JP Schriefer

Tribute to A Nonny Moose

199 posts in this topic Last Reply

Its strange, I'm not a very active member on Simtroplis, but Moose's passing has left me feeling quite sad. I think I first came across him on here when I was 14 or 15 not long after joining and being slightly alarmed that the moose on his avatar moved and smiled. In all my incohorenent teenage babbling posts demanding people fix things for me, find things for me or look at my City Journal, he would always be the first to make a measured and calm response.

But I think what's left me feeling the saddest is what he (and Corina Marie) helped me with lately this year. In March he helped me when my City wouldn't start after upgrading to Windows 10 and in May, both he and CM walked me through how to increase the size of my reigon to whatever size I wanted, something I only dreamed of doing. I guess I feel a little sad that he won't be around to see the finish product he helped me make.

I wish I spoke to him more, granted his technical posts sometimes (most times) went over my head, I always enjoyed reading his website, and reading his conversations in the social forum. Wherever he is, I just hope they have a Linux PC with a good copy of Sim City 4 for him.

Not a goodbye Nonny, but a godspeed.

I never knew A Nonny Moose personally. We may have posted maybe in the same threads a few times and maybe that's as close of a relationship I have with him, but his presence is so felt, I thought he posted in every thread. He was like a rock, a constant in Simtropolis. I haven't been active as of late, if at all. That said, I feel quite bummed to hear a familiar name pass on.

First saw this thread a couple of days ago, didn't know how to respond. I'm gutted. Still.

I received a PM from Nonny during his last login, http://imgur.com/wsvhfMV

Goodbye my friend, you will be sorely missed on these boards.

RIP John. I hope you catch up with Marilyn and the dogs.

See ya around man...

I have been coming onto the forums here on simtropolis on and off for about 7 or 8 years, even when I had my first screem name on here (which I forgot and forgot all the details, so when I came back on here I made my new, and current, one) . I only knew him as 'A Nonny Moose', someone who helped me and many others on here with our questions, but also showed his sense of humor in some of his general comments. I know he's helped me on many questions I had and when I was stumped I actually got used to writing "@A Nonny Moose" somewhere randomly at the end of my question/comment, haha!, on the chance he was busy helping others at the time (which he often was), and sure enough he'd always make time to help. Sometimes I felt a little selfish for hogging ANM, but I always knew he'd help me if he could. I'm sure that a lot of us on here wish we could have known him outside this great website, but we span from all over the world, so actually meeting up with people on this site is oftentimes impractical. Although we were strangers outside the confines of this website, I hope he knew he had a friend out here in the Borough of Brooklyn, in the great City of New York. Now I know his name is John, but I'm sure it'd keep a smile on his face if I forever will have known him as A Nonny Moose. My sincere condolences to his family and other loved ones, and in a way I hope they come to find out how many people here on simtropolis are missing him as well.

R.I.P. A Nonny Moose

1 hour ago, Brooklyn81 said:

I'm sure it'd keep a smile on his face if I forever will have known him as A Nonny Moose.

I'm sure it would. Most of you already know this, but I just wanted to point out for peep's whose primary language is not English, A Nonny Moose is a play on the word Anonymous showing Granpa Moose's (as I knew him) sense of humor. The most well known and well loved Simtropolite chose unknown as his nomenclature here. ;)

I have no words, I'm simply shocked!

He was what you can only define as a friend, a genuine person, selfless and funny!

He encouraged me when I needed it, he gave precious advice, he made me feel home! Thank you, John: you had truly been a gift and I will always remember you!

Edited by cromabianca  

typos

I am a recent new member here at Simtropolis and this is, regrettably, my first post.  As a new member I have to say that I'm very moved by the outpouring of testimonials to A Nonny Moose, a man with whom I never spoke but I have read quite a few of his posts and I learned a few things just from that alone.  His is definitely a user name I'm familiar with already and I've seen his posts in so very many forums on so many topics.  I'm sorry I never got to meet the man or talk with or even debate with him because he seemed like the type of guy who enjoyed talking about everything with everyone, indeed.  I feel sorry for the community's loss and felt as though I should say so.  May he rest peacefully, wherever he is.

Sincerely, Me.

Always enjoyed the stories and other odd finds he'd post on the off-topic forum as well as reading his opinion on the more serious topics - with whom, unlike many here, I usually tended to agree.  He's sorely missed but will also live on in some unexpected ways; for instance, I doubt I can be the only one here to say that I occasionally catch myself using some of the little sayings and phrases he used to use.

Good luck keeping that plugins folder trimmed to 1 gigabyte now!

I've had a bad feeling about this for awhile now, but I still can't believe I've read the bad news with my own eyes.  It's a sad time at ST:cry:

Never have I known anyone else who knew so much about a breathtaking variety of subjects as Nonny.  He was incredibly intelligent and knowledgeable, and yet he always was understanding and patient with those who might not know as much about the topic at hand.  I'm grateful that I took the time to talk with Nonny in the Off-Topic section; I used to love doing that.  Sometimes, we agreed, and sometimes we didn't, but these were satisfying conversations nonetheless. 

Rest in peace, beloved friend.  You were truly a legend.

Sad to see this happend. Nonny moosse was the heart of Simtropolis. He was allways the warm welcome from this site. Think everyone who had an issue with Simcity this man was involved.

He will be truly missed.

Ernest

Although visited ST for a long while, didn't involve community until recently. His presence in community was noticeable even for me and sorry that I missed opportunity to meet him. :/