Jump to content

454 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

While I currently have no idea how to make buildings, it is something that I may pursue in the future. That is, if I can determine whether or not my digital copy (no physical disk) of Sim City 4 allows it. (Can anyone confirm whether I can even try?)

I have decided to undergo a few relots of existing buildings. Any suggestions for props and/or improvements will be gladly welcomed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • Any suggestions for improvement or additional props are welcome. Let me know if anyone is interested in these relots for download.

    Project #1 is a relot nos17's CVS. While I do like the existing lot, I simply wanted to shrink down the lot footprint to make it fit in other areas. 

    Test World-Jan. 25, 001486485706.png

    Project #2 is a relot of budweiserdude23's Kmart.

    Test World-Jan. 25, 001486485981.png

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Ilike the iniciative! Small footprints are the key to credible non-US cities: lots of gamers will be grateful of your efforts.

    Just a suggestion: you could check KOSC parking textures, maybe something there could be useful, mainly for growables.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • 59 minutes ago, Yarahi said:

    For your texture/prop needs - don't forget to check the Catalog

    It is not close to a complete set, but it covers the most commonly used packs ;)

    Appreciate this. Time to make an account there. :)

    Also, are the KOSC parking lots an overlay or base texture? I can't seem to find them....

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, RRetail said:

    Also, are the KOSC parking lots an overlay or base texture? I can't seem to find them....

    They are overlay textures. To use them on your own lots, you need to have the textures themselves, not the lots, to show up in the LE/PIMX.

    It's always nice to see people take my (well, B62's) creations and customize them to their purposes. Keep it up!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    3 hours ago, RRetail said:

    The Kmart relot has been added to the STEX:

    Very nice!  People stepping out give me a little more motivation to tackle the whole lotting/batting thing myself.  I've been a chicken thus far but this helps push a little to try my hand.  Thanks!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • On 2/7/2017 at 4:47 PM, nos.17 said:

    They are overlay textures. To use them on your own lots, you need to have the textures themselves, not the lots, to show up in the LE/PIMX.

    It's always nice to see people take my (well, B62's) creations and customize them to their purposes. Keep it up!

    Well do I feel dumb.... Of course the textures are needed. :idea:

    23 hours ago, MeMyself&I said:

    Very nice!  People stepping out give me a little more motivation to tackle the whole lotting/batting thing myself.  I've been a chicken thus far but this helps push a little to try my hand.  Thanks!

    Glad to hear that. I had been thinking about it, but only just took the dive myself.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • Here's a few more completed projects at the moment. Any suggestions?

    Project #3 DK1's Bank of America

    Turned the lot from a 3x2 lot to a 2x3 lot. 

    Untitled.jpg

    Project #4 Budweiserdude23's Tim Hortons

    3x3 lot. Nice suggestion with the parking textures. This was is one of my favorites so far.

    Untitled.jpg

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • Project #6 Nos17's Wawa Gas Station

    3x3 lot instead of the previous 4x4.

    Untitled.jpg

    I also did a simple relot of JaWood's Olive Garden making it into a 2x2 lot with no parking. While I'm not considering this an official project,  I thought I would still share it in case anyone is interested.

    Untitled.jpg

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • Someone is having an issue downloading my Kmart relot. Can anyone help me to determine what a damaged file is?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I've posted in the comments of the download, so far as I can tell there is nothing actually wrong with the file. Hard to help without more information really.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • I have bad news.

    I have determined that I sadly will not be able to BAT anything. My version of the game was an online code through Origin, so I am unable to install the BAT program. I guess I'll be sticking to relots.

    I'm glad to see everyone enjoying the relots I've done so far. Thanks!

    Might look into making the Kmart relot ploppable and do some further tweaking to it. The reason it is not a ploppable relot is because I choose the wrong file! :} 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, RRetail said:

    I have determined that I sadly will not be able to BAT anything. My version of the game was an online code through Origin, so I am unable to install the BAT program. I guess I'll be sticking to relots.

    I'd keep an eye out for a sale, I paid only 2,49€ for my digital copy from GoG in one. Typically the cost is under $5/£5/5€ in such a sale and all the major vendors have one every 6 months to a year. Otherwise, if you can pick up the disk version cheaply, you can use that to install SC4 BAT too. You probably won't be able to use the disks to play, but it will install. Obviously it depends on how much you actually want to make BAT models, but the point is the cost of a suitable version needn't be a limiting factor.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Have you considered doing a relot of BLaM Walmart by Creator? The lot has no Parking. Plz, maybe put a restaurant in the lot if possible like McDonalds or KFC. both on here also. great work anyways.

