Badi_Dea

Badi_Dea's Workshop - More Network Fences Released, High School WIP

120 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

On 08/04/2018 at 12:22 PM, Badi_Dea said:

What I meant is that it's such a minor alteration, I'd need to change something something else to make it feel deserving of it's own WS item, and that might be more effort than I want to devote to it.

Hmm, if that's the case, it might be easier to just update the Pedestrian Sidewalk asset by including the brick reskin in it instead of making a separate ws asset?

I say better to keep them seperate. Not everyone will want both. And a different skin is totally enough for it's own workshop item imo. Love the path and I'm sure the brick will look great too, so I hope you do share it with us. :D 

Another hand-raiser for the brick re-skin here. I was playing around with the regular one tonight in a new build and was struggling to make it transition nicely onto brick roads (or roads with brick sidewalks) and that would be the perfect solution. 

Hey, I've been using your pedestrian paths for a bit now. They're great! But for some reason on some slopes the height data doesn't save accurately or something. They kind of fall through the world after I load a savegame. After I rebuild them all of it seems to be fine for the current game, than after a save the height data resets again and they cause huge craters. You know what might be at work here?

• Original Poster
  • 4 hours ago, Darf said:

But for some reason on some slopes the height data doesn't save accurately or something. They kind of fall through the world after I load a savegame.

I've not heard of that problem - post a mod list and lets see if there is anything that might cause it. Does it happen only with one save or any save where you use the network?

1 hour ago, Badi_Dea said:

I've not heard of that problem - post a mod list and lets see if there is anything that might cause it. Does it happen only with one save or any save where you use the network?

it's not a mod, I've had this happen when I've been looking at making pedestrian paths and there's something about one of the settings - i think maybe to do with the flatten terrain - that bugs out and causes this to happen. I can't remember explicitly what the network property was that affected it (edit: I use --noworkshop when I create assets)

5 hours ago, Bad Peanut said:

it's not a mod, I've had this happen when I've been looking at making pedestrian paths and there's something about one of the settings - i think maybe to do with the flatten terrain - that bugs out and causes this to happen. I can't remember explicitly what the network property was that affected it (edit: I use --noworkshop when I create assets)

I think it might have something to with flatten terrain, it mainly happens near roads and quays. As for my mod list... that´s a big list. But if I had to pick a culprit, I think it might mostly be due to using anarchy and placement of other networks near the paths with anarchy that flatten terrain.

5 hours ago, Darf said:

I think it might have something to with flatten terrain, it mainly happens near roads and quays. As for my mod list... that´s a big list. But if I had to pick a culprit, I think it might mostly be due to using anarchy and placement of other networks near the paths with anarchy that flatten terrain.

as mentioned, it won't be a mod as this behaviour occurs in the --noworkshop mode when i do tests on my own pedestrian paths

• Original Poster
  • I've put in a couple hours trying to re-create the issue, and I guess I just don't know what I'm looking for, would you post a pic of the problem?

I pretty much have to use the flatten terrain attribute because without it, this happens:

90jqJM4.jpg

The bottom path is what's on the workshop, the top one is a clone without the flatten terrain attribute.

Could it possibly be an interaction with flatten terrain and the max slope value, which I also changed away from default?

@Darf Thanks for letting me know about this problem!

@Bad Peanut Thanks for helping out!

Sorry, took me a while to reproduce the problem, some locations actually retained their height positions after I put them down. Here´s some screenshots of what´s happening:

After Save:

i1pL9yX.jpg

After deleting the path:

XCKAyMg.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:50 PM, Badi_Dea said:

Released the Sidewalks! I went with the concrete version first since it's probably more useful for more people. I'm gonna finish off the brick reskin for myself though.

QUY22Ra.jpg

I'm gonna be getting back to the network based industrial pipeline, but I'm also starting to work on blocking in something that's been on the back burner for a real long time.
    If anyone's been looking around at the some of the craziest industrial hell holes, you might recognize it.

tJ7eZCF.jpg

Thanks all for reading!

Why, thank you for making me faint.

• Original Poster
  • I spent some time trying to figure out the problem, it took quite a while for me to reproduce, but I finally did.

@Bad Peanut was correct. It looks to be a problem with the prefab, the vanilla pedestrian paths will exhibit the same symptoms if you add the 'flatten terrain' attribute...

So here's the question -
    1: remove the flatten terrain attribute and deal with it being even more unfriendly to hilly ground
    2: recreate the network using a different prefab or AI. That should take care of this specific issue, for instance look at the ground level highway ramp, but it might introduce some other problems

nHBzA6w.jpg

Thanks for letting me know about the problem @Darf, hopefully there's a solution out there.

• Original Poster
  • Just a quick status update on the pipeline network. I'm pretty much finished with it, just need to test thoroughly... I don't want another issue like those damn sidewalks...
    On that subject, I just decided to wait until Parklife comes out, I noticed in the screenshots that they seem to have modeled pedestrian walkways. Remaking with that as a template I hope will fix the sinking issue.

