Bad Peanut

Bad Peanut sometimes makes things: [HELP] Unique Building templates

210 posts in this topic Last Reply

8 minutes ago, Bad Peanut said:

Hmmm this was unexpected. Thank you. I was using an extra station track on either side but they're inside the main building nothing to do with sub buildings. However i did remove the span points so i didn't think trains would stop there.  Looks like i was wrong or you have a mod that adds spawn points regardless.  (I think there is such a mod) I'll look into it when i can. 

Ah, okay, sorry for using the wrong term. Regarding mods, I'm not specifically aware of anything in this regard. I'm using Multi-Track Station Enabler, but I have no idea whether that one would add spawn points.

• Original Poster
  • 1 minute ago, Turjan said:

Ah, okay, sorry for using the wrong term. Regarding mods, I'm not specifically aware of anything in this regard. I'm using Multi-Track Station Enabler, but I have no idea whether that one would add spawn points.

Maybe that? Or i had a guess the spawn point fix mod used for MOM might have a similar effect. I might try lengthening the single station track however that may cause it's own problems of "cannot find path " like it did for modern central... still ill give it a go 

It isn't Multi-Track Station Enabler. I disabled the mod, placed the station again, but the same thing happened. I don't have MOM enabled on this map yet.

However, setting the whole station to "local" fixes the problem, at least for me, as I don't want it to accept any intercity traffic anyway. At the moment you need one of Boformer's mods for that, but that should be native behavior in about a month.

This sounds like the work of Spawn Points Fix mod. It will place spawn points on every train station track segment. Amsterdam Central Station has the same problem because I needed small extra segments at the ends as well. I keep having to explain to people the can't use the mod and my station at the same time.

I think the Spawn Points Fix mod should be changed to not place spawn points on very short track segments.

• Original Poster
  • 7 hours ago, Epic Lurker said:

This sounds like the work of Spawn Points Fix mod. It will place spawn points on every train station track segment. Amsterdam Central Station has the same problem because I needed small extra segments at the ends as well. I keep having to explain to people the can't use the mod and my station at the same time.

I think the Spawn Points Fix mod should be changed to not place spawn points on very short track segments.

I doubt it would be able to distinguish those tracks but maybe it can.. 

Not knowing the code of that mod I assumed it would be easy to distinguish between long and short segments. But so far the mod owners haven't been responding to me...

For my curiosity, why did you need those extra segments on the end? In my case I ran into some maximum lenght limitation for train station track segments but your main segment doesn't seem that long.

• Original Poster
  • 7 minutes ago, Epic Lurker said:

Not knowing the code of that mod I assumed it would be easy to distinguish between long and short segments. But so far the mod owners haven't been responding to me...

For my curiosity, why did you need those extra segments on the end? In my case I ran into some maximum lenght limitation for train station track segments but your main segment doesn't seem that long.

What is your maximum length limit? I only avoided making my main segment longer than default because the only other time i did that (modern central) it infrequently caused "cannot find path" issues when trying to place routes. What's your experience?

Right, that's exactly the problem I had. So the maximum length I've heard is 200m, and as I recall that I was above that when got the 'cannot find path' errors. Loading my station in the asset editor right now I have 136m main segments with 20m extra segments on each end. Somehow that math doesn't quite add up but maybe train segment math doesn't work with simple addition.

Anyway, if you can make your train station work with a single train station track segment you should totally do that. Or if you can use regular track segments instead of train station track segments that would also solve the problem for your station. If not, join me in requesting changes to the Spawn Point Fix mod.

• Original Poster
  • 2 minutes ago, Epic Lurker said:

Right, that's exactly the problem I had. So the maximum length I've heard is 200m, and as I recall that I was above that when got the 'cannot find path' errors. Loading my station in the asset editor right now I have 136m main segments with 20m extra segments on each end. Somehow that math doesn't quite add up but maybe train segment math doesn't work with simple addition.

Anyway, if you can make your train station work with a single train station track segment you should totally do that. Or if you can use regular track segments instead of train station track segments that would also solve the problem for your station. If not, join me in requesting changes to the Spawn Point Fix mod.

I will see how long i can make the single segment, and I had to use station tracks on either side as they have fixed height and don't affect the terrain (specific to ETST mod) normal tracks would bend the terrain down and actually follow the terrain, so the tracks themselves would bend up to the service from the station track.

11 hours ago, Epic Lurker said:

This sounds like the work of Spawn Points Fix mod. It will place spawn points on every train station track segment.

Thanks for the pointer. I completely forgot about this one, even though already the mod's name suggests an involvement.

• Original Poster
  • Just now, Turjan said:

Thanks for the pointer. I completely forgot about this one, even though already the mod's name suggests an involvement.

well i have updated the asset to try and change it :) could you please make sure steam has updated your workshop and replop the station to see if it's better? the only risk i can see now is getting a "cannot find path" message but fingers crossed :)

• Original Poster
  • 6 minutes ago, Turjan said:

Everything works great now. Both, local and outside traffic, use the station as intended. Note that I have all my usual mods turned on.

perfect!

I love the way this looks, I just wish it didn't require the extra train tracks mod. I got rid of that a while back when it was causing problems. I thought there was supposed to be an integrated solution coming down the pipeline of Network Extensions. Am imagining things or was that a plan at some point?

30 minutes ago, Matthias King said:

I love the way this looks, I just wish it didn't require the extra train tracks mod. I got rid of that a while back when it was causing problems. I thought there was supposed to be an integrated solution coming down the pipeline of Network Extensions. Am imagining things or was that a plan at some point?

AFAIK, nope. Anyway, any problems that Extra Train Station Tracks have caused are long gone. I've not had any problems with it since the update that added canals, about a year ago, IIRC.

If you don't mind requests I would really love to see something very simple as this on the right - simple wide stairs, an overpass and basic glass shelters. I know this one is unrealistic and not to scale with the train, yet it is very elegant and simple

pic_1353588649.jpg

• Original Poster
  • 6 hours ago, hitzu said:

If you don't mind requests I would really love to see something very simple as this on the right - simple wide stairs, an overpass and basic glass shelters. I know this one is unrealistic and not to scale with the train, yet it is very elegant and simple

pic_1353588649.jpg

I think this would be better for light rail trams (as in the picture)

Would also be cool as a new net type for trams - could be done by a modder who models the net below 0 and sets the net to clip terrain. 

5 hours ago, Bad Peanut said:

I think this would be better for light rail trams (as in the picture)

I've seen somwhere (and unfortunately couldn't find anymore) a very similar freshly built station in a wide trench for commuter trains somewhere in Europe. It was like this one with full platform wide stairs and the ramp integrated like this

Spoiler

5716898272_eaa90fcdac_b.jpg

There was also a shelter and an elevator connected with a nearby overpass. As far as I remember it was a part of the park and that's why it resembles a modern quay but with rails instead of the water :) 

That looks awesome. It does look a bit wide (if it was to be used in an inner-city context), but I guess it has to be that wide in order to cover up the wide trench that the rails create. Still, looks amazing.

• Original Poster
  • 12 minutes ago, wasmic said:

That looks awesome. It does look a bit wide (if it was to be used in an inner-city context), but I guess it has to be that wide in order to cover up the wide trench that the rails create. Still, looks amazing.

exactly! trench is always going to be wider :) but it's only 8 tiles wide anyway so 1 block? if you want skinnier you start getting into the realm of needing a new net type

5 minutes ago, Avanya said:

There's always quays and assets to make the trench seem smaller for those inner city areas. :)

Indeed.  I see that screenshot and think "a seawall will fix this nicely"