5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

Simtropolis Challenges - Season 3 Logo

Animation Challenge - 
Create an animated image from your city - 
Season 3 - Challenge #25 - Extended (25 days) - 

Results Announced Here!

Thanks to @philforhockey51 for the challenge idea.

So far, challenges have involved submitting static images from your cities. While there's been many creative and lifelike scenes, a picture is just a snapshot of a single moment in time. But when you take multiple snapshots and put them together, it adds a whole new dimension. Animation helps to reveal change, show action, and as we've seen from the many films, can build emotional appeal.

Alongside City Showcase, the final challenge of Season 3 involves creating an animated image, presenting an urban or rural scene.

Aim to make it concise but also interesting and memorable. It could even be something humorous. It's your choice what direction you'd like to take, and how the animation is composed. The sequence could represent action in real time, or as a sped up timelapse. It should run for around 5-20 seconds -- we're not asking for a short film here! *:P

There are a number of ways to create the animation. Some video capture tools allow a recording to be exported as an animated image. If using SimCity 4, you could use the 'recorder' function to capture and extract the frames. Then a software package could be used for the final composition.

See the Possible Ideas section below for a few examples.

This is an  Extended  challenge running for 25 days.

Submission Requirements

1. Your image is animated (e.g. GIF), and portrays a rural or urban scene.

2. You may use any city-building game -- including SimCity 4, Cities: Skylines, SimCity (2013), and CitiesXL / XXL.

3. Please submit only one image for this challenge.
    However, you may link a larger version of the same image in the description, or post in the comments section. Please see this post for clarification.

4. For the purpose of voting, please check your image has a full title & description.

5. Your image must be created solely by yourself, without any assistance from anyone else.

6. To qualify for entry, please ensure your image is uploaded to the submissions category, and complies with these requirements.

Possible Ideas

Here are a few ideas to get you started, just giving examples of ways to go about this challenge:

Note: The following is not a complete list, or a requirement:

• A timelapse, showing a dramatic change in the landscape / terrain (e.g coastal erosion)
  • Construction of buildings
  • Urban development over time
  • Trees growing or receding (deforestation)
  • People or vehicles moving around
  • A common scene (e.g city street, local community)
  • An rare or unusual scene (e.g. riot, car chase)
  • A recreational or sporting activity
  • Day to night transition
  • Fireworks display
  • An activity in the countryside
  • A fire spreading
  • Fire plane extinguishing a forest fire
  • A rescue attempt
  • An extreme natural event

Leaderboard Rankings  *:read:

A new leaderboard system is currently running for this season. This has been designed to incorporate all challenges, linking with each set of results.

Each place in a challenge has points on offer -- the higher you finish, the more points you gain. Then at the end of the season, prizes will be given out to the top 10 in the final standings, with the winner being crowned the Grand Champion! *:ducky:

This  Extended  challenge is eligible for the "Overall" and "Weekly & Extended" leaderboards.

Full details and the current standings can be viewed in the following topic:

The winners will be the top 3 ranked images after a 6 day voting period. Reputation prizes will be awarded based on the number of entries, and the overall average rating. See this topic for more info.

For this  Extended  challenge, rep prizes will be given for the top 3 placed entries, along with points for the "Overall" and "Weekly & Extended" leaderboards.

Good luck everyone! *:)

• Original Poster
  • VOTING NOW OPEN!
    Please visit the challenge album to cast your votes! :read:

Voting will be open for 6 days.

Voting Rules

1. Votes may be cast by rating images inside the album.
    2. You may rate all entries once at any rating value (1-5). All votes are anonymous.
    3. We encourage you not to rate your own entry.
    4. Try to vote on all other entries, as this will help ensure the results are evenly distributed.

Suggested Voting Criteria

Here are some ideas to help you evaluate each entry when voting:

• How well does the animation portray the chosen sequence of action?
    • How accurate are the transitions between frames?
    • Does it appear interesting?
    • The effort you think has gone into producing the animation.
    • To what extent does it create visual appeal?

• Original Poster
  • Results Announcement

Animation Challenge
    Create an animated image from your city
    Season 3 - Challenge #25 - Extended (25 days)

1st Place 

28  Rep
    23  Bonus Points
    34  TOTAL Points

Dramatic frames of vast contrast...

