AmiPolizeiFunk

Ami's Berlin: Assets (3 ferrying assets released)

269 posts in this topic Last Reply

2 options:

1. Assign values to each subbuilding on an "acceptable level", aka distribute over subs. 

2. Set everything 0 on subs, (fire, workers, garbage), so you wont have accesibility issues. Set important stuff on your "main" building, and distribute electricity and sewege in subs. 

2b. Corolary to 2,  you can set everything 0 on subs and use every values on single main building of your complex. 

• Original Poster
  • Okay, thx for making it clear to me about how it works. The asset now is totally borked and I'm working to fix it. I have most of the data in the right places, and I've managed to remove the multiple circles of noise pollution, but I'm still getting this weird price difference. The price of the base building is $150,000 and the noise pollution is 25 (like the High Interest Tower template), the prices of the other sub-buildings is zero. In Find It!, the price and pollution are shown to be $0 (which must be displaying what I used when compiling the buildings all-together):

20170519120710_1.thumb.jpg.d08a937523fe4c8b6d994c6436f4ead6.jpg

But when you hover to plop the building, it says $150,000 (the price of the base building):

20170519120724_1.thumb.jpg.78089058fd4e3e91a8345922631515bf.jpg

???

• Original Poster
  • nvm my last post. I've sorted it all out. This sub-building thing is a bit tricky on your first time!

In the end I went with this solution:

A. base building and 4 sub-buildings: all "Gameplay common" stats zero, all common stats at the bottom zero, 1/4th stats for "Tourist", "Water", "Workers"

B. complete assembled complex: total values for "Gameplay common" (contruction cost, garbage, maintenence), zero for Tourist/Water/Workers, and total stats for common stuff at the bottom (attractiveness, entertainment, noise)

It was important to have to price, maintenance, and pollution in the complete complex so that the data matches when you hover on the building in the menu. I also figured out how to center the entertainment and noise pollution circles.. they seem to be centered on the bottom right side of the complete complex plot, which I reduced to 4x10.  Funny that I started trying my darndest to make the plot 20x10 in the editor, then finally realized that you don't need to and that's never been the intention, then in the end realized that a narrow plot is actually better (I selected 4x10 instead of 14x10) because it will center the circles. What a learning process. :golly:

• Original Poster
  • Alex_BY has given me permission to do an update on his glorious Reichstag model. Semi-transparent dome, I'm looking at you!

Berlin_-_Reichstag_building_at_night_-_2

I might do an interior on the front facade as well. This will be a 1:1 version. Any tips or ideas before I start are welcomed.

• Original Poster
  • I'm trying to do a sunken stadium. I found the script that switches to the fence shader. So now I've got this:

mLw8yJm.jpg

I used the "cut hole in terrain" tool and now I can see the part under the 11x14 grid. How do I see the rest? I'm hoping there is an easier way than cutting this project into six 11x14 sub-buildings?

• Original Poster
  • OK nvm all that. I found the Griffith observatory thread where Ronyx gives the noBase shader script.

var shader = Shader.Find("Custom/Buildings/Building/NoBase");
    var asset = ToolsModifierControl.toolController.m_editPrefabInfo as BuildingInfo;
    if(asset.m_material != null) asset.m_material.shader = shader;
    if(asset.m_lodMaterial != null) asset.m_lodMaterial.shader = shader;

We really need a better way to organize this kind of information!

TLSR7eq.jpg

On 2017-05-30 at 11:17 AM, Avanya said:

I'm working on a steam guide with all the different scripts in one place and a little description of how/when to use them.

That's great! Good thinking! :D

• Original Poster
  • I'm having some issues with two of the 2k triangles in my stadium model. For some reason, I don't think the nobase shader is working 100%. It's working everwhere but on these two triangles (one on each side). In a sick twist of fate, I'm getting a flickery wrong-texture that looks almost exactly like the one I was getting on the Panda pit. I've checked the model and there is only one triangle there... but we see two (one correctly textured, flickering vs. the other which is just using the entire top half of my diffuse map).

uHduHpn.jpg

What is going on here and how do I KILL IT!??!

The nobase shader doesn't disable the mesh generation of the base, just the extension and texture of it.

You have vertices ending exactly at 0, which is where the base mesh is generated.

Move it slightly above or below 0.

• Original Poster
  • Great tip, thx @Ronyx69!

My next issue is these damn lights. I first tried a bunch of floodlights pointed forwards, but they totally failed to light up the field. I'm trying to devise other ways to light the field now.

tTxvTgU.jpg

Oh and I released the "look pretty but don't function for squat" floodlights:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=937209883

• Original Poster
  • The building became a big battle when I decided to normal map the tiny seats and get them to fit properly in the oval. The war is over now and although I'm bruised and battered, I feel like I came out on top.

IjzQqMy.jpg

I've decided to bite the bullet and cut the stadium into 6 parts so that I can go crazy with props and lighting.

PQuRVKx.jpg

Now I have to make a decision, and I seek your advice. I have two options with regards to it being a sunken asset. Which do you think I should go with?

