Roadman20

Seattle, Washington, USA (Procedural Object Bridges)

188 posts in this topic Last Reply

Are you using ploppable asphalt for the 'lids'? I need to make something like that for my Buenos Aires recreation and could use any and all tips available.

• Original Poster
  • 4 hours ago, jzeltman said:

Are you using ploppable asphalt for the 'lids'? I need to make something like that for my Buenos Aires recreation and could use any and all tips available.

Yeah, I dropped a lot of ploppable asphalt to build this lid.  I was going to do just do half of the freeway, but I got carried away.   Ummm, only downside is that if you looking inside the tunnel, you can see the sky since there is no texture underneath, but a small price to pay.

@Roadman20 what kind of scale is the map you're using? I've been trying to figure out a good scale for my home city of Adelaide, but if I go for 1 grid = 10 metres or even 1 grid = 20 metres, I barely get enough of the metropolitan area to make it worthwhile.

4 hours ago, Horus_Kol said:

@Roadman20 what kind of scale is the map you're using? I've been trying to figure out a good scale for my home city of Adelaide, but if I go for 1 grid = 10 metres or even 1 grid = 20 metres, I barely get enough of the metropolitan area to make it worthwhile.

The actual scale of the game is 1 cell = 8 meters x 8meters.

Just now, Matthias King said:

The actual scale of the game is 1 cell = 8 meters x 8meters.

Yes, I know that is the in-game "scale" when you start with a 2 km city square - but when you import a heightmap from terrain.party, for example, you can set your own scale (to a limit of 6.67 km per city square) - my problem is the Adelaide CBD and parklands is 3.8 km x 4.7 km , so using the default game scale doesn't allow for much beyond the parklands (the metropolitan area is a sprawling 60 km north to south. I was wondering if Roadman was using a different scale to what's in the game - though now I look at his map and compare with Google, I realise he is following the default.

• Original Poster
  • 1 hour ago, Horus_Kol said:

Yes, I know that is the in-game "scale" when you start with a 2 km city square - but when you import a heightmap from terrain.party, for example, you can set your own scale (to a limit of 6.67 km per city square) - my problem is the Adelaide CBD and parklands is 3.8 km x 4.7 km , so using the default game scale doesn't allow for much beyond the parklands (the metropolitan area is a sprawling 60 km north to south. I was wondering if Roadman was using a different scale to what's in the game - though now I look at his map and compare with Google, I realise he is following the default.

Yes, I am just using the default game scale.  I would like to add more map area, but obviously at this point of layout development that if I added more area, I would hit other limits building and zoning before covering the entire map with stuff.  So a lot of give and take taken into consideration as settling on the default scale.

15 hours ago, Horus_Kol said:

Ah, nevermind then.

Though I would say that using a scale other than the game's would be a little counterproductive, because roads and buildings are to that scale, and are fairly true to life in size in most cases. I'd like to have a bigger map area too, but I don't think there's any more anyone can do beyond the mods we have.

• Original Poster
  • I'm coming back on Seattle in a more regular capacity as I'm running into more time to spend with the city instead of being away from the desktop.  The current focus is fine tuning terraforming with the streets to get them to the correct heights throughout the city.  

The North Capitol Hill neighborhood area receiving terraform treatment to gain its realistic form before development begins. This is getting repeated all across the city so far.

LGs8EFc.jpg

VlbATqA.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous work, my friend.  I'd kill, though, for a mod or, better yet, a game update that would allow lanes to properly merge/diverge. 

Glad to see you posting again.

David

• Original Poster
  • The past couple weeks has been a short break as I doing some switching to a new GPU, ultrawide monitor and a new desk layout.  All future images will be 3440x1440, although you'll see previous 1080 shots for reference at any given time in the future.

Meanwhile in an area of particular difficulty, Interstate 5 through core of Downtown Seattle has received radical changes from initial concepts back in 2016.