Spoiler

The Four Seasons of Meteorakorver

large.Meteora.gif.10505533caf327ee51b62a

"An animated GIF displaying my recreation of the Holy Monastery of St. Nicholas in Meteora, Greece along with some of the surrounding scenery."

Wanting to feel closer to heaven, the locals would build their monasteries high in the sky, perched precariously on the edge of sheer granite rock cliffs - truly an amazing sight to behold.

One of the frames in this picture (fall) was originally featured in my "Greece - Part II" update in my CJ, True Earth, so for this GIF I decided to showcase Meteora in its entirety with Spring, Summer, and Winter frames as well. Each frame showcases extensive custom lotting, intricate MMPing, and custom content creation (various terrain mods created for this picture + a number of new MMPs made/modded heavily)

View the Full Resolution image. (4.8 MB)
    Click here to view the album entry.

2nd Place 

17  Rep
    14  Bonus Points
    21  TOTAL Points

Escaping the traffic...

Spoiler

FerryArn71

large.Ferry.gif.6e7987fc5cdb5e265694918e

"Ferry leaving the Wharf"

3rd Place 

11  Rep
    9  Bonus Points
    13  TOTAL Points

Gliding along in the...

Spoiler

Lions Lighthouse Regattaphilforhockey51

large.58960804b0923_LionsLighthouseRagat

"Every year the Sun Bay Regatta starts in the Lion's Inlet and passes the Lion's Lighthouse as it works it's way around Sun Bay in Mtn North."

4th Place 

7  TOTAL Points

And then there were 7...

Spoiler

Tower lightsTakingyouthere

large.58a14a80b764a_Towerlights.gif.850e

View the Full Resolution image. (13 MB)

Well done to all entries! *:thumb:

The rep prizes have been awarded, with the top 3 images to be placed in the Hall of Fame.

As this was an  Extended  challenge, points will count towards the Weekly and Extended Leaderboard, along with the Global Leaderboard.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Cool_Z
        Good day everyone!
        I have become curious about how the simulation was working in SC4.
        Of course I know that unlike Skylines, Sims in 4 are simulated only in "presence", but how?

I'm also cursious about health, wealth and education. Is it just a global percentage applied to groups of population in map areas or is it more precise?
        Do Sims get wealthier? Do Sims really age?
        I am wondering what the underlying mechanics are, do we have a full documentation about that somewhere or are we just guessing by observing what happens ingame?
      • By Bach2Baroque
        Hi, started learning how to do basic 3dmodelling & custom assets for skylines about a week ago, so i'm bound to face problems.
        My issue now is that I made a tiny 2 x 1 building but the editor will always auto expand it to 2x4 regardless of what size i choose. I could scale my model bigger to fit a 3x2 lot but that would be too big compared to the IRL version. I really want to stay within the 2x1 size. If someone could help/explain to me what i'm doing wrong i'd really appreciate it.

