Exurbanite

Exurb's Main Street Americana Collection | Custom LOD Creation Guide Released

128 posts in this topic Last Reply

As said you can lighten the alpha background.

For my signs I duplicated the sign multiple times with about a 1cm gap, so it looks like it has depth, even though it's just a bunch of copies of the same plane.

You don't need the diffuse to have a background, it can be just a solid color with a bit of texture, and you can add some detail to the edges with bevel maybe.

You can download the entirety of bauhaus source files if you want as well: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6Ccf1N5h5f7b3FIYUZvUHRJbjg

Great guide! pretty sure the black spots created by LOD faces not directly on the mesh can be taken care of with the "distance" and "bias" settings. Sometimes it's a bit hard to find the right values to solve the problem but it works. Thank you for this guide!

A note on normal maps: Depending on the building, I would let Blender generate those as well, especially if you have complex roof shapes. The generated normal map is based on the angle difference of the LOD and detail mesh, so that the shadows of the 2 models are matching.

• Original Poster
  • @Lost_Gecko Thanks for the tip, I'll edit the guide to include this when I can. I want to prevent putting out faulty information.

@boformer Interesting...so to bake the LOD normal map would I just choose "Normals" instead of "Textures" from the Bake Mode menu? 

3 hours ago, Exurbanite said:

Interesting...so to bake the LOD normal map would I just choose "Normals" instead of "Textures" from the Bake Mode menu? 

I think so: https://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/blender/bake-normal-maps.php

It's also the best way to create a good looking normal map for the detailed model.

• Original Poster
  • Just thought I should make a little status report. I took a short break from asset creation to recharge and deal with upcoming IRL stuff. I'm getting back into it with a little redux project: False Lucidity's Americana houses. These houses are among my favorites on the workshop since I love making old American towns, but they have some major issues..namely the fact that they have no custom LODs and that they are grossly overscaled. Basically I'm doing a lot of mesh cleaning, rescaling, limited texture replacement, and general optimization; I figure that I can reduce the diffuse map sizes alone by at least 50%. I also plan to make two or three variants of each house (different colors and mirrored versions).

What is nice is that he has provided Google Drive files of the original asset resources...there are even a couple houses that haven't been released yet. Below is the neatest one IMO.

Spoiler

Untitled.jpg.04c3267ec49eb449834bdfb9013f45cb.jpg

I'm also thinking of making some detached garages to match paint schemes. 

Lastly, I've been working on a mindmap just to flesh out ideas and let those curious to know what I'm up to. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Lost_Gecko
        I've just released my first assets and I decided to create a post not because there is much to see, but rather because as an inexperienced modeler it will be a good place to collect feedback and ask for advice. (I would like to keep the forum clean from my numerous questions!)
        So my project is a modular medieval wall that is currently made out of 7 parts of a 6m high set. This is the short version, which is suitable for town walls, but a 12m set is planned. I might also do a 9m version but don't quote me on that.
        The wall parts are based on the great "stone wall" template of Sparks, so they can be placed freely and conform to terrain. I tried to make their stats balanced in terms of entertainment value. I wanted the towers to avoid flattening the terrain and as I'm not good with playing with building's properties, I went with a water tower template without stats. It's not the most convenient but it works. It's also worth noting that the assets only really work well with an anarchy mod (especially the gates that I made without roads for more freedom).
        Here is the link to the collection: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=718095394
        New short pieces and the tall set are on the way, but probably not before the end of July. You can leave suggestions or feedback so that I can improve my future assets!

• By Avanya
        So I figured I might as well make a topic here, as this is most likely not gonna be the last time I ask for you guys' oppinion.  If I remember, I'll post WIP and releases of my buildings here.
        My current project is a bus depot that fits the european theme and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out - but I've ended up with two sizes of it and I just can't decide which I like the best and could see myself using both. So I'd love some feedback - which you prefer or if it makes sense to upload both of them.
        The small one is about the same size as the default one and has the same stats. The large one has slightly higher stats, but as depots can spawn infinite busses there's no benefit to the bigger one. I purely made it this large as the ones I took inspiration from were this size or bigger.
        Picture time!  

• By ESP15
        The Socony-Mobil Building is a skyscraper at 150 East 42nd Street in Midtown Manhattan, New York City that was built in 1956. The 42-story New York City Landmark building stands 572 feet (174 m) tall and is known for its exterior walls that are completely clad with stainless steel
        The building, designed by prominent New York architects Harrison & Abramovitz, was completed in 1956. Mobil Oil Corporation was the anchor tenant, occupying half of the building from 1956 to 1987. The company had their previous headquarters on 26 Broadway.
        In 2003 its facade was designated as a Landmark by the Landmarks Preservation Commission, considered as "one of New York City's most striking skyscrapers". It was first skyscraper to have its exterior wall completely clad with stainless steel. When opened, it was also the largest air-conditioned building in the world.
        The building was acquired in April 2016 by real state investor David Werner for $900 million. It was previously owned by Hiro Real Estate Co., a Japanese investment firm., who put it on the market two years ago
        Landmark Version. 
        ESP15

