Sign in to follow this  
anselm_eickhoff

How I'm getting along

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Seems like a reasonable quantity of work is being done considering the conditions.  You like C++ better than Java Script.  This is not surprising.  What are you doing about staying portable between operating systems?

• Original Poster
  • All the libraries I base my work on are already cross-platform (OpenGL, GLFW, ...). The most hairy thing I predict will be different video cards and their capabilities - I'm aiming for OpenGL 3.3 with minimal extensions there. The only other issue that I can foresee now is endianness for save game formats - but this is an old and solvable problem.

Glad to hear that.  If you stay with public domain stuff, the only thing necessary will be a platform compile using conditionals in the makefile.

I'm so happy for you! You have developed libraries in C++ for doing what you want for CityBound and seem to be thriving in the new programming language and environment. Keep up the great work!

I want to look at how you worked with JavaScript/ECMAScript before and what you were able to accomplish (not your code per sé because I'm making a game where the environment can be considered a 3D grid rendered in 2D and my game will be online, eventually with leaderboards, cloud snapshots (saves statistics and room placement only), and annoying social features I never considered before) for inspiration and realistic goals.

It is sort of a shame that I will have to bridge the gap between Dream Heights, Corporation Inc, and IsoTower if I am to carve out my own niche, instead of bridging the gap between Yoot Tower and LinCity because there are 5+ desktop games being developed and they look retro while doing things I want to do. This forces me to go with an online game that is either free or freemium that looks and feels unique. I would sure love advice regarding the use of ECMAScript and HTML5.

The answers to my questions are on the Internet:

JavaScript on the client side might as well be open source. (Good move on your part, switching to C++)

Multicore JavaScript requires a library.

Running the game on the server allows a range of devices to have similar experiences & performance and different clients could be developed to utilize different inputs (keyboard, mouse, touch screen) while protecting most of the code.

Edited by OcramsRzr  

Correction & update

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Larma
        My game crashes about 5 minutes into loading a map even on vanilla (-noWorkshop -noMods). I'm guessing it has something to do with my RAM based on similar posts, but  shouldn't 8gb of ram enough even for the un-modded game?
        The full log
        E: My specs:
        Operating System
            Windows 10 Home 64-bit
        CPU
            AMD FX-8320   
            Vishera 32nm Technology
        RAM
            8,00Gt Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 722MHz (9-9-9-24)
        Motherboard
            ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A97 R2.0 (Socket 942)   
        Graphics
            S22B300 (1920x1080@60Hz)
            V226HQL (1920x1080@60Hz)
            4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (Gigabyte)   
        Storage
            931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 (SATA)  
            100GB Microsoft Storage Space Device (SATA)   
            930GB Microsoft Storage Space Device (SATA)   
        Optical Drives
            ASUS DRW-24F1ST a
        Audio
            Realtek High Definition Audio
      • By AmiPolizeiFunk
        Two different authors have had their assets break in the last 24h after trying to update them. I wonder if CO changed something? 
        broken satellite dish prop: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=904028991
        broken ferry: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1111278454

In the main menu when I went to "ASSETS", modtools spat out an Image Error. And C:S showed wrong thumbnails for those assets.

anybody know what may be going on?

• By AmiPolizeiFunk
        I frequently run walking or biking paths next to roads, painstakingly aligned for aesthetics w/ MoveIt. When I want to change the road type, or even simply change the network skin, it destroys all of my nearby paths. Is there a way to update a road type non-destructively? This has been a nuisance for a year now and I guess I finally feel like posting about it.

I've had to either a. rebuild everything that it destroys, or b. drag stuff away from the update in advance, and then drag the stuff back. Since my stuff is usually heavily layered, both of these solutions suck. Do you guys have any ideas?
      • By Don_Pato

2012, Jarunja City - The government became Tennis, a serious sport. In effect was built the Jarunja Open Stadium. This event is the most important in the region.

• By AmiPolizeiFunk
        As expected, my save failed to load. What's the protocol here? Should I disable all mods and try to add them back one-by-one?

Let's help each other out by listing out mods that have been broken and should definitely be disabled. Who will go first?