bsquiklehausen

bsquiklehausen's Assets and Vehicles - New Seattle Center Monorail!

30 posts in this topic Last Reply

I know a lot of you from the subreddit and through Steam already, but I figured it may not be dumb to start a thread of my stuff here to post some WIPs and updated stuff - for both feedback and ego stroking.

For the most part, I make American style and American-centric vehicles, and I while I use real prototypes, I'll design (or blatantly rip off) my own liveries and designs. I also try to focus on keeping the polygon counts low, and the detail levels appropriate for the game (even with the aggressive LODs, I feel like responsible polycounts 

Here's what I have so far!

AMERICAN COMMUTER TRAINS

My trio of American Commuter Trains are all made for the fictional CimRail - originally CalTrain inspired, but now taking equipment cues from Metro North and the Seattle Sounder. Each train is set up to use in-game line colors.

R8yiQJD.pngv8tRcAo.pngnZ4Xd3f.png

Other Trains

Inspired by the JFK Airtrain here in New York City, the SkyConnect is perfect to link your airport terminals to each other and to transit connections. It also features line colors.

tEyQQFT.png

The vanilla freight train looked terrible, and the only way to get an authentic American look was to add insane variety. My freight trains feature 2 different locomotives and 75 unique cars!

lSQYUvE.png

BETTER PLANES PACK

Similarly to the freight trains, I made 13 jet airliners, with a total of 50 texture variants to jazz up airports. These feature some of the more heavily ripped-off liveries, though a couple are nice and original.

931ntiF.pngDX35hDT.pnguXxKHOY.pngtHGbEQ5.pngVb62Cxk.png

CITYLINK PASSENGER TRAINS (SOME WIP)

And now for the work in progress stuff - I'm revamping my current Amtrak ripoff/inspired Citylink Long Distance train, and adding some Citylink single deck equipment like I see around New York. The revamp includes some better normal maps and new colors as another attempt on bare stainless steel. (My Genesis/Superliners image is old - sorry!)

r2U8xst.pngqnUGf1t.pngzaqkQSi.png

That's it for now - I'll post more WIP pics of new stuff once I make it! Expect a release of the new Citylink stuff soon-ish.

Cool stuff! Do you have more precise numbers on your polycount & texture sizes, I'm curious to see just how good these are (in terms of performance) since they look pretty good

• Original Poster
  • Just now, DeltaGamer said:

Cool stuff! Do you have more precise numbers on your polycount & texture sizes, I'm curious to see just how good these are (in terms of performance) since they look pretty good

The planes have polycounts listed on their Workshop pages, though the other assets don't. For textures, everything except the freight cars have 1024x textures, and the freight cars get away with only 512x ones. Generally though - polycounts are usually below 1500 for the more detailed assets, though the largest jets clear 2000 and even 2500 (due to lots of wheels and engines), and the ACS-64 is high as well thanks to modeled pantograph and electric detail.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/bsquiklehausen/myworkshopfiles/?appid=255710&p=1

Love your work! I don't have the default planes land anymore, just a selection of yours. I think you've found a very good balance between looks and optimization and it always makes me happy to see another creator who keeps that in mind. :) And I absolutely love that you create brands for the game - it just feels so much cooler! :D

• Original Poster
  • RELEASED: US Intercity Passenger Train and US Medium Distance Passenger Train

It's release time for the two trains I posted above! Check them out!

Medium Distance Passenger Train: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=746260008

Intercity Passenger Train: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=746261346

I also got a patch out for the Long Distance Passenger train to bring its coloring into the same style as the newer trains and to add more detail to the locomotive.

On 8/15/2016 at 4:58 AM, Avanya said:

Love your work! I don't have the default planes land anymore, just a selection of yours. I think you've found a very good balance between looks and optimization and it always makes me happy to see another creator who keeps that in mind. :) And I absolutely love that you create brands for the game - it just feels so much cooler! :D

How do you block the default airplanes? I'm assuming you're using a mod... 

• Original Poster
  • All aboard the retexture train!

RELEASED: Better Planes Pack Strictoastair Addon Set

1A0897758B6F32385E7E2C0F4241A1FF25FB2A57

A somewhat silly one to add some toaster-tailed jets to your local airport. Because this was made for Strictoaster and his fairly large Cedar Valley airport, it includes all sizes of jets. If you have a smaller airport, but still want to see some Strictoastair love, just disable the larger planes with AVO in game.

