Ronyx69

Ronyx: WIP Daihatsu Hijet

611 posts in this topic Last Reply

4 minutes ago, Ronyx69 said:

Just did some tests and copying the submeshes from a bus to a sedan works and saves, changing the texture and shader saves as well.

Changing the mesh doesn't save though... no idea why and how to fix it.

@boformer any ideas? I think you were looking at the capabilities of submeshes once upon a time

• Original Poster
  • Streamed today to mess around with mass transit / update...

Not sure if suspended monorail with a submesh would work because the people wait for the train beside the track, and I can't change the door position of the trains, so the people would be above the track and enter above the track as well so the station would need to cover up this space above the track so you can't see the floating people? Would look weird.

There's a new shader for a floating building - the boat musuem thingy.

Also I started some river rocks: kinda meh up close but ok from a distance.

Gaqq4pU.jpg

vFvFsjz.jpg

FF0YWxZ.jpg

• Original Poster
  • Needed to double post for this:

The monorail uses the ship shader.

I copied the cable car mesh onto the monorail, stuff below 0 doesn't spin so straddlers should be possible out of the box. 

Which is also a plus for suspended monorail. The only thing about that is door positions where people enter, and the position where people stand beside the track to wait for the train...

Any idea for that "dirt" texture on monotrains Ronyx ? They look quite bad and I've yet to find a solution 

• Original Poster
  • On 5/18/2017 at 10:46 PM, R3V0 said:

Any idea for that "dirt" texture on monotrains Ronyx ? They look quite bad and I've yet to find a solution 

Seems like that is part of the ship shader.

The solution would be to use the main mesh only for the windows/lights which uses the ship shader.

And then have a submesh for the main body of the train which uses the prop shader or some other shader.

Only thing is we need saveable submeshes for vehicles...

Released some rocks:

VA0qMwr.jpg

pX6mwUH.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=930012701

Have been finishing my really big airport project using alot of your awesome props. One of the most central for one concept is the ploppable asphalt together with @Lost_Gecko's concrete walls. Unfortunately I ran into a problem with prop count :( One of the most numerous is the ploppable asphalt. Any chance for a bigger version?

20E271706CDFFCBD51A9E3A32A1F3D040507ADC5

8 hours ago, leosten said:

One of the most numerous is the ploppable asphalt. Any chance for a bigger version?

I don't think Ronyx will add more prop sizes to his mod in order to keep the mod filesize as low as possible but it's possible to make our own props. I can look into it but I can't say where exactly it will fit in my schedule...

41 minutes ago, Lost_Gecko said:

I don't think Ronyx will add more prop sizes to his mod in order to keep the mod filesize as low as possible but it's possible to make our own props. I can look into it but I can't say where exactly it will fit in my schedule...

I would never expect anything from all the awesome modders of this game. Your work is what makes this game great and all of us are thankful for the time you put into it! 

Good to know there at least is a possibility for it, I think the fake slabs will be enough to remove for now to finish it. 

• Original Poster
  • 21 hours ago, leosten said:

Have been finishing my really big airport project using alot of your awesome props. One of the most central for one concept is the ploppable asphalt together with @Lost_Gecko's concrete walls. Unfortunately I ran into a problem with prop count :( One of the most numerous is the ploppable asphalt. Any chance for a bigger version?

Cool.

I'm not making a bigger version because of the culling issues - they disappear at certain angles, it already looks terrible at very specific angles with the current props, it would be even worse with bigger ones, as big chunks of asphalt would just disappear when looking around. Building don't have these culling issues but unfortunately the RoadBridge shader looks completely screwed up when it's a building.

12 hours ago, Lost_Gecko said:

Filesize really is just bragging points at this point, it doesn't reflect the actual amount of memory usage because of the loading screen mod. I still like to keep file sizes small though.

1 hour ago, leosten said:

I was looking at that actually but it doesn't seem to work properly with Move-It among other mods, at least not with the ones plopped outside of the count. Not sure that is an option actually. Thanks though!

Yeah I recommend only using it for props you definitely won't move, like random stuff in backyards or decals in nature, so that the total user prop usage is reduced at least a bit.

WIP Pools:

ttgUY5E.jpg

Random idea...

Flat looking thingy:

6IkM9qE.jpg

AO rotors shader sub-building (pushed out 3cm):

wukAbnQ.jpg

Combining both thingies:

69A8wum.jpg

So you could not worry about AO in the main model and make that as efficient as possible with repetition and such...

And then make a more optimized model for the AO, you could even add stains on it, shiny normal mapped stains even, and then add that as a sub building.

The rotors shader layer could be very low poly and only in bigger flat areas, and the textures don't need to be big since it's less visible and would go on top of the main model/texture.

Also I'm planning a ModTools for beginners video, what do you want to see in that?

30 minutes ago, Ronyx69 said:

Also I'm planning a ModTools for beginners video, what do you want to see in that?

One thing that would be quite interesting is how to find the currently selected building (BuildingTool) or network (NetTool), and how to find the asset opened in asset editor.

The copy/paste feature is also quite important, and an explanation what "null" means.

The difference between a building/tree/prop instance and prefab

Modifying arrays with scripts (like light effect arrays)

@Ronyx69 regarding the tutorial, I'm really interested in how to use the Rotor shader for windows, etc. But I'm guessing that's a more advanced thing than a basic tutorial. 

On 5/26/2017 at 0:17 AM, Ronyx69 said:

Random idea...

AO rotors shader sub-building (pushed out 3cm):

So you could not worry about AO in the main model and make that as efficient as possible with repetition and such...

