Benedict

2014 Trixie Awards Ceremony

55 posts in this topic Last Reply

Well that's a nice surprise, thank you for whoever voted for me to get Best Residential BAT!

It's always a nice feeling to get the things you've done and put your heart into appreciated. Makes it even more fun :-)

Too bad I don't have so much time anymore for this fun little hobby. But who know what the future brings.

Better late than never? :P

No, but seriously, glad you guys took the time get it on, and I'm grateful for some of the nominations and awards I got :D

Thanks everyone so much for the nominations and support -- and Simtropolis in general! It's been a nice ride around here and hope it sticks around for the future :D

Also congrats to all the other trixie award winners and nominees, you all definitely deserve it

Christmas already? 

Once in your lifetime ur computer decides to rest forever and simtropolis releases the Trixies

What no one knows: actually everything was planned by the illuminati.  But tell no one shhh...

Anyway three Trixies is so

EDIT: unexpected.  Thanks for nominating me. I will gladly continue pointing out what a city is! 

A big and belated thank you to everyone. :blush:

It was a pleasant surprise when they were announced. I was knee deep in BATing Warwick Square at the time and the Trixies were very encouraging. 

Thanks again and I hope to have more good stuff out in 2015... err... 2016? What year's Trixies are these again?? :kitty:

It's been a while since anything was posted in on this matter, just wondering if there's any news about the 2015 Trixies? I know last years were much delayed as well but the nominations did began in May, where as this year we're now well into August and things are still very quite on that front.

One particular concern I have is that the longer it takes before the nominations are held the more difficult it will become for people to discern between content produced in 2015 from that which was made in 2016. But a greater worry is the thought of the Trixies being skipped for a year. Even the possibility of such is concerning because the Trixies are a Simtropolis institution and arguably the golden standard to denote one's achievements on the site.

Apologies for the radio silence on the Trixies. It is a major event for the community, and we do have big plans to continue this going forward.

In the past few awards, one problem is they've been getting increasingly misaligned from the previous year. Indeed, this is an issue because the longer time goes on, the harder it is to recall prominent contributions. So considering this, and to get them back on schedule, we've proposed that the next Trixies will combine both 2015 and 2016. Nominations will be accepted for contributions made within the two year period.

We also plan to do something like @T Wrecks suggested here, and have a summary and build up. This would allow some momentum to be gained ahead of the start of nominations, and hopefully lead to a boost in participation. It would just work to inform people, and give a wider perspective. The actual nominations will always remain private (although due to software changes, this may need to be done slightly differently).

The plan is to begin this around Nov / Dec, then open nominations after the conclusion of the Challenges Season. Having them running after the challenges will allow more focus on promotion, and getting the results published. Hopefully we can have the awards system in place by this time as well. Eventually, all the old awards will be returning, along with some yet to be presented. ;)

Combining the Trixies will be a first, but we feel it is necessary given the timescale. Then in future years, they can keep to a consistent pattern.

:thumb:

Since there will be 2 years worth of worthy content and a discussion thread to help remember the notable stuff, maybe we could have more categories? 

Also I think that having the Trixies be the climax of the challenges season is appropriate. 

I don't mean to go off topic but since the last competition is a long one that starts in January and ends in February, could that one be moved back to start when the previous custom content competition (Classic Model, New Lot) finishes, so that the final content creation challenge falls in December so that the uploads are eligible for the Trixies and so that the Trixies can start in January instead of taking place in Feb/March?

36 minutes ago, Jasoncw said:

Since there will be 2 years worth of worthy content and a discussion thread to help remember the notable stuff, maybe we could have more categories?

Good point, the categories will need to be revised to cover the 2 years, along with the introduction of Cities: Skylines.

I suppose the discussion can help form some of them.

36 minutes ago, Jasoncw said:

I don't mean to go off topic but since the last competition is a long one that starts in January and ends in February, could that one be moved back to start when the previous custom content competition (Classic Model, New Lot) finishes, so that the final content creation challenge falls in December so that the uploads are eligible for the Trixies and so that the Trixies can start in January instead of taking place in Feb/March?

I like that idea. :yes:

There will actually be a slight reshuffle in the challenge dates, so I'm sure that would be doable. Although unless a few are postponed (we're reluctant to do that), the challenges will need to run at least into January, as they're already very tightly packed.

If Content Creation was moved forward, it could be swapped with one of the general image contests.

Hopefully the Trixies discussion will spark some interest, and make it much easier to prepare for nominations. Then once they do open, everything can flow nicely. With the challenges season over, our focus will be on getting the results announced ASAP, without another 6 month wait... :whatevs:

One thing I feel quite strongly about, is that with the introduction of Cities Skylines to the Trixies, the CS awards and the SC4 awards should remain separated. 