5 hours ago, Darf said:

These look great! If you make the windowsbackground a bit darker the windows will look more realistic.

HAHAHA Good luck with convincing him to do that :D  (I've been trying for a long time) I'll answer for him because he's not on the forums much: He want's his assets to look like vanilla assets, and never uses real names/brands.

• Original Poster
  • 9 hours ago, Darf said:

These look great! If you make the windowsbackground a bit darker the windows will look more realistic.

3 hours ago, Tim The Terrible said:

HAHAHA Good luck with convincing him to do that :D  (I've been trying for a long time) I'll answer for him because he's not on the forums much: He want's his assets to look like vanilla assets, and never uses real names/brands.

Yep - Tim got it pretty much right. I did go darker on my airplanes though, so I may shift that look to the trains eventually. The new Citylink trains used a slightly darker window color than the older trains, and the new updated textures are to bring the oldest trains in line with the newer ones in terms of detail and material.

• Original Poster
  • It's taken far longer than it should have, but the revamp of the Modern American Commuter Train is uploaded! Totally revamped and remade textures with more detail and better normal and specular maps, added Vehicle Effects compatibility, added proper LOD models (though the generated ones weren't actually that bad), and tuned up some lean/nod values for a better, more realistic package.

I may do another touchup at some point as the locomotive is definitely bright. I don't want it to match the cars exactly, but i don't want it washing all the way white either.

KUxc56D.jpg

• Original Poster
  • With the threat of visible, elevated metro trains on the horizon, I feel like I'd be missing out if I didn't make any of New York's best subway trains - I still have a couple left to go, but these'll be released once Metro Overhaul comes out, so you don't have to use those horrible, horrible ones that come with the mod. I bet the maker of those is a real idiot.

yqvubuK.jpg3UrDHzH.jpgCsw5DD8WgAAokKF.jpg:largeCs2cafoVUAAGQpZ.jpg:large

(for those who don't know - I made the default MoM M100 trains)

• Original Poster
  • WBbZtag.jpg

Man, do I love transit! There's some new stuff hiding in this picture, as well as a bunch of old stuff about to be re-released in different configurations, so you can really select the perfect set of trains for your commuter service! By the end of the process, I want players to be able to accurately (or nearly accurately) get most of the major consists from Boston, Washington DC/Baltimore,  Seattle, San Diego, Chicago, Virginia, San Francisco, San Jose, Connecticut, New Jersey, and Long Island. That means 6 locomotives (5 done!), 2 EMUs, and 5 car types (4 done!) mixed and matched into the correct trains.

This project also included (finally!) the texture revisions of the old F59PHI and Bombardier Bilevel cars, as well as further touchups on the P42 Genesis, ACS-64 Sprinter, and a new Genesis Regional Citylink consist.

All that's left are 4 more models and textures, 3 more configs, and setting up Vehicle Effects for all the trains. Hopefully that'll be my fill of commuter trains again - it's a lot to go from 3 trains to a grand total of 16!

Hi bsquiklehausen! 

I really like your train car assets and long trains, but I was wondering if you have thought about making a tutorial on how to create custom trains and custom lengths? I've asked on Steam with no luck and I'm searching here but I haven't seen anything yet. I have no idea how to do this so I don't know if it would be easy or hard for you to do but it would be really appreciated. Your long freight trains are amazing but I just wanted to add some other cars for variety as well as some different locomotives. Any help would be great.

Thanks!

• Original Poster
  • @jmdude1 - Do you mean creating tutorials for using the asset editor to make custom consists, or full-on modelling and texturing tutorials? I suppose I could do the asset editor ones (though I try to have enough existing consists to satisfy everyone!), but I won't do a modelling tutorial because I use a very expensive piece of software to model, and I do not want to have to try and answer questions from people using other 3D packages.

@bsquiklehausen Yes, just the asset editor for custom trains. I think there are many locomotives and rail cars on the workshop and I just wanted to put them into a long train. I guess it doesn't even have to be a full tutorial, even a quick how to would be great. Thanks for your reply.