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Whoa, much going on here!

    First of all, let me say that I think you're improving, and I really like to see relots of existing buildings, so a big :thumb: for you!

    Now my thoughts on the individual relots:

    DK1's Bank of America: good one in principle, but the drive-thru in the back kinda makes it necessary to have a defined entrance and exit, and a possibility to drive around the building. Therefore, the symmetrical layout of the original made sense. Maybe you could use the SHK/KOSC parking textures to great effect here! I'd avoid putting up streetlights pointing towards the road, though. The road will have streetlights automatically, and users of lighting mods may experience undesired effects when the light cones blend into each other too much. If you do use these streetlights, I'd turn them around, making them point inwards.

    Nos.17's WaWa gas station: I think the arrangement is too tight on a 3x3 lot. Leaving one pump island out can work, but I think a 3x4 would be needed. You could also look into a lighter ground texture that would help blur the line between BAT and lot. Oh, and that grass strip to the left: I guess it would be in the way if you were to drive off after refueling. How about this idea: Make it a corner lot, put the sign to the bottom left corner (this is where the intersection would be) and move the pump island to the right.

    JaWood's OIive Garden: I like how you turned the area in front into a cosy-looking corner that invites people to sit down and relax. The problem is, the area is right in front of the main entrance, and you might not want clutter there.

    If I may make a suggestion and since BLaM has been mentioned anyway, do you know the retail buildings that MarcosMX has made for that team? There's some sweet stuff among these, but the buildings seem to have slipped completely under the radar. I hope this link works.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • 16 hours ago, rsc204 said:

    I'd keep an eye out for a sale, I paid only 2,49€ for my digital copy from GoG in one. Typically the cost is under $5/£5/5€ in such a sale and all the major vendors have one every 6 months to a year. Otherwise, if you can pick up the disk version cheaply, you can use that to install SC4 BAT too. You probably won't be able to use the disks to play, but it will install. Obviously it depends on how much you actually want to make BAT models, but the point is the cost of a suitable version needn't be a limiting factor.

    I'll keep an eye out for it, but I don't think I'm going to go out of my way. (At least for now.) Though I really wanted to make an updated Dollar General....

    1 hour ago, T Wrecks said:

    Whoa, much going on here!

    First of all, let me say that I think you're improving, and I really like to see relots of existing buildings, so a big :thumb: for you!

    Now my thoughts on the individual relots:

    DK1's Bank of America: good one in principle, but the drive-thru in the back kinda makes it necessary to have a defined entrance and exit, and a possibility to drive around the building. Therefore, the symmetrical layout of the original made sense. Maybe you could use the SHK/KOSC parking textures to great effect here! I'd avoid putting up streetlights pointing towards the road, though. The road will have streetlights automatically, and users of lighting mods may experience undesired effects when the light cones blend into each other too much. If you do use these streetlights, I'd turn them around, making them point inwards.

    Nos.17's WaWa gas station: I think the arrangement is too tight on a 3x3 lot. Leaving one pump island out can work, but I think a 3x4 would be needed. You could also look into a lighter ground texture that would help blur the line between BAT and lot. Oh, and that grass strip to the left: I guess it would be in the way if you were to drive off after refueling. How about this idea: Make it a corner lot, put the sign to the bottom left corner (this is where the intersection would be) and move the pump island to the right.

    JaWood's OIive Garden: I like how you turned the area in front into a cosy-looking corner that invites people to sit down and relax. The problem is, the area is right in front of the main entrance, and you might not want clutter there.

    If I may make a suggestion and since BLaM has been mentioned anyway, do you know the retail buildings that MarcosMX has made for that team? There's some sweet stuff among these, but the buildings seem to have slipped completely under the radar. I hope this link works.

    Thank you for the suggestions.

    I never really gave much thought about the streetlights, so I'm glad you pointed those out to me. I admit that the 3x3 footprint of the Wawa is a little crowded,  so yeah, I will probably play around with that some more. I honestly didn't change much about the Olive Garden, but upon your suggestions, I can take it further....

    Oh and yes I am aware of MarcosMX's buildings. I have a few myself.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • How do these look?

    Untitled.jpg

    Remains a 2x3 lot

    Untitled.jpg

    Actually upped the lot for CVS to 4x4

    Untitled.jpg

    Still a 3x3 Wawa plot, but I like this version better.

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    13 hours ago, Evanjs said:

    Have you considered doing a relot of BLaM Walmart by Creator? The lot has no Parking. Plz, maybe put a restaurant in the lot if possible like McDonalds or KFC. both on here also. great work anyways.