A. Use the "Cut a Hole" tool to make the ground transparent so you can look down into the sunken part through the actual ground.

or

B. Make it so that you have to excavate the sunken part yourself with the Terrain tools

(A) is easier to plop for the layman, but (B) provides more freedom with additional prop placement. You can't sink props below the ground if you go w option A.

What do you guys think?

• Original Poster
  • Ok, I guess I'll go with that then.

Next question: If I put my custom props in the sub-buildings, is it true that I don't need to have any dependencies when I publish the asset, since all of the sub-buildings and their props are embedded within the main asset? Or do the sub-buildings still call on props from your collection?

5 hours ago, AmiPolizeiFunk said:

all of the sub-buildings and their props are embedded within the main asset?

If you're using the vanilla sub-building tool, the sub-buildings are embedded into the main building asset.

Props are never embedded, they are seperate assets, they will "call for" whatever you placed, so you need to use props from the workshop.
    You can publish the building and the props first, then subscribe, put the props on your building, and then update the workshop item so that the props are included in the same workshop item, they will always be seperate asset files though.

• Original Poster
  • For some reason, when I was compiling the Park Inn, I could place a prop on a side of the main building, then move it way out to the sub-buildings (beyond the zoning) and the prop would still be there, and it actually worked. Now, I can't seem to do that any more. I don't know if I did something different this time around or if something changed with the patch. I'm trying to use the sub-building template from the Airport extension this time (it seems much easier as this template has no slots for all of the game stats) -- I'm not sure if that may be what is stopping my props from sticking.  There are certain props (the lights, mainly), that I would like to place when the 6 parts are all together. It's too hard to line them up and point them if I have to try to do it blind while I'm making each sub-building. In the pic below, I placed the elevated floodlights after plopping the building in-game.

Nothing is ever easy, is it?

DBfah8XXsAAZslz.jpg:large

32 minutes ago, AmiPolizeiFunk said:

For some reason, when I was compiling the Park Inn, I could place a prop on a side of the main building, then move it way out to the sub-buildings (beyond the zoning) and the prop would still be there, and it actually worked. Now, I can't seem to do that any more. I don't know if I did something different this time around or if something changed with the patch. I'm trying to use the sub-building template from the Airport extension this time (it seems much easier as this template has no slots for all of the game stats) -- I'm not sure if that may be what is stopping my props from sticking.  There are certain props (the lights, mainly), that I would like to place when the 6 parts are all together. It's too hard to line them up and point them if I have to try to do it blind while I'm making each sub-building. In the pic below, I placed the elevated floodlights after plopping the building in-game.

Nothing is ever easy, is it?

I noticed that as well, plopping assets to sub buildings is not working anymore for my case. 

• Original Poster
  • I spent the day cutting the building into 6 pieces, re-positioning them all, importing them all as "Airport Apron" template sub-buildings, and then compiling them back into one object. I made sure to uncheck "flatten terrain" on every sub-building and on the main building, but now it is doing this to the terrain:

oL6vSBS.jpg

Here are my settings for each sub-building (Airport Apron template):

iFvRMIF.jpg

Here are my settings for the main building (Stadium monument template):

OZebLdN.jpg

I feel like I'm going backwards instead of forwards! How can I make it not deform the terrain like that? When it was just one building that was way bigger than its zone, it wouldn't do that. But ofc in that situation I can't place any props outside of the zone. :(

• Original Poster
  • I think there is an aspect of sub-buildings that ignores the unticked "flatten terrain" button... because they are still flattening the terrain. :(

You could use a rotated or circular plot for your sub buildings.

I thought of that too. The trick will be making the plot big enough that I can place props, but small enough that I can hide the f'ed-up terrain under my geometry. Honestly it sounds like a nightmare and I'm getting pretty fed up right now. I never intended much of my grass slope to be seen... I hoped to cover as much of that as possible with actual game terrain. 

• Original Poster
  • I tried both ideas, neither worked.

TYqHbq7.jpg

7Wy6I39.jpg

bN6N6Y9.jpg

It must generate some kind of terrain flattening perimeter (that doesn't care how big your sub-building zone is) when it compiles the sub-buildings into the main asset. :(

I'm fresh out of ideas on this one.

You can try setting the AI of the buildings to BuildingAI (that's what the AI is actually called, just BuildingAI).

Buildings using that AI don't deform terrain and can be sunken all the way underground, it's used for vanilla pillars.

The downside is rain and snow effects don't appear on it. I'm using it for my tunnel assets.

I'm not sure if it will help with all that sub-building setup you have, but you can try,

• Original Poster
  • I feel like this thing is inches from being finished. I've got the whole sub-building compiled and the 100+ props placed. Sorted out lots of tiny issues, but this one has got me stumped.... my LOD is flickering like crazy on the field level! It's as if I left two planes on top of each other, but I've double checked my LODs and there is only one plane there. I thought it might be z-fighting with the terrain, but that's not the case because I lowered the terrain significantly and it's still flickering. The LODs only have two textures: diffuse and illumination. Any ideas?

Ajci40J.jpg

Could that plane be fighting with some part of the noBase geometry that I can't see? It's nowhere near zero (it's a few meters below zero).