pauliaxz

pauliaxz's modding projects (Škoda Yeti [WiP])

82 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello ST community,

I will use this topic to show my upcoming, work in progress and finished mods for Cities: Skylines. Some may know, some may not - I make soviet style buildings and car models.

Here is some showcase of my already made mods:

Link to steam collection of my residential soviet buildings. Series 1-464LI

Spoiler

50735C220209BE68E048A96414780B51709A88A0

Vehicle mods:

Link to steam collection of my passenger cars mods

Link to my steam collection of heavy land vehicles (buses, trucks)

Spoiler

A0BDB0A517D4D2299D3F9D8D548ACF77AF764626

AF578D29159AC35183FE3829A818943A99EBB5F3

2BEEDF909E586093C78C8D645EBD6658662D362D

Here is the link to all my planned, WiP, released vehicles list in Trello website

Welcome on board, Pauliaxz :) 

I've seen your cars in the Workshop, and they look fantastic, but for me personally they are a bit too heavy in file size (> 2.5-5MB). I've seen very good car models weighing in at around 1-1.5MB, and since I want to have some diversity I opted to sub to more those rather than just a couple of yours (my laptop's resources and computing power is limited, so I have to make choices unfortunately). Having said that, 2.0 - 2.5MB still is reasonable (although - imho. - more than 3-3.5MB, like your older vehicles, is too much), and even though I have chosen not to download them, I am sure plenty of other players are very happy with your awesome wheeled creations!

NB: I'm not a modeler, so I don't know what tris count is needed to create adequately accurate car models, so I can't help you with that.
And one more thing: I'm surprised that your older vehicles are almost twice as large as your later ones (5MB vs. 2.5MB), despite having about the same tris count and texture size.

• Original Poster
  • 5 MB is because I add two .crp into one (two color sets). One car is aproximately 2.4MB

If I used 512x512 textures, size would be even smaller, but I prefer 1024x1024

Everything is explained in describtion btw

16 minutes ago, Judazzz said:

I'm surprised that your older vehicles are almost twice as large as your later ones (5MB vs. 2.5MB), despite having about the same tris count and texture size.

File size depends more on whats ON the texture, not the actual size. A photorealistic 512x512 texture will always be bigger in file size than a 2048x2048 Flat-colored texture :)

Other images like the PreviewImage, snapshot and thumbnails also influence the definitive file size (so keep them as small as possible) and not keep them 1920x1080 (screenshot) like me because I was too lazy to crop them :P 

• Original Poster
  • I know that, Tim, but we are talking about car texture. So 512x and 1024x would have same details, colors etc. in it. So size would differ.

• Original Poster
  • Here I show what I currently do when I have some time for it. Making RICO compatible my soviet style 5 stories buildings. It will consist of Middle, Left and Right sections (5x5 ; 4x5 ; 5x5). Models are partially rebuilt (added glazed balconies, extra room sections)

5fl rico wip.jpg

8 hours ago, Tim The Terrible said:

File size depends more on whats ON the texture, not the actual size. A photorealistic 512x512 texture will always be bigger in file size than a 2048x2048 Flat-colored texture :)

Other images like the PreviewImage, snapshot and thumbnails also influence the definitive file size (so keep them as small as possible) and not keep them 1920x1080 (screenshot) like me because I was too lazy to crop them :P 

Are you talking about about general texturefilesizes or texturequality to crp outcome?

Because I had flat grey testtextures in 1024² and they still produced roughly the same filesizes as detailed 1024²s

As far as I know, the asset editor is compressing the textures during the savingprocess. The filesize of the texture before the compressing process starts seems to hardly matter. You can have a 10mb 1024² texture and a 1mb 1024², but after saving, the filesize would be very simular. In my experience, 1024² textures will allways produce a crp with the rough filesize of 2,9-3,5mb (for buildings), while 512² usually ends up at around 1,5mb, give or take a few hundred kb.

10 minutes ago, Feindbold said:

Are you talking about about general texturefilesizes or texturequality to crp outcome?

I was talking about texture quality, but I didn't actually know what the outcome of the .crp would be. I forgot about the compressing part, so thanks for the additional info :)

• Original Poster
  • 17 hours ago, OcramsRzr said:

How is your transition from modding Cities XL?

Why transition? I still can mod both games, but here comes the free time... The lack of...

And it's been long since I uploaded my first work to C:SL workshop (June 2015)

• Original Poster
  • Well, these buildings series are most common out of all apartments built in soviet era in my country. There a lot more to come in the future. 

My CSL modding objective is to make buildings that are common in my country and real car brands models to ride in my streets.

• Original Poster
  • This car is being shaped little by little. Today finished stage 1 out of whole car making process. In total 2160 triangles (won't change if I haven't made some mesh typos).

Stages which I will mark green if finished:

• Stage 1 - Fully made mesh model.
    • Stage 2 - Fully smoothed mesh model.
    • Stage 3 - Fully UV mapped model.
    • Stage 4 - Fully made diffuse texture (baked and edited)
    • Stage 5 - Fully made other required textures
    • Stage 6 - Fully made LOD
    • Stage 7 - .crp file(s) created and tested in-game.
    • Stage 8 - Uploaded to Steam Workshop for public use.

And a screenshot of stage 1 (as you see model in first stage doesn't look that appealing :D)

renault_megane_2 stage 1.jpg

• Original Poster
  • Got a question to experienced ModTools users. I spent some time trying to search for asset_tooltip picture of one of my assets that I want to update but searches were unsuccessful. I don't have my old asset_tooltip anymore, and I want to get it from my asset's .crp file. Could anyone give me advice how to acquire it?

And one more thing, some time ago I don't know how but I did rotated the sun light direction in Asset Importer window (dialog where you choose the fbx file and the scene view is on the right). But recently when I tried again I was unable to, so could anyone remind me the controls used to rotate sun light direction (in Asset Importer window, not the Asset Editor itself)

1 hour ago, Badi_Dea said:

*insert joke about mirrored hood texture here* ;)

I hope you know it's supposed to be mirrored :) All emergency vehicles have/had that, so drivers read it correctly in their rear-view mirrors.