368 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • 14 hours ago, sstyrnol said:

Amazing and precise work! Love it. Looking especially forward to seeing how you realize the actual city building! :) 

Thanks, and to Cathy as well.  But you folks know me.  I'll probably spend years making the perfect map and never build anything at all except infrastructure.  I am amazed at how far along I've gotten this time, in any event.

596409eee0b8a_CampNelsonScreenie001.jpg.8fce112968bb568e5d5c2a72f29730e0.jpg

David

59 minutes ago, dedgren said:

...But you folks know me.  I'll probably spend years making the perfect map and never build anything at all except infrastructure....

I used to follow 3RR so am looking forward to the map building  *:thumb:

• Original Poster
  • TR-170720-TRR_title_Post_036.jpg.b0714876622927c0c472d2fb14c44331.jpg

In the Beginning, there was Terrain...

TR-170720-TRR_Screenie01_Post_036.jpg.c06924e771c7905b463f49f4ca2c91df.jpg

And then there were... power lines.

TR-170720-TRR_Screenie02_Post_036.jpg.217e003926db1066dfa8822a89f89ed5.jpg

And more power lines.

TR-170720-TRR_Screenie20_Post_036.jpg.c95222ec3dd1c656c835e11c28f987b7.jpg

Roads appeared.

TR-170720-TRR_Screenie03_Post_036.jpg.f4e3d4e9e66afa26d3f899987b078bda.jpg

And more roads.

TR-170720-TRR_Screenie05_Post_036.jpg.554a31a51bb53bf163035ce761df4073.jpg

And towns grew.

TR-170720-TRR_Screenie06_Post_036.jpg.36b687dd01d09c80f398242dbe3edcf9.jpg

And a rail line was laid.

TR-170720-TRR_Screenie04_Post_036.jpg.633fcaf8d6afdb0c0e222da282507ed1.jpg

And at that point it looked pretty good, but I said... Let there be trees!

TR-170720-TRR_Screenie07_Post_036.jpg.4d295ead69e4679a8f86281ca41a912e.jpg

And more trees...

TR-170720-TRR_Screenie08_Post_036.jpg.a942780afbc87785ae291077ae2ab828.jpg

And even more trees.

TR-170720-TRR_Screenie09_Post_036.jpg.b13afc43a53d6d97f91af781b7dcf4c5.jpg

Lots of trees.

TR-170720-TRR_Screenie10_Post_036.jpg.63532ce324761006a347e53e5264b838.jpg

Trees everywhere!

TR-170720-TRR_Screenie13_Post_036.jpg.f5cf6fc31e52b949c59cad97dd0244e6.jpg

And it now is starting to look really good.

TR-170720-TRR_Screenie11_Post_036.jpg.be98efb0e91c365eb63c37bced9e7e57.jpg

But there's a long way to go to reach the ideal state.

TR-170720-TRR_Screenie12_Post_036.jpg.acd7c7c43f9ba652f1a8f049c68a75c9.jpg

But we're getting there.

David

24003/344

• Original Poster
  • Hi citybuilder234!  The transmission towers are Zuben's and they can be found on the workshop at http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=772249062.  There is also a larger variant by him at http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=677295881, but IMHO they are way overscaled.  I'd kill to see one of our community's modding wizards figure out how to do slope conforming wire for these.   I wouldn't mind either if Zuben or someone else figured out a way to lose the base, or at least just turn it into a concrete pad. It would also be nice to see "junction" towers, where one line could branch off from another, but I wouldn't dare ask.

David

23 hours ago, dedgren said:

Hi citybuilder234!  The transmission towers are Zuben's and they can be found on the workshop at http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=772249062.  There is also a larger variant by him at http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=677295881, but IMHO they are way overscaled.  I'd kill to see one of our community's modding wizards figure out how to do slope conforming wire for these.   I wouldn't mind either if Zuben or someone else figured out a way to lose the base, or at least just turn it into a concrete pad. It would also be nice to see "junction" towers, where one line could branch off from another, but I wouldn't dare ask.

