pauliaxz

pauliaxz's modding projects (Mercedes-Benz W212 E63 AMG[released], Alternative Road Arrows [WiP]

How many tris should car models have?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Your prefered triangle count for cars? (Multiple choice allowed)

• <500
    • 500-1000
    • 1000-2000
    • 2000-3000
    • 3000-5000
    • 5000-8000
    • >8000
  2. 2. Your prefered triangle count for trucks and buses? (Multiple choice allowed)

• <500
    • 500-1000
    • 1000-2000
    • 2000-3000
    • 3000-5000
    • 5000-8000
    • >8000

81 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • My next work: Citroen C1

Unfortunately, it happened that this car has 3104 tris, I feel so bad for exceeding my own limit, but this car is so curvy, I am not surprised why it is more of a woman's car ;). I guess all the newest cars ( made in 2010s) will have more tris in general. Using this car as example I am also making the tutorial of how I make my cars. Some will find it exhausting, because it is more time consuming than requiring lots of skill.

I will use stage updates as I used previously:

Stages which I will mark green if finished:

• Stage 1 - Fully made mesh model.
    • Stage 2 - Fully smoothed mesh model.
    • Stage 3 - Fully UV mapped model.
    • Stage 4 - Fully made diffuse texture (baked and edited)
    • Stage 5 - Fully made other required textures
    • Stage 6 - Fully made LOD
    • Stage 7 - .crp file(s) created and tested in-game.
    • Stage 8 - Uploaded to Steam Workshop for public use.

Preview of the Stage 1:

PIC_25 - mesh complete.jpg

• Original Poster
  • I was also wondering, if I should dedicate some of my modding time for additional low-poly models, for those people who refuse to download my cars because of too large triangle count.

Currently, my first car Audi in the Steam Workshop has ~2200 triangles. While this car in the picture is a low-poly model and has 524 triangles, a lot of detail would be lost for getting 4x lower tri count. Also textures 512x512 instead of 1024x1024.

rs6c5 lowpoly preview.jpg

For vehicles the LOD is displayed most of the time, so if you have a good low LOD model most people won't really feel a difference. Looking at the two models I'd say 3k is prob higher than needed for the game. Without mods we won't be able to get close enough to see any real difference in the details. The C1's design is a bit different so I'd guess it would lose too  much of its shape at around the 500 tris. I have a feeling though that with your skills something around 1-1.5k would look amazing! I'd personally prefer a somewhat lower tris count - 2k and up is a little on the high end in my oppinion. In the end it's ofc up to you, but I'm pretty sure lower tris vehicles would be very appreciated on the workshop :)

• Original Poster
  • Thanks @Avanya for your opinion,

Typically LODs of my cars are ~80 tris, and by rule should be below 100. Also my cars typically have over 2000 with 3000 being the hard limit, but in Citroen C1s case it was accidentally exceeded, even if I have sacrificed some detail, which I normally tend to include in my cars.

I would also love to have my cars at 1k triangle count but with same detail level which is not that possible really. Downside of that is those white edges, and texture degrading when zooming out, I get sick of that. For example when zooming out from some parking places in my cities consisting of my cars and cars (~1k tris) from other modders I start to notice that bad feature on their cars, while mine - don't have it or close to any. The thing is that, when my cars have over 2000 triangles, colored and non-colored parts are separated not only by texture but also by mesh seams. And my _c texture consists of 1/2 part consistent white and another 1/2 - consistent black.

Also, if people decide to download higher detail cars, I am sure they use some kind of custom camera mods to zoom in to street-view.

• Original Poster
  • Wanted to share my first ever experience modelling the vehicles. The game in the pictures is Cities XL, the game I played and modded before switching to Cities: Skylines. But first modelling experience and start was for SC4. My first works (in so terrible quality) can still be found in STEX.