The games are so different and are at completely different points in their development, in terms of custom content. 

So I guess what I'm saying is that all Trixies, in my opinion, should be specific to either SC4 or CS or another game. So for instance, 'best SC4 CJ Journal' and 'Best CS  CJ Journal', rather than just 'Best CJ Journal'. This I feel would make the awards fairer, as the games are so different. Just my view. 

34 minutes ago, _Michael said:

So I guess what I'm saying is that all Trixies, in my opinion, should be specific to either SC4 or CS or another game.

Yes, this will be happening. ;)

In previous years we had SC13 and CXL categories. Some of the awards (e.g. 'best building') are duplicated for each game. But as you say, the games are vastly different, so it wouldn't be fair to compete between them.

@Cyclone Boom Thanks for the update on the situation. It's unfortunate that the two years will be merged but understandable and at this point it's definitely the best solution. It's a shame because by condensed them into one many worthy content creators will end up not being acknowledged. Having more categories as Jasoncw mention is a good compromise and would help in that regard. But I think certain categories(the most prominent ones) should still be awarded separately for each year such as the Mod, BATer, BAT & SC4 CJ of the year.

25 minutes ago, Takingyouthere said:

It's a shame because by condensed them into one many worthy content creators will end up not being acknowledged.

We are going to try and make it very easy for members to browse through submissions from each year, so that nothing is missed. Obviously content from 2015 will be harder to remember, so we will try to put a bigger emphasis on that. Hopefully this effort, along with things that @T Wrecks mentioned and other expositions, will bring both years back into the collective consciousness of ST

25 minutes ago, Takingyouthere said:

But I think certain categories(the most prominent ones) should still be awarded separately for each year such as the Mod, BATer, BAT & SC4 CJ of the year.

Yes, that will happen too. Essentially two ceremonies at the same time, one for 2015, and one for 2016. Easier to run, as we don't have to set it up and break it down twice. Also easier to submit nominations as when your researching for your nominations you can easily continue looking back into 2015 as well,  quicker and easier for both years. 

If the the Trixies for these two years are going to be run at the same time. Make sure there are more categories like: Best SC4 Industry, best SC4 suburbs, best SC4 downtown, best SC4 utility complex, best SC4 landscapes, best SC4 farms and so on. In the 2014 Trixies these categories weren't there, sure a person could nominate someone with a custom Trixie award of their own, but I felt this ignored the entries which featured exemplary examples of the above categories I mentioned.

Also I am glad there will be two ceremonies at the same time.

9 hours ago, Ln X said:

If the the Trixies for these two years are going to be run at the same time. Make sure there are more categories like: Best SC4 Industry, best SC4 suburbs, best SC4 downtown, best SC4 utility complex, best SC4 landscapes, best SC4 farms and so on. In the 2014 Trixies these categories weren't there, sure a person could nominate someone with a custom Trixie award of their own, but I felt this ignored the entries which featured exemplary examples of the above categories I mentioned.

Definitely agree with those, some great idea's for new categories. Seems like the two year period is beneficial in this resepct because CJ journals makers trend to go through periods where they focus particular aspects of their city for a while and may not have focus on a certain type of development for a calendar year, especially so if they're less active.

Just to clarify:

Even though this Trixies will cover 2015 and 2016, as @Hamish explained, the awards will be separate for them both. There will be no awards for content spanning the 2 year period, only considered as an individual year. ;)

So basically, the main formula will be carried from the previous Trixies. The big difference will be the simultaneous nomination process, which will probably run a bit longer given the increased period. For example, you might nominate someone for any award in both years, and this would count towards an award in 2015 and 2016. They could be the same (e.g. 'Mod of the Year'), or different entirely. Where previously, you could only nominate one person for a single award.

There will be predefined categories (that you can select), and also the option to create custom awards for consideration.

Before nominations open, we'll go over the full process of nominating (rules, etc). Like I mentioned before, the exact method this time may be different, although this still needs confirming.

I would like to add to my post above and say all the above categories I suggested should be in the predefined categories. There are a few more I can think of to: best airport, best seaport, best poverty-stricken area, best park, best MMPing...

With more predefined categories it will help members sift through numerous CJ entries with specific things in mind. Maybe they are looking for amazing landscapes, perhaps they want to see the grungiest industrial area going, or maybe the most realistic airport. If there are already predefined categories then there will be more searching of CJs.

@Ln X

Those can be used for sure. :)

I agree, there's no harm in creating a wide range of categories, as they will give more inspiration. Of course, awards will only be given for categories that receive nominations, so there's no downside to having lots of choices.

Would it be useful to start a thread to collect possible ideas?