David

You could draw regular powerlines along the same path, adjust the nodes with move-it to match the towers and then delete all the "towers" of the regular powerlines. Just as you can remove pillars from bridges you can delete those only and the only thing left are the lines. A LOT of work though...

Man, look at this guy work! The attention to detail is bar none the most impressive out of any city journalist I've ever seen, especially in this game where so much of what's popular is the creation of eye-candy. Never ceases to amaze, absolutely.

Also...we just gonna gloss over the fact that took a 400-mile bike ride earlier this month? Is that such a common activity for you that no one decided to make comments on it?

• Original Poster
  • 3 hours ago, masochist said:

Man, look at this guy work!   ....

Old friend, if this was work I'd probably be trying to get out of it somehow.

All kidding aside, you are way too kind.  Trust me, I drool over the eye-candy at least as much as anyone else does.  So many folks have done so much amazing stuff with Cities: Skylines that rarely a day goes by where something doesn't have my jaw hitting the floor.  I will say, though, that I like for stuff to be functional in the context of the overall game.  Set pieces are nice, but I like to see things all working together to create a whole that can be far more than just the sum of a bunch of static parts.

You are also really great for mentioning the recent bike trip.  Thanks!  I know a lot of people are here precisely because it's a place to escape RL for a while, but I also believe that it's worth hearing about someone's real world experiences, and particularly when they make a positive impact (as opposed to, "I have to put my CJ on hiatus because RL really sucks right now.")

Finishing up on that note, one of the reasons I'm clipping right along in Jessamine right now is that at the end of August I'll be starting another long distance bicycle ride- this one down the length of the Mississippi River from Lake Itasca in Minnesota to Venice, Louisiana on the Delta south of New Orleans.

IMG_4460.thumb.PNG.9cbdde61142868c88d0d7d7d700b5baf.PNG

I'd like to have Jessamine completely forested by then so that, when I return in late October, I can start on superdetailing the map.  I'm hoping that it would then be ready for release on the workshop by Christmastime.

Again, thanks so much stopping by and for all the kind words.

David

10 hours ago, dedgren said:

I will say, though, that I like for stuff to be functional in the context of the overall game.  Set pieces are nice, but I like to see things all working together to create a whole that can be far more than just the sum of a bunch of static parts.

My thoughts exactly. I love what people are able to create with all the mods and tools at our disposal, and I try my hardest to see if I can emulate the style...but if it doesn't work in the game, I can't get down with it. And people will do crazy, unrealistic things to make sure the city is functional, but I can't get down on that, either. That's probably another reason I enjoy your work. Plus, these types of games are certainly more city-focused, and it's nice to see a rural focus sometimes.

Also...biking all the way down the river!? Man, what an undertaking! Akin to hiking the Appalachian Trial...it will be the ride of a lifetime, I imagine. Good luck!

• Original Poster
  • TR-170724-TRR_title_Post_037.png.dcfd318bbf2f6acb715d45a9906c4752.png

First, some eye candy to soften you up a bit.

TR-170724-01_TRR_screenie_037.jpg.87e5a3f080ed6bc63d3bd6038d29d3a6.jpg

Handy's Bend is a huge loop in the Kentucky River in the heart of the Palisades area.

TR-170724-02_TRR_Screenie_037.jpg.e8afe14438a913492e26fb917f853c58.jpg

I've focused my foresting efforts here and in adjacent Polly's Bend for the past several days.

TR-170724-03_TRR_Screenie_037.jpg.82a95647a942988019502df4c4934037.jpg

The limestone walls of the bend are anywhere from 50 to over 100 feet (15-30+ meters) high and are often near vertical.

TR-170724-04_TRR_Screenie_037.jpg.0445fa190e16a56611e10cc4160318fe.jpg

The river flows quietly through this area, which up until fairly recently was largely in a primitive and unspoiled state.