And then make a more optimized model for the AO, you could even add stains on it, shiny normal mapped stains even, and then add that as a sub building.

The rotors shader layer could be very low poly and only in bigger flat areas, and the textures don't need to be big since it's less visible and would go on top of the main model/texture.

This is really interesting, does this affect performance very much? If not, I would love to use it in my buildings. Also, will it work fine if it will be pushed out like 0.1 - 0.5 cm (won't there be any Z-fighting aka flickering?)

49 minutes ago, pauliaxz said:

This is really interesting, does this affect performance very much? If not, I would love to use it in my buildings. Also, will it work fine if it will be pushed out like 0.1 - 0.5 cm (won't there be any Z-fighting aka flickering?)

Very likely. It basically doubles the work for the rendering engine.

• Original Poster
  • On 5/26/2017 at 0:53 AM, boformer said:

One thing that would be quite interesting is how to find the currently selected building (BuildingTool) or network (NetTool), and how to find the asset opened in asset editor.

The copy/paste feature is also quite important, and an explanation what "null" means.

The difference between a building/tree/prop instance and prefab

Modifying arrays with scripts (like light effect arrays)

The array thing might be too much, haven't really done that myself, and not sure how to tie in the instance vs prefab thing, I think those are more for mod dev. Everything else makes sense and I'll likely include it.

On 5/26/2017 at 4:52 PM, jzeltman said:

@Ronyx69 regarding the tutorial, I'm really interested in how to use the Rotor shader for windows, etc. But I'm guessing that's a more advanced thing than a basic tutorial. 

That's actually not advanced at all, you just import the transparent parts as a sub-building or prop, run the script, reload the game, import the main building and then add the transparent parts to it. I will mention some of my scripts though. You know the apple store source files are available as an example right?

On 5/27/2017 at 4:59 PM, pauliaxz said:

Less than 1cm is probably not enough, I did some testing with this when making ploppable asphalt, I chose 3cm for main models and 6cm for lod models I think, anything less than that had z-fighting problems at bigger distances. For this I would try 2cm and if it flickers then 3cm.

Also it shouldn't be too strong, since you need to definitely keep it below 50% opacity, otherwise it will cast a shadow on the main model.

On 5/27/2017 at 5:50 PM, boformer said:

Very likely. It basically doubles the work for the rendering engine.

Definitely does affect performance, but hard to say how much. Since this would enable me to use less subdivisions on the main model (because I use that for corner ao and stains) and the ao mesh should be simplified a lot. But then again it's semi-transparent so that seems like it would put more load on... It's a bunch of trade-offs, I just don't know any specifics.

The AO mod is updated for 1.7 but it still has those ugly lines like before, and in addition to that it has some other glitches for me. But some vanilla and workshop buildings have ao baked on them anyway, so I'm still probably gonna try this ao + stains method on something in the future, likely something simple and with lots of flat surfaces, since that's where it would make the most difference.

Anyway finally streamed again and continued the post office:

z6zP15i.jpg

67VbEVZ.jpg

Man, that post office is looking amazing. I can't wait!

Incidentally, I'd love to see more government/municipal buildings like this.

On that note, I can't remember if I mentioned this anywhere else or not, but I'd love to see a set of branch libraries, something missing entirely from the workshop.

47 minutes ago, Ronyx69 said:

That's actually not advanced at all, you just import the transparent parts as a sub-building or prop, run the script, reload the game, import the main building and then add the transparent parts to it. I will mention some of my scripts though. You know the apple store source files are available as an example right?

I did not know that. thanks for providing them :)

I'm currently working on the Spring arcade building in LA and I was planning to do the Roof of the lobby with the rotors shader and some of the transparent windows in the front, but I also wanted to make it growable. So from what I gather you can also use the rotors shader on props?

• Original Poster
  • 13 minutes ago, Darf said:

I'm currently working on the Spring arcade building in LA and I was planning to do the Roof of the lobby with the rotors shader and some of the transparent windows in the front, but I also wanted to make it growable. So from what I gather you can also use the rotors shader on props?

Yeah you can use props for that.

https://gist.github.com/ronyx69/20070de77a0dc02fb669be0ff5365eb4

You can actually add sub-buildings to growables and they save, but they don't spawn when they grow, only when you plop them manually.

Don't make one big prop though. Make it as small as you can and just use multiple of them.
    I say this because props get culled if the pivot of them isn't visible or something like that, so if it's a big prop it will be very noticeable when it disappears.

BTW

@Ronyx69
    I've been absent because I upgraded to an M.2 SSD and I'm reinstalling stuff. http://userbenchmark.com/UserRun/3882769 

Posted (edited)

I remember asking you about Patreon on Reddit a while back.  Glad you have one now!

Also this AnimUV stuff is BLOODY PERFECT FOR SOMETHING I'VE BEEN WANTING TO DO, GET OUT OF MY HEAD.

Edit: I'm totally up for a Discord server.

Edited by Yellowfin  

• Original Poster
  • I think I've streamed a couple times since the last update for the post office: main modeling and diffuse almost done

pzbfA3u.jpg

v3XEjAh.jpg

I also made a script for changing WindTurbine shader parameters, can change some position and rotation stuff with that:

https://gist.github.com/ronyx69/18486e905c4ddf50ce14cafbd9c55ba0

It's not considered done because I don't know everything about the vertex painting for it, some guide apparently says red should be used for something, but the vanilla wind turbine has a bunch of different colors, even though I would only expect 3 - non animated, turbine body, turbine blades... gonna test it later but you can play around with it if you want, vanilla asset editor saves it so no mod necessary, or you can also use the ingame script.