R3V0

REV0's - Shinkansen E5

431 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi. Firstly i need to say i have been waiting for this train for a long time. To the point i have propositioned a few of the big train modelers to make it for me and Ill pay them. So happy to flow a donation for your work (especially if we can negotiate some custom skins for it)

However you make it will be great. I gotta say Im more of a fan of the tech dtawings on the link you posted then whats been put into production. Only difference really is a sharper angled front. Also the Swiss Rail Livery in the mock ups looks way better then what they've ended up going with

Welcome to the site! :) The model looks good overall but you could really optimize certain areas which have way more vertices than you need. If you tweak these parts you could easily lower your tris count...

57aa0c2cbf6e9_2016-08-09(3).png.9f3e1abddf22b6ebeefa5ee86a6afa96.png

On 2016-08-09 at 8:14 PM, R3V0 said:

4. Assuming that I'll see the end, I couldn't find any source which tells me how to use train line colors on the model. Is there a sort varible in blender or is it a game engine black magic happening ? 

It's a game engine black magic, you should learn some spells. Anyway, on a serious note. There is _c texture (color mask): full white area is colorable part, full black area is not colorable. Color mask just paints a color (set in game) over your diffuse texture (_d) so areas you want to paint leave in white color in diffuse texture, or gray.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks everyone for their comments, appreciated !

On 11/08/2016 at 1:46 AM, sachizm said:

Hi. Firstly i need to say i have been waiting for this train for a long time. To the point i have propositioned a few of the big train modelers to make it for me and Ill pay them. So happy to flow a donation for your work (especially if we can negotiate some custom skins for it)

However you make it will be great. I gotta say Im more of a fan of the tech dtawings on the link you posted then whats been put into production. Only difference really is a sharper angled front. Also the Swiss Rail Livery in the mock ups looks way better then what they've ended up going with

So far I'm thinking about TWINDEXX:

Classic 4 car version with CFF variant with two engines attached (need to rework on nose)

- 6 car Geneva - Lausanne line (CFF)

- Gray/Black International variant

- Then with CFF colors but lines will be represented on the haul. 

- Then I can gladly take requests of other repaints no issues. 

Regarding to development of the TWINDEXX. I decided to rework on the haul, nose will be redone. However I'm planning to make CFF 2035 collection, so another train in this collection will be Stadler EC250 Giruno. I'm also continuing on Giruno and reworking on TWINDEXX with the knowledge I'll be gathering on Giruno. My main issue, is again TRISS count. As it can be seen below, this is only one car and I have almost 4K Triss on them. Car itself is only 300tris, gears are taking most of the TRIS count. Pantograph is another 700, despite the fact I decimated most of the shapes. You think is it an overkill to make this something is wrong with the model itself ? 

(I'm aware wheels are intersecting with the car itself, will fix that)

2016-08-12 (1).png

2016-08-12.png

IMO I'd try to avoid adding too much detail to the trucks. Most of the game is played from 2500 feet in the air, ain't nobody but the serious rivet counters are going to be looking at the wheels.

Hell I put ~100 polys into the wheels on my MP54 and I thought that was about twice what it should be.

8-sided cylinder per wheel, some simple polys for the equalizer bar and the load-bearing components, maybe another 8-sided cylinder if it's got disc brakes, but overall most of that stuff isn't easily visible under normal gameplay conditions and can be omitted.

• Original Poster
  • Understood. I reduced gears further (saved 2k tris hahaha), also made a conception error, duplicate gears on both end while I was supposed to leave one out, since it's connected to the car in front on gear chassis. 

So far, I have 6 cars + 2 engines on both ends and have 15k triss

Gotta fix that lower car issue and it's good to be textured 

Update on TWINDEXX - Reworked on front

2016-08-13.png

2016-08-12 (2).png

• Original Poster
  • Hello again ! 

I have a weird issue right now with the game. I can locate the model in the asset editor but I see through.. Also when it's selected, it's not showed up in the game. I somehow solved upside down model problem, but this one still persists. 

Various remarks: 

- Each set has a different material (Gears, wheels and main body have specific material. During the export I use "export selected" without gears and other stuff. 

- Pivot point is (0,0,0)

- It currently runs on Blender Render. In Cycles it wasn't seen even during the selection menu in CS. 

- .fbx and 1 png file (d) has same names. 

2016-08-16 (1).png

2016-08-16 (3).png

2016-08-16 (4).png

Definately looks like half the model has the faces the wrong side. Try selecting everything in edit mode and hit ctrl + N. That should make all faces point outwards. Otherwise you'll have to flip the problem ones manually.