• By Doni98
        Hello everyone! I'm back with another cemetery!
        In this time, a cemetery where our sims can bury her beloved pets, a honest place.
        INSTALLATION:
        Simply put the file in Documents/SimCity4/Plugins
        Dependencies:
        Peg Memorial Park Kit (probably)
      • By Doni98
        I'm back, my friends!
        I recently made a place for bury the lovely pets from our sims. ENJOY! 
        DEPENDENCIES:
        - Peg Memorial Park Kit (maybe)
        INSTALLATION:
        Simply put the .bat file in Documents/SimCity4/Plugins
        Pet Cemetery_87e975e1.SC4Lot
      • By chfzdn
        Did you confused with BSC, AOIN, BAT, PLEX, STR etc? Here are the collections of them that adapted from https://www.kaskus.co.id/show_post/53cc0c3aa3cb170a768b4669/12/kamus-istilah-sim-city-4 (Indonesian) and the famous SimCity 4 Encyclopaedia (this is will be grouped appropriately):
        AIN/AOIN: Alliance of Independent Nations.
        Automata: Object that can move automatically, including vehicles, pedestrians and animals.
        BAT: 
        Building Architect Tool, an official app to make structures for mod making. Structures made by the app. BSC: BAT Squad Certification, the largest BAT team besides NAM Team.
        BLaM: BATters, Lotters, and Modders Team.
        Brown box: structures that replaces the original buildings due to missing dependencies.
        BLS: Barby Lot Studio. Part of BSC.
        BTM: Bullet Train Mod, modifies elevated rail network. Part of NAM.
        CAM: Colossus Addon Mod, modifies growth stages and demands.
        CAN-AM: Canal Addon Mod, makes canals to be used as mode of transportation. Part of NAM.
        CARCH: Cerulean Architecture and Design.
        CDK: Coastal Development Kit, a set of seaports and related facilities made by Pegasus.
        COFR: Confenderacy of Free Regions.
        CSK: Channel Stream Kit.
        CSX: Colyn Serfontein Expanded. Part of BSC.
        D66: Dolphin66.
        DAE: Deadwoods. Part of BSC.
        DT: DuskTrooper.
        El-rail: elevated rail.
        File exchanges: places for mods, maps and other stuff related to the game.
        FLUPs: flexible underpasses, made using ramp and special pieces. Part of NAM.
        Growable: lot that grow automatically in the right zones when the affected factors is fulfilled.
        GA: GrampaAl, a BSC founder.
        GC: Gascooker. Part of BSC.
        GLR:
        New networks based on elevated rail network. A mod added them. Part of NAM. HKABT: Hong Kong / Asia BAT Team.
        HSRP: High Speed Rail Project, adds new networks based on monorail network. Part of NAM.
        ITC: International Team of Creators, a team founded by Yoshi (Ian), Travis and CasperVg.
        JENX: Xannepan.
        JRJ: Jeronij, a short-time modder and webmaster at SC4Devotion.
        LEX: Lot Exchange, a file exchange part of SC4Devotion.com.
        Lot: the base upon which structures and many other objects in the game are built on.
        Lot Editor: official tool made by Maxis to modify lots.
        LBT: Latin American BAT Team.
        Mega prop: huge bundles of props often split in volumes.
        MJB: Couchpotato. Part of BSC.
        MML: menu management lot, shows specified menus when placed.
        NAM: Network Addon Mod, adds tons of new networks and fixes to traffic simulator.
        NDEX: N74704, DuskTrooper and Equinox, a group of BATters.
        NHP: New Horizon Productions.
        NWM: Network Widening Mod, adds larger version of road network. Part of NAM.
        OWW: Old Wooden Waterfront, a set of wooden waterfront made by PEG.
        PEG: Pegasus, a famous modder.
        Prop: Anything to improve detail, aesthetic and realism of a lot including trash can, flower pot and more.
        Ploppable: lot that can be placed directly without zoning.
        RCI: residential (green zone), commercial (blue zone) and industrial (yellow zone).
        PLEX: Pegasus Lot Exchange, a file exchange part of Simpeg.com (now defunct).
        RHW:
        RealHighway, a set of highways that mimicks real-world highways. A mod added them. Part of NAM. RLS: Real Life Syndrome, BATs from SimGoober.
        RTMT: Road Top Mass Transit, adds mass transit on the top of the road.
        SAM: Street Addon Mod, adds custom streets. Part of NAM.
        SC4: SimCity 4.
        SC4D:
        SimCity 4 Devotion. SimCity 4 Deluxe (although rare). SFBT: SimForum BAT Team, a German BAT team.
        SG: SimGoober. Part of BSC.
        SMP: Simtropia Productions Team.
        SNM: SimNation Military, a pack of mods for military.
        ST: Simtropolis.
        STEX: Simtropolis Exchange, a file exchange part of Simtropolis.com.
        STR: single-track rail. Part of NAM.
        Terraforming: process of land modification (not usage).
        TLA: turning lane avenue. Part of NWM.
        TuLEP: Turning Lane Extension Pieces. Part of NAM.
        TSC: ToutSimCities, a French community.
        UDI: U-Drive-It, a feature for riding automata.
        W2W: Wall-to-wall.
        WFK: Waterfront kit.
        I hope this helps you. Suggestions & critics are welcome. Thanks.