Cyclone Boom

STEX Issues - Community Report Thread

64 posts in this topic Last Reply

8 minutes ago, JP Schriefer said:

I don't know if another moderator edited it, but it looks perfectly normal here.

I just looked at it in both IE 11 and Chrome and this is what I'm seeing:

Kansas Place Capture.JPG

9 minutes ago, RandyE said:

I just looked at it in both IE 11 and Chrome and this is what I'm seeing:

To me firefox looks okay. Chrome not.

4 minutes ago, Fantozzi said:

To me Chrome ( 58.0.3029.110) and firefox look okay.

Okay I'll update from 57.0.2987.133 (64-bit) to  ( 58.0.3029.110) and try again, thanks.   I just looked at it with Safari and its okay.  Don't have FF installed right now. 

2 minutes ago, RandyE said:

Okay I'll update from 57.0.2987.133 (64-bit) to  ( 58.0.3029.110) and try again, thanks.   I just looked at it with Safari and its okay.  Don't have FF installed right now. 

Nope sorry. False statement by me. I'm terrible sorry - it's only ff has a smaller letter size. But when I zoom down ff window it's the same on ff. Seems the column can't be resized.

@RandyE I tested it on Firefox and IE and it looks fine. I don't use Chrome to test with it as well. However I noticed that when I change the zoom level (Ctrl + on Firefox) the same 'problem' happens. Can you check if your pages are in the default zoom (100%) ?
Fantozzi beated me, but I'll let the image as an illustration *:P (BTW, is beated a real word?)

TIBT8Jf.png

@Fantozzi Fixed! Thank you :)

5 minutes ago, JP Schriefer said:

@RandyE I tested it on Firefox and IE and it looks fine. I don't use Chrome to test with it as well. However I noticed that when I change the zoom level (Ctrl + on Firefox) the same 'problem' happens. Can you check if your pages are in the default zoom (100%) ?
Fantozzi beated me, but I'll let the image as an illustration *:P (BTW, is beated a real word?)

I updated chrome and set zoom to 100%, there's still a bit of an overlap, but when I set IE 11 to 100% the overlap is gone.  Fantozzi was throwing beets again? :)  He's always got a beet with something :) 

2 minutes ago, CorinaMarie said:

Should be somewhat better now. Table 1 data is missing from the original.

A lot better now, thanks.

• Original Poster
  • 27 minutes ago, RandyE said:

This File Page needs some fixin'

Thanks, the fixin' has been fixed! *;)

In doing so I added the truncated lot information from the included readme file, and also re-formatted the formatting. I get the feeling tables are nearly always to blame for the broken layouts. Either that or copying directly from Word (which brings lots of other useless proprietary HTML with it).

I'm still hoping at least the layouts can be fixed via an automated process. In theory, all it'd need is a script to go through and update the descriptions. This wouldn't restore missing data, but would at least add back functionality.

2 hours ago, Cyclone Boom said:

I'm still hoping at least the layouts can be fixed via an automated process.

Most of what I'm finding seems to be tables where the cells are out of order, and when I look at the source code of the HTML pages, they're quite messy with the code disorganized and lots of white spaces.   I wonder if running the pages through an HTML Tidy kind of program that organizes the code and indicates HTML code errors would do for most of the 'borked' pages?  

• Original Poster
  • 5 hours ago, RandyE said:

Most of what I'm finding seems to be tables where the cells are out of order, and when I look at the source code of the HTML pages, they're quite messy with the code disorganized and lots of white spaces.

Yes, from my observations also, there does seem a pattern with missing tags in the code. In turn causing pages to behave unexpectedly.

5 hours ago, RandyE said:

I wonder if running the pages through an HTML Tidy kind of program that organizes the code and indicates HTML code errors would do for most of the 'borked' pages?

Nice, I've actually used Tidy on occasions. It's a nifty little tool, removing all the bloat and is great for consistency.

The site does happen to include a filter called HTML Purifier. This parses all posted content upon submission. In the process ensuring the code meets the required standards, and fixing up any errors or removing unwanted data along the way. It explains why simply saving files usually resolves the major underlying formatting issues. That suggests whenever the site upgraded, the process to re-parse malformed data failed miserably, or wasn't implemented.

Now this is in place, what it requires is the system to go through and update each file, just as done when we manually edit & save. That way the purifier is used in the process. Ideally this could be achieved without physically updating a file's "Updated" time field.

Then the focus could turn to adding back missing data, improving areas of formatting where needed, and fixing up invalid dependency links. As each file is a case in its own right, all that would have to be a manual effort. Of course where there is consistency, that's where the power of automation is very useful indeed.

I'm having two problems with downloading today unfortunately. First, in pages that need other bats as a dependency the usual rectangle has a spinning wheel of death, may be internet I don't know. Second, when clicking on dependency links on the page it just reloads page or opening it in new tab get same page in new tab.

• Original Poster
  • 22 hours ago, coolsim1 said:

I'm having two problems with downloading today unfortunately. First, in pages that need other bats as a dependency the usual rectangle has a spinning wheel of death, may be internet I don't know. Second, when clicking on dependency links on the page it just reloads page or opening it in new tab get same page in new tab.

Please let us know if there are any particular examples of these issues. That way it'll become clearer whether this is limited to a small sample of files, or whether it's more widespread across the STEX. The dependency links may well be broken and need manually fixing.

• Original Poster
  • File Issues Fixed!   

I'm pleased to confirm that following my post here, the various issues affecting the STEX have now been successfully resolved. This includes broken layouts, formatting errors & unparsed BBCode, which caused files to be malformed or not displayed as the author intended. Also more recently, the missing URLs broken as a result of the initial attempt to fix the above -- these have also been restored and merged into the formatted descriptions.

As they were rebuilt via a batch process, it's possible there may be a few descriptions which could still be formatted better. Such as excessive spacing or tables missing data. For these or anything else, please let us know either in this thread, or using the dedicated 'Report' function on files and we'll correct them manually.

Still, the overwhelming good news is such files should now finally be in a much, much better state than they were previously, without any major defects.

*:thumb: