6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hey there!

I have some great ideas for new projects, based on a real life buildings. But they are all much bigger than the allowed grid size. Max tile size is around 12x13 while these buildings need at least 20x20. Have any of you made huge buildings like these? How did you do it? You scale it down? You just go bigger and place no props there? Please tell me your experiences.

Best regards,

Kliekie

My current method and the best way right now is to make your building in multiple sections and put it all together in one workshop asset with Sub-Buildings Enabler. That's what I did with my World Trade Center. It's a HUGE complex, I had to split it into 11 buildings/lots, with some of the buildings themselves split in the middle: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=604027793

Another option is to do the same thing but without sub-buildings, which would be more difficult for people to use as they have to fit the parts together manually. That can be a problem if they don't understand directions. I've seen a few people outright build my individually-ploppable WTC in OCD-defying ways or forgetting whole parts. One guy on Youtube spent what must have been 15 minutes just trying to figure out how to plop one part in relation to the others. But if you're curious how those buildings were split, try the non-sub-buildings version: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=519426572

Others may have suggested a larger footprints mod, but I haven't seen people use that in ages, and I think there were issues with it.

Some may also suggest outright just importing the full model and just plopping it regardless of how far outside the lot it goes, which means you'll have trees and other buildings cutting in to the building. That's the really sloppy way, I wouldn't suggest it.

So I think your best bet is Sub-Buildings Enabler: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=553501635

• Original Poster
  • Hmm that looks like a good option. Do people need to have the mod installed in order for it to work? Plus is there no max grid size?
    Might take some time to get the hang of all that, but thank goodness summer vacation is right around the corner :)

7 minutes ago, Kliekie said:

Hmm that looks like a good option. Do people need to have the mod installed in order for it to work? Plus is there no max grid size?
    Might take some time to get the hang of all that, but thank goodness summer vacation is right around the corner :)

Yes, they need to have the mod subbed and enabled, but it's a small task to perform compared to manually building the parts or not having them at all :P

I don't know of a max grid size. You can probably recreate the world's biggest buildings with sub-buildings if you wanted. The Boeing Everett factory, Pentagon, my old high school :P (which is slightly wider than the Pentagon, just not as big or tall overall), and so on.

It's pretty easy. Just build the building as you would normally, full size, then lay out a grid under it and decide how you want to divide it. Then divide it and treat each section as its own lot. Each section will have its own lot and have to be imported as its own asset. Each section will be its own model with its own set of textures. This is actually good if it's a super large building with a lot of varied details, then you can have more texture space overall for lots of unique and hi-res details.

• Original Poster
  • 4 minutes ago, boldlybuilding said:

Yes, they need to have the mod subbed and enabled, but it's a small task to perform compared to manually building the parts or not having them at all :P

I don't know of a max grid size. You can probably recreate the world's biggest buildings with sub-buildings if you wanted. The Boeing Everett factory, Pentagon, my old high school :P (which is slightly wider than the Pentagon, just not as big or tall overall), and so on.

It's pretty easy. Just build the building as you would normally, full size, then lay out a grid under it and decide how you want to divide it. Then divide it and treat each section as its own lot. Each section will have its own lot and have to be imported as its own asset. Each section will be its own model with its own set of textures. This is actually good if it's a super large building with a lot of varied details, then you can have more texture space overall for lots of unique and hi-res details.

This is gonna be interesting, thanks! :D

Note that the SBE mod is only required when you plop the building. Even if it stops working some day (which is highly unlikely), all placed buildings will still be there.

it also allows you to use one part multiple times in a building and you can create non-square footprints (e.g. L-shaped or any other angle)