Badi_Dea

Badi_Dea's Workshop - More Network Fences Released, High School WIP

120 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

Hi all!
Like most of you folks, I have a huge back-catalog in a spreadsheet somewhere of assets I plan on making some day.
Well, here's my list.. This is just the stuff I want to make, It's alright if there is already a good asset on the workshop for it, it's just for my own pleasure.

This isn't going to replace the refinery project, I'll still keep updating that thread. I just wanted to have a place to keep my other assets organized and seek advice from everyone.

I'll have to clean up the list at some point, but for now it's just a data dump. I have some more things I would like to make, but I don't have a design picked out yet, so I left them off for now.

Oil Refinery - Oil Processing
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.0065019,-90.4071591,237a,20y,167.44h,35.05t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Oil Refinery - Cargo Train Station
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.9497817,-122.3930365,129a,20y,262.12h,44.54t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.0704488,-122.1403047,380a,20y,244.63h,20.43t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Oil Refinery - Cargo Ship Dock
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.0521921,-122.2629243,523a,20y,11.06h,42.26t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Maintained Parking Lot Set
Park, in road menu
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.3910437,-121.9274703,223a,20y,25.88h,35.16t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Steelworks - Cargo Train Station
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.2377384,-104.6130184,402a,20y,104.06h,36.41t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Steelworks - Ore Processing
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6169763,-87.3499964,1970a,20y,91.87h,38.38t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Steelworks - Ore Processing
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4605099,-81.6761571,433a,20y,24.81h,35.14t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Grain Silo
Food Processing
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7160313,-97.3329193,423a,20y,122.76h,37.08t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Concrete Plant
Road Maintenance Building
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.737851,-97.3243732,421a,20y,25.26h,37.6t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

City College
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.5618932,-104.8134453,226a,20y,323.93h,46.24t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

High School
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6024645,-104.803733,322a,20y,114.75h,54.2t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Some great ideas on there (I didn't dare click all the links in case I got more ideas :P) and a very nice looking college! I always find myself using the same few schools, so more well done variation is very welcome! :D If the wing is a subbuilding it will have collision like normal and force people to place it on a corner, so that should limit some of the steam comments. :P Ofc if you end up adding the plaza (that totally is nice looking so I get you're tempted to make it) and add it as a subbuilding, then the corner won't really be an issue.

Looking forward to seeing your progress :D

Man that looks awesome! Any chance you could publish it as university and as high school: purely by the looks of it seems suitable for both purposes (and proper uni coverage is easier to achieve than high school coverage).

• Original Poster
  • Thanks folks!

@Judazzz howabout I do ya one better - I've had my eye on this guy for a while, I'll add it to the list

4PW74mR.jpg
    https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6024645,-104.803733,322a,20y,114.75h,54.2t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

I'm not sure about making all the buildings on that campus, but the longer building on the right would make for an amazing looking, realistic highschool.

• Original Poster
  • LOL @Judazzz you're funny. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

I got the whole thing wrapped up ahead of schedule, so I decided to throw in Rush Hour integration. I created a Graduation random event; however, it never fired in about 2 hours worth of testing :-/ I noticed that every mention of the automatic random events specify a unique building, so I wonder if there's a limitation there since it's a university building.
    So, I made the event manual as well as automatic, and you can start it manually in the event that it never starts automatically. Lots of funny eastereggs in it from my days at a technical college.

LqRTCrP.jpg
    Teaser is such a tease

It's ready for release, but I'm gonna keep it til next Thursday in the event that I happen to find out if the random events work or not. For now, it's open to friends if you would like to drop me a line to test it out.

I'm gonna use this time between releases to catch back up with the Oil Refinery project.

On 1/28/2017 at 1:20 PM, Dejected Angel said:

I have two you can use: joy.gifexcited.gif

Lol, that second one looks like Ike (from South Park) on speed! :D

That parking garage looks smashing, btw! And props for your detective work and perseverance!

1 hour ago, Badi_Dea said:

Thank you very much, I really enjoyed digging around in mod tools - I should really learn Unity... but I do a lot of scripting at work, and I suppose I'd rather not come home to Visual Studio as well lol.

I thought the same, and kept a distance for a long time, but eventually I decided to jump in anyway (encouraged by AJ3D, so my mod's existence owes a lot to him), and I've been hooked ever since. I'm a developer working with Visual Studio as well (although my primary focus is on the frond-end side of things), so in order to keep a balance I've made a conscious decision to mod strictly on my own terms, which means that I only work on my stuff when I want to. Of course I try to offer support if asked, but I don't set any targets or deadlines - it's a hobby. Sometimes I don't touch my mods for weeks or even months on end, so it's all pretty relaxed....
    Added benefit is that modding introduced me with a whole new type of development and has increased my knowledge, skills and way of organizing and running projects quite substantially (and thus my net value :D ), so even though it's a hobby, it makes me a better developer. so besides tons of fun it's a good investment.

Love the parking garage btw, time to find it a nice home in my city!

1 hour ago, Badi_Dea said:

Published!

V6Autnj.png
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=853655964

Thank you all! I know, we have a severe lack of parking garages in the game given how prominent they are in a real city.
    With builtin sub-building support, and mod support that makes parking spots more desirable, it really adds realism to have to worry about parking.

Thank you very much, I really enjoyed digging around in mod tools - I should really learn Unity... but I do a lot of scripting at work, and I suppose I'd rather not come home to Visual Studio as well lol.

I'm gonna be heading back to some Oil Refinery assets now, the refinery project is far from over, we got tons of work left to do!

Looks great for airports,businesses areas,and office parks maybe.

• Original Poster
  • 1 minute ago, MisterBlueStar4 said:

Looks great for airports,businesses areas,and office parks maybe.

Precisely ^_^ Thank you all for the nice comments and motivation.

@Judazzz That's certainly something to think about. I'm on the systems architecture side of things, but I value our code monkey brethren :lol:
    I extended you a friend request in Steam, if I do decide to start exploring the modding side of things I would value your advice, if you don't mind :thumb:

@Badi_Dea Sure thing man - click slaves unite!!! ;) 

My first advice, if you want to get your toes wet: download the source of a couple of mods from Github and study how are structured and how they work, tinker with the code and see how that affects the mod's behavior in-game (my first few attempts were mostly burping up errors by the truck load, lol). It helps to have an idea for a new mod though, or at least a scope for it (does it affect behavior, assets, visuals, ...) - the libraries are vast and the possibilities virtually limitless (especially when you resort to detouring stuff outside the official API), so it is easy to get lost.

Impressive! With a proper UI and a way to modify the stats of a building depending on the deployed modules, this could really go off!

Upgrading service buildings like schools and fire stations is the first thing that comes to mind, but it would also be interesting for airports (more runways, terminals) and train stations (more platforms).

Depending on the options to trigger this it could be also used to upgrade parts of a building.

If triggered by actual gametime this could trigger a change in a commercial subbuilding for holiday seasons. Thinking at the modular rico buildings from jerenable it could change the bottom commercial building with one with christmas decoration while leaving the building above as it is.

If such a trigger would be possible it would also allow a massive change within gameplay after building a city. I'm thinking f.e. about a road section that changes for a while into a road with roadworks.

But even this is not possible its - as boformer mentioned - also a massive step foreward building modular buildings.