anselm_eickhoff

After just two years, I'm starting properly!

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

I think you've made the right move.  Are you familiar with Frank Brokken's standard C++ manual at the University of Groningen?  It is kept up to the very latest standards and some draft work.  You can use this reference as a check that you haven't strayed too far from portability.

Your two years of prototyping have shown something I have always known, but hoped was not the case:  Internet stuff is just too slow and too limited to be used in a program where speed in critical.  With C++, if you have to, you can get right down on the iron and code in assembler.  I hope you will find the g++ compiler system to your taste.  It allows multiple languages to link in the same program, and I have always believe in "horses for courses".  Pure C++ programming is for application programmers writing simple business applications and they should probably be writing in COBOL.

I hope your mod kit will make things very easy for people.  If mods are to be procedural, then a very good encapsulated library similar to, but much larger than, CDK III will be necessary.

In case you don't have a reference, here is a link to Dr. Brokken's work.

Good luck with this, Anselm.  I hope the conversion of the existing stuff will be a good tune up for C++.  You may find you don't much care for it after the first iteration, but it is important to persevere.

John C. Winterton,
Professor, Computer Science (retired).

I'm taking a a freshman-level "Intro to Programming and Design" course in C with Visual Studio. I'm glad I won't try to learn JavaScript until I want to make a vector-based SimTower clone. Using C (and C++) is great!

Marco, have a care with Visual Studio.  It will lock you into to Microsoft's methods without telling you. 

You should download a copy of gcc on your home machine and make sure all your examples will compile with it.  If you are going to learn programming, portability is very important.  The annotated standard is here.  You should find a makefile utility that you like.

I'm downright ecstatic that Anselm figured out a good programming language!

My class requires Microsoft Visual Studio and teaches in C.

I have used Code:Blocks to compile open source games (and tweak them to add custom content) using C++

As has been stated plenty of times before.  Much of this is more technical than my knowledge.  That being said, as a user vs. a coder I want the best experience possible without having to build a dedicated machine to have it look and run decent.  If C++ is the way to do that, than go for it, haas. 

If mods are going to be procedural, it would be good for AE to provide a mod kit.  Not everyone codes at the level just above assembler (which is what c/c++ amounts to).

If you need help, I would be glad to dust off my C++ skill and grab some tasks.  You said you needed to rewrite some code?  Well, in Github, create some tasks and let some folks rewrite while you work on some other logic.  It would be a good excercise to help me get back into C++.