     

    I may possibly look into relotting that one since you asked. :D

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • Anyone know how to add/remove transit enabled spaces? The Blam Walmart lot is entirely made of them. Don't think that would work well if parking textures are to be used.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    They're a huge improvement. Everything looks a lot smoother and neater. I would watch out for two things on CVS though: you are inconsistent with the texture style (e.g. use both the $ and $$$ on the same lot - stick to one for a more consistent look), and there are gaps on the right side (you seem to be using the texture with only 3 spots per tile...use the ones with 4 - they'll be at the very start of the list of textures). Concerning Wawa, I'm also not entirely convinced by those SHK white hash props. They contrast too much with the dark concrete IMHO and they look out of place. This more applies to the ones around the propane tank - the ones in front are not as bad.

    Still, even with what I suggested above, you are making fantastic progress and I will definitely be checking back here to see more!

    Edit: for TE lots, SC4Tool is probably the easiest option. Its what I use. If you need any assistance, I'd be more than happy to provide it.


      Edited by nos.17  

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • 3 minutes ago, nos.17 said:

    They're a huge improvement. Everything looks a lot smoother and neater. I would watch out for two things on CVS though: you are inconsistent with the texture style (e.g. use both the $ and $$$ on the same lot - stick to one for a more consistent look), and there are gaps on the right side (you seem to be using the texture with only 3 spots per tile...use the ones with 4 - they'll be at the very start of the list of textures). Concerning Wawa, I'm also not entirely convinced by those SHK white hash props. They contrast too much with the dark concrete IMHO and they look out of place. This more applies to the ones around the propane tank - the ones in front are not as bad.

    Still, even with what I suggested above, you are making fantastic progress and I will definitely be checking back here to see more!

    The parking line textures have a tendency to confuse me if you can't tell!

    Those hash props do kind of stand out now that you mention it.

    Since these are minor adjustments, I'll be sure to do them. And thanks!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Personally I think I would have expanded the Olive Garden to a 3x3 or 4x4 w/ parking.

    Also not your fault but on the Wawa the angle of the pumps makes it look like it would be hard to navigate.

     

    I love the direction you're going in w/ your lots though, theirs a lot of older buildings that could use updating, my suggestion is to look at Baco or Joerg's stuff.

    In particular I'd love to see this updated.

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • 2 hours ago, DavidDHetzel said:

    Personally I think I would have expanded the Olive Garden to a 3x3 or 4x4 w/ parking.

    Also not your fault but on the Wawa the angle of the pumps makes it look like it would be hard to navigate.

     

    I love the direction you're going in w/ your lots though, theirs a lot of older buildings that could use updating, my suggestion is to look at Baco or Joerg's stuff.

    In particular I'd love to see this updated.

     

    I'm nowhere complete with Olive Garden. Keep in mind nothing on this page is final.

    That Walmart, classic McDonald's, etc. are begging for a relot. Not sure about the Burger King and other restaurants though as others here on the STEX have newer buildings. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    It's looking good. I especially like the outdoor garden center area. It just fits really well next to the shape of the building. Nicely done.

    The parking lot layouts in both are nice - I can see you're getting more used to using KOSC's set with every lot. With the Olive Garden lot, there are pieces used to end that D-type parking (0xFa04d35 and the like), and using those should give you a much smoother appearance, especially in the corner with the interestingly-placed FA3 end. I do kind of like how the pieces meet up in the upper corner on the bottom right tile (next to the blue truck), so change that at your discretion. Not that you need my approval, but I like what you did for theWalmart parking.

    I would, however, like to point out one more thing I don't like: it's your use of LBT cars with KOSC parking. In my opinion, I would stick to one or the other. Use the LBT cars with LBT parking textures or BSC Simgoober's parking textures (they're meant for cars sized the same as LBT), or use KOSC's parking textures with SHK or VIP cars. One or the other. The mixing of the two looks bad in my opinion. I know scale does not matter to some, but my OCD doesn't like it. same thing with the restaurant and Walmart: the scale is all out of whack. I'm not too sure what you can do about that one, but you could fiddle around with the Model Tweaker if you like. It's the easiest tool to use for that sort of thing.

    Overall, you've taken bounds and leaps with your lotting skills. Excellent.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • 14 hours ago, nos.17 said:

    It's looking good. I especially like the outdoor garden center area. It just fits really well next to the shape of the building. Nicely done.