El Socony-Mobil Building es un rascacielos en 150 East 42nd Street en Midtown Manhattan, Nueva York, que fue construido en 1956. El edificio de 42 pisos New York City Landmark mide 572 pies (174 m) de altura y es conocido por sus paredes exteriores que están completamente revestidos con acero inoxidable
        El edificio, diseñado por los prominentes arquitectos de Nueva York Harrison & Abramovitz, se completó en 1956. Mobil Oil Corporation fue el inquilino principal, ocupando la mitad del edificio desde 1956 hasta 1987. La compañía tenía su sede anterior en 26 Broadway.
        En 2003, su fachada fue designada como un punto de referencia por la Comisión de Preservación de Monumentos, considerada como "uno de los rascacielos más llamativos de la ciudad de Nueva York". Fue el primer rascacielos en tener su pared exterior completamente revestida de acero inoxidable. Cuando se abrió, también fue el edificio con aire acondicionado más grande del mundo.
        El edificio fue adquirido en abril de 2016 por el inversor inmobiliario David Werner por $ 900 millones. Anteriormente era propiedad de Hiro Real Estate Co., una empresa de inversión japonesa., Que lo lanzó al mercado hace dos años.
        Versión Landmark.
        ESP15

• By IL.
        Hi,

It's been some time since I came to Simtropolis, I only came every once in a while to check things out, and I noticed that Simtropolis have been slowly dying.
        The chat which is my favorite place rarely have anyone.
        I have some suggestions that can help revive Simtropolis to it's former glory, to make Simtropolis great again - pun inteded.

I'll break it into parts.
        The STEX: Choosing from the categories which game you would like to download stuff for is very annoying, simpler approach would be best, for exemple when you enter STEX you will have 3 clickable images, each one will take you to the STEX of the approprate game, for exemple a clickable image for SimCity 2013 STEX, another one for Cities skylines, and another one for SimCity 4, and more if there is.
        Currently when I choose to enter the STEX for SimCity 4 (or the other ones) the listing is using the webpage space very inefficiently, it looks messy and ugly, I liked Simtropolis as it was before, now the while website looks very messy and not inviting at all as it used to be, what happened? 
        On a positive side, I like the extra options that we now have to have a quicker access to see our activity in the forum or in the STEX, also the sorting options, those are great and can be useful for many.
        The Home Page: it looks messy, the featured city journals don't look as it used to be, and the frame of it is a little boring.
        The STEX Featured and the Newly Added Files sections look not as good as it used to be, the featured stuff images should be bigger to fill all that wasted empty space and maybe take those sections to the top of the home page right above or right under the featured city journals section or maybe on the side. Somewhere less far away from the top of the page.
        The "From  The Gallery" is not being used much and it's navigation is not inviting to use, as a proof for that you never find any like or comments on gallery images. It's a bit not user-friendly.
        Simtropolis Challenges Winners Podium section should be higher in the home page.
        Basically I think that you need to show the best stuff at the home page to impress and invite new comers and to make them stay, try to put best quality stuff and add more variations.

The Forums: The forums sections is fine and looks great, no problem there.

The City Journals: In just few words, it's ugly, it's a bit of a mess, it used to be better in the past, easier to navigate and easier to find stuff. 
        The chat: No problem there, but I have an idea to make it alive again, along with Simtropolis, everyone are mostly using smartphones now, why not an app for Simtropolis chat? Or an app that let players watch the city journals, the forums and enter the chat (they don't need to download from the STEX or anything, but maybe seeing the STEX files and commenting on them would also be useful), it should be a light app for quick use, people don't chat from PC as often as before.

I imagine something like a cross between Instagram but with a chatroom for everyone to chat in, something like messengers' pop out chat window that is easy to use and won't force you to quit any other running apps or to stop playing your game to type a word or two in chat. I think it will be a big update and would bring some life back to Simtropolis.

Also maybe some advertising for Simtropolis on Facebook or other places? Or simply Youtube videos? I don't know.. I'm just not sure what you can do about this, esspecially the funding for that.
        I also suggest to add a bit more ads to Simtropolis to bring more funding to your website to keep improving and doing the great work! Maybe a video ad from time to time, or an optional section of the website where members can watch ads or leave ads playing to help Simtropolis? Ads in a Simtropolis app that can be desabled by making a payment would make more sense.
        Another way to bring more funding to Simtropolis is to have a shop section where you sell game keys for Cities Skylines, SimCity 4, and the other city building games, and even strategy games like Age of Empires or Age of Mythology and others... basically concentrating on building games.

These are just my opinions
        All the best
      • By IL.
        This is from my city "Simtropolis" from a game called Designer city (available on the playstore and appstore).
        It's summer now, and what better place to be other than the beach?