Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Graham

Extension of Right-Of-Way Road System

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have an idea for "City Bound" where you can extend the grass on both sides of the road for adding more lanes when the road starts to get a lot of traffic, do you think this is a great idea? It possible to have add turning lane at an intersection, I would love to see double left and right turning lanes at the intersection of a wide road as well as median lane. I have seen the video on the zoning system where you can increase the set back of the zones with making height restrictions, and I think these two plans can work well together.

Edited by Aaron Graham  

Most municipalities have set back rules that amounts to additional lane allowance.  For example, in one sub-division in which I built a house, the first fifty feet from the sidewalk into the property was considered to be city property, but the homeowner had to maintain it, including the city planted tree.  As far as we were concerned it was just front garden, but if push came to shove, it was theirs.

The standard street is generally half a surveyor's chain wide (33 feet).  This will vary from region to region, and in Europe it could easily be different as I have been on some streets in downtown Bordeaux on which two cars could not pass.  Many streets are former cattle paths.  [<aside>An engineer's chain is 100 feet. </aside>]

@Aaron Graham, I think AE has done a great job addressing this already.  Basically, go back and look at the zoning and planning vid again, you can control the setback rules.  When a road is drawn, as long as it doesn't intrude on an existing building itself, it will not demo it, basically amounting to what you are talking about.  I haven't seen medians yet, but his system for creating roads is by lane, so you can create one lane Turn lanes, if you wish. 

Not sure about the double turn lanes.  I second the motion, however.  With the motion seconded: any discussion on the issue relating to AE creating double turning lanes in Citybound?

If one can create a single turn lane, why cannot one create more than one?  Some roads are certainly wide and busy enough to need them.

• Original Poster
  • Thank you for the input, I was thinking when the road is place and you wanted to add lanes the lot could be destoryed, if ont that would be great. Next, oen think to worry about is how to get the driveway extended to the road when the zone is set back, and if there are mailboxes, they will be place next to the driveway, that's if we are going to have that much detail.

Most municipalities have set back rules that amounts to additional lane allowance.  For example, in one sub-division in which I built a house, the first fifty feet from the sidewalk into the property was considered to be city property, but the homeowner had to maintain it, including the city planted tree.  As far as we were concerned it was just front garden, but if push came to shove, it was theirs.

Hidden Content

The roads in Europe are usually not well-defined, and change depending on many factors including who built the road, who maintains it and in which town it's located. Having a standard street length is more common where there was or is undeveloped space to build them, otherwise there would be a lot of demolition and/or one-way-schemes (not that this ever deterred Bonaparte from building streets all over Paris)

Hidden Content

The roads in Europe are usually not well-defined, and change depending on many factors including who built the road, who maintains it and in which town it's located. Having a standard street length is more common where there was or is undeveloped space to build them, otherwise there would be a lot of demolition and/or one-way-schemes (not that this ever deterred Bonaparte from building streets all over Paris)

It was Haussman who ordered the construction of the boulevards of Paris, not Napoleon himself.

Thank you for the input, I was thinking when the road is place and you wanted to add lanes the lot could be destoryed, if ont that would be great. Next, oen think to worry about is how to get the driveway extended to the road when the zone is set back, and if there are mailboxes, they will be place next to the driveway, that's if we are going to have that much detail.

Oh, and some places don't have mailboxes on driveways; some have mailboxes bolted next to the front door of a house instead.

Edited by Urban Cartographer  

Hidden Content

It was Haussman who ordered the construction of the boulevards of Paris, not Napoleon himself.

Thank you for the input, I was thinking when the road is place and you wanted to add lanes the lot could be destoryed, if ont that would be great. Next, oen think to worry about is how to get the driveway extended to the road when the zone is set back, and if there are mailboxes, they will be place next to the driveway, that's if we are going to have that much detail.

Oh, and some places don't have mailboxes on driveways; some have mailboxes bolted next to the front door of a house instead.

Yeah, I know, metonymy and all that.

The location of mailboxes in Canada is currently up in the air.  Canada Post wants to dispose of home delivery and use only super-boxes at strategic locations.  In light of the result of last week's federal election, Canada Post suspended this program.

In Australia a lot of mailboxes are at the front of a property whereas in Britain most homes simply have a slot for mail in the front door.

I don't think ae has mentioned post much though

It would be interesting to have three different mailboxes implemented in-game.

The driveway (aka the classic Joroleman curbside mailbox) ones would be located in rural and exurban communities, as well as other small towns located very far from the nearest metropolitan area.

1600px-IceStorm08.jpg

SimCity and the Sims only use this kind of mailbox.

The super-boxes would be used in some rural or suburban communities (or even urban areas), especially if those communities have a tight budget.

CIDEX.jpg

Finally, there would be wall-mounted mailboxes that would be primarily used in urban areas, as well as suburban communities that have a door-to-door mail ordinance.

Mailbox.jpg

Wall-mounted mailboxes can be replaced with a slot on the front door or on the side of the house.

We have all three of those 'round these parts.  I'm not sure I care to have that much detail in the model, though.  It'd be nice, don't get me wrong, but I would rather it run smooth than have mailboxes modeled all gleaming and nice.

At best mailboxes should be optional props and up to the model builder.  If the models are going to be procedural, there should be a library of prop routines, eh?