TR-170724-05_TRR_Screenie_037.jpg.3af535b97f1f4457f2a7bc45502c17ae.jpg

I created the "bedded limestone" texture I'm using for the cliffs in Jessamine. 

Kentucky_River_Palisades.jpg.f5f909f519ccb028fa659c869bce5495.jpg

If anyone would like to use it, let me know.

TR-170724-06_TRR_Screenie_037.jpg.09c5aa5bd75420d596d0bf4a97401aa9.jpg

The bend is crossed by one of the numerous high-tension power lines that are found radiating out from the E.W. Brown power generating station next to Dix Dam a short distance away.

TR-170724-07_TRR_Screenie_037.jpg.fa4bf68f506dba38e50c66ae7de26216.jpg

I am currently just filling in the forested areas with oak trees.  My plan is to add in other varieties of trees and bushes and grasses during a second superdetailing phase after the basic foresting of the quad is done.

Okay, fun's over.

< rant on >

597684efbaef6_MegaphoneRant.png.582efc8eb4cf60a829fa92426a0af9fb.png

You folks have really been great about liking and commenting in my CJ since I started it just about two years ago, especially considering the very long break I took for over half that time.  I don't pay a lot of attention to the stats except to note the current views and comments at the bottom of each update, but I think TRR might be the most commented on journal in the forum-based Cities: Skylines CJs.  I am really grateful for all the kind words you have said and hope you will always see fit to do that.  But...

...here it comes...

But there's one thing I am hugely disappointed in these days, CJing-wise.  That is the lack of comments- virtually any comments at all- in many CJs, and especially the newer ones.  There seems to be "foot traffic" in these journals based on page views and, in some cases, they even get a number of likes on an update.  But nobody- well, almost nobody- is commenting.  I stopped by a beautifully done journal this morning that has been up for almost two weeks and left the first comment.  I find that incredible and very, very distressing.

Unlike 10 years ago when I was in the thick of doing Three Rivers Region, I would bet that most of you reading this have never done a city journal.  That's fine- there's no shame in just enjoying a great game by playing it, or perhaps even creating content for it.  But, IMHO, journaling what you create and what you are doing as you go along takes things to a whole 'nother level.  By doing that and through then interacting with your readers over what you create a marvelous synergy happens.  You do something good which leads to comments like, "Hey, I never thought of that," or "Well, OK, but what if you..." which then leads you to perhaps do something even better or more interesting the next time around.  People also learn from these interactions.  The back and forth of posts and comments can be a very good teacher to other readers- certainly a better one than just looking at a post with a few images that just sort of ends there without getting anything going.  And hitting the "like" button, while appreciated, just doesn't cut it.  What feedback does that leave?  "I like this a whole lot," "I like this but then I like everything," or "I like this better than a kick in the pants?"  The author really doesn't learn a whole lot from a like and the reader pretty much nothing at all.

Now, NONE OF THIS APPLIES TO MY CJ.  I want that to be clear.  I've had all the comments and likes anyone could possibly ask for.  I'm not trying to be arrogant about that, either.  It just worked out that way, and I am, again, eternally grateful.  But I'd rather, at this point, not see another comment in TRR/Jessamine, not another like even, until I start seeing them with much greater frequency in the 20 or so active forum-based Cities: Skylines CJs on Simtropolis.  While I like to hear from my friends, in some cases great friends- lifelong friends, that I have made in the city builder community over the years, I'll know you're out there.  I'll see the page views in TRR.  But honor that friendship, please, by encouraging other authors with your comments.

Thank you for bearing with me here.  I feel pretty passionate about this- I hope I've communicated some of that passion to you.

< /rant off >

David

24284/351

Picture 5 is really good. I'd given up in CS, because the possibilities for painting landscapes seemed pretty limited but you could almost convince me otherwise.:-)

[And I like your rant]

This is coming along great.  Given that I'm doing my imaginary Capilano Islands project by hand, it's really interesting to me to see you re-creating a real life location.  It gets back to a feeling I've been having the last few months - that CS is basically a modern version of model railroading.  Looking at the game this way has allowed me to get much more into it after having taken about a year's break.  I've always dreamt of having a giant model railroad but of course I'll never have the space.  CS allows me to have as many as I want without taking up any space at all!