These trucks in the pictures below are my first vehicle mods, I modelled them differently than I do now. I used only pictures of the trucks (sides, front, roof and rear)

So to begin with, a comparison with MAN TGL (prop) C:SL version and MAN TGL CXL version:

F7D9CA83AE9D693026192B6628F451BC7B643B87

man-tgl_maxima-jpg.15272

More trucks in the spoiler:

Iveco Hi-way:

iveco-hw_girteka-jpg.15275

DAF XF Euro 6:

daf-tnt-jpg.15277

Volvo FH Euro 6

volvo_dpd-jpg.15266

MAN TGX:

mans-brothers-jpg.15273

And here is my ever first vehicle creation, Scania and tanker trailer. Also further away is Mercedes-Benz Atego 815 made by me, this truck soon going to be made for CSL using my newest method.

scania-shell_atego-jpg.15270

• Original Poster
  • Slowly going further in texturing this building. Even if textures are 1024x2048 used, some parts are in low detail, mainly because of strict optimization, this building has 2411 tris and the end result will have less, because I made extra edges and vertices for easier UV mapping, which will be removed after that. So huge building has less tris than my car, how unfair ;) . Also it is the first time I make some AO for building, for C:SL.

Here is WiP state:

preview-WiP-1.jpg

And real life building(s):

aerial-view-prefab-houses-karoliniskes-v

• Original Poster
  • Finally finished making diffuse texture for this building. It never gets to a level I want it to be, (texturing is not my strong side).

I will have to do other required textures in the next couple of days and, probably, soon it's getting into Workshop.

preview-WiP-2.jpg

15 hours ago, pauliaxz said:

Finally finished making diffuse texture for this building. It never gets to a level I want it to be, (texturing is not my strong side).

I will have to do other required textures in the next couple of days and, probably, soon it's getting into Workshop.

preview-WiP-2.jpg

I think the textures look very good! Look forward to the release of this building.

• Original Poster
  • So here it is released now. 6 variations in total (skins). RICO mod of course. You can buildings in this collection

Screenshots:

84FE316E46849467AC134A1431B00CD641810302

FC61ED0DFCD116891FFA9A397E36B452F6AC47FE

5844F937E962EB639F2DA8390A076DCFC2EBBCCB

00702A5123EF776BA2BDEB436057412A3801C2B7

Also, I will reveal my next planned before it is even started (in spoiler)

It is going to be a Mercedes-Benz Atego 815 

dscf0014.jpg

• Original Poster
  • Little by little, finished making the mesh of this Mercedes-Benz Atego 815. Preliminary triangle count is 4881, but not get scared of that, ratio of tris and volume is much lower than my passenger cars. In the second pic you can see how 4 of my cars can fit inside (4 cars make 9700 tris in total). 

mb atego stage1.JPG

mb atego with 4 cars in.JPG

• Original Poster
  • 24 minutes ago, Sparks44 said:

Looks awesome, Id love to see it uploaded as a prop as well as vehicle.:thumb:

It will be, from now on I upload prop versions also. Only the old creations are lacking it, which is meant to change soon.

• Original Poster
  • And it is now released. Final triangle count is 4925. I wish to make it less, but in that case I would sacrifice the detail I love to include in my vehicles.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=880130727

2FB6F932880D7E9F3CE834404194417B59463C85

What's next? Back to car modelling! Now 3 new cars are on the list (continuing my car modelling series - 90s; 2000s and 10s). Exact car models will be revealed later.

• Original Poster
  • Today did a lot of work. In about 7 hours of work did smoothing groups, did whole UV map, and made final diffuse texture. End result is below, soon to be released to Workshop, because the hardest work is done.

850 textured.jpg

Wow, almost photo-real! What a wonderful model!

btw: please include a 'vanilla pudding yellow' version (with dark gray rims), because it's the quintessential T5-R color!

201211011800435902.jpg
    A friend of my dad used to have one of those (a yellow one, of course), and g**damn those things can haul ass :O Fantastic car!