    The parking lot layouts in both are nice - I can see you're getting more used to using KOSC's set with every lot. With the Olive Garden lot, there are pieces used to end that D-type parking (0xFa04d35 and the like), and using those should give you a much smoother appearance, especially in the corner with the interestingly-placed FA3 end. I do kind of like how the pieces meet up in the upper corner on the bottom right tile (next to the blue truck), so change that at your discretion. Not that you need my approval, but I like what you did for theWalmart parking.

    I would, however, like to point out one more thing I don't like: it's your use of LBT cars with KOSC parking. In my opinion, I would stick to one or the other. Use the LBT cars with LBT parking textures or BSC Simgoober's parking textures (they're meant for cars sized the same as LBT), or use KOSC's parking textures with SHK or VIP cars. One or the other. The mixing of the two looks bad in my opinion. I know scale does not matter to some, but my OCD doesn't like it. same thing with the restaurant and Walmart: the scale is all out of whack. I'm not too sure what you can do about that one, but you could fiddle around with the Model Tweaker if you like. It's the easiest tool to use for that sort of thing.

    Overall, you've taken bounds and leaps with your lotting skills. Excellent.

    Thanks, and I'm glad you know the texture needed for Olive Garden! 

    Appreciate the feedback for using other car props. I will change that as I am slightly bothered by it too.

    Personally, I thought the size of the Friendly's was reasonable when compared to the Walmart. I may around with that a little, but we'll see where it goes.

    Edit: Having messed around with Model tweaker, I don't think I'll be changing the model. (Unless you or someone else can help me understand it better.) The whole setup there is a little confusing to me especially since you have no idea to see what you are changing.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an Account  

    Sign up to join our friendly community. It's easy!  

    Register a New Account

    Sign In  

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now


    • Similar Content

      • By MisterBlueStar4
        So I've see that we all have shopping areas we like to share but wouldn't fit in the right topic so here it is.Now show us your shopping areas!
      • By SimGoober
        Ever been to a Chinese Takeout, where things were just "not right"? Well, welcome to Sum Ting Wong. There are some shady deals going on here, not enough for the police to really crack down, but just enough that they aren't healthy for the neighborhood.
         Lot Details and Information Growable Versions : The growable versions of this lot will be built by your Sims when the appropriate zone is provided.
        Lot size: 1 x 3, 1 x 2 tiles , Commercial Services Building Style(s): New York, Chicago, Houston, Euro Growth Stage: 2 Occupants: 15 Cs Dependency: BSC Essentials (v1.0)
        Cori Edit: Tweaked font size from itty bitty to readable and added dependency linky.
      • By aciaKa
        Good Day Guys,
        I love random placing commercial buildings like these below. But when the city runs abit for a while. It turns like all buildings look the same..


        Like this... Below here are the commercial buildings I dont want to see.. is there anyway to stop having the same re building buildings... I like to see random and not all the same in a row...
        btw I am using a plop mod that allows to force $$ to build the city.


      • By Wiotbilu
        Hey guys, I tried to look for CS $ a CO $ from stage 1 to download, but I did not find, do you know any? because I want to use BlockAllBuildings am CS and CO, but I can not find them in stage 1, so they can grow later, because Maxis's are not beautiful, because I like European style, so it does not mix, it can also be W2W, I love it W2W, can anyone fix me?
      • By Moses Zal
        Hey guys. I got a question. I hope you can help me. Regarding the stats of stores
        http://www.wiki.sc4devotion.com/index.php?title=Stores
        This building grows on every density, does this building have the same stats with low, medium, and high density? It doesn't make any sense to have the same number of employees with small, medium, and high density.
        Andrews Fashion Center for instance is a building that also grows on low density and provide more than 200 jobs. It doesn't make any sense. http://www.wiki.sc4devotion.com/index.php?title=Andrews_Fashion_Center
        Edit: Maybe the number of § jobs is the one which increase with every density? Is there a way to know how much § jobs every density building provide if that's the case?
    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×

    Help Keep Simtropolis Online, Open & Free!

    stexcollection-header.png

    Get the best of the best from the STEX!

    Expand your city with the best from the Simtropolis Echange. Make a donation and get one or all three discs today!

    Make a Donation, Get a Gift!

    We need to continue to raise enough money each month to pay for expenses which includes hardware, bandwidth, software licenses, support licenses and other necessary 3rd party costs.

    By way of a "Thank You" gift, we'd like to send you our STEX Collector's DVD. It's some of the best buildings, lots, maps and mods collected for you over the years. Check out the STEX Collections for more info.

    Each donation helps keep Simtropolis online, open and free!

    Thank you for reading and enjoy the site!

    More About STEX Collections