There's a bunch of settings for export in blender that need to be checked or unchecked. I've added an image that shows the settings (scale might not be right). Hope that helps. :)

dNfrz7O.png

• Original Poster
  • 1 hour ago, Avanya said:

Definately looks like half the model has the faces the wrong side. Try selecting everything in edit mode and hit ctrl + N. That should make all faces point outwards. Otherwise you'll have to flip the problem ones manually.

There's a bunch of settings for export in blender that need to be checked or unchecked. I've added an image that shows the settings (scale might not be right). Hope that helps. :)

Thanks for the help Avanya, I fixed the normals and I loaded the asset with success. This time however I have another issue, while asset is loaded properly;

1. There's an issue with the scale and I cant find a correct value without seeing the rails (Can we add rails in vehicle asset editor so I can scale the asset back in blender ? At least what's the mx. height for rails or even gauge width ?)

2. More importantly, it is covered in red coat.

I'm sorry to bother you all, I don't like to ask newbie questions but I cant find any solution online

Cities_ Skylines 16.08.2016 20_44_48.png

We've all been there. I have hammered Acc3s Violation with question too when I began.

First of all, I can never really get the right scale either. All I know 1 cell ingame is 8m. One thing you can do is load the mesh as a builing, you'll then be able to put tracks underneath. An other way is to just try some scales and check in a city or something.

Secondly, it's red because of the Color Variations (Material in the Editor) You can either set them all to white, or add a completely black colormap [filename]_c.png. White area's on a colormap indicate which parts can be colored according to line color or color variations set in the Material submenu. You can also just turn off Color Variations in the Vehicle General submenu, although there won't be any visual changes in the Edito screen yet. It should work as you save it.

Hope this helps :)

• Original Poster
  • It helped a lot, thank you, two last thing before passing to the rest of the models: 

Vehicle Asset Editor doesn't seem working ? 

I added trailers, but I don't have the dropdown menu as its manual had mentioned

(http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/478839602/535150948601995038/)  

Instead, I think, game itself overrides it, because i noticed I can't add a third light on top. 

Also, any idea how to give reflection to windows like default train cars ? I tried values given in Steam page (120 or something for windows), but it seems it's only valid for buildings not for vehicle assets ? Should i give 100% reflection to windows in order to solve this ? I have no idea honestly. 

2016-08-16 (5).png

Are you talking about window reflections so it has some shine level or nightlighting so that windows will be lit at night?

For first case it is _s.png specular texture with white meaning full specularity, black - matte.

For second case - _i.png texture. Unfortunately, I dont know the color code system for trains. But there should be somewhere in the guides, or some train modders will come here and tell.

EDIT. Here is a link to train illumination tutorial: http://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/69055-train-illumination-tutorialupdated/

Edited by pauliaxz  

updated with new info

I suggest you apply some smooth shading (in Blender) before saving the asset, it doesn't look right. I don't know why AVE isn't working for you, if the issue persist I will try on my PC as well. 

As for Specularity, Black (0, 0, 0) is no specularity, and while (255, 255, 255) is full. You can use any shade of grey in between.

For Illumination, I (using GIMP) use 122, 122, 122 for no illumination, any shade of black (full) to light grey (dimmed) for illumination of windows, and white for the headlights (area that lights up white when trains drives forward in the night (duhh)). Red rear lights are not available unfortunatly.

Congrats on your first asset man, it looks great!!!

I saw your remark about the texture size and the fact that it may have been caused by using .png's. They can be pretty huge indeed, but 35-40MB for a 2048x2048 pixel .png sounds awfully big to me, even with 32-bit colors. So I was wondering: when you saved your texture, did you make sure the image was flattened? I use Fireworks, and that program offers 2 options for .png: saving means keeping all layers (which you only do to save your 'master' or source file), exporting means all layers will be flattened resulting in a massively smaller file size (which you do when you want to use the image itself, be it as a texture, a web image, or whatnot) - I'm pretty sure other graphics programs offer options to flatten your file before saving as well...

• Original Poster
  • 49 minutes ago, Judazzz said:

Congrats on your first asset man, it looks great!!!

I saw your remark about the texture size and the fact that it may have been caused by using .png's. They can be pretty huge indeed, but 35-40MB for a 2048x2048 pixel .png sounds awfully big to me, even with 32-bit colors. So I was wondering: when you saved your texture, did you make sure the image was flattened? I use Fireworks, and that program offers 2 options for .png: saving means keeping all layers (which you only do to save your 'master' or source file), exporting means all layers will be flattened resulting in a massively smaller file size (which you do when you want to use the image itself, be it as a texture, a web image, or whatnot) - I'm pretty sure other graphics programs offer options to flatten your file before saving as well...

