32 posts in this topic Last Reply

3 hours ago, Fantozzi said:

Maybe it would be nice to see at a glance if it's an easy or an advanced mod ...

I like the general concept. I wonder how difficult the idea would be to implement from our standpoint.

Would you imagine this would be another required field for the uploader? Or would it be something a STEX reviewer would need to assign? What happens if a guru who's intimately familiar with loading custom content considers it easier than, say, me who's barely scratched the surface with CC? Like peeps who already have nearly all major texture dependencies installed could see a new item as quite simple since they already have the two dozen deps, but someone who just installed SC4 would find that item rather intimidating. And what about the zillion files already there? Would a team of peeps need to go thru every single one and assign the spoons difficulty level?

2 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

Would you imagine this would be another required field for the uploader?

You would separate the rating section in three parts: 1. appearance, 2. installation, 3. usage. Appearance would displayed as 'stars', installation and usage would be displayed inverse as difficulty. If a user rate installation 2 stars it would be displayed as difficulty level 4, one star difficulty level 5 etc.

Uploader can vote on 2 and 3 too, so can set an initial 'vote'.

What happens if a guru who's intimately familiar with loading custom content considers it easier than, say, me who's barely scratched the surface with CC?

I consider this logic artificial. You and @rsc204 and @T Wrecks and so many are gurus but at the same time have enough empathy to help not so experienced users and to understand their needs. Most people, if not all, are able to judge difficulty apart from personal abilities. You know that building a house is a more difficult task than building a kennel - without the need to have built one of them jet. But then - from where you know if you never did? I'm really not worried about that. I trust in peoples ability to make a difference between overall ratings and personal preferences. And to my experience - the more guru the better they can distinguish between their personal taste and common taste.

And what about the zillion files already there?

~20.000. You would start all of them with zero difficulty on installation and usage. Then we would start with the popular ones that need some explanation and where we have experience that it isn't that easy.Many downloads (bats with no dependencies) have zero difficulty in both and wouldn't need any further editing. I think of @Jasoncw's content - I can't remember a thing where usage or installation difficulty was above zero. So if you start with zero to all content and just edit where's need - an if you consider we aren't in a hurry and have many years to get it done, it isn't that much work.