Cyclone Boom

Simtropolis 9.0.x - Bugs & Issues Report Thread

504 posts in this topic Last Reply

I suggest that trying to link to a social media site for an image is futile because these sites managed to scramble the media type indicators.  I use imgur without a problem for all types acceptable to the site.

IMHO social media sites are a curse on the Internet.

5cd7e742d1e147444af06aa0c61cadb7.jpg

Still the same error though

About the contributors, isn't that only referring to the rep-points?

Save it to your computer then upload it and see if that works.  Import from URL can be wonky.

Currently, I'm not seeing any issues with chat... try again?

it seems that I find the problem is when try to load the chat server, for somehow it ends up cant find server though nothing happened in the chat windows other than looping stuff.. here what I got when try to load the chat in firefox 39 (latest update)

jlaD4.png

it keep looking up, even for minutes I wait, nothing happened...

The chat is a 3rd party service so it's not in our direct control, I'm not sure what to suggest, could it be a firewall or something like that...

5cd7e742d1e147444af06aa0c61cadb7.jpg

Still the same error though

About the contributors, isn't that only referring to the rep-points?

Save it to your computer then upload it and see if that works.  Import from URL can be wonky.

Currently, I'm not seeing any issues with chat... try again?

it seems that I find the problem is when try to load the chat server, for somehow it ends up cant find server though nothing happened in the chat windows other than looping stuff.. here what I got when try to load the chat in firefox 39 (latest update)

jlaD4.png

it keep looking up, even for minutes I wait, nothing happened...

The chat is a 3rd party service so it's not in our direct control, I'm not sure what to suggest, could it be a firewall or something like that...

Oh well it seems that I cant access the chat anymore... ISPs here have problem with some sites.. Thanks for the information.. :) 

So I'm getting an error code EX2 when I try to view certain images on the Gallery (like kingofsimcity's most recent image for example). Am I the only one?

Can confirm, occurring on my end too.

So I'm getting an error code EX2 when I try to view certain images on the Gallery (like kingofsimcity's most recent image for example). Am I the only one?

Same. I got the error after I submitted the picture, and further attempts to edit/fix the information resulted in the EX2 error as well.

Edited by kingofsimcity  

Same. I got the error after I submitted the picture, and further attempts to edit/fix the information resulted in the EX2 error as well.

Should be fixed now.

Edited by Dirktator  

That error code (EX2) is from the cloud.  I never see it in my work because I don't use 'the cloud'.  As far as I am concerned clouds are security risks.

The cloud servers enable small storage devices like tablets and smart phones to have access to much storage, but with someone else's space.  I like to have my own space for privacy reasons.  I do use imgur, only because my private web site is too expensive for the space requirements.

Something has happened to disable the Link box.  Now it just reverts to the example and does nothing.  Fortunately you can just embed the link directly, but without a synonym.

EDIT 6 hours later.  Seems to be OK now.  Is there some limit on the number of links one can have in a post?

For all that this is supposed to be new code, it seems to have several organic features where if you touch X, Y quits even though there is little or no relation between X and Y.  I have had to maintain programs like this and often wound up rewriting large sections of the code or even the whole thing.

Edited by A Nonny Moose  

Well,it seems that this is a Problem that only occurs on the mobile Version of Simtropolis.

From time to Time and sometimes more frequent opening a random Thread or klicking on the Page forward/backward to read the other entries of a Thread opens some rndom redirections and i end up on more or less sketchy sites.Sometimes it`s something more harmless like the Google Play Store or some Online Bet Sites but once in a while i get really weird stuff like this:

Screenshot_2015-08-17-10-44-45_zps4qw5ha

Screenshot_2015-08-17-10-09-04_zpsiyaljm

The only Solution to this is just closing the Browser and open again because clicking " back" (you know,last page) always gets me back to that weird stuff.

Any Fixes for that or is it something that can`t really be fixed?

Browsing mobile is incredibly obnoxious, I can tolerate giant ads between posts (barely), but I can't tolerate pop-up ads every page load that attempt to load something from the App Store. It gives me the impression that Simtropolis has seriously sold to advertisers, or the site is crawling with spyware and rogue scripts. No bueno.

I suspect that this problem with mobile is with the browser that is in use.  Does it have any means of blocking such ads?

[rant]

Mobile is a boil on the body public.  I don't use it, and will never use it.  It is far to easy for fraudsters to plant nasties.

[/rant]

I've noticed the aforementioned random sites using mobile ST... not super excited about this. It has never been a problem with ST in any version before.

Also, I've noticed the CJ section seems to be counting views differently than before. It seems to be way undercounting. I am attaching a picture comparing ST and the off-site flagcounter.com for the same content to illustrate the contrast (ST recording 6x fewer views... something which did not happen before).

hmmm_zpslt9yrlel.png

Edited by Schulmanator  

I'm not exactly sure why Simtropolis was upgraded to 8, wasn't the last big update just 2, 3 years ago at most? The other version worked great on mobile, and looked pretty slick as well. Moreover, if I recall correctly, I think that 7 was the one that replaced 6, which hijacked browsers by instituting its own right-click behaviors, highlighting, and others, and 7 didn't do that, making it a huge improvement in my eyes.