1aJS6iq.jpg

Original Concept between Washington State Convention Center and Freeway Park

4XA9kL0.jpg

Original Concept of Interstate 5 with Olive Way, Boren Ave/Pine Street, and Pike Street Overpasses (closest to furthermost) 

onUkEsL.jpg

Original Concept of Interstate 5 at Spring and Madison Street Overpasses, south of Freeway Park

xs67vxt.jpg

I know I started the Freeway Park change with ploppable asphalt, using hundreds in the process, but with the recent arrival of Ploppable Surface Pack by DeCzaah, I wanted to reduce my dependence on excessive use of ploppable asphalt as much as possible.  I haven't gotten rid of all of the asphalt, it is coming back since the surface pack is quite large surface area and doesn't allow any sort of fine tuning.

Also, another thing about changing this to the simpler platform allow me to deal with unfinished business of the roadways underneath because I totally lazied out on properly laying out Interstate 5 properly for the future, in particular the Express Lanes... so I decided I would kill a few things at once with this change.

OBFgYSR.jpg

Obviously as you can see at this point, I eliminated all previous tunnels, I never really like the tunnel entrances and this customization is a challenging reward to change it to something I wanted.  So back to the drawing board!

7xjMzPX.jpg

Reducing the tiers of Freeway Park to two instead of the previous three.

R73e1Bp.jpg

If you're wondering, yes, I'm laying a park on top of this parking garage because in this location is an actual parking garage for the convention center, but there is a park over it as well.  I'm pretty sure I'm fine tuning this later once the convention center is in place.

nZqrCdG.jpg

Convention Center temp lid, this is mainly for referencing for later.

7lrK5Jl.jpg

Modified Interstate 5 Express Lanes underneath the convention center area.  I'm still working on modifying the exits to accept future traffic to and from these lanes since they can't be custom reversible like in real life...

C9UwaXH.jpg

The difference of the original concept of Interstate 5 at Spring and Madison Street Overpasses, south of Freeway Park as seen now.

6FMcTgq.jpg

Besides with tinkering with the freeway, I'm still cruising around the city and adjusting various street intersections to get proper elevation adjustment looking just by eyeballing it.  I should be able to knock most of that out this weekend, hopefully. 

The detail in this is phenomenal, but so is Cities: Skylines (the program's) ability to allow it to be fairly much accurately recreated.  I know that you have to make compromises and, if you had the ability to change things in the game engine you certainly would, but looking at what you've accomplished is just amazing.

David

• Original Poster
  • On 7/21/2017 at 3:59 AM, dedgren said:

The detail in this is phenomenal, but so is Cities: Skylines (the program's) ability to allow it to be fairly much accurately recreated.  I know that you have to make compromises and, if you had the ability to change things in the game engine you certainly would, but looking at what you've accomplished is just amazing.

David

In the building of Seattle in Skylines, the common theme is addressing limitations of the game at every step along the way.  I know I haven't really built the city or going into the hyperdetailing that other CJs have done, but Seattle has a very challenging set of things to get that realm of realism I'm trying to pass off.  Soon enough, I could have something to address both prop limit issues and afford maximum flexibility in completing lids and going way behind vanilla quay, both as retaining walls and seawalls.

This video is showing off WIP mod called Procedural Objects, pretty much unlocking one of the last barriers on realistic Seattle.  I can build the walls I want with the right thickness anywhere I want without subscribing to a lot of props.  That's just for the road aspect of it, but I can already think of dealing with the hyperdetailing aspects as well.

I looked at the Procedural Objects mod on the workshop yesterday.  It looks like it will be as much of a game-changer as SamSamTS's Move it.  Amazing work by Simon Royer.

David

• Original Poster
  • Toying around the Procedural Objects, the controls are bit weird at first, but alright for a first version.  Need to fine tune the textures I'm getting from free sites to be bit darker.  Redesigned the Battery Street Tunnel Entrance with about five objects and made a concrete curb median on the lower left of the second picture.  Pretty nice testing so far.