This project has taken so long and gone through so many different revisions, I'm finally at the point where I'm happy with the results.

ucLtGJp.jpg

What you're seeing is two different types of pipeline network, the big one is a remake of my previous oil pipeline puzzle pieces. Those are the type of things you see within the refinery connecting all the different modules.
    The second network is much smaller, two parallel pipelines that runs out to the storage tanks.
    All of the pipes in this picture are made out of those two networks in various combinations of stacking.

SimtropOils is back in business.

:???:Is there anything I'm forgetting with these pipelines? Any industry experts out there that would be willing to help me out with authenticity? Pics on the internet can sometimes be a little ambiguous.

Thanks all!

• Original Poster
  • Hey all, I've finished up and tested quite thoroughly the pipelines, the first one is ready for prime time!

i4QnsEJ.jpg

I'll be finalizing and releasing the smaller parallel pipe soon - I'd like to get a little more progress on some buildings first.

Thanks everyone!

Instead of clicking on someone's name to find their other assets, click on the link to their workshop above the item's name. That's the easiest way to find a creator's assets. :)

Untitled.png

• Original Poster
  • Hey everyone, thanks for all the support on previous pipeline asset - here is the second in the series of industrial pipes. I've got some interesting ideas for the next industrial network based thing, but first I'd like to make something pretty - looking at industrial hellscapes in google maps gets real tiring. WIP pics coming soon, promise!

Until then - Distribution pipes are up, hope you all find some creative uses for them :-D

A2JRoRj.jpg
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1392502922

Thanks!

• Original Poster
  • I started working on something that has been on the list for quite some time it's been listed in the OP to this thread for the last year and a half... Before I started getting distracted by all the cool network stuff. It's been a while since I've made a pretty building, I hope I remember how *;)

This is Regis prep high school, technically a private high school; but there's no need to get that specific in-game.

:???:What do you guys prefer, an asset name like 'suburban high school' or should I name it after the thing I modeled it after?

vpIQrzf.jpg

I've got the base mesh blocked out, still lots of little details to add though.

XK7cXta.jpg

I've started on the textures, but there's still a long way to go. It looks like I'll be able to squeeze everything into a 1024x2048 map.
    It's 19x11 tiles in-game, so it'll be split up into a subBuilding. I'm at 1461 tris currently, that includes face cuts for texturing purposes too; but I expect that number to grow a bit when the detailing starts.

Thanks for reading, everyone!

• Original Poster
  • Cool, thanks @barcasam7 I'll keep the original name.

Here are a few more progress shots - a good chunk of the diffuse texture is done. I'm still trying to figure out how I want to do some of the front doors and back windows.

Testing in-game, doesn't look too bad - but you get used to looking at it in 3ds max and you realize how much the game really mangles it...

X3M8aa7.jpg

You can see above, I have a couple gaps in the mesh I still need to map properly. I'm kinda stuck thinking how it should be done - the real thing has some silver accents there, but I don't know if I want to copy that completely.

asE762H.jpg

I'm liking the way the front profile is turning out - I picked this building because of the interesting front side overhang.

Another thing - I've released a set of network fences to go along with my privacy fence. These things a real fun to do, mostly because it's pretty easy to churn one out on a daily basis, even with my busy work schedule.

q8Hpv6K.jpg

Thanks for reading, everyone!

Great idea! Me likes this very much as it also saves some RAM by just having these walls and not a whole new street network wasting polys and probably additional textures on nothing :)   U.S. style highways here I come! ;)

• Original Poster
  • Hey everyone - Unfortunately and fortunately it's been a busy week. I haven't had a chance to get around to the school too much, I do think that I found a way of handling the larger windows and doors, I'm curious what you think about this:

O9pl02d.jpg

I'm actually reusing the wall trim quite a bit for this, I don't want it to look too grungy, but I just couldn't get anything else looking right in the atlas space I had leftover.

Another week, another set of network fences. I have a pretty big backlog of fences now, so I'm hoping to get a pack out once a week til I run out.
    This week's pack actually isn't from the backlog, it was a special request from your friend and mine, our very own - @bsquiklehausen I'm sure you all have no idea what it'll be used for :P

WwJWtP4.jpg

Let me know what you think about doing more of these fences, I'm sorry if I come along and release some fences that are redundant to assets that are already on the WS, I'm just making stuff I want to use.

Spoiler

I ended up actually cutting out this Qantas style blast deflector from the pack - I didn't like at all how it was turning out, and no matter what I did the flaws still came back in different forms.. sometimes you just need to scratch something and try again, it's a life lesson y'all.

I might revisit it later, because it really is a cool design. ( http://www.nepean.com/files/imagecache/Product_image_large/products/blast_fence_nepean_ei_2.jpg )

FJwP26m.png

XtaeMDu.png

Thanks everyone!

Think the school is turning out great! Also love the jet blast fences, I'm sure they will have many uses than meets the eye. Thank you for these. 

Congratulations, so very good, the school and the fences. 

Fences like this are better because they behave like roads. If you can create more, like wire fence, grid, to squares, you are the guy!