As for mobile, yes, I know mobile sites are generally stripped-down and are annoying defaults, but the mobile is unacceptable compared to the old one, which, while stripped-down, at least worked properly. I can assume that all this will be fixed soon, 7 had its own set of problems initially, but to me it's just fixing what wasn't broken. Maybe I'm just an old fogey and would be perfectly happy using forum software untouched since 2004...but then again, my user name was picked for a reason...

"No man can serve two masters.  He will either cleave to the one and ignore the other ..."  -- Somewhere in my copy of the KJ Bible.

PC is the main master here.  Mobile uses a totally different hardware decor and as a result entirely different programming at the workstation.  I would be very careful in expecting a web site to be everything to everybody.  I believe it is incumbent on the mobile systems to be smart enough to look like a PC when running a PC-type browser, and to have all the necessary ad-blocking tools necessary.

Of course, one must remember that consumer mobile is nothing more than a vehicle for advertising using the Internet.  As such, funny results such as those reported might very well be the intention of the developers of these operating systems.

As with all public facilities, one can expect the bad actors to be there.  Remember that the Internet is a broadcast medium, and the bad boys have all the access that anyone else has.

Expecting Internet sites that are basically designed for PCs to behave like custom mobile sites is asking rather too much.

File search seems to be suddenly obtuse.

Used to be, I could search in the STEX and it would give me a list of files that matched the criteria.

The new system, if I search in "Files" it searches both the file descriptions themselves (what I'm looking for) as well as comments, which clutters up the results by either returning the same file two or three times (if the same search term was mentioned in the comments as well as the description) or comments for files that have nothing to do with what I'm looking for (if that search term for whatever reason was mentioned in the comments).

Is there a workaround for this?

For all intents and purposes the search here is broken.  I'd suggest using the advanced search on Google.  Just open another tab on your browser.

Edited by A Nonny Moose  

• Original Poster
  • @Beren Erchamion

Maybe try sorting by "Relevancy", using the option on the top right:

yRZKeZN.png

After a quick test using a few terms, I noticed this listed the files before comments / reviews.

The developers are aware of the search limitations, and have plans to overhaul it in upcoming releases. Apparently, this will also include an option to search in titles, along with other 'enhancements'.

For now, if it'd be helpful, I'll try and look into making this a default sort option.

@Beren Erchamion

Maybe try sorting by "Relevancy", using the option on the top right:

*snip*

After a quick test using a few terms, I noticed this listed the files before comments / reviews.

The developers are aware of the search limitations, and have plans to overhaul it in upcoming releases. Apparently, this will also include an option to search in titles, along with other 'enhancements'.

For now, if it'd be helpful, I'll try and look into making this a default sort option.

Yeah, about that... this is really not going to be fixed until the next release? Because as of now I'll have to agree with Nonny. Having to choose between either sorting by date and getting a huge mess or sorting by relevancy and getting dates all over the place is a real humongous issue and I wouldn't have taken a badly dysfunctional search system on this site (of all sites!) as a problem that could wait out until it's time to overhaul everything anyway, I mean, come on... Is there no way this can get some sort of a hotfix?

Yeah, about that... this is really not going to be fixed until the next release? ....

I wouldn't have taken a badly dysfunctional search system on this site (of all sites!) as a problem that could wait out until it's time to overhaul everything anyway, I mean, come on... Is there no way this can get some sort of a hotfix?

Easy now... don't jump to conclusions! Just because he says that the search will be overhauled in upcoming releases - doesn't mean that we'll have to wait years for it...Could happen sooner than you expect ;)

Look at Cyclone's post here; http://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/69039-equinox-files/#comment-1592282

• Original Poster
  • In terms of core features, the changes are very much in the hands of the developers (as part of the forum suite). Much like a video game, they provide a base product which can be modified to a certain degree. However, some things are built-in and not able to be changed, at least not easily. That's not to say things can't be tweaked, but there are limitations to work around (Dirk has the best insight on this).

The devs are listening to feedback, and finding new ways to improve the software. The initial release was quite raw -- a complete rewrite from the previous board version. Lots of little things have been fixed since, and the stability is continuing to be improved.

Accessibility is a big theme of the upcoming update, which should be released in a few weeks time. Hopefully this will expand the search options, or at least help step in the right direction. We'll keep you posted... :)

I am not sure that the prior version needed replacement considering all the agony with getting this one going.  Pulling the big red handle was the same as any I have ever seen.  This is why in my checkered career we often ran parallel tests at 0300.  In one instance we left the system running during production hours to see if anyone noticed the changes, and other than comments on better results, no one did.

I know this is much more difficult with a 24/7 system, but remaking the data base could surely have been mostly done off line while the old system ran.

• Original Poster
  • Hi I updated the email of my account and now i'm locked out of it because I am unable to verify the email address. The email never gets sent to me. This is the account, can you fix it please. Thanks.

Hi,

Looks like there's currently a few issues the mail system. We'll get that looked into.

I've manually reactivated the account for you, so it should now be accessible.

This might be too late now but I just want to share that I am having a hard time inserting URL into my posts. The window shows up but every time I click insert to post nothing happens. I'm currently using Opera and Windows 7.

So I'm not the only one with this problem. And yes, I also have Opera and Windows 7.

If by URL you mean inserting a hyperlink, I've had the issue as well.  Seems to work fine right now (FF on Win7) but I know I've seen the problem before probably on my home PC (Safari 8 & 9 on OS X 10.9.5).