehicles on the line, also showing their maximum capacity. Stops show the amount of passengers waiting for this line on a stop.

When you select a line, you can see in the line info panel all the stops and vehicles on the line. Both stops and vehicles show how many passengers are on board or waiting on a stop. Vehicles also show the maximum capacity, so you know if they are full or not. The vehicle markers move between the stop markers, so you can basically see the whole line easily at one glance. This helps you identify bottlenecks so you can check more closely where passengers are going to and why are they packing into one station. Or you can see if some stop is almost always empty, maybe it can be removed or it needs some lines feeding passengers to it.

Free update

As usual, the DLC pack will come with a free update which has all of the features listed in this text. For even more features and content of the DLC pack, check out the next Development Diary in a couple of weeks!

Cheers,
Karoliina, Lead Game Designer on Cities: Skylines

9 minutes ago, Dezelles said:

When will they do the same DLC for the transport of goods and waste?:rofl:

Yeah! I want an option to feed shops with goods delivered by cargo trams. I want ships to get rid of the waste. I want cops patrol on foot and on bikes. I want medical helis... wait we have those already. :D

EDIT: oh, maybe blimps already can do cargo?

2 minutes ago, hitzu said:

Yeah! I want an option to feed shops with goods delivered by cargo trams. I want ships to get rid of the waste. I want cops patrol on foot and on bikes. I want medical helis... wait we have those already. :D

That would be fantastic! I could overflow my cities with imported waste, so they become even more horrible! :P 

Cargo trams... :) I did not think about it, but it's a great idea ! :ohyes:

Air freight (plane, helicopter, blimp...)
Pipeline for oil products
Transport of wood on rivers

Integration of waste into the cargo transport (to be transported by train or boat)
Specializations for all cargo transport (oil tankers, oil terminals, bulk carrier, cereal terminals...)
Hubs (transfers from one type of vehicle to another)
Storage depots (on the same principle as landfills: one can store a type of goods and empty them...)
Functional Recycling Centers (bringing waste, taking away Raw Products)
Postal and/or delivery services: shops can deliver cims at home, including by motorcycle or bicycle (for restaurants, by example...)

7 hours ago, Dezelles said:

Cargo trams... :) I did not think about it, but it's a great idea ! :ohyes:

Air freight (plane, helicopter, blimp...)
Pipeline for oil products
Transport of wood on rivers

Integration of waste into the cargo transport (to be transported by train or boat)
Specializations for all cargo transport (oil tankers, oil terminals, bulk carrier, cereal terminals...)
Hubs (transfers from one type of vehicle to another)
Storage depots (on the same principle as landfills: one can store a type of goods and empty them...)
Functional Recycling Centers (bringing waste, taking away Raw Products)
Postal and/or delivery services: shops can deliver cims at home, including by motorcycle or bicycle (for restaurants, by example...)

Post this on paradox's site.

I'd buy this dlc, seriously these are pretty good ideas. 

Yeah it was in Dresden. To supply a vw-factory with parts. In Berlin they consider to sent dhl/ups/amazon parcels in the night with trams to carco hubs. From the hubs by delivery van to the recipients.

Here is an article about that (unfortunately its in german but there is a pic of the cargo tram from Dresden.)

• Original Poster
  • 3 hours ago, boformer said:

Cargo Trams? Is that a thing?

In my area (Den Haag, Delft, Rotterdam) they used to look like this until 1979. Before this, they used steam powered trams. Basically small freight trains using the tram (light rail) network to reach facilities that were not connected to the heavy rail network.

Spoiler

tram034.jpg

In 2006 Amsterdam started a pilot with freight trams, but was cancelled in 2008 after delays and increasing costs.

Spoiler

jhhuytu.jpg

8598873661_d9404cd06e_b.jpg

What I really would like to know, Does public buildings, including the mass transit services (bus, trains, etc) require workers? E.g. like in Simcity 2013.

Simulation-wise, this DLC should bring Cities: Skylines on par with Simcity 4 with its pluses and minuses. But not yet at Rush Hour level. Still, not going to deny it though, I can't go back to Simcity 4 after playing Cities: Skylines, no matter how unpolished the game is.

On 3/9/2017 at 5:30 PM, rsc204 said:

Yes everyone must be happy, descenting voices will be drowned out because CO are the cat's pyjamas.

I'm sorry, I just am not happy. I liked the game, but the updates have brought little of substance so far. Everything feels unpolished and worst of all, so many bugs that are never going to be fixed.

When it arrived, memory usage hit 13GB in game, I don't have the assets to require anything like this. Frankly I didn't bother to try and resolve this problem, I just sighed and quit once more, to the familiar CTD because closing an application is apparently too much to ask of it? I don't know what's going on, but for me the game is a hideous broken mess. I've lost all interest in playing it that I once had.

I just want to build transport and have a functioning city around it. But if none of it really works, what's the point? I know, let's add yet more poorly functioning networks, that'll solve it! Even traffic flow is bizarre, the roads in-game aren't sufficient to keep up with traffic. The solution, install a mod and remove the traffic lights, now traffic flows properly? How is that not broken if simply removing the traffic lights makes it work? But since the entire simulation relies on traffic flow to work, that distilled becomes the essence of game play, traffic flow. Again I'm sorry, but I find that to be boring and tedious.

So much is right with the game, if only it functioned as it should, but it just doesn't. I want to love Cities Skylines, I want it to be the game it had the potential to be. But not all of us are so happy with the direction it's taken. Perhaps if we could debate these points without potshots being fired from all directions, it might actually prove beneficial? Instead I think most players are so focused with making eye candy cities that they've forgotten what makes games fun, the GAME part.

Uhh that 1 minute video....so boring

This was a stinker of a presentation- a masterclass in unprofessionalism and miscommunication. Any schoolkid could've done a better job. CO /Paradox staff would benefit from a basic presentation skills course or even investing in a copy of the "for dummies" book. It is extremely frustrating to sit through such garbage in order to try and decipher/spot the new features/content and functions of the expansion. A 40 minute rambling unfocused bumbling car wreck excuse for a presentation. Unfortunately this seems to be the norm for these events- no focus no structure and therefore utterly useless. Who is responsible for "planning" these events? Do they have an agenda or even bullet point the main elements they wish to communicate? What are the success criteria? Does any prep take place? Does anyone within either organisation review and evaluate the event? Absolutely shocking. If they don't have the skills to do this "in house" then it's about time they hired someone who has- and can deliver a successful presentation.