XN5kjaf.jpg

USVOQWd.jpg

Fine tuning Queen Anne

FwtG3VJ.jpg

UuFfJml.jpg

MLwG3qF.jpg

That tunnel entrance looks a lot more realistic with them like that. Could be an incredible mod as more textures come along and it matures. Wonder what the hit to resources will be.

• Original Poster
  • 4 hours ago, hbn said:

That tunnel entrance looks a lot more realistic with them like that. Could be an incredible mod as more textures come along and it matures. Wonder what the hit to resources will be.

Fortunately for everyone, you can deposit an unlimited (barring hard drive limits) amount of textures into a dedicated file folder.  My renewed hangout spot is textures.com to gather new test textures to get some darker concretes.  Only thing I've noticed so far is that if you stretch an object, it is going to warp textures all weird.

I was looking to see what limits this objects hit towards, doesn't hit buildings, so that's very good.  Also interested to see if it hits resources if there are a lot of these objects.   Lastly, another observation was that prop anarchy doesn't apply on these objects, so you can't set anything on top of them as of now.

18 minutes ago, Mr_Maison said:

I'm really curious to see when the buildings and everything starts in this. You did such an awesome job on the road networks so far. It will be a pleasure to see it all come to life.

Funny thing that you mentioned this because I actually build small test patches occasionally for traffic testing and line tool dropping.  I haven't checked in awhile on how stuff would react in development mode until yesterday since February.  Unfortunately, I am running into some sort of errors on people trying to move in with demand artificially turned on max.  So this is a sudden issue that cropped up.  

I am really looking forward to building again because I have a host of ideas and changes to parts of the city people have seen built up.  It's almost been two years since starting this and a lot of changes driving the evolution of playing the game.

Going to have to test a few old saves and a new test city to see if I can replica this issue, fingers crossed.

That is one seriously dedicated project. The time and patience required in ensuring greatest accuracy is phenomenal- not to mention skill level! I find these real life builds the most interesting projects as the process really tests gamers creativity and ingenuity as they push the game to its limits and find awesome ways to compromise for CSkylines shortcomings and meet the brief. Following this with great interest.

• Original Poster
  • Suddenly a double-deck steel truss framework appears!  This could get tedious... lol :ninja:   

jYiQOov.jpg

I did say I had some ideas with Procedural Objects...

5 hours ago, Roadman20 said:

Suddenly a double-deck steel truss framework appears!  This could get tedious... lol :ninja:   

jYiQOov.jpg

I did say I had some ideas with Procedural Objects...

Great use of the mod, though I imagine it may take a long time to build the whole bridge!

• Original Poster
  • On 8/7/2017 at 8:37 PM, hbn said:

Lovely idea but must be a way to speed things up. Can't copy and paste?

Until August 9th, there was no copy/paste feature.  I was spending some vacation time in Berlin and Prague this week at the request of friend, so I had a break from Skylines this week.

I spend time today working on a more final form build concept a more proper looking steel coated in green paint texture.  The steel green section is what the final form truss structure is going to be when completed.    I did use the newly added copy/paste feature to quickly get the new form into being.  I am more about form accuracy rather having "every joint line up correctly" perfection since the bridge is going to enjoyed from a distance rather than up close most of the time.

I am most likely to also going to make the concrete pillar portion a procedural object as well on closer inspection since existing prefab pillars don't mesh well with the steel truss structure above.

mPkoCsA.jpg

lk67WFo.jpg  

• Original Poster
  • So I got one side done....

NAXRGcy.jpg

Then someone else said it looked a bit low and I started dropping ships and checking the clearance of the bridge.  Wikipedia says clearance below the Ship Canal Bridge is 56m, the floating upper deck is now 70m at midspan and the last photo shows the lower deck raised to a level of 55m.  So it's going to look more archy going across.  

Thank god for the yacht, gave a clear indication that the bridge was low.

sFMEPAw.jpg

gbTyK6d.jpg

ei4bxrI.jpg

I've gotten this far, so I can make this change happen.