Could it be "Interlaced" in PS ? 

I'm using PS6

I'm not 100% sure, but I doubt it's interlaced (that has to do with the [vertical] resolution and line-skipping, iirc.) I'm not a heavy PS user, but does it have an option called "Flatten layers", or something like that? Or an option called "Save for web" (which is basically the same as "Export" in Fireworks), and if so, does it give you an option to save for web as .png? If so, what is the size of the 'saved for web'-image, compared to the texture you have used for your asset?

• Original Poster
  • 10 minutes ago, Judazzz said:

I'm not 100% sure, but I doubt it's interlaced (that has to do with the [vertical] resolution and line-skipping, iirc.) I'm not a heavy PS user, but does it have an option called "Flatten layers", or something like that? Or an option called "Save for web" (which is basically the same as "Export" in Fireworks), and if so, does it give you an option to save for web as .png? If so, what is the size of the 'saved for web'-image, compared to the texture you have used for your asset?

Tried "Save for web"

Gave me pretty much same results. Also for IC variant, i used compressed tar. files. It made only 10mb of difference: 

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=748394486

Well, it's still 10MB less, right?
    I'm not a modeler myself, and my knowledge of imagery is based on web design/graphics, so maybe one of our resident modelers can chime in and offer some help.

• Original Poster
  • Just now, Judazzz said:

Well, it's still 10MB less, right?
    I'm not a modeler myself, and my knowledge of imagery is based on web design/graphics, so maybe one of our resident modelers can chime in and offer some help.

Another thing could be Vehicle Asset Editor. Maybe I'm doing something wrong during the creation: 

- Import all cars into import folder

- Open CS, asset editor, create cars individually as assets. 

- Open the engine as last, add trailers, edit and switch trailers with those asset'ed' cars. 

Sorry, I can't help you with the vehicle editor. Maybe Tim (the Terrible) knows - he has released a bunch of awesome cargo trains.

Oh, almost forgot: did you find an option like "Flatten layers"? If it exists in PS, and assuming PS doesn't auto-flatten images when saving, maybe you'll need to do that first before saving the image?

• Original Poster
  • 8 minutes ago, Judazzz said:

Sorry, I can't help you with the vehicle editor. Maybe Tim (the Terrible) knows - he has released a bunch of awesome cargo trains.

Oh, almost forgot: did you find an option like "Flatten layers"? If it exists in PS, and assuming PS doesn't auto-flatten images when saving, maybe you'll need to do that first before saving the image?

No, sadly couldn't find aynthing which resembles that option

Just save them as high quality jpegs, but I think the cars are other objects. Did you also use 2048x2048 for those? The size is roughly equivalent of 3 2048x2048 assets.

• Original Poster
  • 2 minutes ago, Darf said:

Just save them as high quality jpegs, but I think the cars are other objects. Did you also use 2048x2048 for those? The size is roughly equivalent of 3 2048x2048 assets.

Yes, all of them are 2K. 

PS auto-flattens when saving as .png so that shouldn't be the issue. I'm just wondering if the trains are doing what the busses did a bit back for RedLabel. For some reason he ended up with a large filesize when using the default bus as the template, but using an older bus from the workshop or a normal car it was a much more reasonable size. If there's nothing that seem to explain it, then I'd suggest grabbing a random custom train off the workshop as the template and reimport the files.

• Original Poster
  • 2 hours ago, Avanya said:

PS auto-flattens when saving as .png so that shouldn't be the issue. I'm just wondering if the trains are doing what the busses did a bit back for RedLabel. For some reason he ended up with a large filesize when using the default bus as the template, but using an older bus from the workshop or a normal car it was a much more reasonable size. If there's nothing that seem to explain it, then I'd suggest grabbing a random custom train off the workshop as the template and reimport the files.

Update: 

Grabbed a random train as base asset: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=730504141

File sizes are still identical. *sigh* 

Any other ideas ? LOL

Meanwhile I'll continue to work on Twindexx, with 1k textures this time

• Original Poster
  • Progress update on TWINDEXX

Project is moving very well, very well indeed. I decided to continue with 2K resolution on this one, consequently I will also release with classic texture sizes, since the train is intended to be used on lines where passenger count is high, therefore more trains. 

More liveries will follow the initial release, perhaps a OBB fan livery. 

I will move on to Hitachi Caravaggio, once Twindexx set is complete. 

2016-08-26 (5).png

2016-08-26 (7).png

2016-08-26 (8).png