Regarding your comment about lack of comments on CJs I think part of it is due to a trend in the gaming world towards video.  So many younger people just want to watch YouTube or Twitch.  They leave comments there or chat during the live stream on Twitch.  I consider myself an in-betweener.  I love being able to read a CJ and look at screenshots (it makes for a great break during work), but also love watching a quality CS video on YouTube.  I haven't yet tried watching a livestream, but that's mostly because life (newborn in the house!) keeps me from being available when a livestream is taking place.  

10 hours ago, Czardus said:

It gets back to a feeling I've been having the last few months - that CS is basically a modern version of model railroading.

That's exactly what hooked me on the game. I still have some model railway engines and cars nowadays, but they live in a box. When I saw someone make a video prior to release with an extensive railroad network in C:S, that made me immediately buy the game. What David creates here is the pure expression of this idea, just more like diorama building (I always wanted to see my trains run and compromised ;) ).

10 hours ago, Czardus said:

Regarding your comment about lack of comments on CJs I think part of it is due to a trend in the gaming world towards video.  So many younger people just want to watch YouTube or Twitch.  They leave comments there or chat during the live stream on Twitch. 

Let's face it, messageboards are for "old people" nowadays (I count myself in that category). Younger people may still use Reddit and the likes, but normal messageboards and their form of communication are more or less out. Even the makers of C:S said something like that when they explained why they post on Reddit but not on their own messageboard.

But yeah, the C:S CJ boards here never got that kind of community feeling the SC4 boards here on Simtropolis have. At best, you will get some comments from a few of those people who write their own CJ's at the same time. This CJ here is more or less an exception.

I agree with the commenting. People can seem so silent in this community (me included!) except in the discussion based threads.  I started to wonder if anyone was reading my CJ, until you commented:).

Anyway, can't wait to see what's in store for Jessamine. We've just got trees, power lines and some dirt roads and it's already exciting!

I hear you about commenting, David. I'm not always the most vocal. Sometimes I feel like I don't have a lot to say, except "wow, I love it". I don't want to sound too repetitive, so I end up using the "like" button a lot. I will try to make more of an effort, though. :)

Great job on the limestone texture.

Terrain Texture Tip:

If you reduce the transparency of the image, it will cause the texture to only show up on the steepest parts and it will look a lot more realistic. The cliffs don't appear all the way from the river to the top of the ridges. Experiment with different transparency values to get the cliffy-ness you want!

I worked on some KY river terrain for my Frankfort map and this made it look a lot more realistic.

Keep up the good work!

• Original Poster
  • TR-170802-01-TRR_title_Post_038.jpg.96e08e57fc9050313c23783f5ea6e07b.jpg

A busy week as I work to get ready for this fall's bike trip down the Mississippi.

I keep plugging away at planting trees, though.  An hour or so every night.  Here's a short update with two comparisons between Jessamine's Google Earth overlay and where I'm at in foresting the quad.

TR-170802-02-TRR_screenie_038.jpg.48d346ba35d3bde2e114f65aa319a71e.jpg

That's what I'm hoping I wind up somewhere close to.

TR-170802-03-TRR_screenie_038.jpg.ca989c2518358534bca000ad43e9f8d2.jpg

I wish I could get a rollover script to work here at ST.

Madtony, I will be playing with the transparency of the cliff textures.  Right now I'm blending and hiding with trees, but I think your solution is more elegant.  As I recall, I already have the texture set at 80% opacity.

Here's a closer in comparison.

TR-170802-04-TRR_screenie_038.jpg.b35b451f804645e81162dcf5f1a5aa86.jpg

Google Earth...

TR-170802-05-TRR_screenie_038.jpg.88970d5a01f3196a0e6389bf7394c6e1.jpg

...and where I was at around 11 last night.

Cheers!

David

24662/358